Search Unity

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Bdanster

Bdanster

Hi,
    I just finished lab 5, but it does not seem to be working right. Can someone please post their completed project so that I can compare my lab to yours. It would help me out tremendously. Thanks!

2. brigosx

brigosx

Hi to all. I just finished my Walker Boys study and completed all the projects and I want to share them with you all. Please feel free to leave a comment at my blog by clicking at the URL below:
    wboys.thepdacorner.com

Thank you very much.

3. fugitivodesnudo

fugitivodesnudo

Hello,

I have almost finished the 4th Lab Project, but I have one doubt.

-In the video "part 22 - 1 tube portal component" (which URL is: http://vimeo.com/album/1567704/video/21907723), when Mario enters in the pipe, he is translated to the center of the screen, but there is no code in the script for that.
    Why does this happen?

http://imgur.com/bYx2Cig

At the en of this video, when all the script is written, Mario is translated to the other tube, but there is a short period of time where he is in the middle of these two tubes and I don't understand why.

Thank you very much,

Fugitivo.

4. profcwalker

profcwalker

@brigosx: Great job with the projects. :) Just wanted to let the others know that you passed and we would be sending out your certificate. Thank you for working hard and keeping focused all the way through.

@fugutivodesnudo: On the tubePortalTo it needs a transform to move mario to a position. If none exist then it just places him at 0,0,0. :) For when he moves, it's based on the yield to get there, which lets the user decide how long it will take.

Let me know if you have further questions, or just drop me an email. Thank you!

5. fugitivodesnudo

fugitivodesnudo

Hello,

Okay, when there is a yield, Mario is in the 0,0,0 coods but when the screenshot was taken ( the one shown before ) there was no yield yet. And also there was no call to the tubePortalTo transform. I mean, the code only called aniSprite, player control script enabled, translation down and PlaySound and even that Mario was still teleported to the middle of screen. I still don't understand why. :S

Thank you very much for your fast reply and your effort!

Fugitivo.

6. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

7. ConnorTheScot

ConnorTheScot

Being new to the community and to using the Unity engine, this is definitely something i look forward to getting my teeth into.

Thanks gents!

8. bluedusk

bluedusk

Hi,
    Thank you for these wonderful tutorials!

I have finished the 4th Lab Project, but I have one doubt about vidio "Part 65: Change Player State",
    The thing is : When Mario turn to small state , the "collisionBoxBody" won't collide with it until i move mario.

It happens in such situation:

0) don't move mario when play
    1) start scene 23 (Mario is large)
    2) gumba collide with mario and mario turns to small (this works fine), gumba continues chase mario
    3) gumba won't collide with small mario, it will stuck a little bit and pass through mario
    4) move mario
    5) gumba will collide with mario
    6) mario die

sorry for my english, hope i've made myself clear.

Thanks a lot !

9. alexmillette

alexmillette

Is there a way to get access to the finished scripts for reference. I have a problem where we script the cameraZoom, probably a little joke somewhere in the script but when I check the cameraZoom or cameraZoomHeight the control stop working.

10. alexmillette

alexmillette

Never mind I found it. Wasn't in script but since I had to find the missing tutorial there was some stuff missing in the downloaded tutorial scene that I had put in the other scene following the tutorial.

11. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

Hi Bluedusk,

I had the same problem. It turned out that my Mario and Gumba were shifting a little bit on the z-axis (in opposite directions) to the point that the colliders didn't collide anymore. Resetting the z-axis did the trick for me.

Succes!

12. goshlive

goshlive

Dear ProfCWalker

I am a lecturer of a game development and I am very interested in using the free materials below to support my teaching.

But I have problem in downloading the source as I am in a restricted zone to access the Vimeo site from my country.
    I would really appreciate if you could point me to a bulk downloadable link to download the full materials.

Thanks so much!

Rgds
    Gosh

13. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

In lab 5 I had a problem with the angle slide functionality. Although I followed the tutorial, Mario wasn't moving on the slide. This was due to the use of the Keyboard controllers. In the function KeyboardMovementSpeed (ControllerSystem script) the following lines of code prevented Mario from moving:

if ( !Input.anyKey )
    {
    moveSpeed = 0;
    }

To fix this I added an extra private boolean isSliding to the ControllerSystem, to prevent the moveSpeed going to 0 while sliding.

14. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

15. Kendokan

Kendokan

Hi
    I'am very happy that it existe somehwer on internet a course of this quality.

I will start it soon but i want to know wich version of uniyt i sould use

The Unity 3 klike mentionned on the course sylabus or i can go to 5 or 5 version?

