Search Unity

Unity 3 Vs. UDK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mangopork, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runner

runner

UnrealScript programming strategy

Calling DLLs from UnrealScript (DLLBind)

Be fair who is comparing Apples Oranges?

2. saymoo

saymoo

Most of you here are acting like they are personally being bitten, when someone has some contra "unity is the best" comments.
    That's inmature, and zealot behavior. (like many Apple fanboys do too)
    People can only post comments that is positive for Unity, or else..

It shows by quotations, misplaced in context, to Unity's advantage (in opinion).
    Contra posters are left alone (How dare he/she post this! it's a crime!), because the Unity zealots are bashing all over it like a consipacy act (with in many cases blind to reality agruments).

I'm not the only one experiencing this, i've read more threads here that where kicked upon by the others (unity gang), because those posters dared to speak of something that Unity was not so good in doing.

To bad.. sad even..

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. andorov

andorov

What you are describing, is what you are doing.

It seems like the people on Unity's "side" are the ones pointing holes in your absurd logic with facts, while you continue to make unsubstantiated opinions. No amount of logical rebuttal is going to change your opinion. Yes, UDK is the best!111!!

I fully admit that Unity is likely slower than UDK in some circumstances, but you are still wrong in calling it a 'C# based engine' that is '20x' slower than UDK. You are also wrong in asserting that UnityScript is somehow superior to C# when Epic itself doesn't think so. ;)

4. npsf3000

npsf3000

Ohh the 'poor me' defense.

You a spreading the most absurd falsehoods.

People take offense.

Pretending that it's because we are unity 'fanboys' is simple an excuse for you to ignore your own faults.

5. jgdeschamps

jgdeschamps

Warning: Art quality comments only ahead...
    UDK handles big scenes using big hardware. So, it's not because UDK handles only AAA graphics for demanding games and it's exclusive to it. It's the hardware that can take care of the eye candy. You want to use DX11? Use DX11 hardware... just remember, it's not UDK the one that does it (nor the only one that can access it.) Give Unity enough VRAM memory and I can assure you can achieve AAA results. -SHAMELESS PLUG: I'll be posting soon some art that I'm achieving with both engines-
    It all comes down to your art quality. You can build within Unity a level that uses prefabs as small building blocks, just like in UDK you use static meshes, and it'll be just as playable and optimized as in UDK. Or just like UDK, Unity can handle huge meshes instead of small bits. And you can use the free Strumpy Shader Editor for visual shader programming in Unity to create your own shader that mimics what the included UDK art assets use to build levels (mostly a shader that uses a diffuse map, AO map, specular map, normal map, reflection map and detail map, all in one. Unity does not have a default shader that handles all these maps at the same time, but you can do it, no prob.) Again, nothing fancy, but hardware demanding.
    Scripting? They both use similar approaches. Unity uses JavaScript, C# and Boo... UDK uses UnrealScript, which is referred to by Epic as extremely similar to JavaScript... so there you go.
    Matinee? Bleh, neither Unity's nor UDK's animation tools compare to a dedicated 3D software animation tools. Just trigger those animations within your engine, don't create them.
    UDK does have little details to additionally detail your game, like static mesh painting, the particle system -which again, is great.-
    But nothing you can't achieve with your regular external tools.
    Comments like "this engine is for small things and this engine is for big, badass games" is nonsense. Use a tool that fits your workflow, not a workflow that fits your tool. Don't choose an engine for a type of game, use one that accepts your externally created content.

6. saymoo

saymoo

@NPSF3000, Runner, Andorov, Dogzerx and others,
    No it's not a defense attempt at all, i can take quite a few severe hits.
    This is an overview of events. Reflecting the situation going on.

The way you guys are reacting (the agressive approach towards a contra comment), says more about your behaviors than the poster (in this case me).

Also you guys read very selective (for your own gain, which is understandable: read below), since you ignore the details being posted, the context.

I'm not angry or anything, i'm just stunned by how the situation exploded into a sort of mild bitch fight. And reading back, it became clear to me. I cannot expect (quite logical if i think about it) a productive chat about diverse engines in an objective manner, on a forum where most are biased towards the a specific engine represented here. (hence this a Unity forum)

Let's drop it.. ok? :)

7. npsf3000

npsf3000

This tends to happen when someone trolls after being corrected.

