Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Legacy

Legacy

Also can you please tell me what shaders or image effects are being used to transition to storms... i just bought the big environment pack and i cant use it with unistorm because if i import the standard assets that come with unistorm they overwrite the ones in the big environment pack and i get loads of errors, now if i dont import the ones with unistorm i end up getting that black skys bug probably because i have the wrong version of some image effect or shader your using from standard assets(stuff really should be renamed because it conflicts with other projects especially if your using different versions of standard assets.)

2. roots

roots

Dito here, also waiting. Was actually planning on the big environments pack as well but decided to hold off a little. I am still struggling with performance problems as describe earlier as well as scaling the prefab. I read Efraser2007 feedback (very much appreciated). Once this new version is out I will pick this up again, would really like to start including the full weather inside the game so there is no retrofitting efforts later.....

3. tripknotix

tripknotix

I'm getting closer to releasing my game into a preview form (accounts are only available for kongregate, but i haven't released it yet)

http://realdefinition.net/zombieopsonline/

I'd like to be able to add the new 1.5 version in and i was just curious if youve got a ballpark, next week, next weekend, 2 weeks.

4. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but it wasn't listed in the feature list: is it possible to define some colliders as a "shelter" (for example: the roof of the houses) so it doesn't rain in the house even if it is raining outside?

5. BHS

BHS

UniStorm uses Global Fog, Bloom, and the Sun Shafts effects. As for the standard assets folder, this is a bug within Unity. You cannot rename any of the image effects, doing so will cause all the image effect to error. We have tried and the results have been the same. There are just too many dependent names within all the scripts.

A solution to all this is simple; you don't need image effects within the vegetation pack except for maybe the demo scene. What I would do is export the demo scene, or whatever you want that's within the pack, once you've exported this create a new project and import the Unity Package file you have created into it. When it has finished delete all the image effect folders or just the entire standard assets folder, I don't think the tree creator uses it. Once you are done export this scene again and make sure the image effects are not included with the import; since you deleted them form the project they shouldn't be. When finished, import the new tree pack into your project that's using UniStorm and you're done. You have all your assets and there are no complications with the image effects. We have used this in other similar situations and it has worked great. If you're having problems and you don't know how to fix them, I believe you can just re-import the image effects and this should also fix the problem.

Solution is above for the image effects. As for your performance issues, if our demo scene works fine, then it's something you are doing scaling wise. For the fix, I would recommend not scaling UniStorm and just scale the clouds; as they are the only thing that require scaling. I think you are scaling something that shouldn't be scaled and that's what's causing this problem. Please try what I said above and let me know if it fixes it.

We’re not exactly sure, but no more than a week. We have ran into an issue with the moon and rendering properly with the clouds because we are supporting Unity’s fog and Skyboxes. We have a solution, but it will take a couple days to get working flawlessly.

What do you mean by colliders? UniStorm’s rain has collision detection so, if it collides with any object that has a collider, it will be stopped. If you were to go into a house with a roof the rain would not go through it. We are adding slashes for when the rain collides as of version 1.5.

If you mean when the player changes scenes or a level, the fix is simple. You just disable the effects when the player hits a tag when they enter this certain room or collision. We have already written scripts for this a little while back. If you need them we will send them to or repost them.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Ok, I can't talk too much about this project because of a NDA, but I will try to explain myself a little better: I will have huge outdoors levels with several houses distributed around the scene. When the character enters a house, he will continue in the same scene, but the house roof should prevent the rain from entering in the house even if it continues raining outside. In addition, I would like to see the rain outside if I look through a window. Is that possible with the current version of your product?

7. BHS

BHS

Yes, this is possible with the current version of UniStorm. Depending on how big the houses are, you may need to increase the spread of the rain though. All you have to do is increase the elipsoid of the rain particle which takes a second to do.

8. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Thanks for your reply. According to your first post, your product will have all the features we need when it reaches the 1.6 release (I suppose you won't have an estimated release date yet, right?), so I will suggest my client to use your product instead of other competing products.

9. BHS

BHS

We will soon have a lot more time and will be working full force on UniStorm Version 1.6 soon after we release 1.5. As for a date I would say no more than a month for 1.6. We have a lot to accomplish with 1.6 some stuff never before seen in Unity so that's including development and coding time. Also, thanks hopefully you guys decide to go with us, I'm glad our system interests you.

10. shwa

shwa

I'm using Unistorm 1.4.

