Search Unity

Unite 2014 Videos

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gargi, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargi

Gargi

Hi

Last year, the videos of Unite 2013 came with a huge delay (except the keynote).
    What was the reason?

Can we expect the videos of Unite 2014 with a much shorter delay?

2. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi Gargi

The reason was that we try to offer those who attended the conference some value or exclusivity for the fact they attended. This year we'll have less of a gap most likely, as I think many attendees would actually appreciate being able to review the sessions once more also, and of course they benefit from being there first hand and asking questions.

We'll have them up as soon as we're able to! Thanks for asking.

Will

3. landon912

landon912

This would also help in the often case of missing a talk you're interested in to go to another. I don't think any attendee wouldn't welcome all the talks uploaded.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    inafield likes this.
  4. p87

p87

would love to watch them as well. I don't see the point in delaying them for exclusivity sake. Sporting events and whatnot are aired live. The benefit of buying a ticket is you get to be there in the flesh and experience it.

I'm really surprised they aren't streamed live.

Joviex likes this.
  5. inafield

inafield

Apparently puppies aren't allowed in, but my human will be there and would appreciate the decreased gap to catch sessions he couldn't attend. I enjoyed watching the videos with him after last year's Unite.

6. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Can't wait for the Unite 2014 videos.

7. Archania

Archania

Why wait for the videos? Go in person! Got a ticket still for sale! Got it at early bird special so....

8. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

India... :(

FML

ChrisSch likes this.
  9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I'll be updating the forums as much as I can from Unite as well as Social Media with our SM Manager

10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Logical, but yes, I don't think the value of attending Unite is in 'getting the content first' - as you say it's in being able to ask questions, and in networking, in experiencing what it's like to be in a place filled with people who are also using Unity, etc.

landon912 and Joviex like this.
  11. WJ

WJ

Some of us cant travel all the way there to attend, not everyone lives in the US!

ChrisSch and Joviex like this.
  12. Bradamante

Bradamante

What kind of thinking is that? As if the value of attending Unite is lecture access. So basically, I am getting punished for being born in the wrong country?
    Years ago I was on video/editing teams of some conferences and in those teams we always had an ethic of "getting videos out as fast as possible" since we knew that there were a number of people - we couldn't even know the size of - interested in the material.

ChrisSch and Joviex like this.
  13. Zeblote

Zeblote

Okay... if you have them recorded then you're able to start uploading them all, right now. :)

14. Ostwind

Ostwind

Eh.. what? so you are saying thousands of people being punished because a bunch of people paid to attend a conference that had different benefits like maybe having extra days, weeks or months to blog, write, or benefit about what they went to listen before others? I call them privileged and thats not punishment to others.

Joviex and inafield like this.
  15. Graph

Graph

while in general i would agree on the privileged/exclusive dealio, on the topic of knowledge that could be emparted through these videos i do not.
    i believe whole heartedly that all knowledge should be free and accessible to everyone who wants to learn otherwise we will regress into an aristocratic or class-based society model. If that isn't already happening in [your country] be glad about it but don't be ignorant twards it.

i do understand that they will be available eventually; which i think, alongside UTs sizable YouTube video array, is quite commendable.

p87, Joviex and landon912 like this.
  16. Bradamante

Bradamante

Yeah, wow, I knew the entitlement argument would strike me. You are implying things I didn't say. I complained precisely and only about access to information given in talks, presented by the initial speaker. I did not complain about anything else that makes an event like this what it is.

Unite is a public event. No, entrance fees and travel costs do not make Unite non-public. You could call it semi-public, if that. You know very well that the web is full of videos of talks and speeches, especially of those recorded at public tech-oriented events like this. Including Unity's itself.

The way you emphasized the fact that people paid to attend Unite strikes me as odd, if not ignorant. You are basically implying that I could have attended Unite 2014 just like everybody else. And you are right. But you are ignoring the fact that attending produces very different costs for users who are distributed around the globe. I don't feel ashamed for the fact that I can't effort to throw away thousands of Euros on my favorite hobby. Should I?

Did I demand instant access to all those videos instantly? No, I don't think so. When I worked in a video tech team at such an event it took me and a helper person maybe a month to edit and upload approx. 40h of footage. The important part is that we publically announced that the videos were coming and were to get them.

What offended me was Will's thinking of these recording being a value or exlusivety for attendees. It shows a sense of elitism that is inappropriate, if not dangerous. If you are showing Doom 4 behind closed doors at QuakeCon you can do that - the exclusivety, the non-public character of the event has been announced before-hand. Not so here.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  17. Ostwind

Ostwind

It's not public if you don't have free entry or can't freely publish what you see there. People were not allowed to record and publish the talks fully to the net (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Also it does not matter if net is full of speeches, I don't even know how this relates to Unite? Unity has published and archived different talks from various event to youtube after few weeks or months after the events.