Do you still maintain that:

* Unity scripting is slow.
    * Unreal scripting is faster than unity.
    * Unity is a C# based game engine.

???

8. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I just want this thread to get bigger for ever! <3

9. saymoo

saymoo

Will you stop bitching around? thanks. :) (You should read up on what a forum troll is)

Unity scripting is slow, in context (as i mentioned before, read back). Unrealscript is too (read back).
    But on runtime, Unrealscript is executed faster, because the engine is faster in executing things.
    Unity needs Mono for runtime, even if i use solely Javascript or no script at all, just a static scene, i still need mono. odd eh? no so much.
    hint: it's a C# engine, whaa? yes that's right.. a C# engine.
    Reason: otherwise it would not deploy on multiplatforms easily (either editor or end product).
    that's the beauty of C# it can run on any OS (with mono that is). Write/compile once, deploy everywhere.

ok, next? or shall we (once again) drop it? :)

10. andorov

andorov

This and the C++ vs C# thread make my head explode. So many wild assertions in both ^________^

11. andorov

andorov

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I guarantee you UnrealScript is absolutely, fundamentally not faster than C#. Did you even read Epic's own guidelines? Where they tell you to *not* use it for any heavy lifting AT ALL? They tell you not even use it for making the player move. ROFL.

Quote: 'In other words, use UnrealScript only to handle the "interesting" events that you want to customize, not the rote tasks, like basic movement, which Unreal's physics code can handle for you.'

If you can't use the damn thing for running around, good luck doing anything with it.

I've got 100 units running around on a map with pathfinding, collision avoidance, network sync and AI. All in C#, and I spend about 2ms per frame on it. Ugh.

12. npsf3000

npsf3000

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/50219-Unity-3-Vs.-UDK?p=603190&viewfull=1#post603190

Your *opinion* has no evidence, based on... I'm not sure what, and is clearly flawed.

It's the simple things 'even if i use solely Javascript', that highlight your ignorance.

If you know so little about one of the most important aspects of unity (and at the same time, UDK), how can you possibly provide an opinion of them in any sort of technical way.

13. saymoo

saymoo

I did not say fundamentally faster... as language.. READ and try again!!! (sheesh)

14. npsf3000

npsf3000

Well how about you try to explain better?

I don't think anyone in this thread has yet figured out what you are trying to say. (Though I could be wrong, my access to the forum is too slow to do immediate checking).

15. saymoo

saymoo

Why on earth would i NEED mono to execute some Javascript? explain me.. since you simply CANNOT in relation to the NEED of mono.
    Each language can be programmed so it can interpreted another language, why MONO? (the slowest interpreter for c# is in that context beyond me)

16. npsf3000

npsf3000

Because UnityScript is compiled to/in MONO?

JS, Boo and C# are just different forms of the same end code.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/index.Script_compilation_28Advanced29.html

'CANNOT' explain it my ass.

17. andorov

andorov

You have big misconceptions about Unity's flavor of JavaScript. Unity's JavaScript compiles into CIL. All variants of C# also compile into CIL. Once everything is compiled into CIL, a platform-dependant JIT (Just In Time) compiler takes CIL and optimizes it for the target platform. The Mono compilers are used because they are cross-platforms, as opposed to the the Micrsofot compilers which only optimize for Windows.

Since, I'm spreading the wisdom around today, instead of working. I'll go into some technicalities about how C# works. C# is often called an 'interpreted' language, which makes even grizzly programmers jumpy. They think, 'aahhh, shi*, its like JavaScript... slow as tortoises, right?' Technically, C# is an interpreted language, but there's a catch. After you write your C# code and 'compile' it, it turns into some thing called CIL (Common Intermediate Language). At this point, your code merrily heads off onto different platforms -- androids, linux, ps3, you name it! Once it gets to its targeted platform and begins execution, it is 'interpreted' into machine code. Yep, it turns into actual machine code, just like C++. The code is then cached by the compiler to prevent performance degradation. That is why I *know* that C# runs 8 miles ahead of UnrealScript, because UnrealScript is never turned into machine code.

18. saymoo

saymoo

ok, let me try all over again... perhaps i used the wrong expression, words, terms and whatnot.

