Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. roots

roots

Efraser2007 - btw what exactly do you mean by "reference to rain object etc needs to be set on the unistorm system ". Anything different than the rain script attached to my player? I assume unistorm looks for this script then on awake or something?

2. Legacy

Legacy

nope its assigned in the editor. Look under the parent unistorm object for an object with the same name click on it and there is a script attached with all of the settings and towards the bottom there is game object references you have to assign.

3. Legacy

Legacy

You can however modify the unistorm script to search on awake or when the player is instantiated search for those objects and assign them its pretty simple. I think for now im going to set unistorm as a child of my player object as it should move with my player anyway do you think this will cause any issues black?

4. roots

roots

yep, that approach actually solved all my problems, all is working fine now and have to say the end result is pretty nice. only left is some tweaks on lighting as well as the dark clouds in the distance but quite happy with the progress.

Many thanks Efraser2007 you advice and tips were great.

5. Legacy

Legacy

NP glad it worked for ya :)

6. BHS

BHS

@roots glad you got it working. We have a fix for the dark clouds coming, it will be a horizon fade that will change with the time of day.

@Efraser2007 Thanks for helping out, didn't know how to answer some of those questions.

7. BHS

BHS

Video demo of Efraser2007's game, Rise of Guardian's, with UniStorm being used in an MMO game.

8. Legacy

Legacy

No problem always happy to help :).

9. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We have great news, we tested UniStorm on an android mobile device (Android Galaxy Tab) and it ran incredibly smooth and fast. There are a few things we have to change to the UniStorm scripts in order for it to work 100% due to the difference in programming, but the good news is that we will work on making a Mobile version of UniStorm!

We haven't tested IOS yet because we don't have an apple computer. If someone does and can test it for us we will give you a free copy of UniStorm mobile when we release it. Keep in mind this is a little down the road.

Please if you're interested in UniStorm Mobile post a comment and let us know.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  10. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Definitely interested. I'd like to test it on iOS too if you're interested.

11. BHS

BHS

@ParaLogic Great, you will be our iOS tester, we will let you know when we are ready via a PM.

Does anyone have any suggestions or questions for UniStorm Mobile?

12. sonicviz

sonicviz

I can test on iOS as well. (iPad2 - I think my iTouch 2G is a little dated now)

Did you consider any further my suggestion of a global lighting control accessible from editor and/or gui?

ty!

13. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Cool, looking forward to that :)

14. shwa

shwa

I'm quite satisfied with Unistorm 1.4. Having time related environmental elements is really interesting. Using Unistorm changes the way I'm looking at Unity and game/story flow.

I'm in the midst of ramping up my learning curve with Unistorm and Unity in general.
    I've got a "unity bootcamp based" scene with a skybox and using aspects of Unistorm with it.
    (I know 1.4 is not meant to be used with skyboxes.)

The sun rises/sets fine.
    The moon rise/set is not visible.
    Are their any tweaks or code changes I can make, so the moon rise and set is visible when a skybox is active?

Thanks.

* re Mobile: I can test on an iPad 3, if you want.

15. BHS

BHS

@shwa Glad you like it. Hmm, not sure, it could be the fact that the moon is further out (distance wise) than the sun. You can try moving the moon closer and see if that fixes the issue with the skybox. If not, we'll try to figure it out so our systems can support skyboxes. I would test this in a blank scene before you do it in you actual game. Thanks, but I think we're good on testers for now, we will let you know if that changes though.

We have been making pretty good progress with UniStorm. We have the horizon fading system almost completed which will take care of the dark cloud problem. It looks really good because the clouds look like they're dissipating into horizon. You can also choose your own colors for the time of day for the horizon. We had to write our own shader for the horizon system so as soon as we're done with the final tweaks we'll post a video showing it off.

Before we release the next small update, is there anything that we have missed? We'll make sure to add it to the next update.

After this next small update we will start working on the next update 1.6 and its big features:

What we have planned for UniStorm v1.6:

* Seasons, which will only allow for certain weather types at certain times making the system truly dynamic.

* Snow will be added to the weather system and will only happen in winter, if it's cold enough.

* Summer will have less precipitation than spring or winter.

* Seasons will bring additional weather types (Suggestions are welcome)

* Random temperature generator.

* Dynamic falling snow/building snow (not sure how yet, but we'll make it happen suggestions would help)

* And more!

