Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.5 editor window has blurry text/font.. bug or feature?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AnomalusUndrdog, May 30, 2014.

1. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I searched through the forums and issuetracker and haven't seen any mention of this:

Left side: Unity 4.5 from a blank project with some assets I imported from asset store. text looks blurry (or is this some sort of antialiasing feature?).
    Right side: Unity 4.5 from a project upgraded from Unity 4.3.4

Do you guys know of any setting to turn this on/off?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. hausmaus

hausmaus

This appears to be related to DirectX 11. By default, all new projects in 4.5.x (at least as of 4.5.2f1) are set to use DirectX 11 under Edit > Project Settings > Player. Turning this off will get rid of the blurry IDE text problem, but of course it also disables DirectX 11. Hopefully we can get this classified as a bug.

3. kdokdo

kdokdo

Hi hausmaus, I've tried the solution you suggested and disabled Use Direct3D 11 under Other Settings in Player but it didn't help :( Any other suggestion? I didn't turn off what I had to?

4. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

Hello! Have you changed to Window 8, 8.1, or changed your monitor? I had recently gotten a 1440p display, and Windows 8.1 was attempting to rescale everything which made all my text super fuzzy.

Ironic, considering I had gotten the 1440p display specifically for crisper text.

Here's a post on how to "disable display scaling on high DPI displays" it if this is in fact why you are seeing fuzzy text.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...-b051-b7d51e13ba0f/windows-8-blurryfuzzy-text

hannesloots and AnomalusUndrdog like this.
  5. Freezy

Freezy

Thanks this fixed it right up for me (dx11 win 8.1)

GarthSmith likes this.
  6. Numbatoo

Numbatoo

I just got a new laptop that has a nvidia 970m and installed unity 4.6.3 to follow a tutorial...same deal, disabling dx11 fixed it for me. Haven't tried Unity 5 yet on the laptop to see if its better in the latest release.

7. Trung-Hieu

Trung-Hieu

Hi,

Sorry for necro this thread. Allow me to post my solution:

I have a laptop with 1366x768 screen resolution. I just upgrade the screen to 1920x1080 and notice Unity 5.3 have this problem. I am using Windows 10. I solve the problem by:
    - Turn in Windows's ClearType (in Control Panel, search for ClearType. You might need to calibrate your screen. Just follow the instruction there)
    - Find Unity5 program, right click and select Properties->Compatibility. Tick "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". Click OK and restart Unity.

Hope this helps :)

8. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

Another necro post, after a year I found a solution that worked for me.
    I had to -force-d3d9 to work around this problem, but I really need to be running OpenGL for my project.
    In my NVIDIA Control Panel I had Antialiasing - FXAA turned on. Turning it off solved my problem

unity_wD7088tqdXEzYw likes this.
  9. Hexodust

Hexodust

10. ds44

ds44

For me, turning off "Antialiasing - FXAA" in nVidia control panel solved the issue.

11. tovabele

tovabele

closed project tab, then opened a new project tab removed blurry text for me.

12. MolhamM

MolhamM

PC build :Here's a video how to do it in 1 min

mobile build : make it best fit and max 300 and It will work fine on mobile however it might look blury on Unity.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. Burridge

Burridge

@MolhamM that is not what this topic is about. This is an issue with the editor UI text specifically.

I realise this is a bump but I had the same issue just now after a fresh install of Unity (it's been a while). I have tried all of what has been suggested in this topic.
    I am using the latest LTS version of Unity (2018.4.6f1). I was hoping to start playing around with Unity again however, while the text is blurred with no obvious fix for me I cannot use it, it gives me such a headache.

14. jamesreb

jamesreb

For me switching to a different unity project and coming back again did it

15. Burridge

Burridge

@jamesreb I just tried this, it did not work either. :(

As an update to my previous post:
    • I have updated to the latest version of Unity (2019.2.0f1)
    Still the same issue. Forcing openGL seems to not work at all either. I am using Windows 10 Education, on a 1080p 23 inch monitor.

16. dmax9

dmax9

In version 2019.3.10f1 I changed Edit > Preferences > General Editor Font from "Inter (Default)" to "Verdana" and that helped