Someone here started to quote blocks from Epics site, with a clear reason: bashing (by out of context proof) on Unrealscript in relation to execution speed of Unity's scripting languages. (in this case C#)
    following me? good, let's move on.

Epic ment, to say in relation to c++. Ofcouse is native code way faster!! No sh*t Sherlock, earthshaking news..not.

So i got annoyed by this abuse of quotation to "proof" something to dismiss the competition.
    And i retaliated with the same amount (20x) in contra agrument.

Than "hell" start to brake loose, because diverse members where falling ontop of this 20 times contra agrument.
    And somehow did not understand/got my sarcasm in the post i made.

I mentioned that the execution was faster in UDK, because of the deep optimizations done in the engine.
    Again hell broke loose, because diverse members where interpreting this as "Unrealscript language is faster than c# language".
    I did not say that, i say it's executed faster in UDK.. meaning the engine is faster with all kinds of things, including execution of scripts. (IO etc)
    But somehow i could not make this clear to many of you. (i guess it's my fault, by using maybe wrong wording here and there)

The whole "discussion" shifted topic, and became a "C# is a better language compared to Unrealscript because...." topic.
    While i was lured into participating in that praticular discussion, which had no use, since it's offtopic, and became more and more aggresive by the minute...

Eventually I tried to go back ontopic, but since emotions run high for many (including me, for annoyance of being misunderstood), it became impossible (so it seemed).

I mentioned Unity is a C# (based) engine, since it requires mono (c# runtime). Again this was bashed upon.
    It is a C# engine, even UT has in the past explained it (unfortunately i cannot find the evidence now) a long time ago. (arround the time when the windows version of the editor became announced)
    They shifted to mono, and rebuild everything to match it .
    This was needed because for portability sakes. (MAC, Windows and future OS's)
    It's true.. (where is that article.. what news site published it back then.. cannot remember.. damnit)

Anyway....
    Unity is not optimized as UDK is, and that's fine.
    Nothing bad about that. I stated that many times, but diverse members ignored that comment, which is quite important for opinion sake.
    I even mentioned the areas where Unity rules over UDK.

So i'm not bashing Unity at all. I'm just trying to differentiate the two, objectivly as possible (although impossible for every element).

I hope this makes it more clear on what i tried to explain. :)

19. runner

runner

Right that's the link i was "thinking of" but have had little time to find, I rather see facts than a bunch of assertions.

And my references about unrealScript using dll's and unity using dlls too access c++ was hardly a wrong comparison.

On Unity's own page
    Scripting Overview

20. janpec

janpec

From start to finish of your post: Nothing makes sense. Post like yours has been written 1000 times before and i am always happy to comment on it.

Its not UDK that can hanndle AAA scenes? Do you even realise how pointless is that what you said? If UDK doesnt have 90% of its features and you have hardware for 20.000 dollars right now will you be able to use it for game? Both hardware and software features are important but since we are talking about software here....

I really like Strumpy shader editor what that man has done is great, but it is clear that UDK has better material editor, it is much more flexible where it is more "material" editor and not shader editor, which gives you freedom with creating of every material.

Matinee comparing to Unitys animation tools is well i will say just better. It has better control over animations. Afcourse noone is creating character animations in it.

Again regular external tools for mesh and terrain painting in Unity are good, but comparing to UDK its like saying Zbrush and Sculptris features are the same.

And saymoo dont get disturbed by other peoples comments. When you use your approach and start threating Unity badly you are going to get flammed by many users.

21. andorov

andorov

When you start making up stuff, that's when your random assertions will be confronted by people who, for the lack of a better phrase, know what they're talking about.

No one here is attacking saymoo, simply the wild assertions (s)he is making.

Correction: I called him 'thick' which was in poor taste. :(

22. npsf3000

npsf3000

Original got lost, this is terse.

Oxymornic?

False.

Unity is written in C++, with the following exceptions:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/9675/is-unity-engine-written-in-monoc-or-c.html

You have no evidence.

Your rationale is faulty.

Your knowledge is faulty.

You cannot quantify how much faster, or demonstrate where it is faster.

It is documented and demonstrably false in scripting.

I give you that, unfortunately in some area's you are wrong and you persist to deny this.

23. JRavey

JRavey

I see no ground has been gained by either belligerent faction in fourteen pages.

24. andeeeee

andeeeee

Couldn't agree more. Threadlock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.