Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. daimaku

daimaku

thanks chobi, i will try the firsts ones videos !!!

2. Learner

Learner

Hi, I have a simple question/request: Where can I see a demo of 2D Mario Clone tutorial?

Thanks

Learner

3. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi open768. Yes, that was actually one of the apps we looked at early on in setting things up. For the moment, we've decided to keep it ultra simple, however as more course material is developed we could certainly make good use of moodle. Thank you for the suggestion.

Hi MChez. Thank you for the donation, we appreciate the support. :) When it comes to the Apprenticeship program, we are holding off till our other projects are complete, which means it will likely start up towards the end of summer.

Hi Daimaku. When it comes to working through the course, I would also suggest starting with the Syllabus, which provides a nice roadmap on the what, when and how of it all. Let me know if you have further questions along the way. Thank you.

Thank you Chobi, I appreciate the assist.

Hi KillahKill. I've sent you a pm. Thank you.

Hi Learner. We have a build of the project (small part) online, available here: http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_2d_mario_example_1.html

The build (11mb, not optimized on art) highlights a couple of features that we develop during the training; including a Mario like control scheme, coin collecting, tube warping and breakable bricks.

4. Vincent_soo

Vincent_soo

Hi ProfCWalker really thank a lot for thetutorial, i am starting as zero in your website and i learn a lot in it, i have just finish the
    Game Development - Project 1, how can i get the password to continue the project 2? is it need to sent you the project 1 to do list?

Hope to continue learn in your website, i enjoy a lot in your tutorial

Thank again

5. Kaldarash

Kaldarash

Hello,

It appears that there are some videos missing. Your videos skip from 18 to 30, and in the 18th video you say that it will take some time to go over all the properties and parameters of the more complex game objects, and you say, "we'll be going over that in just a little bit", then the next video, number 30, it's not explained, and we've also passed the component section of the menu.

Is that correct, or is something not right?

6. insomniacl

insomniacl

I noticed that too. I think all the videos are there.

Follow this master list: http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_training___free__.html

If the topic is the same, you should be OK. I'm on Lab 1 so far and it seems all the videos are there.

7. insomniacl

insomniacl

Hey Prof C Walker,

I was wondering if you had a separate / external forum for support and discussion for students taking your course.

I'm just about finished Lab 1, but it would be great to be able to ask questions with others who have already successfully finished the projects.

Thanks!

8. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi MrMons. It's great to hear you completed the first lab. When it comes to submitting the work, be sure to follow the steps found here. Once we review the work, we'll be happy to provide you with the next Lab project. :)

Hi Kaldarash. You haven't missed anything, yet. We left those (1-18 - 1-30) open for some videos in the future, including the 1-07 to 1-11 spot. Hope that helps clear it up. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.

Thank you isomniacl for the support. Wonderful idea with the forum. We had intended to have that going from the start, however with our limited time, we felt it would be best if individuals contacted us through email and/or posted to just this thread, so that we wouldn't have to maintain too many things. :) As things progress, we'll continue to make adjustments and additions as needed. Thank you!

9. Malarhak

Malarhak

Hello there, I just completed lab2 today, and I'm posting there just to thank you for this again.

I really appreciate your learning method. Since on the game industry, we always need to search things, again and again. Like a function on the API, a piece of script for some pathfinding, or I don't know what.

A lot of tutorials for game/programming are just telling you what to do. The good thing with yours, is that the "on your own" objective are just what the students need to learn by themselves. Not too difficult, kind of related to the tutorial, but we still need to search a few things by ourselves. And that's the better way to learn in my opinion.

Now, the thing that would make this good course an awesome course would be a forum, or any place like this for people to present their work. By having this, students would be more motivated to create a "good" game, because the others on the forum would be able to see their work and tell them like "Hey, nice work dude".
    Of course, I know this would be a lot of work, maybe too much. But you could for exemple choose a few community members to help you keep the forum (or whatever it would be) alive and review the game projects.
    Anyway, thanks again for all this great work :)
    Oh and, sorry if my english isn't good, french here

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  10. monsterhead

monsterhead

Yea I think the "On your own" part is ingenious and really makes you learn the stuff from the vids.

11. pothb

pothb

One question, is there any pre-made stuff to use when going through the tutorials?

I find it hard to follow when you do open up something, like a sprite or something, and I'm stuck looking around for something to replace it, and not to mention it might have different animations or whatnot.

So far, one of your videos have you opening a grayscale heightmap, and I haven't been able to find one on your site to follow along, should we make our own? or is there a link somewhere? You never mention either, and I don't see anything when I was checking around.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  12. Malarhak

Malarhak

Had the same problem with the heightmap, but don't worry it's the only one time where you'll have this problem.
    But it would definitely be cool to have a web link for the heightmap, or anything.

13. tarek3d

tarek3d

Woow!!
    Really Wonderful!
    it's too great
    Thank you a lot
    i'll see 'em ithink they will be very helpful
    thanks buddy

14. pothb

pothb

I see...

One of the reason behind my question is though is that later when we do the mario imitations, how will we do them without content or will we make them ourselves?

