Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.5 mono.exe virus detected problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Charles-Li, May 27, 2014.

1. Charles-Li

Charles-Li

I just installed the Unity 4.5.

Norton 360 detected that "programe files (x86)\unity\editor\data\mono\bin\mono.exe" with SONAR.Heuristic.120"

The mono.exe is isolated, and the unity editor has "compiler couldn't be executed" problem.

Please Help!!!:confused:

2. danny275

danny275

Exact same problem here. I've tried reinstalling several times. Re-importing all assets and excluding the unity folder from Scanning and still can't fix it

3. andav51

andav51

Same problem here. Installed 4.5.0 then got a virus warning in mono.exe when I changed one of my scripts. Come on Unity, you're better than this.

Screenshot: $Capture.PNG (http://i62.tinypic.com/2qd3994.png)

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. danny275

danny275

Fixed it!

I uninstalled Unity for the 90th time, ran ccleaner for registry errors (not sure if that actually helped), then told Sonar to not scan the Unity folder (by going in to settings > Anti-Virus > Scans and Risks > Items to exclude from AutoProtect, Sonar and Download Intelligence Detection) and then re-installed Unity. No errors.

Hopefully that helps one of you

heyilovepie likes this.
  5. Charles-Li

Charles-Li

If this is not a false positive virus scaning error, Will there be a Unity 4.5.0.1 clean package to be published later?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a false positive as far as I am concerned.

7. andav51

andav51

Given the number of recent high profile security breaches at companies like Adobe, Ebay, and Target, I'm going to err on the side of caution and have reverted to 4.3.4 for now until this gets sorted out by Unity. Luckily, I installed 4.5.0 on a test machine first to try it out.

8. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

First time I build my project with Unity 4.5 Avast interrupted to perform a deep scan and reported back no thread was found. So seems like Unity 4.5 is triggering something and depending on the virus scanner you are using you are blocked or not.

9. danny275

danny275

That was short lived. Shut down PC, reloaded Unity when I turned it back on and the errors are back without Norton doing anything.

10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

If it's not a false positive, then yes. But it's a false positive.

11. Charles-Li

Charles-Li

Say so, I am a little bit feeling more confident to free the mono.exe from the quarantine now :rolleyes:

Thanks.

12. D Glenn

D Glenn

Greetings! I don't think it's a Unity problem as much as it a Norton 360 Issue.
    As a graphics programmer I use Visual Studio and have my stuff Quarantined by norton to the point that I'm ether going to have to go to Symantec Enterprise (that is more development friendly) or seek another antivirus product. Norton is good for blocking stuff but it's Quarantine nearly anything that fits a pattern and is not in their database. They have a sight for Symantec Enterprise for reporting False Positives and sometimes it get migrated into Norton 360 but I think you have to have an Enterprise licence to use it! Of course I'm just a graphics programmer (I'm not a anti virus expert) so I could be wrong!

D Glenn

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  13. fu22ybunny

fu22ybunny

Maybe I'm just pedantic, but whether it's Symantec's issue or not, why would Unity not seek to resolve the issue? Why would you risk even the notion that there is something nefarious in your software. At a minimum, at least investigate the issue and explain why the Norton line of products identify it as a threat. It reflects poorly on Unity to simply say its not our problem, deal with it, we have better things to do. Boy, I can see that attitude biting you in the ass if you ever do have a compromised installer.

14. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

I'm getting this problem after updating to 4.5.3f3. McAfee keeps identifying mono.exe as a trojan (message "Artemis!33406AFADDE2") and deleting it. Haven't been able to find a solution after much searching.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

I've had to revert to 4.3. I'm hoping someone is aware of the problem that mono.exe can be mistaken for a trojan, because until that's fixed, it looks like I won't be able to upgrade.

16. dietlime

dietlime

Both of those programs are trash that literally gets uninstalled as an ACT OF MAINTENANCE and you're uneducated at best if you let them hold you back. Do some research, and possibly own up to your mistake if you paid for that garbage, Mcaffe and Norton are nearly useless trash. UAC style confirm-to-run code browser plugins and an solid understanding of such advanced concepts as "executable code" and the formats that can contain "executable code" makes you neigh-invincible to malicious code today.

If you aren't savvy enough to know that, you probably aren't savvy enough to develop games; the straight dope- get out. Anyone reverting Unity for Norton is an imbecile. The horse's mouth is right there saying it's a confirmed false positive.

Unity is a game engine, not a social network.

You have malware interrupting the normal function of your computer (operating on the assumption that you aren't intelligent enough to know what's safe and isn't.) You're on Unity3D.com, clearly you're a power user. Which piece of software is the malware?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  17. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

Hey, Dietlime, thanks for the insults!

I'll give you an opportunity for more:

Part of my problem is that I have no choice but to use McAfee, and no control over its settings. That is all controlled by the institution I work for, which has installed McAfee Enterprise on my office machine.

All I'm doing is this: I download the Unity installer and run it. It does not install because at a certain point mono.exe is encountered and deleted. I thought (from what was said above), that I am not the only one having this problem. I assumed that I too was dealing with a false positive. Unfortunately, I cannot myself exclude mono.exe from the scan. I will ask my local tech support about it, but they are usually no help.

I have scanned my machine with various products, and it always comes out clean.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  18. komodor

komodor

disable antivirus realtime scan when using unity

19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

That may be part of your problem, though. McAfee isn't really know for being a good Anti Virus Software. Stay clear of Norton as well, if possible.

When did you update your Virus signature the last time? That usually helps for antivir software if several people send in reports for a fals positive.

20. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

[Edit: I can't do that. Any changes I attempt are overridden by the Enterprise]
    I have installed 4.5 on a different machine -- one that does not have McAfee Enterprise on it -- so I'm OK for now.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  21. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

I've sent McAfee a false-positive report of my own, so maybe that will help.
    Thanks.

22. ggunhouse

ggunhouse

This did not work for me. The Access Scan kept re-enabling itself. The answer, in my case, was to disable the Access Scan AND stop the Windows McAfee Framework service. Everything re-enables itself when I reboot, but I can install and use Unity 4.5 now, as long as I remember to do those two things before running it.

23. JohnHoworth41

JohnHoworth41

This is not a norton problem this is a unity problem as i have just had the same thing happen to me after i did a refresh of windows 8 yesterday so i re i dowmloaded 4.6.1 from the website and norton picked it up then i realised i still had the 4.6 exe still on my computer from when i downloaded a few weeks ago and norton does not pick up any viruses from that version...

24. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

You're saying your Norton has reported a virus in the 4.6.1 version you downloaded? That is extremely unlikely, but more likely to be Norton coming up with a false positive.

25. DiGiaCom-Tech

DiGiaCom-Tech

Having same/similar issue with the v4.6.1f1 I downloaded & installed ... tried telling Norton Sonar to ignore the Unity folder but that only worked for a day. Have sent bug reports & e-mails to Unity but as of now they have not responded.

26. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The QA team will respond if you have a bug they can reproduce. As I said two weeks ago, this is very very very unlikely to be a bug in Unity.

27. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Again, it's almost certainly Norton 360 giving you a false positive. My guess is that it doesn't like that mono.exe contains some code which generates code (the Mono JIT compiler, a core part of the technology).