Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Strange, it should work. If it's not, then something isn't properly attached to UniStorm. Is this a custom scene?

Is your camera attached to UniStorm? Also, does the demo scene work okay?

2. wood333

wood333

I just attempted to import Unistorm 2.0, via the asset store window, using Unity3d 5.1.1f1, into my project and was rewarded with 200 errors and 30 warnings, that I have (hopefully) tracked down to the installer's attempt to upgrade standard assets that did not need to be upgraded. Before I freak out and prematurely end my evaluation of Unistorm, (which I do own, by the way), I have a question.

I see you have a demo for spawning a player and applying Unistorm (bravo for making our life easier), what would be your recommended procedure for keeping Unistorm weather constant while advancing the player from one scene to a different but contemporaneous scene (a physically adjacent scene with the same weather).

Thank you for your dedication to your asset and Unity3d.

3. BHS

BHS

Those sound like the Image Effect issues and this is because of the different versions that Unity has. The best way to fix them is to (first back up your project) then delete the image effects, delete UniStorm, reimport UniStorm. If you have multiple image effects in different locations, this can also cause issues.

Note: This isn't a UniStorm issue. It's a pretty standard issue with asset that use image effects within their scripts or asset folders. Unity just needs to allow its Image Effects to detect if there's a new version or not. The fix is just to remove them all, reimport, then they recompile.

I would use our InstantWeather() function. This function allows you to set the weather so that it is instantly and fully transitioned. This can be called on start or with some type of custom loading function. As along as the weather from the previous scene is saved (the weatherForecaster variable), it can passed to UniStorm's InstantWeather() function.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have anymore questions.

4. Unplug

Unplug

thanks for the quick answer. Something was certainly in conflict. To solve the situation I have completely remove the standard asset, horizon ON, terrain composer world composer and unistorm. After deleting i have imported everything back starting by the standard asset and everything is now working properly.

I have another quick question. Where are we supposed to set the sun flare ? I see there is a sun glare item that is by default turn on but if i turn it on it is not align with sun object. What i did was attach a flare to the sun and i used the unistorm sun flare and i left the sun glare off. Is it what we are supposed to do ?

5. BHS

BHS

We don't use the sun glare anymore so you can delete it. The new sun system we have works a lot better (this is assuming you're using UniStorm version 2.0).

6. BHS

BHS

This video demonstrates the improved weather effects, transitions, dynamic wind, lighting, skies (night skies will now have an adjustable color option for horizon lighting as seen in the video), improved clouds, and more. We have also added more options to the Editor to better control weather related effects such as fog fading in and out speeds.

We're also demonstrating UniStorm being used on a larger terrain and with more going on within the world itself. This terrain is 13 square miles. We also have 1,000 dynamically wandering, herding, and hunting animals roaming around. We still managed to keep 60 frames per second throughout the video.

We have used our Emerald Animal AI system for the animals. All animals act dynamically. If you're interested in this, you can find it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40199

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  7. Unplug

Unplug

(yes using 2.0) well by default i can't see any flare in the lens of the camera so i' don't really understand where i should set this and how to achieve a nice sun effet. the default sun is not so cinematic and i wish to be able to make it more dramatic. If sun glare is not use maybe remove it from package. It get confusing to what is good and what is not. Plus, it's confusing me (ok im a beginner) so have the environment lighting set to NONE in my "lighting" window. Should i link it to something inside unistorm ?

nice video btw

8. webik150

webik150

Hey, I've found another problem (Although it might not be caused by UniStorm itself). My "Sun" in environment lighting keeps resetting to null. It stays there for a while, but when I reopen the project it's null.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

9. Unplug

Unplug

I would like to add that there is a strange behavior during full night and "morning/sunrise" the sky literally jump from black to blue without any transition. This also occur when a storm is setting up, it just shift to a full black sky without any transition. I have not mess around with setting and color... i'll try to post a video

10. BHS

BHS

From what we've heard, this is a Unity bug. Unity is supposed to save your sun after you have applied it.

The reason your skies are turning blue at night is because your sun object is empty. When it's empty, Unity will grab the brightest object in the sky. At night the moon light is the brightest so Unity uses that. It is supposed to save your sun after you have applied it so I have no idea why it's resetting.

11. webik150

webik150

Ok thanks, I'll file a bug report then :).

12. Unplug

Unplug

thanks, it work perfectly now !!

