Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. tripknotix

tripknotix

i tried to write some code to disable that at 0 intensity too, and it caused issues with the rain sunlight, definitely something that needs to be done at the source.

2. mcfetrmatt

mcfetrmatt

I had some issues with the download link after I purchased it but it turns out I had to log out and log back in again. About those tutorials, what email address do we email our invoice to to get the download link?? Or how ever we get them?

Thanks again
    Matthew

3. BHS

BHS

If you want to be in control of the weather and have it not be random, you can remove those lines. It works by having 2 random number ranges. These two random ranges are multiplied by the number 28 and by whatever the daylength is set to all to calculate the weatherodds. When the two random ranges are equal they update the weather by picking it randomly. So the two random ranges would be something like 2800 which is a decent chance for the weather to update. It doesn't mean it will storm, the weather will just change. When we had it to 28,000 it would only update rarely, which some people may want. We will be adding in an option to adjust this within the editor.

Yes, we know this :). It was done purposly so that when the moon sould rise you wouldn't see the dark side of the moon. We didn't use a model for the moon, we only used textures. We have the dark part of the moon cut out, it gives an illusion of it being the same color of the sky.

We didn't know this, we look into it. I'm sure we can find a way to turn the lights that are not being used off.

Well when we were having problems with UniStorm being mentioned on a pirated site, we found out. Other things we found out and read that people were obtaining assests from other packs by ripping the webplayer demos. I remember someone mentioning that was one reasons they couldn't get UniStorm..because they don't have a webplayer demo. For most people it's not a big deal. If you're using a webplayer to showcase your stuff I highly doubt that people would try to rip that. they're after assets and systems that are on the asset store.

I'm sure we can figure it out, I some ideas to how it can be accomplished.

We don't require an invoice in order to get the tutorials. We did recieve your email Matthew, sorry we didn't reply we have been pretty busy with the 1.5 release. All the tuorials are included in the documentation that we have supplied with UniStorm. The reason you had prolems was due to the asset store they have been having some issues with it.

The standard UniStorm prefab should be fine with the size of 5000x5000 I just tested it. When adjusting the clouds they shouldn't be round, they should be more of a somewhat flat oval. Try to scale just the clouds to the shape of how we did in the demo. The reason you may be having visual issues with the clouds when you scale them is because you have to adjust the far clip plane so your camera can see the clouds.

As for the MorningToMidday material just adjust the day time sky box tint. Do this while the game is running so you can find a nice shade that looks good. Then stop play mode and go back to the editor and set it to the color you liked.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. artician

artician

May I offer some suggestions?

For the moon, it only works when transparent if your end user doesn't change the night sky color. My projects night sky became blue, where the moon stuck out quite a bit. If it's possible, consider using a whole moon and shading (via a mask, maybe) the dark portion with the same RGB value that you're blending from the night sky.

Something else I had noticed that is actually more important to me is the that the horizon color and lighting is somewhat unidirectional. Currently when the sun sets in the east the horizon by the sun is the color of the sunset, but the horizon in the opposite direction (and in every direction) is the exact same color. If it's at all possible I would love to see opposite sides of the hemisphere appear more appropriate colors, so that a horizon with a sunset is the color of the sunset, while the horizon in the opposite direction is the color of the night sky, with a gradient between the two.

I understand this may not be possible if you're trying to keep your system compatible with mobile platforms. If not though, you could investigate sorting and blending separate objects to color the sky in certain portions. I've used similar approaches for my own work in the past, so I know it's doable, just depends on if it's your goal. Either way I'm happy with your product. Thanks.

5. BHS

BHS

@artician We will look into the moon shading, but we also have to keep performance in mind. The moon and sky use hardly any draw calls and we'd like to keep it like that.

6. BHS

BHS

We are hard at work with UniStorm 1.6 and are currently developing the dynamic snow system. This is probably the most challenging feature yet, but we've got things working for our early concept and we'd like some feedback. We will be releasing a video within the next day or two of an early test. Creating dynamic snow is no easy task, partly because we wanted to make sure that the way we go would support both versions of Unity, which it does.