What value should i set to 'lightning strike odds' to for maximum chance of storm, thunder, lightning?
    Any other values i can set to add even more chance of this?

Flash Length. is this how many seconds lightning will flash for?
    e.g. a value of 2 is two seconds of lightning flashes?

what effect do Min Intesity and Max Intensity have?
    (the settings under Lightning Strike Odds).

For some reason, my daylight clouds have become quite dark.
    What are the different ways i can increase their brightness, without affecting the lighting of everything else in my scene?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  11. Legacy

Legacy

The pack im speaking of is the Big Environment Pack released by jacal, the pack uses extensive use of alot of the image effects to make the scenes look amazing, the issue is if i import unistorm into the same project and i include the standard assets that come with unistorm i get errors with one of the image effect scripts, now if i dont import the standard assets it works but it causes black skys when the system transitions from a regular sunny/cloud/night sky over to the storm sky, It seems like the image effects are of different versions or something because it should not throw an error about missing method stubs or properties if one image effect is imported over the same image effect already existing in the project if they are actually unmodified copies of the standard image effect scripts. I will try tonight the other way around, import unistorm first then try importing the environment pack and see if it causes problems that way.

Also there seems to be an issue with the rotation of the sun during daytime when used with a terrain using a normal map shader, if i position my own directional light to the right angle the normal maps look great theres alot of detail but when using the default sunlight that is used in unistorm the normal map detail is very faint because the angle on the light isnt at the correct angle(this is coming from messing around with directional lights and the Advanced Terrain Shaders 2 package on the asset store which is free.) Any way around this?

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. BHS

BHS

The settings aren't based on seconds, it's an algorithm that is uncalculated so the numbers are set from numbers between .01 and 1; which was covered in the documentation I believe.

The settings I would recommend would be:
    Flash Length at 0.72
    Lightning Strike Odds at .995
    Min Intensity at .5
    Max Intensity at .7

After you have entered the above, tweak the settings further. For more lighting flashes I would set the Lightning Strike Odds at .95 that will give you lightning flashes more often, but keep the lightning flashes quick enough that they will be realistic.

As for your clouds make sure that your clouds are using the vertexlit blended shader. There's no reason why your clouds should be dark if they're controlled by the sun light. All this will be fixed with 1.5 as we have written custom shaders for all each object in the sky making things blend and work much better. We are getting close so you guys won't have to wait too much longer.

I know the pack you're talking about. If the pack uses the same image effects that are the standard pro effects than I don't understand why there are errors. I'm not sure why you're having problems and I don't have the pack so I can't recreate your problem and try to fix it. I think it has to do with whatever standard assets folder is imported into the project. If it's imported after then it replaces the current one that is in the project you import it into. You can replace the image effects that make the scene look good can't you? I know this is a pain, but I don't think it's our pack because others have had this problem with combining projects with other pack.

The world's axis runs on quaternion rotations. It's somewhat complicated, but we will be researching a way to allow adjusting the angle of the sun while being controlled by quaternions. I don't know if it's possible to adjust the sun once it's locked in the quaternion rotations because this is what allows the sun to rotate continuously on a 360 degree axis without have having a "gimbal lock". We will figure out a way to make it adjustable though by the user though.

Edit: Actually I came up with a clever algorithm to fix this after doing some reading and researching, it's not adjustable, but it works and angles the moon and sun similar to Skyrim's so it's not directly overhead. We will include this in the 1.5 update as well as the old one, so if anyone doesn't want to use this algorithm they can just comment it out.

If you need it now though PM me and I will send the algorithm to you.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  13. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

I find that new algorithm very useful, but I think you should provide a checkbox (or an Enum) to allow the user select the desired algorithm in the inspector instead of asking your customers to comment part of your code out.

14. shwa

shwa

Tx for the info.

Will we have more control over random weather/forecasts in version 1.5?

I'd like to be able to set a weather playlist.
    That is either fixed, or allows me to control the range of randomness.

eg. Right now, when i start with clear skies in the forecast (7),
    it basically stays clear most of the time. (A day is 1400 )

I'd like to be able to set it, so after 2 real minutes (or every 3 or 4 minutes), a storm comes in for a minute, or for a random amount of time, but within a time range i can set. Same concept for other aspects of weather/environmental conditions. For me, this kind of control is important for the mood/feeling of what i'm working on. I imagine others would have use for this kind of thing in certain projects.