Hope you guys are as excited as we are.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. siflandolly

siflandolly

That sounds amazing. This is the best investment I've made in an asset. Great work guys!

17. BigBulle

BigBulle

Hello

Unistorm looks really great.
    However some items remains a bit unclear to me:
    - Is it possible to force the weather condition? I read everywhere that its random and I'm really not interrested in that.
    - Is it a drag and drop install or do we have to configure it by scripts?
    - Is the fog controlled by Unistorm? Are therer some screenshots of it?

Best regards,

BigBulle

18. BHS

BHS

@siflandolly Great to hear and glad you like it.

@BigBulle

Yes it is random but you can also force a weather condition. You could easily disable the randomized weather too if you wanted.

It's one easy prefab that you drag into to your scene and that's it. We have a tutorial that will cover everything you need to know included in the documentation.

Yes, the global fog image effect effect is controlled by UniStorm, Unity's actual fog isn't. The top video on the first page of the thread shows off the fog moving in and then out as the storm leaves.

19. Legacy

Legacy

That sounds pretty awesome :)

20. virror

virror

Will there be a fix for the folder structure in the next small update?
    Like no standard assets folder?

21. BHS

BHS

@Virror Like said before if you don't want the standard assets folder all you have to export your own Unity Package File with out the standard assets. So get a blank scene, get your character and/or camera system, set it all up like in the tutorial, then once you're finished export it as a Unity Package File and import it into your project or game and you're done. Hope this helps.

We have to include the standard assets in the original project for the demo and for the image effects.

22. sonicviz

sonicviz

Global lighting control please. Unless I missed your reply to my last question.
    I keep asking this and you politely ignore it. Is there some reason you don't want to enable a macro level control over lighting adjustment?
    I don't understand why as you have global color control.

Ty

23. BHS

BHS

What do you mean by global lighting control? Controlling the intesity of the sunlight? I told you how through changing one number in the code. It's an equation that uses a decimal number that calculates the light intensity over time. If you want it to not be as bright you can achieve the same effect by choosing a darker sun color. There's no need to control it because adjusting the color gives you the exact same control. If you're talking about the ambient lightning, the system needs this to be able to control the time of day.

If your question still wasn't answered reply and we will get your question anrewed.

24. virror

virror

Thanx for the help, but i still don't get it why the standard assets folder needs to be used, whats so special about it?

25. sonicviz

sonicviz

1. The last reply I saw from you on that was "@sonicviz Don't have time at the moment, but we will help you out in a bit."
    Maybe I missed it?

2. The problem with choosing "just" a darker sun color is I have to modify all daytime colors don't I?

I honestly don't see the big deal about putting in macro level light intensity control to let users tweak it in addition to color.
    From my perspective the user should be easily able to tweak all relevant parameters via the editor or gui and not have to edit/compile code variables.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  26. shwa

shwa

@shwa Glad you like it. Hmm, not sure, it could be the fact that the moon is further out (distance wise) than the sun. You can try moving the moon closer and see if that fixes the issue with the skybox.
    ---
    Moon with skybox on:
    '
    I tried moving it closer, but no success.
    Which x,y,z co ordinates should i be changing to move it closer?

I tried it with the exact x,y,z co ords of the sun, and the same rotation, but still not showing. also tried changing just the y, but still not seeing it.

---

Also, is there a default setting in your code for the sky colour?

I'm running into some problems getting the background colour of the sky to change, so a workaround for me would be to be able to change that default colour? (It's currently always a sky blue, and i'd like to be able to darken it.)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  27. shwa

shwa

Moon with skybox on: Kind of working now.

I've now got a workaround,.. which isn't perfect, but the moon is now showing with a skybox on.
    (This is my on the fly, don't know what i'm doing, workaround,.. so it may break other things, use with caution.)

original moon shader setting was: Unlit/UnlitAlphaWithFade

by changing this to: particles/vertexlit blended (the same shader setting as the sun):
    the moon is brighter, and *shows with the skybox on.

One downside is, the moon is seen on overcast days.
    I can live with the poetry of that, for now.
    Perhaps another shader setting might be better.

I had to change the shader settings on all 9 versions of the moon.

28. Legacy

Legacy

Why do you even need a skybox if you have dynamic clouds now?

29. shwa

shwa

: Why do you even need a skybox if you have dynamic clouds now?

I think most of the time, i won't.
    I'm currently having some tech problems with Unistorm right now,
    so a skybox gives me some things i need, while i sort these out.