We would also like more ideas for weather types and weather types for different seasons. Please if you guys have some ideas leave a comment and it might be added to UniStorm 1.6. For winter we have heavy snow and light snow, but what else cant there be? Lightly blowing snowflakes on a partly cloud day like Skyrim, or a dusty windy day in summer. We would like to make each season unique with their weather types, we know that all seasons have rain, but we'd like a couple unique weather types for each season. Suggestions really do help.

There's a lot to get done with UniStorm 1.6 and we will be working hard to get it to our customers.

7. Legacy

Legacy

could you maybe add in some tornado particle effects? Also could you add back the on screen rain effect? An easy way for developers to remove the on screen rain effect when entering a building would be to just put trigger colliders inside the building so when a player walks inside the building a trigger event is fired and they can turn off the effect until the player exits.

8. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

+1

9. trelobyte

trelobyte

any estimate on when the mobile version of uniStorm is going to be available ?

10. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I haven't bought UniStorm just yet so maybe this is possible already, but I'd really like to see weather-meets-environment effects, like heavy wind in an autumn forest causing a "rain" of colored leaves, or spring winds filling the air with cherry blossom petals. If these could somehow be linked to the actual tree colliders that would be awesome but I'd also settle for just having a cloud of leaves/petals/pollen that would cover the whole scene. Other things that would be cool are environmental flora/fauna effects that are tied to weather, like fireflies that come out at night only when it's calm and humid, or butterflies that only come out during hot and clear summer days. Or mosquitos that come out when it's damp and humid after a storm. I think those could all be done as particle effects or billboards similar to rain or snow, so it should be possible within your framework.

11. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

are you completely crazy? what about requesting a feature like built a complete game including all models, textures and what else might be possible fitting my secret thoughts? it is just a tool offering a well defined amount of features. anything else is up to you…
    or do i get anything wrong?

the more complex any framework gets the less efficient it will be. a well documented api should enable you to implement all the features you need for you special project.

just my 50 cent.

lars

12. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I agree with Lars. I hope UniStorm focuses on being an awesome Day/Night weather system and nothing more. That would be the best service it could provide to me, I'll handle butterflies and fireflies on my own thanks.

13. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Jeez guys chill out. Did you even read the post I responded to? BHS himself said:

We would also like more ideas for weather types and weather types for different seasons. Please if you guys have some ideas leave a comment and it might be added to UniStorm 1.6. For winter we have heavy snow and light snow, but what else cant there be? Lightly blowing snowflakes on a partly cloud day like Skyrim, or a dusty windy day in summer. We would like to make each season unique with their weather types, we know that all seasons have rain, but we'd like a couple unique weather types for each season. Suggestions really do help.

I'm just offering suggestions for new weather types LIKE HE ASKED US TO. I'm not making demands. Calm yourselves. Hate leads to the dark side.

14. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Also, adding leaf particle emitters to trees or pollen/firefly emitters that follow the player is a lot easier than "a complete game including all models, textures and what else might be possible fitting my secret thoughts". I've actually already got leaf particle emitters on my trees and it didn't take very long to set up; you guys should look at Shuriken in 3.5; it's actually not too difficult to get some of these effects up and working.

15. BHS

BHS

Somewhat agreed, we want UniStorm to stay efficient and focus on what it being a day and night system; although it is also a dynamic weather system. Those are some nice features, but we want to do what's only necessary. It's easy to add everything you said to UniStorm just do what we did with the rain and create your own weather type.

Snow is something that we have been wanting to implement for a long time, as well as seasons. We will add other weather types to UniStorm and we know how to do this efficiently because we have been working with this system for almost 5 months now. We can promise that we will focus on being a dynamic day and night weather system, but you have to remember that we have a lot of customers all wanting different things. One way we can appeal to everyone is by allowing the users to disable the features they don't want to use. We have made sure to do this with the dynamic snow, so if people don't want to use it, they can simply disable it and the snow system will still work perfectly fine. We also allow the users to be in control of the maximum particles for each weather type so they can make things as efficient as they'd like.