(still have trouble with storm, same effect)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  13. Unplug

Unplug

hello another quick question i have tried the scrip available here
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Example_Scripts

to set light to open at night, but the script take all the light (including sun, moon, unwanted direction light, etc.). does anyone know how to fix this ? and if it's possible to set it so that light intensity span from 0 to something over a period of time to have a nice smooth transition between day/night ambiance

14. webik150

webik150

Simply remove this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. lights = FindObjectsOfType(typeof(Light)) as Light[];
    You'll have to put all lights you want to toggle into the Lights array in the inspector.
    Also for the smooth transition, you could either use an animation, or InvokeRepeating().

For example, I am changing my water's color to darker for the night. At the right hour, I call InvokeRepeating on a method that changes the color by a little bit. Then, I check in Update() if the color is as dark as it should be and if it is, I call CancelInvoke to stop changing the color.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.InvokeRepeating.html
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.CancelInvoke.html

15. Unplug

Unplug

webik150 it doesn't work. In the inspector i can set the array to whatever number i need, i then link the light inside but when i push play it automatically add every other possible light. I'll read your link, i'm getting started in coding in C# i only have a background in acritionscrip 2 and 3. completely something else, but somehow always the same mathematical thinking.

16. webik150

webik150

Are you using C# or Javascript version? And have you deleted that line like I told you to?

I actually started with AS2 too :D. The main difference (apart from almost everything else) is to understand Object-Based coding (even though it's not so important in unity).

I'll make the code for you because I have nothing else to do at the moment.

EDIT:
    Here it is. Took little longer than anticipated because of few basic mistakes. Should be working fine now.
    Usage:
    Same as the original example, with these additions:
    1. Step - how much will the light intensity change each loop.
    2. Delay - Time in seconds between each loop.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. /// <summary>
    2. /// Turns lights on and off smoothly.
    3. /// Made by webik150 from the UniStorm example.
    4. /// For use by anyone.
    5. /// If you don't like it go to hell.
    6. /// </summary>
    7. using UnityEngine;
    8. using System.Collections;
    10. public class ChangeLightsSmoothly : MonoBehaviour
    11. {
    13.     private GameObject uniStormSystem;
    14.     public bool eventTestBool = false;
    15.     public bool disableLightsAtStart = true;
    16.     public int hourOfEvent;
    17.     public Light[] lights;
    18.     public float lightIntensity = 2f;
    19.     public float step = 0.05f;
    20.     public float delay = 0.02f;
    22.     void Awake ()
    23.     {
    25.         //Find the UniStorm Weather System Editor, this must match the UniStorm Editor name
    26.         uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find ("UniStormSystemEditor");
    28.     }
    30.     void Start ()
    31.     {
    33.         if (uniStormSystem == null) {
    34.             //Error Log if script is unable to find UniStorm Editor
    35.             Debug.LogError ("<color=red>Null Reference:</color> You must have the UniStorm Editor in your scene and named 'UniStormSystemEditor'. Make sure your C# UniStorm Editor has this name. ");
    36.         }
    37.         if (disableLightsAtStart) {
    38.             foreach (Light gameObj in lights) {
    39.                 gameObj.enabled = false;
    40.                 gameObj.intensity = 0;
    41.                 eventTestBool = false;
    43.             }
    44.         }
    46.     }
    48.     void Update ()
    49.     {
    52.         if (uniStormSystem != null) {
    53.             if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C> ().hourCounter >= hourOfEvent && eventTestBool == false) {
    56.                 foreach (Light gameObj in lights) {
    57.                     StartCoroutine (turnOn (gameObj, delay, step));
    58.                     eventTestBool = true;
    60.                 }
    62.             }
    64.             if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C> ().hourCounter >= 6 && uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C> ().hourCounter < hourOfEvent && eventTestBool == true) {  
    66.                 foreach (Light gameObj in lights) {
    68.                     StartCoroutine (turnOff (gameObj, delay, step));
    70.                     eventTestBool = false;
    72.                 }
    74.             }
    75.         }
    77.     }
    79.     IEnumerator turnOn (Light light, float delay, float step)
    80.     {
    81.         if (light.intensity == lightIntensity) {
    82.             return false;
    83.         }
    84.         if (light.intensity > lightIntensity) {
    85.             light.intensity = lightIntensity;
    86.             return false;
    87.         }
    88.         if (light.intensity < lightIntensity) {
    89.             light.enabled = true;  
    90.             yield return new WaitForSeconds (delay);
    91.             light.intensity += step;
    92.             StartCoroutine (turnOn (light, delay, step));
    93.         }
    94.     }
    96.     IEnumerator turnOff (Light light, float delay, float step)
    97.     {
    98.         if (light.intensity == 0) {
    99.             light.enabled = false;  
    101.             return false;
    102.         }
    103.         if (light.intensity < 0) {
    104.             light.intensity = 0;
    105.             light.enabled = false;  
    107.             return false;
    108.         }
    109.         if (light.intensity > 0) {
    110.             yield return new WaitForSeconds (delay);
    111.             light.intensity -= step;
    112.             StartCoroutine (turnOff (light, delay, step));
    113.         }
    114.     }
    116. }

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. Unplug

Unplug

oh wow thanks, that is super cool. I was able to solve (understand) the turning ON and OFF after watching the unity beginner tutorial on unity website, I begin to understand the basic and i'm able to link unity thinking into what AS (var, function, _root. parrent. etc...) I was coding in AS2 and 3 pretty much like a object base. Always have 1 frame, lot of coding and never use timeline beside each item animation. I was able to do games, so i guess i will be able to learn unity.

