Search Unity

Unity 3.x Scripting - new book from packt

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by lukasaurus, Jul 3, 2012.

1. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Does anyone have this book? I bought it (had it on preorder for a while).

I'm not sure if I am just not reading it right, or if it is the most poorly written educational book I have ever tried going through.

Not even up to page 20 and they can't distinguish between gameObject and GameObject, declaring Boolean instead of boolean, and changing code half way through examples. The support files are all messed up and the book refers to opening a project that doesn't exist (instead, they give you a package file containing most of the files, except for the blank scripts, which are just in folders for some reason. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to link the blank scripts back to their prefabs).

Whoever edited/tested this book did not do a very good job.

The authors say things like "Do this here. We'll cover why in a later chapter", or worse, the suggestions which turn out to be essential in order to get stuff to work.

Does anyone else own the book yet and find it awful to read?

On the plus side, it does make you think, since you have to figure out what they are trying to say.

2. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I think that the book is a waste of money because of too many errors. In Chapter One, the book doesn't tell you to create a new scene and the script code may be wrong.

3. Captain_Dando

Captain_Dando

I've had problems non-stop with that book. I can't believe I blew so much money on it, not to mention I had to wait about a month for it to get delivered. There are many, many inconsistencies and the code in the book doesn't work. it's hard to follow, and all of the downloadable assets are missing parts.

4. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

What script errors are you getting? It could be possible you are causing the errors not the book.

5. vdek

vdek

Terrible book is terrible, don't waste your time with it.

6. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

It's definitely his coding causing the problem, because the book doesn't provide complete versions of the code. It tells you how to code it. Which isn't a bad thing, but half the time they tell you the wrong things (ie, use gameObject instead of GameObject when declaring a variable type).

7. Merries

Merries

Im having a heck of a time with it myself but what Im going to do is contact the writer because it has alot of goodies I would like to learn.

I sent him PM here he has not gotten back to me yet. I think he should put out a revised version that would be the best bet.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  8. weijie

weijie

Sadly, I know the author of this book. He was advised several times to remedy problems with the book but never did so. The Author was only out of college when he attempted to write this with a friend of his.

Those of you who are actually needing and wanting answers in regards to this book, you can reach him, Devon Kraczla at devonkraczla@gmail.com. Don't be surprised if he doesn't answer. He may have quit the game industry.

9. noahgamedesigner16

noahgamedesigner16

i have it but i cant make this script work.

10. noahgamedesigner16

noahgamedesigner16

have you seen the wall example the shooter script isnt working. id like it to work it showed a picture of what its should look like and it just shows error and stuff