Search Unity

Unity 4.5? What are the plans?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Spidyy, May 27, 2014.

1. Spidyy

Spidyy

Hey there,

All is in the title, does the unity PSM team intend to upgrade the editor version to the anounced 4.5 to get the new bug fixes and editor improvements?

2. PeterD

PeterD

Let's not forget all the PSM fixes Uniq has done! If the new patch system is indeed in them it should be possible to get a patched beta going!

3. Morgen

Morgen

Does anybody know about PSM support in Unity Indie? I have this section in build menu, but it's not working and module manager shows nothing. Is it available in Unity 4.5 Pro?

4. lavz24

lavz24

when the new plugin?

5. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

It says the module support is only for android, iOS and windows phone at the moment.

More platforms will be supported in future versions :)

6. zezba9000

zezba9000

I would also like to know if the released version of Unity for PSM will be based on Unity 4.5?

7. PeterD

PeterD

Actually I'd hope it's based on 4.6 otherwise we miss out on the amazing new GUI system. :mrgreen:

8. zezba9000

zezba9000

I agree. But still if they use the 4.5 code base now, 90% of it will be rdy for 4.6

9. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

For various reasons, the next PSM release will be based on 4.3.4 again.

If there are some specific editor fixes in 4.5 (or one of the 4.3.4 patch builds), we may be able to get them in. (All depending on time, resources, how big the changes were, and how many people need them etc etc)

Let us know in this thread, if there's enough demand I can look at a more appropriate place for it (like the issue tracker)

10. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Expanding a bit on those "various reasons":

Since PSM is based on our regular PS Vita support, we are (currently) tied to the Unity version used for PS Vita (and the other consoles).
    The PS Vita support currently has no plans to update to 4.5/4.6 before doing the upgrade work for 5.x.
    Neither platform would be able to utilize the module-manager mechanism introduced in 4.5, since they were not part of the original release plan for 4.5.
    So, PSVita / PSM would still have to be shipped as a separate Editor build - making it less attractive to make a 4.5/4.6 release anyway.

But - this is not set in stone, and we will re-evalute this after the 'official release' of Unity-for-PSM (which is scheduled to happen within 3-4 weeks).
    And, as Graham said, this release will still be based on Unity 4.3.4, just as the Public Preview version.

11. Spidyy

Spidyy

Thanks a lot for the explanations. :]

12. rustinlee

rustinlee

Would be fantastic if we could get Physics2D.IgnoreCollision from 4.5 in the next PSM release.

Not holding my breath since it rather exceeds the scope of "editor fixes"...

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  13. Toad

Toad

There are quite a lot of fixes in 4.5 that would be useful for PSM (e.g. 2D fixes/improvements). Would be good to get these in PSM as soon as possible (i.e. before 5.0).

LightYarn likes this.
  14. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

Could you let me know in this thread which editor fixes in particular would be of a big help to you?

15. Spidyy

Spidyy

The fixes are quite numerous to enumerate, but among the new features :

From http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new :

Any improvement to box2D could be of use to us, making 2D games.

It is always good to have faster scene load, especially when working on a game with many scenes.

Faster import for shaders, and the better error reporting. I work a lot with custom shaders for my game and I could really use those improvements.

Always usefull too to have a better view of 2D setups, and an improved API.

From http://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.5 :

A new way to sort complex scenes and have some control over the order of the objects processing is always good to take. :] And some sweets to help code our custom editor stuff.

I often fear my game designer will tend to add multiple time the same script on an object, when the script needs to be unique to the object. And more serialization is also welcomed.

About the detailed notes, well, We could use all the following groups of improvements :

In summary, I just skiped all the plateform specific stuff. Vita don't use either OpenGL ES 3.0 nor DX 11.

We could use the following group of changes :

I skiped the plateform specific stuff, and the Substance group. I'm not sure about ProceduralMaterial stuff and caching.

We could all the following groups of fixes :

Phew, that's quite a list, but I selected all the improvement, changes and fixes that are of use for us developpers.

If I had to select a priority, I'd say the 2D physics (new joint and new Box2D version), loading speed of the Monobehaviours and the Editor improvements.

16. PeterD

PeterD

Basically exactly what I had said. that the final version should be based on 4.5 but, ideally 4.6 for the new GUI system. There have been far too many necessary fixes in 4.5 for the release version of PSM to be realistically based in 4.3 territory.

I suspect that it's too much work to do to up the version for end of June so parity for 5.0 is likely the best that we can hope for.

I should say that as long as the rendering bugs like the shadows and view distances are fixed I'll still release a game this year to PSM.

Edit: I'm also practicing my curses for when I run into stuff I'm using in 4.5 that is missing or broken in 4.3!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  17. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Right - but basing the next version of PSM on 4.5/4.6 would definitely delay it - and that would contradict the general consensus (?) to get critical bug fixes (like the one for the camera clip, etc) ASAP.

But then doesn't it make more sense to get a version ASAP that fixes the most critical bugs, and get an update (possibly based on 4.5/4.6 or 5.x) later this year?

Stelitz likes this.
  18. Spidyy

Spidyy

Sure, bug fixes first. But we don't spit on some more features afterward. ;)

19. treygner

treygner

Hey,

Now we have the official version, do you have any plan to move to the 4.5/4.6 ?

Switching between 4.5 and 4.3PSM version is starting to be really painful :/

20. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Try doing that, then also having to move between Mac and Windows. Takes around 2 hours for large projects just to get iOS builds from Mac to windows then onto PSM build. ^_^

21. PeteD

PeteD

Yea I've developed a healthy fear of cross platform with Unity PSM. It's good and all but, I'm currently converting stuff to the beta 4.6 for the new UI. Stuff that takes a few minutes like a menu or even an in game ui is now an entire new scene when I move back to 4.3.
    Now that the grunt work is one on 4.6 I would hope that Unity are converting up all of their console versions to at least that. I mean don't even get me started on the Wii U version (mainly because I can't rant about it here anyway).

22. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

You've made wiiU games? Which? Hows the console compared to other platforms.

I think i recall somewhere that the next PSM LARGE update will be 5.0, but there will be the occasional hot fix to keep things running smoothly. But don't take my word for it, i may have dreamt someone said it.

23. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

This is indeed the current plan.
    We won't release PSM for Unity 4.5/4.6 because we want to focus on bringing you PSM for Unity 5.0 as soon as possible.
    But we may need to release another hotfix of PSM for Unity 4.3 before that happens.

24. mike950

mike950

Can you guys just open source it?

25. XeOniFiCaTiOn

XeOniFiCaTiOn

Dont think that would be a viable option as Sony would not be able to monitor the number of developers that are working on the platform [may it be large or indie teams] if it goes Open Source. Also this kind of a system ensures that the manufacturers are in close ties with the people who are interested in developing for their platform rather than telling the public "Here is everything we got, Use it for what every you want to do!" .

26. mike950

mike950

Don't they monitor it by making you sign up for a developer account?