Your piece of code will serve as my second tutorial about coding, thanks a lot ! will post the result soon it's a really nice and accurate render of Montreal City .

18. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

when will the mobile update be done ? can you give a date ?

19. eco_bach

eco_bach

20. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hi Black Horizons Team

I finally got around to purchasing Unistorm and I've installed it and gotten past all the conflicts, and am already to go, but I'm stuck on this camera setup.

I would simply like to use the UniStorm camera as default and I've read this page (http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorials).

Once I remove my FPS controller and use UniStorm, I get the yellow error; "The referenced script on this behavior is missing!", and the player camera simply drops down to ground level and falls through.

I know this is a newbie problem, but what solution can you advise?

thanks in advance :)

21. BuckeyeStudios

BuckeyeStudios

i am using MFPS(witch uses photon) and wanted to use this will it sync automatically or do i have to make scripts or does it come with scripts that does this

22. TechCor

TechCor

Is a "getting rained on" image effect planned at some point?

That survival demo scene would be much more impressive with more visual feedback when it comes to "in rain / under shelter". ;)

23. BHS

BHS

They're from the Nature Pack here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1021

We retextured the leaves and bark though.

We don't give out dates, but we are working on it. After our Emerald Animal AI update here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...e-predators-prey-packs-herds-and-more.336521/ we will be finalizing our UniStorm Mobile and Desktop updates.

Nothing syncs automatically, you just have to watch the startTime and weatherForecaster variables with a custom script.

We had one planned for UniStorm 2.0, but Unity made some shader changes so we are having to rewrite it, but yes.

24. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hi BHS,

I figured out a work around for my the camera problem. For anyone else who can't use the default Unistorm 2.0 camera which doesn't work when installed, simply delete the player camera from the hierarchy and drag and drop the player spawn camera from the Unistorm Prefab folder in the Project menu.

25. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the tip. However, our camera does work after you have imported it into your projects. This has been tested a couple of times on 2 different computers.

26. BHS

BHS

A lot of our customer have requested some type of NPC AI example with UniStorm that react to weather, time, etc. So, with UniStorm 2.1 we will include a AI example that does just that.

UniStorm customers, that use Unity 4, will also get this update. This will include everything with the 2.0 update as well.

Finally, UniStorm Mobile customers will get the 2.1 update for both Unity 4 and 5.

This all requires a lot of work and we appreciate the continued support. We assure our customers that you will get the most current version of UniStorm regardless if you are using Unity 4 or UniStorm Mobile.

With our rewrite we did with UniStorm 2.0, our updates are a lot easier and take a fraction of the time.

Like we have been doing for over 3 years with UniStorm, our customers will continue to get updates with new features and improvements, as well as feature requests.

We look forward to our new 2.1 update and we are sure our customers, and future customers will love it.

27. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@BHS I really hope Im wrong and i will get surprised, but after 2 years and a half of promising updates for unistorm mobile that will make it usable, we still have an outdated asset with half of the features from desktop unistorm when we paid the same price.
    I understand that you are busy with new asset like emerald AI, but if you still have some esteem for Unistorm mobile customers ( asset reviews speaks for themselves) it would be kind to commit the desktop version within the Unistorm mobile version which is up to date and let us tweak it ourselves for mobile instead of not giving date because you do not really plan on updating it.

28. BHS

BHS

We are currently working on updating UniStorm Mobile for both Unity 4 and 5 users as well as UniStorm Desktop for Unity 4 users. It shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

Tiny-Tree likes this.
  29. melonhead

melonhead

@BHS rain on screen effect? seem to have been waiting ages for this to return, was promised this over 6 months ago!!!

30. Spiral-Organ

Spiral-Organ

31. Belagar

Belagar

Love the Product! i have everything working in my scene with a 3rd party controller except the particles...now i have read the wiki and still cannot get it to work....i found a script get unistorm components and added it to my camera but still no snow or rain....any suggestions?

