Search Unity

Unity 4.5 Xcode iPhone Splash Screen, Can't Build

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Dahku, May 30, 2014.

1. Dahku

Dahku

Hey all, so this is incredibly frustrating. I haven't had to work in iOS for awhile, but as one of our apps requires updating I've made all the necessary software updates so that I now have the following:

OSX 10.9.3
    Unity 4.5
    Xcode 5.1.1

Went to Build Run the project through Xcode and it worked fine the first time. Tried it the next day to test finished changes, ready to send off to Apple, and was met with this error log:

From searching around I gather this is a problem going back to at least 2011, but we've published six apps to the App Store since 2012 and never encountered this before- and needless to say I've never touched the splash screen.

At first I thought 4.5 broke it, but it struck me odd that it ran fine the first time, so I tried a different project... and it seems to work fine consistently. I then figured perhaps the Unity project itself was corrupt, but I tried both rebuilding the Library and restoring from a pre-4.5 backup and neither worked. I've also done all the usual cleaning out and renaming of projects for Xcode, deleting the App off the device before building, etc... nothing works.

Here are the warnings with the broken project according to Xcode:

The working project is the same except it doesn't have either of the "Images.xcassets" issues.
    One thing of note was the working project's Xcode launch image folder had one different image from the broken project (I think it was Default.png), so I tried replacing the broken one with the working one. This removed the "unassigned images" warnings, but still insisted that I tried removing the Unity splash screen.

So yeah, this is pretty infuriating, especially seeing as 4.5 was mostly a major bug-fixing update. I've tried about everything I can think of short of an Xcode reinstall (2.18 GB via the App Store on my Internet connection is torture), so I thought I'd throw this out there in the hopes someone else has experienced and conquered the problem or might suggest something I haven't thought of.

Thanks for your time!

2. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

please try cleaning in xcode before build and killing app itself from the device - ios is a funky beast regarding caches and all that

3. Dahku

Dahku

Thanks for the suggestions, Alexey! I just tried the following two approaches, both unfortunately ending with the usual result:

1)
    -Build Run from Unity, closed out the bad build from the iOS device itself and deleted rather than stopping from Xcode.
    -Product->Clean from Xcode, then attempted build again. Same behavior.

2)
    -Attempted to simply "Build" from Unity. Interestingly, the only warning when opening the resulting file in Xcode was the "Validate Project Settings", even after Product->Clean. The iAD.mm and Images.xcassets warnings only appear when attempting to build.

Both times I used fresh output names for the Xcode folder, as well as clearing out old project memory from the Xcode Organizer.
    Also forgot to mention before that both the computer and iOS device have been restarted throughout this process.

Indeed, I've heard of iOS / Xcode and their strange caches and whatnot, but it really has me baffled that not only does another project work, but this one worked the first time. If there was a time to break it seems like it would have done so on the first attempt to run from new versions of both Unity and Xcode. Can't imagine where things went so wrong. :(

4. KrazyKev

KrazyKev

I was having the same problem:
    You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from your game

I found that changing the Unity Build Settings => Player Settings... => Target Device from "iPad Only" to "iPhone + iPad" fixed the issue.

I also noticed that after creating this initial "iPhone + iPad" build, you can then go back and change Target Device to "iPad Only" and it works as expected.

Noor-Ali likes this.
  5. Dahku

Dahku

Wow, it seems you've nailed the problem, KrazyKev! This also adds up with why the other project worked as it was "iPhone + iPad" while the broken one is "iPad Only"- but it never would have occurred to me because... why?
    Regardless, thanks very much!

Unfortunately though I'm having no luck with changing it back to "iPad Only" through Unity. Tried a bunch of combinations with Xcode (appending project, replacing project, etc.) and no matter what "iPad Only" is a death sentence. It does seem to work through the General settings in Xcode though if I change "Universal" to "iPad" after the initial build... any idea if this is safe for Apple submission, or is it bad to change that setting behind Unity's back?