Are you actually listening what you are saying? You are nearly tying to put the blame on people attending the event and thinking like they are some elitist club because they paid for it? Also you are pulling the "cannot afford" card here for the second time when it has nothing to do with your earlier "punished" comment or the whole when are videos published thing. There are people who could not attend the event for various reasons and it would mean they are equally being punished by your philosophy. I did not attend and didn't even think for a second to do so cause it would have been expensive for just to fly and stay there for Unite.

So you don't think willgoldstones comment is not public and clear enough that the videos are coming?

So Unity staff member that has probably attended many of these events, previously talked with attending people and know what they expect or what they have been told should not say that about Unity event? sorry I usually try to keep my posts professional but...

inafield likes this.
  18. User340

User340

Well you know, apple releases their lectures from WWDC extremely quickly (within 24 hours i think?). There's a LOT more to attending Unite than just the lectures.

Joviex likes this.
  19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Weirdos have come out of hiding to attack unity staff. What's new?

inafield likes this.
  20. p87

p87

I was told on twitter the videos should be available next week.

I agree though, they should have been live streamed. It's 2014; we can stream things on the internet for everyone to watch live. Live streaming is kind of a big thing in the games industry.

Would have been a lot more hype, more people participating on twitter #unite14, a more successful conference in general if it was all livestreamed.

No one cared about Helgason cussing in the keynote. I thought it got the point across quite well. The videos don't need to be edited. Just stream them live.

21. Archania

Archania

Only thing is that if they live stream, everyone will stay home and watch it instead of going.. after all this is 2014 where you can do just about anything/order anything sitting at the computer in your home...

Ostwind likes this.
  22. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

That's not true at all....

23. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Live streaming of everything at the event would benefit Unity. It is an awesome marketing opportunity. I enjoyed watching the keynote, and I am sure many other people did as well. I'd happily watch all of the content if it were posted.

24. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Watching the lectures (in person or live stream) is a very tiny part of going to a conference. Live streaming the lectures would definitely not cause people to stay home. Live streaming would help more people at home get more excited about Unity, though.

25. Archania

Archania

It was meant as a joke people. Simply because people are lazy and don't want to go places or they can't go to things/events due to financial or other reasons. And besides I thought all indie developers live in their parents basement eating pop tarts...

26. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Feel ashame. Zbrush conference was 40 miles away from home and I watched it streamed... It was full in here. A lot of people came even if it was streamed. Watched it with a french friend who was on the Internet in France. Streaming event like that live is definitely a good thing.

p87 likes this.
  27. inafield

inafield

Just another perspective:

Live streaming really isn't that easy. It took my employer awhile to get it done right, and our conference budget is a lot larger. And we still don't live stream our conferences which costs around $1500/person. Then again, as a publicly traded company, we have other reasons not to live stream.

28. Bradamante

Bradamante

Was that aimed at me? Did you just call me a "weirdo"? If so ... I don't think that is appropriate behavior for a moderator. I don't think I have attacked anyone, I did criticize somebody and his attitude in a rational matter.

Good news! Cool.

You and I have a different understanding of public, then. For me Unity is public, since Unity doesn't reject your registration if they don't like your face, so to speak. You may not be allowed to record sessions on your own, but I am sure you talk about what you have seen in public sessions. This is different of what for example Apple did when they demoed early versions of Final Cut Pro X to a select few - and let them sign NDAs.

I was trying to establish a pattern, trying to show how other companies do it and how that may inform expectations from me and other members of the audience.

That is not what I was trying to say. I criticized Will for showing that attitude or Unity for showing that attitude in the past, i.e. not seeing timely publishing of videos as a priority.

I think it has a lot to do with it. If it is not reasonable for me to put so much money into going to Unite, yet it is little effort for Unity to publish recordings soon, then I am punished for "being born in the wrong country" (my quote earlier).

Well, yes, they are. There are potentially hundreds of thousands Unity fans world-wide who would love to see the video recordings of sessions as soon as humanly possible, because they couldn't be there personally. Not to mention people who have actually been there, yet couldn't attend all sessions they were interested in - a common problem with sessions happening in parallel.

That is exactly what I have been saying all the time.

I did not criticize his announcement of a more timely video upload this year, I did criticize his company's attitude of past years, and what remains of that this year.

Please continue trying to do so. I don't see what you are getting so worked up about. I am a Unity user just like you, and just like you I am interested in learning more about the tool I use.

I don't think I demanded something impossible or criticized in a irrational way. I don't demand "videos of everything ASAP!!!1" and I don't demand my travelling costs being covered by Unity.

It can help marketing, but I would actually prefer a method that combines the best of both worlds (convenience of live-streaming and real-world community building). For example there could be special localities where people can meet to watch streams and meet Unity people. Apple does that during events when you can watch live streams in Apple's stores. Sony did that when they live-streamed press conferences in movie theaters. Maybe something like that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.