We already have leaf particles, but all those features are more player based. The more you add to one weather type the more it hits performance, so you can't just have 5 different particle systems for one weather type. I do like the fireflies and butterflies idea for summer. We may just use these, as separate weather types of course. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  16. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Well, then I'm sorry for causing so much rage and suffering. I retract my suggestions and replace them with "DON'T ADD ANYTHING!" ;)

Edit:

Saw you just edited your post. That's cool that there are leaf particles already, I wasn't clear if that was part of it from the movie. I would say that if you do add some more environmental effects I think that would be awesome, but it seems like larsbertam might hunt me down and kill me if you add butterflies, so maybe not. ;)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  17. tripknotix

tripknotix

I'm actually still trying to balance out the look of things, with mobile shaders, and removing any orange effects. =/ this gonna take longer than i thought to upgrade to 1.5 lol

18. Lypheus

Lypheus

Great product, works right out of the box - thanks!

Just a couple questions:

1. The leaves, can we avoid having them appear inside a building during a storm? Only saw this happen a few times so maybe that's the intent and I have something going on with my building mesh that allows this? Or do we need to handle this ourselves with zones?

2. I'm seeing the following http://screencast.com/t/RUyE3V3zIu - is there a way to get that 'mist' effect to blend a bit more gracefully instead of being so obvious?

19. BHS

BHS

It's easy to remove the orange effects, it's just the color of the ambient lighting. Change it to a grey shade or whatever you'd like and this will fix the orange effects.

Well the leaves have a slight bounce factor to simulate them rolling. Just go to the world collider setting in the leave's settings and turn off the bounce and this will fix it.

That's the global fog distance you can adjust this by opening the UniStormWeatherSystem script and going to line 510 and changing the two 30 numbers to something closer. Test a number like 10 or 20 and I'm sure you'll find something that works. If you want it super close to where you can't see the fog line then change it to .5. This is supposed to simulate the foggy mist that happens when it rains, it's usually 20 or 30 feet in front of you not right next to you, but if you don't like that doing the above will fix it.

20. lasco

lasco

Hi there,

Just wanted to know something I'm not sure about when only looking at features pages.
    Is UniStorm the good tool for making an heliodon player ?

I work on urban planing scene, mostly schematic views with orbital cameras. Mean not looking for realistic walkthrough scenes.
    What I need is to localize Earth's coordinate of the scene (latitude-longitude) and have :
    - a slider (or buttons) for the day and month
    - a slider for the hours

Which means of course that when opening scene the sun is not "running", it's stopped at a given hour and only the player makes it move with the hour-slider.

The goal is to show with ACCURACY cast shadows of buildings depending on seasons and hours.
    Don't need (for the moment) all weather effects (clouds, rain etc).

I'm looking for a real ready-to-use engine with all scripts allready made (will only change their GUI looking).

It means mainly that the tool must include the algortithm linking Earth's coordinates / sun position and angle.
    In no case I will programm it myself.
    I noticed a feature on the first page :
    "Sun’s angle is now fully adjustable and controlled by the user’s input"
    what does this precisely mean relatively to what I mentioned above ?

Is UnityStorm appropriate for this ? Or is it rather a tool for making "nice skys and clouds" that seems realistic but are not linked to "geo-reality" and real position of the sun ?

Again sorry if I ask for something already mentioned on features pages but I did not find what I'm looking for.

Thanx by advance.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  21. proso

proso

I need exactly the same! I hope it's possible!

22. tripknotix

tripknotix

i had to modify the skyboxes as well, i turned them into grayscale boxes so that the tint effects their color, not a hard coded color, its the only way to get the bright horizon at mid day, and dark horizon at dusk, and leaving the orange sun shafts post effect to create the orange sunset like effect.