In the meantime, are their variables/settings in the code that can be tweaked in version 1.4 to do what i've just written?

thanks/

shwa

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  15. Legacy

Legacy

Thanks a ton i really love my normal maps haha they add quite alot of detail :)

16. roots

roots

Sorry to be raising this performance problem but I still not able to use this essentially. My FPS drops from 150-200fps to 100-110 fps (just deactivate the unistorm runtime).

I have a scene, drop in the unistorm prefab, added the player scripts and referenced them inside the unistorm master script. pretty vanilla, no scaling or other changes and still get this big hit on fps.

If i run the demo scene i run this scene at approx 80 fps but when i disable the unistorm master script this also jumps to 130fps for me.

What do other people have in the demo scene and toggle the unistorm master script (unistormsystem1.4)?

17. BHS

BHS

You’re right, this would be an easier way. We will try to implement a way to have checkbox options for the sun’s axis alignment.

I’m not sure if we will be able to modify our randomizing weather system to have set forecasts, but a simple way to do it would be to remove the weather randomizer. Once that is done you can make a function to change through each weather type by number every two minutes or so. I’m sorry I can’t be more help, but it is a dynamic weather system.

What we do to test things is enable the GUI slider and remove the weather randomizer so we just manually set each weather type in the editor so we can get an idea of every weather type at all times of day.

We’re you saying this for game creation or for actual game play? You can change the weather at any time.

I’m sorry but we still haven’t had anyone with performance issues. Being one of the main people who created it and coded it, it uses virtually nothing because of the way it’s designed. We have run multiple profiler tests and it confirms this. No one has had this issue as far as I know. You could wait till 1.5 comes out and see if this fixes your issue.

The fps in the editor are always jumping around so maybe it's coincidental? I tried exactly what you did and saw the same jumping fps and this is on a low to mid grade laptop. Whether it was disabled or enabled the frame rate was virtually the same. I do apologize for the issue, we will try and help get it running smoothly for you.

Could you post the specs of your computer?

18. roots

roots

Yes, so i decided to also postpone till the new version 1.5 and try fresh again. My laptop specs are Corei5 2.3 Ghz, 8 gig ram and basic intel on board graphics.

Will keep this thread monitored and once the version 1.5 is out will do a update and try again. thanks

19. Legacy

Legacy

any update on 1.5 reaching the asset store?

20. BHS

BHS

Yes, sorry we are trying to add some important updates and features that have been heavily requested and needed. It has taken a little bit longer than originally expected, but we have accomplished something that we have been trying to do for awhile.

We are done with UniStorm, all we need to do is update the documentation and we're done. We should be submitting 1.5 within the next day or two.

New Feature!
    The sun’s angle is now fully adjustable and controlled by the user’s input. This means the user can enter a number between -10 and 10, for the sun's angle in the editor, and UniStorm will follow this axis rotation.

Example: 0 would be directly overhead, 3 would be angled more to the right, -3 would be the same angle but opposite on the left, and 10 would be closer to the horizon. Every angle is covered within the algorithm, all you have to do is choose your number. This can all be done from within the editor and can be done in play mode so the user can get the exact angle that looks best for their game.

This opens up the opportunity for a future feature we would like to add which would allow the sun's angle to be changed based off the time of year. So, the sun in summer the sun would be more overhead than in winter or fall. The sun would have angles for each season. Of course this feature is still up in the air as we need to know who would be interested. Some users may like having full control over their sun.

We need some feedback on automatic sun adjustment based on seasons.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  21. virror

virror

Sun angle depending of season is something i have thought about myself and really want, but it needs to be adjustable somehow.
    A good idea might be to be able to set a min angle so the sun goes from top (summer) to min (winter), some ppl probably want dark winters and some more bright ones.
    Keep up the good work : D

22. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Now that we can adjust the angle of the sun, I would like to see (maybe in the 1.6 release) a method for calculating automatically the correct angle depending on the (virtual) date, longitude and latitude of the current scene. In addition, it would be nice if the days were longer on summer and shorter on winter, but the exact duration of the day should depend on the (virtual) latitude of the scene.

23. tripknotix

tripknotix

I have modified Unistorm 1.4 in several places to achieve a realistic look.

