Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unite 2015!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Jan 26, 2015.

1. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I'm going to Boston.

Aurore likes this.
  2. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I've officially registered for the Trainingsday in Amsterdam. See you all there :)

3. darksirikan

darksirikan

Any idea on Australia yet? Will it be right before PAX again?

4. schmosef

schmosef

Just bought my ticket for Unite Boston.

Is there a hotel recommendation?

5. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I went with the lowest priced one. For that reason, and it looks like it's the closest or second closest to the venue

6. tedthebug

tedthebug

A firm date for Australia would be appreciated. Accommodation is tight because of Pax & also the Spring Racing Carnival (especially in the lead up to the Melbourne cup) so it would be good to know now so that if it is the week before pax then we can book a room for the week rather than booking for pax now (tickets are already on sale) & then trying to adjust the accommodation booking or worse still having to find a 2nd place to stay.

thanks

7. kenlem

kenlem

I was going to go with the lowest priced option but it looked a little too depressing. I hoped on priceline and used name your own price to get a room for $200 near the convention center. It selected Hotel 140 which is great location wise. The pictures on priceline look awesome. I googled around for other review sites and see that, in reality, it's pretty rough and just about as depressing looking as the original lower priced option on the Unity website except it's slightly more expensive.

I'm hoping someone designates an official bar we can all "relax" at.

8. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Last year in Seattle I did an AirBNB. It was $70 a night, which saved me a bundle of cash. It took about 15 minutes to walk to the venue, which was actually nice, since I don't at all mind a good walk (And the weather was great!)

Downside was that before going out at night I had to walk back to drop off my computer -- so that 30+ minutes was lost. Also, a lot of people I wanted to hang out with were in the hotels, so that made it easy for them, harder for me.

Either way we ended up taking Uber and Lyft everywhere (Thanks Microsoft for picking up a few of my rides via your employees!), since a lot of the places at night weren't walkable.

Boston may be different, although I hear the weather should be great that type of year too.

Oh -- and another downside was the couch-bed I had to stay on in the living room of a 1 bedroom apartment with the cats that liked to sleep ON TOP OF ME. :) So this year, paying more for hopefully a lot more comfort and a bit more convenience. I may look to get a roomie at some point ,depending on finances. But I really do prefer to go solo.

9. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Just a gentle reminder that you are running out of year in which to schedule Melbourne.

SAOTA likes this.
  10. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Reminded :p

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. schmosef

schmosef

I just saw on the Unite Boston page that there's a list of recommended hotels. I didn't see that before. I might have missed it or it might have been added since I last checked (I bought my ticket within a few days of when they went on sale).

I've been waiting for hotel info to be posted so I can book a room for my stay.

But there are so many hotels listed I don't know how to choose.

Which hotel is going to be better for networking? Are the Unity people generally going to be at a certain hotel?

I've seen on some past Unite videos that there is occasional mention of get togethers and sponsored parties in the evenings.

If that's going to happen this year, I'd love to be staying at the hotel where these are held.

Any advice @Aurore?

12. Aurore

Aurore

I think Hotel information went up when tickets went on sale, probably going for the ones closest to the venue would be wise for networking. I also have no idea where Unity staff are staying, this doesn't get revealed to us until super late.

13. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I went with one of the cheaper ones, south of the venue, forget which one. Most are right there.

14. The Alias

The Alias

Just wondering if there is going to be a melbourne conference again this year. If not, are there any Meet-ups in Melbourne?

15. Aurore

Aurore

16. Jazon-Burnell

Jazon-Burnell

So this might sound like a funny thing to be worried about this far in advanced, but for Boston Unite, is it expected that any Unity evening events (the party, award ceremony, etc) will be held on the last day?

At past Unite's and most other conferences I attend, they take place on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (if not the whole week) and most of the important evening stuff happens on Thursday evening so that people can plan to depart Friday evening (at least, from what I'm remembering on past Unite's).

With Boston Unite happening on a Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I'd like to book my flight for Wednesday evening, but I'd be bummed if it made me miss one of those events. Are there any expectations in that regard yet?

17. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

It will not be held on the last day. The big party will be the 2nd night, following the awards where I will win nothing but the free booze.

I predict i'll be quite pleased with the outcome.

18. Jazon-Burnell

Jazon-Burnell

Heh, I suspect I'll be quite pleased with a similar outcome as well. Thanks for the response!

19. janoonk

janoonk

I can't find any details on starttime for the Trainingsday for Unite 2015 in Amsterdam on 23 june. Does anyone know at what time Trainingsday will start?

20. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I think it starts at 09:00AM with the registration desk open at 08:00AM, but I'm not sure. Too bad that particular bit of information was removed with the announcement of what we're going to do on the Training Day.