Lastly, until Unistorm or other solutions can exactly emulate a skybox, i can see a need for skyboxes,
    in some instances.

30. Avanger

Avanger

any webplayer?

31. BHS

BHS

@Shadow93 Sorry we don't have a web player because the assests can be hacked. We have 6 videos so you can see every feature of the system. Also I see that you're making an mmo, UniStorm works well with it and you can see a demo video of it being used in the start of the thread.

32. Legacy

Legacy

hey black i did notice that there is an issue with using fog, if i use fog, when the sky transitions it goes black like before with a skybox o_O fog is a very very useful thing to use to add depth to scenes and it would not be very good if we were not able to use it ;) is there anyway you can fix this?

33. siflandolly

siflandolly

Is it possible to see what time it is from other scripts by looking at the UniStorm object. I tried to access the UniStormWeatherSystem component but couldn't get it to work.

34. shwa

shwa

Edit: * Is there a way for one to set things, so the first moonrise in a game is always a full moon?

- -

These are the day/night settings i have. (I've set day length to 800.)

day start- set time to .4 and moon phase to 0
    night start- set time to 0 and moon phase to .4

With these settings, when set for night start, moon is around halfway across the sky.
    When set for day start, sun is around halfway across the sky.

I'd like to have more precise control over day start, and when moon phase begins.
    Can you please explain what those numerical values represent?
    And also how they relate to a 'normal' day/night cycle?

E.g., If i want my game to start with night, and have the moon begin to rise after 2-3 minutes of play, what settings should i use? Same idea as per moonset, sunrise, sunset.

Looks to me like each day is 12 hours and each night is 12 hours.
    Can one tweak your core scripts, so the day is longer and night is shorter, and vice versa?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  35. hjupter

hjupter

I'm interested on unistorm mobile, any ETA? also it will be part of the same unistorm product? if it so then I'm gonna buy it right now :)

36. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 Hmm it's probably because the fog needs to also be transitioned with the day and night. We got the fog to work with UniStorm by writing a custom shader and using a custom script. You could copy what we did with the ambient lighting in the UniStorm Weather System script and do the same with the fog colors. It shouldn't be hard, just use the same lerp functions we used and change them so the use adjust the fog. You will have to add 4 fog color variables:

Example:
    var fogColorDay : Color; to get the fog color

RenderSettings.fogColor = fogColorDay; to change it to the above picked color.

Apply this to the lerp functions and for night, morning, day, and dusk, under the time of day if statements.

We will probably implement this into the next update and for those who don't need it can just disable the fog, which will probably be already done.

@siflandolly By access you mean call the time trackers with a GUI to display it? I'm not sure I know it's possible though. We can add a simple GUI time keeper to the next update. If you don't need it you can disable it or you can customize the GUI textures.

@shwa Yes, to start the game with a full moon, just assign the full moon material to the moon and the system will still properly cycle through the next moon phase. To have the moon phases changed differently then the 12 am and pm you can change the numbers to .2 or .3 which will give you more of an afternoon or morning change. Use numbers between 0 and .4, I'm sure you will find a good change time that will work.

@hjupter As of now we don't quite have one, but it should be somewhat soon. No, UniStorm mobile will be a separate system as we have to change the system in order for it run properly and efficiently.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  37. siflandolly

siflandolly

Well not to display it per se. More for a scheduler of events in game. Like if I want something to happen at hour number 0 every day or something like that. I tried using GetComponent() but I didn't have access to that script. Maybe I'm not using the right namespace. You accidentally made the perfect in-game time keeper :) Great for RPG games. I could make characters go to sleep at night etc.

38. hjupter

hjupter

Ok np, how many drawcalls takes unistorm?

39. shwa

shwa

Feature request. More control over all the different elements.

1. I see a need for being able to set the weather forecast, based on time and also in general.

A. E.g., if the current forecaster randomly chooses storm/rain: I'd like to be able to set how long the storm will last.
    And also be able to set a range. e.g. storm will last min 1 minute, max 2.5 minutes.
    Right now, sometimes the storm lasts too long for my liking.

B. If i've designed a scene to last 10 minutes, i'd like to have precise control over as many of the environmental aspects as possible.
    e.g. Storm for x amount of time, then Clear sky follows for x amount of time, then partially cloudy for x amount of time.