Thanks again KrazyKev! Really appreciate that being your first post here. XD

6. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We will try to reproduce this, but just in case please submit a bugreport with project of yours.
    Thanks!

7. Dahku

Dahku

Okay, just managed to reproduce the problem with a blank version of the project and submitted the report: 611126
    Good luck fixing it!

8. terencetan

terencetan

I'm having the same bug and nothing I will fix it tried all above plus previous advice of compress png's to no..Had to downgrade to 4.3

9. Dahku

Dahku

Thought I should mention, we tried submitting to Apple after setting it to iPad through Xcode (which worked fine on our end), and they rejected it on the grounds that it crashed on startup, so... I'm guessing Unity 4.5 simply can't submit iPad-only apps. Really hate to roll back to 4.3 though; work done in 4.5 aside it looks to have fixed a lot of iOS bugs. Most frustrating...

10. Tom-G

Tom-G

I saw this issue after changing to an iPad-only project in Unity 4.5. I tried reverting to 'universal' in Unity and then changing the setting in xCode but -- confirming Dahku's report -- the IPA build produced thereafter crashed on startup (even though it ran fine in xCode before archiving for distribution).

11. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

And.. it was fixed in Unity 4.5.1 :)

12. BTStone

BTStone

Just wanted to mention that I got this bug today for the very first time.
    Created a build - got the error. Created another one - no error.

I don't know how this "bug" works :D

13. manispin

manispin

For my case, if the Xcode project have the resource file as below, the "removing splash" crash occurred.
    Default.png, Default@2x.png, Default-568h.png, Default-568h@2x.png
    When I remove those files from the project following by uninstalling the developing app, deleting data at "organizer->project", cleaning, rebuild worked

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  14. baptiste

baptiste

I have the same problem since yesterday with unity 4.6.1 and xcode 5.0.2.
    I tried this last solutionwith a new and blank project but nothing fix the problem.
    Anyone can help?

15. AnniGL

AnniGL

Ok, the same problem here, with Unity 4.6.1 the bug is back! can't compile my app with Xcode 5.1, nor with Xcode 6.1.1 not even with the new beta of Xcode. What is happening? never had this problem before! now it always says: "You are using Unity iPhone Basic. You are not allowed to remove the Unity splash screen from you game" (which, of course, I didn't)

16. AlexMtl

AlexMtl

Yup I upgraded to xcode 6.1.1 and Unity 4.6.1 and this old bug is back, effectively preventing me from submitting my app to the app store... pretty annoying to hit that road block after 7 months of development

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Did you manually uninstall app from device before retesting with newer Xcode?

18. Illauriel

Illauriel

I had the same issue with Unity 4.6.1 and Xcode 5.1.1. Tried Cleaning the project, manually uninstalling the app and rebuilding with different target device settings to no avail.
    There was a strange warning during the build
    I tried replacing Default-667h@2x with a copy of Default@2x and voila! It managed to build properly and I even had to manually remove the build folder to reproduce the initial bug. For mr it is consistently solved by the aforementioned method.
    Hope it helps! :)

Aksoft likes this.
  19. Aksoft

Aksoft

Thanks for sharing this... it saved lots of time

20. Defero

Defero

Hi,

i am having the same issue with with Xcode 6.1 and units 4.6.3. I am a bit new on OS X and i can't find Default-667h@2x image. Where is it located in the Xcode project?

21. Defero

Defero

22. vpinto

vpinto

Thank you! I had the same problem and the above thread fixed it for me! however every time that i go to build the project the files return!

so, this is still a problem for me. How can i save the xcode file so that unity doesn't add the unnecessary files in every time i build.

for reference, got a pro trial from global game jam, and when it ended.... my projects couldnt be built to iphone

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  23. Noor-Ali

Noor-Ali

I have a project of unity 4 and I can not upgrade to unity 5. I'm facing same issue. I've installed unity 4.7 and issue persists. I've tried everything but issue remains same. Please help