Oh, if anyone happens to come from around Tilburg-Breda..... I'm going by car to Amsterdam, leaving around 6:00AM (traffic.....). If you'd like to carpool, let me know! Just send me a PM :) I can have 2-3 passengers (depending on what you all bring :D )

21. Aurore

Aurore

22. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Errrr... according to the "Important information for Unite Europe Training Day Attendees" email I received today, the time is:
    So that's an hour earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  23. Aurore

Aurore

Ah, so it needs to be updated on the website....brb

24. Aurore

Aurore

If you've bought tickets for the training day, go by the information in your e-mail. The website will be changed shortly.

25. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

26. Zeblote

Zeblote

Why is there no announcement for a live stream like usual?

27. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Will the Unite Europe Keynote be streamed online?

Lennart

28. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Yes, we will be livestreaming the keynote. No, we don't have a link yet!

But when we have a link, we will let you all know what it is. :)

29. SAOTA

SAOTA

enjoy. I'll see everyone at UniteAfrika.

30. Sepica

Sepica

I recon http://unity3d.com/unite/europe/keynote this is it? :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  31. Aurore

Aurore

jashan likes this.
  32. tedthebug

tedthebug

Hi, no news on Melbourne yet? If it ties in with pax there's only 4mths to go & that is peak time for trying to get accommodation due to the Spring Racing Carnival. Personally I've taken a risk & booked the week before pax in the hope it will be held in the same period as last year because all the options available were filling up & the prices of the ones left were steadily increasing, but I'd hate to find I've wasted that money.

Kiwasi likes this.
  33. AwesomeSchlimbo

AwesomeSchlimbo

Hi, sorry to post in this old thread. Didn't want to open a new one.
    Could anyone tell me the names of the DJs playing at the party please? They were quite amazing :)

34. Aurore

Aurore

35. tedthebug

tedthebug

Could someone from Unity Events or whoever organises these please advise re the Melbourne event. At this rate no one will be able to attend as there will be no accomodation available & then it will be called a failure & no more will be scheduled in Australia. Pax managed to get tickets on sale about 8 months out so there was plenty of time to organise everything.

Kiwasi likes this.
  36. weeeBox

weeeBox

37. schmosef

schmosef

What opportunity have you missed?

weeeBox likes this.
  38. weeeBox

weeeBox

To get a cheap room with Unity Technologies block code. I've called the hotels and they are sold out (see "Hotel Information" https://unity3d.com/unite/boston)

39. schmosef

schmosef

All of them? How much cheaper was it?

40. TonyLi

TonyLi

When I called The Midtown on Monday, they said the Unity block ($169/night) was sold out. They quoted me $279/night. Similar with Holiday Inn, which was the next one on the list. I ended up with Hampton Inn, still pricey at $229/night. If someone's in a pinch (and isn't a serial killer ;)) I can go 50/50 on the room.

41. schmosef

schmosef

Wow, that's a much bigger discount than I expected.

I usually find that the autoclub (CAA/AAA) discount most hotels provide is the same as whatever group rate is being offered. But maybe not in this case.

I got my Unite ticket the first day they were on sale but I haven't gotten around to booking my flight and hotel yet. I better get going with that. Still trying to figure out how how many extra days I can stay.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to meeting everyone in person.

Sorry @weeeBox, I'm not up for sharing a room. I need the extra space for all the bacon I'm bringing for @superpig. :D

42. weeeBox

weeeBox

@TonyLi, I'd be happy to split!

43. tedthebug

tedthebug

GCAP is on in Melbourne 27-28 Oct, sort of cuts the chance that Unite will be on in Melbourne around the same time of that & Pax. Looks like I'm going to those & missing Unite this year (can't afford multiple interstate trips :( ) if it still going ahead.

44. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The Melbourne locals are picking the 26th of October, so that should still allow you to do things in one trip.

One of the evangelists is coming to the IGDAM meet up down here next Tuesday. I'm sure someone will ask the question.

45. tedthebug

tedthebug

Thanks, I'd be interested to go. I booked a place near the convention centre from Sunday to Sunday so as long as it fits in there somewhere I'll be happy :)

46. CptDustmite

CptDustmite

+1 on the Melbourne dates please... several people in my company and also the local devs are planning to go and it would be really nice to know if the dates join nicely with PAX and GCAP, as we can't afford to go interstate twice.

tedthebug and Kiwasi like this.
  47. Aurore

Aurore

My insider info about Unite Melbourne is that it will be on the 26 October at the MCEC in Melbourne (same venue as last year).

Also they expect to have combined tickets for Unite/GCAP/PAX tickets as they did last year.

CptDustmite, Kiwasi and tedthebug like this.
  48. tedthebug

tedthebug

Thank you for the update

CptDustmite likes this.
  49. Aurore

Aurore

No problem, I'm told we should have everything up officially soon.

CptDustmite likes this.
  50. da66en

da66en

Any chances that more Training Day tickets will be released?

Anyone got an extra one they want to sell?