Also, my previous question:

Looks to me like each day is 12 hours and each night is 12 hours.
    Can one tweak your core scripts, so the day is longer and night is shorter, and vice versa?

Thanks.

40. Tyrfing

Tyrfing

I'm considering purchasing UniStorm; sorry if this was answered before, I looked through the thread briefly but didn't see anything.

So it's possible to force weather systems. Is it possible to force a specific weather system only in one area? I have several areas in my game which need different weather systems to be playing continuously—so for example when you walk to the northern area it's snowing, and when you walk to the swampy area it is raining. I like the idea of having UniStorm fade into the storm as you approach said areas. Is this possible?

41. BHS

BHS

@Tyrfing Hmm you can force any weather type you want, so technically this is possible, but would require a little bit of tweaking. If you wanted constant weathers in different areas you could have a global cloud layer that acted as the clouds for everyone and every area to see. You could then have multiple UniStorm systems for each area controlling the weather for those zones. Example have a set weather for only rainy and clear for the rainy areas or clear and snowy for the mountains. Having multiple UniStorm systems should allow this. If if wanted only precipitation for the areas it would be even easier. You would need to have the particle systems attached to the players then when they go into each area they could be triggered through scripts or zones to switch the weather type or that zone. So yes it sounds very possible. This sounds very interesting though, if you deside to go with UniStorm we'd love to help you out as this would be another accomplishment for our system being as versatile as it is. Please if you have any other questions we'll help you out.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  42. BHS

BHS

Okay, so we have Unity's fog system working with UniStorm, we had to rewrite the cloud shader because it was what was causing the fog to render as black. If you use Unity's fog system the clouds will turn whatever the color the fog is set to, which you can adjust for all times of the day. So for day time the clouds can be set to a light grey which allows them to be the same color as if the fog was disabled. This allows for more realistic times of day because now your clouds and horizons can have a slight orange hint to them making the sunsets and time of day more realistic. This also fixes the dark clouds along the horizon blending them perfectly with the cloud's color.

We have read the other suggestions and we are looking into them, but we can't add things that are preference based, like how it rains too much or the storm are too long. That's why the system is randomized we have no control over it, but if you'd like the systems to be updated more often which would allow for the storms to be shorter then adjust the number on the storm randomizer. If you don't know where to find it leave a comment and we'll help out whoever needs it.

Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming.

43. Tyrfing

Tyrfing

Thanks! I've started playing around with it, but I won't have time to actually try out the suggestion until next week. I will let you know here what I find from my experimentations. That said, just purely as a weather system, I am quite impressed.

Also, just gonna say, you made a sale partly based on a quick and thorough response. Kudos. :)

Well that sounds just nifty! I was a little disappointed to hear it didn't work with Unity's fog system; it's great to know you're working on things people want. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  44. tripknotix

tripknotix

unity's fog and your fog post effect get disabled in flash, so im not sure what would happen to the clouds when exported to flash

45. Legacy

Legacy

thanks for fixing that :) i did notice now that there is some really odd issue with the global fog though when its raining its almost like a reflection o_O.

46. tripknotix

tripknotix

reflection issues like that are usually due to a post effect being used incorrectly, i have had similiar issues when using 2 cameras, 1 for skybox, and 1 for everything close up, if the close up camera has a post effect, then everything looks like a reflection upside down

47. Alcatraz

Alcatraz

I Purchase this pack. it's really cool. I have one question: how to make smooth changing weather from sunny day to storm?

48. BHS

BHS

@Alcatraz Thanks, glad you're licking it. We are working on that right now. It's very tricky because the sun is already being controlled with an interpolation, so we're trying to find a way to make it work We have a somewhat fix for it and that's to just increase the cloudy light to a brighter color so the transition is much more smooth. If you have any other questions just let us know.

49. BHS

BHS

Unity's fog system now works with UniStorm. The fog is adjustable for each time of day and the clouds change color according to the time of day given the fog color. This makes for even more realistic sunrises and sunsets. The transitions in doing so are all smooth like the other transitions. This also allows for longer day time because of the fog keeps the system from appearing dark early like what was happening before. The fog feature is not required, if you don't want it you can simply disable it. But we feel it looks much better with the fog. Feedback would be great, we will be releasing a demo video in a little bit.

This is a sunset we made, but you can adjust everything to your liking with your systems.

$FogImplementedComplete.png

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  50. Legacy

Legacy

im using the camera that came with unistorm.