16. tyoc213

tyoc213

I think you can almost go with 5, you only need to "update" calls like instead of some.animator some.getComponent<Animator>() and things like that... (it should be not much difficult to "interpolate" between the old and "new concepts"... perhaps??)

17. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Kendokan,
    Great question. I'm actually working over the files today and will have them ready for Unity 5. The videos will be the same, however we'll have the code in the projects so you can follow that when needed. Hope that helps.

18. Kendokan

Kendokan

Thank you for your answer, but i still have some interrogations!!!

So , i have no experience in Unity , this is why i am asking this :
    1)The interface beetween unity 3 and 5 have not chnaged? This is why it doesn't matter wichj version i sue ?

2)Do yo uadvice i do the couurse wiht unity 3 and after that the skills can be easily transfered to future version or that i go direcly to 5 because the interface is the same?

19. boylamn

boylamn

Why the website don't work anymore since about three days.
    Is there any specific date to return to work again.

20. Brutusomega

Brutusomega

The website is back on.

21. Charlio86

Charlio86

Hi everyone!

I have problems with the BCE0051 error:
    Assets/Scripts/numbersTest.js(38,37): BCE0051: Operator '*' cannot be used with a left hand side of type 'float' and a right hand side of type 'Object'.

This is the line 38 where I had the error:

function aniSprite (columnSize, rowSize, colFrameStart, rowFrameStart, totalFrames, framesPerSecond)
    {
    var index = Time.time * framesPerSecond; // time control fps
    }

Ok so, I know that Time.time is a float and framesPerSecond an Object. What I need to know is how I can still having framesPerSecond inside my function and use it to declare variables.

Sorry if I explained a little bit wrong, thanks for all!

22. Charlio86

Charlio86

Ok I think I got it...
    I declared every variable at the function:
    function aniSprite (columnSize:int, rowSize:int, colFrameStart:int, rowFrameStart:int, totalFrames:int, framesPerSecond:int)

I'm right?

Also, congrats for the new looking site, it's great!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  23. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you. :) Also, we've converted all the code over to work with Unity 5 (js an cs). I'll try and have those up in the next couple of days.

24. AllegedSmoot

AllegedSmoot

Hi!

I just wanted to say thank you so much for all these tutorials and that the quality is top-notch! I've actually gone through the first few modules about a year or so ago (up through the space shooter). I got bogged down with college stuff and had to stop, but now that I'll have a lot more free time up this summer I'm picking it back up! I'm starting over to refresh my mind on all the concepts, and am looking forward to hopefully getting through the whole program!

Just to clarify on some early questions regarding Unity 5, is there anything we need to know about the differences in the videos? You said that you've converted the code to work, but just to check are you replacing videos too? I just want to know before I get to the javascript tutorials and get all confused because things aren't working properly.

Thanks again for all you're doing!

25. profcwalker

profcwalker

@AllegedSmoot: Thank you. For the videos, we'd like to, but have not had the time. For the js side, you'll want to be sure and make variables you call up from other scripts 'public'.
    Ex: public var lives : int = 3;
    And be sure to structure your GetComponent calls like this:
    Ex: GetComponent.<AudioSource>().isPlaying
    or
    Ex: GetComponent(AudioSource).isPlaying

Hope that helps. If you have any questions just send me an email. :) Thank you!

26. Kendokan

Kendokan

HI
    I want to thank you for all the work you do. I just want one more confirmation: so now we can go direct for Unity 5 ?

27. profcwalker

profcwalker

Yes you should be able to. The unitypackages that we have on the site have all been updated to Unity 5. :)

28. Brutusomega

Brutusomega

The first day you created your new site i saw the code of mario 2d and 3d being available to buy for 3 $ but now its not there anymore.Have you removed this offer?
    I would like to buy the code because im on mobile internet with limited traffic and cant watch all the videos.

29. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi Brutusomega,

Yes, we are hoping to get those up by next month. I'll be sure to post here when they are available. :) Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you!

30. ZRTaylor

ZRTaylor

31. profcwalker

profcwalker

@ZRTaylor: Great job with the first project! It was fun to play, great sounds, and solid writeup. Thank you for posting. :)

32. PokeRwOw

PokeRwOw

Hello !

Thanks for your tutorial this help me a lot ! But I have a problem after downloading and launching your source file from mario 3D tutorial.

Error :
    Certainly, I need adding an input but what insert in ?

Thanks per advance !