15. Kanly

Kanly

if you read carefully over at their site:

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_start_here__free_.html

Code (csharp):
    1. 2D Art Pack: If you get an ‘A’ for the first Lab Projects (1, 2 and 3), then you will receive an excellent set of 2D Sprites to work with for the fourth Lab Project (Over 512 frames of animated character goodness and 85 sprite assets for the environment). If you receive a grade of ‘B’ on any Project, you get ‘Programmer Art’. :) (Note: We don’t average grades, each project grade stands on its own.)
    3. 3D Art Pack: If you continue to pass with an ‘A’ after that point, you will receive a complete set of 3D assets (Over 54 game objects, 80+ textures, and 8 game characters) for your ‘Final Lab Project’. If you receive a ‘B’, then you get ‘Programmer Art’
    it's written there that you get the assets

16. Kaldarash

Kaldarash

I wonder, if we take the test multiple times and eventually get an "A" on it, do we get the special art packs? I've taken the first one twice now and just barely missed the mark. Tomorrow I will try to take it without being distracted though, and now having read up on a little that I didn't expect to be on the test, and I feel confident that I can get a near-perfect score. Also, I think I was a little over-confident since I had followed a few tutorials a while back, and felt I knew enough about the application itself to not need to review everything and "practice" using it.

I'm just hoping that these things don't hinder me from getting the "A" art pack(s).

17. pothb

pothb

Ah...... damn, I somehow read that wrong. Somehow I read that as grade for the whole course... like after you do everything you get that as bonus with the certificate.

18. Kanly

Kanly

it's my understanding of the text that only the labs grading counts, not the exams...

19. wingedfox123

wingedfox123

i have to sign up for vimeo to watch the videos dont i -.-

20. insomniacl

insomniacl

Nope, you just need the passwords for the exams (which you can get by passing the first exam).

21. Kaldarash

Kaldarash

Oh, yeah. I suppose it does say that. I wonder still though if we can improve the labs and have them graded again. I don't think I'll do poorly on those though, in "the field" is where I shine; tests not so much. I hate reading and I can't pay attention so well, haha.

Just passed the first exam, dreading the hotkey one! Lol

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  22. Kanly

Kanly

again, you should read the text carefully, it does say that you can only submit the labs once...

23. Kaldarash

Kaldarash

Sorry, I didn't see anywhere that I've been directed to that told me I can only submit a lab once. I actually have been reading each page I've been sent to quite thoroughly, despite the fact that I don't like to read, as to not miss anything. I went back and read the pages I've been directed to so far and didn't find it. Perhaps it's written on some page dedicated to one or all of the labs that I haven't seen.

Thank you though, for helping me. I appreciate it.

24. AlexisVaillant

AlexisVaillant

Hello WalkerBoys,
    First of all Thank you very much for this training, it's complete and enjoyable !

I finished the lab 1 videos and i'm currently trying to make the "Your Own" part. But i'm stuck with the counter for blinking sphere :

I tried to use InvokeRepeating but it seams to not work properly while it's use in the function Update. In the function Start, the counter is in seconds, but in the function Update it seams to be in frames. So whatever it suppose to do, it will do it super fast.

I tried with the Time.deltatime, which work fine until I tried to get a specific time. It just doesn't work :
    Is there anything that i'm doing wrong ?

Thank you

25. Kanly

Kanly

I bet there's tons of approaches you can use to solve this, lateral thinking! the solution doesn't have to be in the script!

26. csprason

csprason

Alexis, there is nothing wrong with the code you have wrote, but you are asking the code to do something that you don't want.

You've identifed the variable "timer" as a float and are asking at each update the value to increase by Time.deltaTime (also a float). This means each occasion the figure is increasing by a very precise float number (for example 0.0048). You want the code to print "OK" when the figure hits the number 3 exactly. The chance of it hitting 3 exactly, considering the increments that the timer variable is increasing on each update, are very remote. You want it to print on exactly 3, but it isn't going to hit 3 exactly.

I hope this helps and you can figure a way to change your code accordingly!

27. AlexisVaillant

AlexisVaillant

Thanks both of you,
    You helped me think out of the box, and gave me some good hint too look for what I need.

28. pothb

pothb

Hello... Question again.

After taking the exam, are we supposed to receive an email regarding our test results? It says to provide your email to receive results of the test. Is that not implemented yet?

Also, you spelled gaming and optimization wrong on two of the questions.

Test was pretty well put together though, looking forward to the rest of the series.

29. Kewl

Kewl

Why are the videos of unity app 19 interface - app 29 interface missing in vimeo?

30. pothb

pothb

I believe.... somewhere in this topic, the TC posted that he's leaving it blank for future videos.

31. Kaldarash

Kaldarash

To quote the man himself;

32. Kanly

Kanly

If I remember correctly, I didn't get any email from the first tests, only from the labs. When you pass the test, it shows you the password for the next test as well...

33. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

Great tutorials. I love the decent difficulty and speed. Until now, I could understand almost everything.

However, I'm stuck in Lab 01 - "On your own" tasks.
    May someone, (who also is at this point, maybe), help me with some of them?
    I need some minor help how to achieve the blinking and the placement of the 3-2-1 countdown on the circle.