23. firesharkstudios

firesharkstudios

OK, so our project was already using v1.4. I've now imported v1.5. I now have both a UniStorm_v1.4 directory with a "UniStormSystem_1.4.1" prefab and a UniStorm_v1.5 directory with a "UniStormSystem_1.5.0" prefab.

Is the recommended upgrade process to completely remove all existing 1.4.1 references in the scene and readd from the 1.5.0 prefab? Uggh.

24. BHS

BHS

As for the GUI controls we can't just implement this into the system, as most people won't need these features. You can however do this yourself pretty easily just as we have done with our slider in our demo videos. There's no way to actually make the sun "stop", but you can make it go really slow, so slow that it's technically stopped.

As for plugging in world's coordinates this isn't something we can just add to the system as it's unnecessary for most developers. As far as accuracy goes, I think our system is the closest you're going to find. From what I've read, heliodons that are created using computers to artificially predict the sun's rotations and movements use quaternions interpolations, which is what our system and its axis' are based off of. When we said you can control the sun's rotations we mean just that. You can control every angle that the sun can possibly have within realistic world rotations. When you rotate the sun's angle it's also based off of quaternions. You can make it go from directly overhead to very close to the horizon, and everything in between, from both the left and the right sides of the horizon. If you wanted to also control this with a GUI bar it would be easy and could be done with adding one line of code.

If you'd like we could make a video demo showing this feature off. Are there any other questions you have?

I'm not exactly sure, I thought the update was supposed to update all the assets. We haven't imported a updated version ourselves, but others have and haven't seem to have any problems. I'd say if you have duplicates of all the assets in each folder, then it's okay to delete the old version folder. Only do this if you have all the assets needed to make the 1.5 version run.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  25. proso

proso

For me, a tutorial about implementing a accurate day and time sliders would be extremely helpfull! :cool:

26. tripknotix

tripknotix

im also not sure how the start date and current time work with eachother, like if i wanted the server to change the time on the unistorm package, do i just do, currenttime = 0.35 , or something if thats the current time, and so long as the start time and duration of a day are the same, it will be correct across all systems.

27. lasco

lasco

Thank you very much for reply BHS.

OK so this tool may be great for game developers but not for urban-landscape planning-design.

I understand how cool the features UniStorm can be but the "freedom" of rotating sun in every positions to get nice haze or sunsets effects is not exactly my goal here.

The goal is that I can tell to my client with let's say a 5 or 6 % error margin : "the shadow of this building will REALLY be 35 meters long on september 21th at 3:00 PM".

I of course understand you have yourself many clients and can't write a plug exactly made for each one.
    Lucky are game developpers who use your tool.

For me I saw there is some other stuff on Asset Store that include latitude and longitude (more expensive though :( ) so I'm gonna have a look out there.

Thank you so much, anyway.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  28. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Finally got this yesterday and I had a few questions.

First, the package includes a ton of stuff that overwrites components in Unity's Standard Assets and Editor, as well as a copy of SixTimesNothing's Terrain Toolkit plugin. I unchecked all of that when I imported and so far it seems mostly ok. Do I need to overwrite all of that with your versions? Instead of overwriting the Standard Assets folder, can you put anything Unistorm specific into the Unistorm folder? I use a lot of plugins including a modified version of the Terrain Toolkit and anytime one of them wants to overwrite Standard or someone else's plugin it's a headache.

Second - I have HDR and SSAO enabled on my camera, and the day seemed really bright; almost blinding. Is it HDR causing this? I saw you left it off in the demo scene. Do you have any recommendations for adjusting the sunlight to look better with HDR turned on?

29. BHS

BHS

Hm I wasn't aware that those pluggins were included in the packaging. This was way back when we first started UniStorm. I don't know why Unity includes things that aren't supposed to be included sometimes. The terrain tool kit was used to create the terrain, so if no one cares we will remove both pluggins the next time we do an update, which will be relatively soon. Sorry for the issues, we'll get right on it and fix it.

