Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2011 Roadmap

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

2. 95KillerZ95

95KillerZ95

Very very interesting.... I'm looking forward!
    Please come immediately!

3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Personally I am looking forward to that "Pathfinding" system and RNM Lightmaps and surely LOD. So much good stuff coming it's insane.

Thomas P.

4. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Looks like a few sellers in the Asset store are heading for harder times. Some great stuff coming by the sounds of it, thank you Unity, cant wait.

5. spinaljack

spinaljack

I thought the same thing about the asset store sellers. Well it's the risk you take when developing middleware like that but who's to say Unity's version will be better than theirs?

6. Muzzn

Muzzn

Also, Asset Store devs--! Check the feature list, and develop what's not on there! That's what I'm doing, anyway.

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That to me is also great news! The current solution isn't bad but anything that makes it easier is welcome! Looking forward to that as well.

8. zipper

zipper

I would really like to be able to use flash for GUIs. Any word on Scaleform integration?

9. CodeCody

CodeCody

Sheez their is so much on the menu I don't know where to start lol. The are all AWESOME! Makes me wounder what kind of things the would add in unity 4 0.0

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

--Eric

11. JRavey

JRavey

I won't comment on 3.5 as those are not promises, but the execution order is going to be nice. It's not too hard to work around the current limitations, but being able to control it a little more within the Unity way of doing things is a great improvement.

12. LoneWolf_CGI

LoneWolf_CGI

Looks promising

13. zipper

zipper

@Eric5h5 A custom (read another GUI to learn), although exciting (and much needed), is not the same as Scaleform integration.

Scaleform integration would allow us to use a proven platform (Flash) and widely available talent which already know how to use it. I love UT, and they claim to want to take away barriers to development. Just today they said they wanted to focus on bringing UT up to "AAA" standards. Well, Scaleform should be included in the AAA focus. This is one of those no-brainers, and i don't understand the focus on a completely new UI system (unless it's flash based).

Visit Scaleform yourself and see how many AAA titles use it. (like over 700!).

zipper

14. nopcode

nopcode

Integrated perforce and subversion version control

We’re working on fully integrated version control support for both perforce and subversion. There’s a complete UI including support for file locking.

It would be much better if instead you worked on support for both Git and Mercurial. Of course, if you exposed your source control interface (like Visual Studio does), then it makes using brand xyz easier.

15. GuyTidhar

GuyTidhar

That's it.

I'm getting married to Unity.

The wedding will take place near my work desktop.

You are all invited.

Oh, and I'm guessing in Unity 4.0 you will be able to beam yourself to the moon by adding a component "MoonBeam" to a game object.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That pretty much answered the question, though. Who knows, it could be too expensive to license (they're already paying for quite a bit of 3rd-party tech as it is), maybe they can do better.

--Eric

17. Jessy

Jessy

Look at how many professionals use Autodesk products and Pro Tools. ;)

Illustrator + this new GUI system sounds like an awesome combo, and I can't wait to stop having to make my own boring solutions for atlasing and button mesh systems.

18. Fidde

Fidde

Fantastic news! I jizzed my pants on the 3.5 features, can't wait!

19. MattGPC

MattGPC

It all looks great. Any plans for normal mapped terrain textures and/or some terrain tool updates?

20. DavidB

DavidB

Does anyone know if this will be PRO only? Regardless, a move in the right direction. All of the listed changes look fantastic.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Pro needs more features to make it compelling and if it means more sales and more cash to unity, it means my game just got that much better.

Nice work unity team, a very exciting update. Please continue to justify the high price of ios pro for mobiles by adding more features. Terrain was a great start, next I would like really fast realtime lighting or just more really-optimised mobile shaders :)

22. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

LOL... you may need to find a new avenue to expel your frustrations, as that is downright weird! Maybe just leave the house and have a walk in the park...

(That said, I did the same)

23. bernardfrancois

bernardfrancois

24. Per

Per

Nice stuff. The audio/webcam side in particular piques my interest. Here's hoping it allows some nice access to multiple input devices and channels. Would be really nice to have more device/port access in general, lots of scope for rockband like games and apps with midi fun and audio routing control.

25. giyomu

giyomu

all that sound awesome..at least for the 3.4 that look like a lot nice things...

26. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

At first I was quite annoyed at the fact that the UI framework wouldn't be in 3.4. Then I re-read what WOULD be, and I forgave, then I read what would be in 3.5 and I now bow to UT.

27. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

When does this update come out?

28. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

The Unity 3.4 beta webplayer is out. So, no guarantees, but I would say quite soon.

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

They are about to go to Release Candidate 1 so I would say between 2 weeks to a month.

30. flim

flim

That list is exciting, but no mention about 64-bit support?

31. sama-van

sama-van

Can we hope a real "Rigid Skin" feature one day for the skeleton optimization?

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

What is a rigid skin? I hope you don't mean skinning from a modelling package without deformation because thats already possible.

33. sama-van

sama-van

Well we can simulate rigid skin with smooth skin working with one bone by vertex.
    But 0.0000 and 1.0000 are still under a float system for memory allocation.

Just hoping a really rigid skin system using Boolean >> 1 || 0

On a Final fantasy model on Playsation 2 they are about 200 bones by character using a real rigid skin as Boolean system.
    Now if you use the same skeleton with smooth skin keeping the one bones constraint by vertex, this would kill the PSX2 CPU.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  34. scarpelius

scarpelius

This means that webplayer games don't need to be downloaded every time one opens the page with that game?

35. kenshin

kenshin

It's amazing... thanks for the roadmap!

Very interesting improvements and extended multithread to more components.
    I am crossing my finger for Unity3D 4.0 with full 64bit support! :)

Thank's UT keep up the good work!

36. sama-van

sama-van

Also waiting for a multi build settings set.

For exemple I have 30 scenes in a projects, but 2 applications will be compiled.
    And everytime need to unselected and select the rights one...

Tired... :D

We could have extra buttons like :
    - Build Settings set A
    - Build Settings set B

Each button memorize the selected scenes and then we could switch easier for each build..:cool:

37. duke

duke

Well I peed a little. I'm most excited about the UI overhaul, but also the multi-threading and the little tweaks to squeeze out those extra FPS!

38. janpec

janpec

Great features incoming. Tech demo for IPad is impressive and all i can say is that this would open new possibilities for IOS games.

39. MitchStan

MitchStan

Unity led me to find RVO - Reciprocal Velocity Obstacles for collision avoidance. And now Unity will include RVO! Amazing!

40. HJP

HJP

Fantastic news ... :)

41. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

As exciting as 3.4 is, I'm salivating for 3.5:

Super excited to see a firm scheduling for the new GUI system - even if we don't have a firm date, we know it's 3.5 and not 3.9 a year and a half from now!

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Whoa there, pardner. ;)

--Eric

43. Dreamora

Dreamora

for webplayer the feature existed since Unity 2.6
    Since Unity 3.3 there is 50mb of shared (for all unity apps) cache, anything beyond requires a per project cache license.

Whats new in 3.4 is the support for the caching outside the webplayer which is especially interesting on iOS and Android especially due to the noted resource savings (loading anything from WWW has major overheads at the time)

44. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

That's quite the list for 3.5! There are several things listed there that I'm really looking forward to, not the least of which is the new GUI overhaul. Thanks for sharing your roadmap UT. Keep up the great work! :)

45. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Woah! I really hope they manage to get all those features in 3.5.
    Especially GUI, Pathfinding and the Particles sound cool, though. Ah ... those features ALL sound cool!!!

(Homer) *drool*

46. monark

monark

Hoping that the 50Mb limit has been removed though, paying the extra license for the full caching system is not an option for us but being able to cache all scenes with no limit would be awesome.

47. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

Hehe, yea - maybe a bit overzealous on my part. Could get pushed back to 3.6 - but it's still nice to see it penciled in for late summer/early fall. I'd imagine the GUI is a pretty safe bet though, sounds like the renderer changes are more likely to miss the release. But yea, anything could happen.

48. sebako

sebako

hmm I really hope old gui system won't break with this change.
    is there any information if the gui system will be backward compatible?

Overall it sounds really good, can't wait for it :)

49. HolBol

HolBol

i hope alot of these go into unity free while i work for pro :L!

50. Sirithang

Sirithang

A Simple editor script allow to do that easily ;)

The thing that is missing from this list is a Linux support ;p Damn that would be so sweet and Unity would reign as a master on Linux gaming...

But damn sweet list thought...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.