EDIT:
    Blinking works, at least for the sphere. Countdown timer works but it is not on the sphere yet.
    Still need some help with the tasks "Random spawn time for sphere" and "Provide the cube to move randomly across the scene". :confused:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  34. DaDare

DaDare

Hello there,

is it possible to download the videos in HD?
    Someones uploading it to rapidshare or FTP or something like that.
    I want to start using unity 3D for the blackberry Playbook.

35. insomniacl

insomniacl

Random spawn time: use a counter to count down time, and use a random range to generate a random time variable.

For randomly moving the cube across the scene, try a random.range for X, Y, and translating it.

36. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

It works... kind of. Thank you. *bows*

Now the timer is still F***ed up. As long as the respawnWaitTime is 1,2,3, etc. everything is ok. However, if I have a float, the timer does not start at 3 but at 2.7 or something and never gets back into its dedicated rhythm. Though I reset the timer right after the respawn function.

Code (csharp):
    2. var timer : float = 3;  // Timer for Circle
    4. function Update ()
    5. {
    6.     timer -= Time.deltaTime;
    8.     if (numberOfClicks <= 0 || timer <= 0)
    9.     {
    10.             [....]
    12.         RespawnWaittime();
    13.         timer = 3;  // Timer back to 3
    14.         }
    15. }

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  37. Superpescado

Superpescado

I have a question about lab02 regarding the shield scripting section.

In the shield script video of lab02 I was not able to get the shield script to detect a collision event with the asteroid game object without adding a rigid body to the shield prefab. The confusing part is that it will detect a collision with the bullet game objects that pass through the shield mesh when instantiated.

It's not too big a deal since I can get everything to work by adding the rigid body but I'd like to be able to replicate the lab exactly. I have watched the videos from the creation of the shield prefab to the shield script and I can't pinpoint my problem. I am not getting any errors either so I'm kind of stumped. Anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong.

38. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

I seem to be having a problem accessing the lab 1 videos ,I've completed all the training videos and was given the password for Lab 1
    but I only get the intro video .
    Am I missing something ????

39. Kanly

Kanly

I had the same problem and I think I learned a ton from that "mistake", I'm not sure you should be posting it here, since it's a spoiler of sorts right?

open the videos from the lab 1 description page:

http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_course_lab_1.html

there's a section called "Lab Videos", you can access all of them from there

40. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Thats just it I can watch the first video but all the rest in lab 1 , I can't access not sure why

41. pothb

pothb

What does it tell you when you try?

And yea I'd like to have them downloaded as well, but I suspect the reason that isn't so is because of the passworded process.

42. newcode

newcode

Hey guys.- Sorry if i totally missed the point.
    But so being new to all of this- Ive been suggested taking this course, and looks great.
    but im kinda confused about something- - - -

You get grades, unlock other videos and such. . . But seams youd have to signup for something like that. . . So not sure how it all works?
    (sorry if its clear as glass, but im lost haha)

43. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

Well... you just enter your name and email, do the tests and get the passwords for the next tests.
    That's all for the first four online tests, as far as I remember. You do not sign up for anything in the exam's window.

It's way more difficult when the labs start. Then you have to finish all topics plus the "on your own" tasks. Then you have to send your result to the Walker Boys / post it online at some self-made blog. Afterwards, they check if your example of the game is good and has no flaws. If so, you get the key for the next video series.

(and I still do not get the timers right for the first lab *frustrated*)

Hope I wrote it understandable for you. :]

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  44. newcode

newcode

So the only time i need to provide any details is at the end of a project?

45. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

You need to show them the results of lab 01 - 04 per mail or per link if you upload it at some blog.
    For the online tests, you only need to enter your name, your email adress and your job...

Have a look at one of the exams, then you know. :)

46. newcode

newcode

hehe all makes sense now.- Thx man

47. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

You're welcome.

I still need some help with that f**ing circle countdown.
    I tried multiple ways but none of them worked correctly.

My var timer is an integer and counts down every second (by help with timer2, which is a float counting each second by second with deltaTime).
    If I left the circles alone, it works fine. If I click on them to make the point, the timer always jumps back to 2 but not to 3.
    Though I always switch it back to 3 after both options.
    I do not want to post the actual code here to avoid spoilers or something.

I just want to pass that damn quality check by the Walker Boys. -.-

I officially am searching for someone now, who is quite at the same spot in the tutorials like I am currently (Lab 01). Teamwork. ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  48. pothb

pothb

It's on your own for a reason, though I don't know harshly they are on that.

That said, it sounds like somewhere in your code you set it back to 2. Check where you have the timer reset. I'd say add a statement that separate it from a circle or a square. Not sure if that's right, but it seems like it.

49. mafiacarstarter

mafiacarstarter

After submitting my Lab 1 project, i noticed that there were two different sets of instructions for what to do to the game after the videos ended.

From the Script Reference video

And:

From the Lab 1 details page.

Silly me, I didn't go looking for more instructions when I thought I had gotten instructions.

50. pothb

pothb

I followed the ones on the page.

The ones on the reference vid are ridiculously easy. Doing those instead might be a disservice to yourself.