Yes, we have tested HDR, SSAO, and Color Correction, they are all supported. The reason it is so bright is because of the Bloom and Flares effect on the camera, just turn the intensity down. Also you can adjust the fog or the skybox tint for the time of day that's too bright and darken the color. I just tested this myself and it worked and looked great. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  30. Legacy

Legacy

Is it just me or are the splashes not actually showing up? also the rain goes right through the terrain o_O and yes it is on the default layer and the world particle collider is set to everything o_O

31. Legacy

Legacy

32. BHS

BHS

Very strange, aren't you using a plugin for the terrain? I would check to make sure that the splash collisions script is attached to the rain, also make sure the splash prefab is attached to the script. This could be why you're having problems. As for the splashes themselves, they are set to splash very quickly to keep draw calls down, but you can extend the life if you want. I think that they're not showing up at all though because of the above so check those 2 things. You should have no problem seeing the default splashes though.

33. Legacy

Legacy

nope only plugin im using is terrain mapper and its only used for textures. Will try those :)

34. OrbitusII

OrbitusII

This is boss! I'll get this for sure once I cobble together the $60!

35. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I've noticed my weather almost never changes, and it doesn't seem to be based on the hour like the earlier comments mentioned. I looked in the code and saw this part:

weatherOdds = dayLength * 28000; //Set at 25, which needs to be 20ish, setting higher for video
    random = Random.Range(0,weatherOdds);
    random2 = Random.Range(1,weatherOdds);
    //Picks our forecast randomly, if random generators are equal
    if (random == random2)
    {
    weatherForecaster = Random.Range(1,9);
    }

This seems kind of funky... it seems every tick of the update loop there's a 1 in 40320000 chance of the weather changing? It seems like it would be better to have it check once an hour instead of every tick and make the odds much lower. With it every tick there's always the chance that it would change five seconds after it changes the first time which is weird.

If I could recommend a change, I think it would be better to make a public var for "weather chance" that you can choose in the editor, a value between 0 and 1, and then every hour do something like
    if(Random.Range(0.0,1.0) < weatherChance) weatherForecaster = Random.Range(1,9);

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  36. BHS

BHS

The reason the odds are so high is because we made a mistake and forgot to put the odds lower before we submitted the package. We did this so there would be no interruptions while we recorded the demo video, our mistake. Like the comment says its supposed to be 25.

We'd like to work on a new algorithm that randomly generates weather better, not that the way we've done it doesn't work, it's just it could be updated. The hard part is that the weather odds are also based off the day speed, but of its updated every hour than that could also work. We originally planned this, but some people said they wanted it to happen at any minute. I agree though, I think we will go with it being updated ever hour. I'm sure we can work out a nice algorithm that will improve weather odds. Like always, we'll get right on it.

37. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I think people who want it to happen any minute probably actually mean they don't want the transition to happen at exactly one hour on the dot every time, because it might be noticeable. They probably don't want it to change from clear to foggy to clear in five minutes. One thing you could do is every hour, add a random time modifier between -20 and +20 minutes for when to check for the next forecast change. That way instead of always changing at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 it will change at something random like 1:10, 1:53, 3:17. But it would still on average only check once an hour so you don't have to worry about weird rapid changes within the same few minutes.

I think also changing the chance for a change into a public variable and a percentage (float between 0 and 1) would make it easier for users to understand what exactly the odds are. The way it is now, the "25" you can set it to doesn't really have meaning to the user; if he wanted to change the odds he'd have to just kind of fumble around and see what works. I believe 25 would make it so that with a default day of 1440 minutes, you'd have a one in 36000 chance per tick to change, and ticks are framerate dependent; someone with a higher framerate would get more weather changes than someone with a low framerate, which doesn't make much sense.