EDIT- I found out i had to keep the unistorm player enabled in scene but not unistorm camera[SOLVED]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  32. BHS

BHS

Unity redid the way transparency is handled with Unity 5, so we are having to rewrite it. It will be available with the next update.

It uses a procedural skybox which simulates atmospheric scattering.

Great to hear you found a solution. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

33. melonhead

melonhead

@BHS thanks cant wait.

34. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Does any one have the link for the Unistorm Version 2 pdf manual?
    I can't seem to find it anywhere in my asset folder.

I am trying to deal with this error

Please apply a C# Sun Shaft Script to your camera GameObject.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:GetAllComponents() (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:894)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:Start() (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:619)

I forgot what needs to be selected as the sun and moon objects during sunshaft setup but I can't find the manual..

Thanks

35. BHS

BHS

The manual can be found by going to Windows>UniStorm>Wiki

Here's a link to your solution:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._Fog_Image_Effects_when_trying_to_run_a_scene

You just need to apply the sunsfhaft image effect to your camera. UniStorm should disable that feature if it's not applied though.

36. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Thx - I got it working.

37. Alex3333

Alex3333

Good afternoon. I recently bought your Asset. You can make synchronization weather Photon PUN? This is very important!! The question still is. How to make that rain does not pass through buildings and other facilities. For example, I'm a big rock and the rain did not pass through the stone. . Similarly, in the building - I'm standing and the rain passes through the building. It's very sad !!! Also, I've got them in the cave, I go down and see how the rain, lightning, etc. Waiting for an answer from you.

38. melonhead

melonhead

silly question but do you have a mesh collider on your building?

39. Alex3333

Alex3333

Of course there are))) but the rain passes through colliders

40. melonhead

melonhead

sounds a bit strange, thought that was the point of colliders!!!

41. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it has been almost two weeks now, is unistorm mobile update finally done ? if not what is left to do ?

42. BHS

BHS

Yes, there's a tutorial here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...ith-playable-demo.121021/page-61#post-2185271

We're finishing both systems and they should be submitted sometime next week.

43. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

@BHS I have been using UniStorm in several projects for some time now, and pulled it over to a new project I started a few weeks ago now, and I can't find the slider to control the Ambient light Intensity, which I need at 1, not 0.5.

Also, no matter what settings I mess around with, I cannot quite get the lighting I need for the specific style, everything is always too dark and you can't see any of the rock detail on the walls.

44. BHS

BHS

Ambient Light Intensity can by adjusted via the Lighting Option under Window>Lighting. You also need to change the lighting type from Skybox to Color. This will get rid of the darkness.

45. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Hey there,

I have just imported Unistorm into my scene, and created a C# weather system. I am using the Unistorm player, and without making any changes to the scene (except the position of the player) I am having a lighting issue.

No matter what the weather, time of day/night this bright reflection is consistent across the scene, how can I stop this?

Here is the scene view, at 1:55pm

Here is the scene view at run time

I'm not sure what the problem is, so any help is appreciated, great work with Unistorm guys, it's amazing! Keep up this great work.

Thanks - Brandon Sidebottom

[EDIT] Also, for some reason there is a small light flickering around the screen randomly (only at certain times) Like here

This seems to be random, but only occurs at sunrise/sunset when the sky is orange. I have seen it in the mornings but the spec is white, and not orange... Any suggestions?

Once again, thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  46. BHS

BHS

Make sure you don't have more than one directional light inside your scene.

Adjust your textures so that they aren't as reflective, if you haven't already done so.

Finally, set your Ambient Source in the Window>Lighting Options to Ambient.

TheBlackBox likes this.
  47. TheBlackBox

TheBlackBox

Thanks for your help! I managed to fix my problems by changing the color settings and deleting an additional directional light that I had in the scene.

Another problem that I'm having, when I try to add a time event, I get the error

"ArgumentException: The thing you want to instantiate is null."

What's going on there?

48. BHS

BHS

Can you please provide an example of what you are using? It's hard to tell when we don't have one.

Adding a time event is simple and can be achieved by looking at this example: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Example_Scripts#Have_an_Event_Happen_at_a_Certain_Time

You just need a reference of UniStorm, then you can call all of its variables.

49. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

@BHS Is it possible to quickly shut off the weather system without it stopping instantly?
    I am looking to smoothly turn off the rain I have (Heavy Rain No Thunder) smoothly, turn off the particles and turn down the intensity on an image effect on the player all at the same time after an event is triggered.

50. kilju

kilju

hello just bought uni storm and it looks really good. got one problem tho.
    my clouds are black and i when i adjust ambien intencivity to 1 they look really good. but now my night time is too bright.
    we want really dark nighttime in our game. any idea how to fix this?

thx
    - Toni