PokeRwOw

33. profcwalker

profcwalker

@PokeRwOw:
    Sounds like an input isn't assigned.
    Question: Did you open the project, or import the project in to another scene/project?
    Also, just sent you an email to get more information.
    Thank you.

34. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

Is there any tutorial 2D mario Clone written by C$?

Thanks!

35. profcwalker

profcwalker

@Charlie_T: Not at the moment. I converted the others over to C#, then ran out of free time. :\ Many people have gone through the training and converted it along the way. If you go that route and need any help, just email me and I'd be happy to help. Thank you!

36. Charlie_T

Charlie_T

@profcwalker: Many thanks.

I will try on javascript first and will try to convert to C# with my way.

Thanks for your help.

37. profcwalker

profcwalker

Happy to help. Have fun! :)

38. BlondLion

BlondLion

Hi, is this course still available? I've just finished the Project 1 - Click and Destroy.

By the way you should update the videos <.< They are all in JS (even if there are 2 playlist on c# coding posted 9months ago) and with deprecated functions.

I'm a newbie, so i took about 6h to finish the first project following the videos, cause i had to compile all in C# (cause this is the language i prefer to expertise) and with Unity3d 5.4.x, and it is really different for almost everything, from the inspector to the code :(

And then i spent about 4hrs to make it looks better <.<

Sorry for my English :(

This is my first project:
    https://blondlion.itch.io/candd2

This is the Prezientation:
    Project 1 - Click and Destroy

Michele

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  39. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi BlondLion,

It's great to hear you are going through the course. And yes, when we first made the course it was developed based on Unity's push for unityscript. Since then they have changed their focus to c# (yea!). There have been many, many changes to Unity (interface, toolset, api) that we are waiting to record (and update) further videos till after they stop changing stuff (Probably v5.5). :)

Also, awesome job on the first project! Great to see you using the new gui system for the menu and hud. The particle effects have a great pattern to them when they explode. Also, nice job thinking through the layout and background setup.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way. Thank you!

BlondLion likes this.
  40. BlondLion

BlondLion

Thank you for the Feedback! I really appreciate it!

I've just finished to upload the second project: Space Shooter 2d!

Here's the Prezientation!

I'm really enjoying this, even if i'm getting some hard headaches!

This is the Space Shooter: https://blondlion.itch.io/ss08

Could i get a grade based on your rating for every project i'm making?
    I don't know others new developers i can use to compare my skills, so it is difficult to understand if i am doing well or not!
    Also, I see I need an high grade to take the certification at the end and it would be easier for me to modify these projects now, if i get low grades, before will pass too much time :p

Sorry for my english, I hope you will be able to understand me anyway :(

Thank'you for your service!

Ah, the hint for DrPetter's softwares was AWESOME!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  41. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi BlondLion,

Awesome job on your latest presentation! Great to see you using prezi. :) Nice to see your time used on coding and design. :) Also it's great to see some fun art added to the project. The gameplay was fun, audio was enjoyable and the challenge was well balanced. :) Thank you again for posting and working through the Space Shooter project. I look forward to seeing your next work. :)

42. BlondLion

BlondLion

Hi!

Thank you again for the feedback!

I'm stuck at the 3rd project, at the:
    Part 25: Tool 2D Ani Sheet Step 5 – UV Offset Scale FPS

I cannot make it works fine in C#.
    The problem is that i can't use float variables (time.time and framesperseconds) inside the integer "index" variable that we should use to calculate the offset variation through module operations.

In Js this is the script:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. var column : int;                                        // x (u) coordinate
    2. var row : int;                                            // y (v) coordinate            
    3. var framesPerSecond = 8.0;                                // speed of animation
    5. function Update ()
    6. {
    7.     var index : int = Time.time * framesPerSecond;        // time control fps
    8.     index = index % ( column * row );                    // modulate
    10.     var size = Vector2 ( 1.0 / column, 1.0 / row );        // scale
    11.     var offset = Vector2 ( index * size.x, row );        // offset
    13.     GetComponent(Renderer).material.mainTextureOffset = offset;        // texture offset
    14.     GetComponent(Renderer).material.mainTextureScale  = size;        // texture scale
    15. }

This is what i'm trying to do in c#:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public Renderer rend;
    3.     public int column;        
    4.     public int row;        
    6.     public int framesPerSeconds = 10;
    8.     private int timer;
    10.     void Start()
    11.     {
    12.         rend = GetComponent<Renderer>();
    14.         InvokeRepeating("GetTime", 1, 1);
    15.     }
    17.     void GetTime()
    18.     {
    19.         if (Time.time >= 0)
    20.             timer++;
    21.     }
    23.     void Update()
    24.     {
    27.         int index = timer * framesPerSeconds;
    29.         index = index % (column * row);
    31.         Vector2 size = new Vector2(1.0f / column, 1.0f / row);
    33.         Vector2 offset = new Vector2(index * size.x, row);
    35.         rend.material.mainTextureOffset = offset;
    36.         rend.material.mainTextureScale = size;
    38.     }

By this way, changing framePerSeconds (>= 1) variable doesn't take effects on the animation in the editor playmode (it still stops if set to 0).