Larger Screenshot Here: http://realdefinition.net/zombieopsonline/ss2b.jpg

Larger Screenshot Here: http://realdefinition.net/zombieopsonline/ss1b.jpg

Play Here: http://realdefinition.net/zombieopsonline/

I want to help out the UniStorm community and since 1.5 is coming out, i will be moving to that system. So if anyone is interested in the changes i made, i can post the colors codes for everything, as well as a pastebin of each line of changes i made to the unistorm script, i cant distribute the whole file, but i can give you the individual lines of code and their line numbers, if anyone is interested.

Also note, the realistic shading of the clouds in the distance was thanks to the Post Global Fog shader's Height Scale property, which is not an available property in the upcoming 1.5 change to use the Unity Native Fog.

Will the option to use the Post Global Fog shader, instead of unity fog, be available?

I may make similar changes to 1.5, just in case 1.6 doesn't come out for a long time, but i wont know till i test 1.5 out to see if it includes similar looks.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  24. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Maybe you should send your changes to Black Horizon Studios and see if they want to include them in the official release, that way you won't need to reapply your changes each time a new UniStorm version is released. If your code is clean, integrates nice with their code and it is useful for their customers, I think they will accept your changes because it's a win-win situation.

I haven't worked with Black Horizon Studios before, so I may be wrong, but I have already submitted some code to several developers in these forums and my changes have been included in the "official release" of their products, so maybe you should write them a PM and see if Black Horizon Studios is interested in your changes.

25. tripknotix

tripknotix

I was sort of afraid it would encourage a longer delay in the release, the intention for me is to get the newest version of UniStorm in my game as soon as possible. so i can start releasing an alpha that looks competitive. After that i would release my changes, then they are more than welcome to distribute it with their package, in the future, i just don't want to encourage any more delays.

26. goat

goat

OK, thanks for that. I'll wait. It seems a given you should be able to easily support 90% of Android devices and all iPhone 3GS / iPod 2nd Gen (and newer) with little or minimal porting. If that is the case you should just merge it into your main package.

However, if you are going to support iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 1st Gen, and the probably vanishingly small number of arm6 / openGL ES 1.1 android devices then a Mobile package makes sense.

27. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Looking forward to the mobile version sooner than later...

28. BHS

BHS

These changes are nice, we already experimented using the global fog in the distance to simulate distance, but we decided to use it for the rain system. Maybe in a future patch or small update we can do what tripknotix did, it depends on what the majority of the customers want.

We just finished 1.5 so we will start working with UniStorm Mobile. We will let everyone know the details when we are further in development.

29. BHS

BHS

We're done with UniStorm Version 1.5 and it has been submitted to the Asset Store!

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  30. Gobla

Gobla

Nice that the update is released. How long does it usually take before it is available in the asset store?

31. BHS

BHS

Not sure the last few times the update got accepted within a few hours. It has been 2 and a half day since we submitted, so it should be soon. I'm not sure what the delay is for them accepting it though.

32. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

It's a long holiday weekend for the Americans, not sure if that affects any employee's at Unity or not. :)

33. BHS

BHS

UniStorm version 1.5 is now on the Asset Store.

We made one little mistake it will literally take 10 seconds to fix, the weather odds are very high because we were making a video and didn't want the storm interruptions. We were going to discuss this anyways..

Just go to the UniStormWeatherSystem script and go to line 157 and change:

weatherOdds = dayLength * 28000; to weatherOdds = dayLength * 28;

We also wanted to talk about this anyways since some of you want more weather changes and some of you want less weather changes. Simply adjust the number to something a little higher like 40 or 50 to have less weather changes and something like 15 or 20 if you want higher weather chance. We will add an in editor option to adjust this in a small update we will release in a few days.

Here's a list of all the 1.5 features and fixes:

UniStorm 1.5.0 Features and Updates:

• Added 18 Hi Res cloud textures

• Sun’s angle is now fully adjustable and controlled by the user’s input

• Added 3 more pages to the documentation on details about the new features

• Unity’s fog is now supported with UniStorm

• UniStorm uses and supports blended skybox skies, meaning the horizon and sky color are dynamic differing shades are you get closer to the horizon for each time of day.

• The shade of the sky and horizon can be adjusted by the user

• Sun light intensity control in the UniStorm editor

• Rain collisions now have splashes

• All allowing for even more realistic and dynamic looking skies so the sky isn't all on color

• Moon now uses a custom transparent diffuse shader rather than a particle shader. This allows for improved shading and proper collisions when rendering with the stars and clouds.

• Also included is a transparent bump specular moon shader to allow even more realistic moon shading and look.