38. pchan3

pchan3

I too am not able to create splashes. I have a RainFrontSystem with Mistcloud RainSystem1.5 and attached to the RainSystem 1.5 there is the Rain Collisions Script with the explosion object being the splash prefab.

is this the correct way of doing it?, its been wracking my brain for the best part of 3 hours now :S

Everything else is pretty good!

39. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

One more suggestion: Could you make the moon solid rather than transparent where it's dark? You're not supposed to see stars shining through the dark part of the moon. If you look at Skyrim, their moon is a solid sphere and the dark part is just dark, not transparent.

40. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Also, I'm still having trouble with HDR. If I enable HDR on the camera in the demo scene and change the forecast to 1 for fog, the sky turns orange with black clouds. If I turn HDR off, it looks correct, all grey. It seems to be something in the "CloudsHeavy" layer. Turning that off makes the sky blue but then it doesn't turn grey with fog.

Figured it out: I changed the StormShader on that material; the one line here:

Code (csharp):
    2. half4 frag (v2f i) : COLOR
    3. {
    4.     return 2.0f * i.color * _Color * tex2D(_MainTex, i.texcoord);
    5. }
    to this:

Code (csharp):
    2. half4 frag (v2f i) : COLOR
    3. {
    4.     return 1.0f * i.color * _Color * tex2D(_MainTex, i.texcoord);
    5. }
    I believe multiplying the color (sky blue) by 2 gives you a blue value greater than 1, which will translate to its inverse (orange) when HDR is on. When HDR is off, color values greater than 1 just get clamped so it doesn't show up. Changing it to 1 (or just getting rid of that multiplier) makes it dark grey, which is what I would expect.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  41. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

One more bug: "Mostly Clear" weather turns global fog off but none of the other weathers ever turn it back on. So once you get clear weather once, you never get global fog again.

42. Legacy

Legacy

hmm still nothing even if i size up the particle and change the energy which causes massive frame rate drops. Rain does not appear to be going through any meshes, the splash object is showing in the heirarchy but nothing shows up on screen o_O

43. pchan3

pchan3

I got it to work by changing the deafault energy requirement to 3 for the rain collision script. Performance can get pretty bad for more than 1200 particles. I'm running i7 6gb ram overclocked gtx 460. So best to have low particles and the the rain just follow the camera/player

44. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the tips and bug report, I'll get right on them.

Make sure your settings are set to the below, I think somehow they were changed.

World Particle Collider set everything to 0 except, Collision Loss Energey, set this to -6

And make sure your rain collision script burst energy is set to 3

I think these will fix your problems.

45. proso

proso

I'm making a game with water4 and Unistorm. But when I assings the 'sun_moon' transform as specular position, it doesn't match the real sun position. When I change the sun angle, the position relative to the sun is different every angle. Does anybody know how to solve this? Thanks

46. Legacy

Legacy

My settings are already set to that o_O.

47. artician

artician

@proso - That could be caused by your refraction if you have a really high value for it, and a refraction map that's not tiled much, or has mostly large detail in it. Just one thing you could look at, hope it helps.

48. proso

proso

That doesn't work (or I'm doing it wrong). I didn't tweak anything, just added Unistorm and water4 (advanced) to my scene.. Any suggestions?

49. BHS

BHS

That's very weird. Try importing UniStorm into a new project and see if the problem persists, if it doesn't then it's something in your project. Let me know if it works, I'll try to figure out what's causing it.

That's an odd problem, I have never had problem with reflections. Did you adjust the settings for the light rays? Maybe it's the way you setup the water reflections. I think you can adjust the displacement.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  50. proso

proso

I tried to make a new project with a new scene. Only added unistorm and water4 (basic and advanced) and I didn't change any value. With both I get the shifted specular. Other standard water assets doesn't have specular. I can adjust displacement, but than all reflections are shifted too.
    I think everyone has this problem, but i'm not sure if its the water or Unistorm settings.
    Any other suggestions?