I tried to change index as a float variable but, of course, it started to "move" through the differents "index", not to switch.

How can i do this in C#?
    I tried with (int)before framesPerSeconds and Time.time, and i tried also to change framePerSeconds to an int variable... it does not work for me.

Sorry for my english, i am still hoping you can understand me!

Waiting for your answers!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  43. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi,

Here's the c# version. Main thing is the casting that has to happen when going from a float to an int.
    Let me know if you have further questions with it. Thank you!

Code (CSharp):
    1.     int column = 0;
    2.     int row = 0;
    3.     float framesPerSecond = 8.0f;
    5.     void Update ()
    6.     {
    7.         int index = ( int ) ( Time.time * framesPerSecond );
    8.         index = index % ( column * row );
    10.         Vector2 size = new Vector2 ( 1.0f / column, 1.0f / row );
    11.         Vector2 offset = new Vector2 ( index * size.x, row );
    13.         this.GetComponent<Renderer> ().material.mainTextureOffset = offset;
    14.         this.GetComponent<Renderer> ().material.mainTextureScale = size;
    15.     }

BlondLion likes this.
  44. BlondLion

BlondLion

Hi,
    I didn't think to put both time.time and the fps variable in the same brackets, i did:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int index = (int)Time.time * (int)framesPerSeconds;
    and this was not working!

Now i tried your code...
    This finally works! Thank you very much!

I don't usually ask when some problems happen cause i think it is more usefull to rack my brain to find a solution... but this time i couldn't get it!

Thank you a lot !

45. profcwalker

profcwalker

Glad to hear that worked for you.
    Nice job! :)

46. FameForever

FameForever

Hello sir,
    I wonder whether this tutorial is valid for unity 5, in you website it's showing unity 5 tutorial, but here it's showing unity 3 tutorial and the videos were uploaded 5 years ago.

Please reply whether I should follow this tutorial for learning unity 5..

Sorry for my bad English....

47. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi FameForever,

Great question.
    Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: The current set of tutorials were done in Unity 3 and 4. The most recent ones (c# programming) were done in 5. For the most part they are still great for training and learning the basics and how to build different game types in Unity.

There have been many, many changes to Unity (interface, toolset, api) over the last couple years that we are waiting to record (and update) further videos till after they stop changing stuff (Probably v5.5). :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you!

48. BlondLion

BlondLion

As i am following right now this course, i could tell you what is my opinion.

If you are using JS (UnityScripts), this course is really ok.
    Some codes changed through the versions, but the console tells you where you have to replace something and with what.
    The interface, also, is pretty similar. The only big difference (until now, im at the 3rd project) is the particle system, but you can try to figure out what to do... indeed you have to create your particle, so you should "play" with it the same and not only copy paste their values.

If you are using C# this will be harder, but not impossible (this is what iam doing here... i am new to programming, but i followed many tutorials in this year, so i have a bit of experience) and, if you have some troubles, you can ask here! profcwalker answered me in about 10m with the perfect solution!

Ah, for the 2D games in unity 3 there was not the option to set the game to 2D by default.
    So you can follow the video instructions (changing the camera) or you can just press the 2D button to setup the scene.

There is also a new UI system that is not explained in these tutorials, that use the old school UIsystem (that is not deprecated!).

I hope this will be helpful.

Sorry for my english.

Michele

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  49. FameForever

FameForever

@profcwlaker, @BlondLion Thank you so much for providing detailed reply.

I am thinking about doing in C# rather than JavaScript.

50. BlondLion

BlondLion

Hi @profcwalker,
    I wanted to ask you some questions about the 3rd project.

Is it necessary to follow the 3dsMax tutorial? (I'm a Blender user)

And i did not understand well what i have to do about 2 points:

• Complete the Time Component with Functions or Class setup
    • The web build will have a working time component controls (0-9)
    • The assignment is explained in Step 16
    Have I to create something to use the timer without pressing the keyboard's keys?

• Extra Credit
    • Create a Component for Trigger Events through the Inspector (Open ended)

Thank you for the support! This course is great!

Michele

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016