• Skyboxes can be turned off if users do not wish to use them

UniStorm Version 1.5.0 Fixes:

• Fixed darkness in distant clouds

• Fix/Update Sun light intensity can now be control in the UniStorm editor

• Improved all shaders by custom writing each ones.

• Fixed Star system, Stars now look Hi Res and twinkle

• Fixed rain collisions, rain now has splashes

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  34. alfogator

alfogator

ah the joys of upgrading... nothing works anymore :(

35. BHS

BHS

Can you further explain? We removed the old 1.4 prefab to the new 1.5 one. Is your demo scene working because it should be. The update should just make the changes exactly as we did. If we did have any problems, neither should you.

36. alfogator

alfogator

I deleted everything and reimported again and now the demo scene works.
    Every component went to "missing script" status, no idea why.

37. BHS

BHS

That's weird every script is the same just updated. We did the same thing with the other updates and there were no problems. Well good to hear it's working.

Please let us know what you guys think of UniStorm Version 1.5.

38. roots

roots

same thing happened to me regarding the 1.5 update.

Not sure if you remember but i am trying to make this to work on a larger terrain e.g. 5000x5000 but am not able to scale this stuff properly. I think the recommendation was to just scale the clouds out but my results look pretty horrible. I followed the steps as in the online tutorial thread but maybe someone who knows unistorm a little better validate the steps for me to make this look proper on a ;larger terrain.

steps:
    - create a 5000x5000 terrain (import a simple heightmap or so)
    - add a 3rd person
    - add unistorm (link scripts to player and set camera)
    - make unistorm cover the entire island (so not follow the player around - only for the rain effects)
    - scale clouds so they look good

then i need to still add in multiplayer so all players get the same weather?!

Would really appreciate it if someone can add some guidance on what to do here besides the steps listed above.....

39. mcfetrmatt

mcfetrmatt

Hi there,

I am very interested in Unistorm but I have a few questions (sorry if this is not where I am supposed to put them or if they have been answered before):

If I brought Unistorm 1.5 would I have to buy version 1.6 when it comes out or do you just pay for it once? And do you do student prices? As I will just be using this for studies.

Thanks
    This package looks AMAZING!

40. BHS

BHS

There's a certain technique to adjusting the clouds. I'll make you a small tutorial for adjusting the system for a bigger terrain. As for the online setup it's covered in the documentation. If you still can't get it to work maybe someone on here can help you out. Everything else you need is covered in the documentation under getting started.

Thank you and I'm glad you're interested. Once you buy UniStorm you get all the updates for free. There is no student price, UniStorm is already half the cost of the other systems. By studies, what exactly do you mean, purely for school studies (is fine), or studies as in reverse engineering so you can make you own system, because you wouldn't be aloud to do that. Not that I'm saying you are, just trying to clarify.

41. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I would also be interested in any tips you could provide when working with large terrains. I haven't integrated UniStorm into my project yet...but I will be testing it soon.

42. roots

roots

ok, well for now i am stumbling my way through this, a lot of trial and error scaling different layers of the clouds essentially, right?

I did run into another small visual thing. the tint color set in the MorningToMidday material seems too hard blue to me, but i noticed that this color is changed runtime, is there a control for this tint?

43. mcfetrmatt

mcfetrmatt

That's good to hear about the updates! No, by studies I mean university studies. I do architecture and am interested in this for visualisation.

Thanks
    Matthew

44. shwa

shwa

Congrats on the 1.5 release!

I'll be checking it out for my next project.

As per weatherOdds: script change. Will this change work in 1.4?
    (I think it's line 135 in v1.4)

If yes:

For experimental purposes what is the entire numerical range we can work with?

You recommend 28 :

40 to 50 for less weather changes.
    15 - 20 for more weather changes.

If one wants maximum chance of weather change, does setting it to 1, or, 0, or negative 10, or negative 300 or negative 28,000, get that max chance?

Does one's initial weather forecaster setting in the inspector have any affect on this?
    e.g. if one chooses 7, clear sky,
    or 3, rain/storm?

You mentioned you had it at 28,000 to make sure no storms happen for your video shoot.
    In V1.4, If one's weather forecaster is set to 7 (clear sky), and this number is 28,000, then will one always have a clear sky?
    Same question, if forecaster is set to 3 (storm), number is 28,000, will it always be raining/stormy?

Thanks!

shwa

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  45. shwa

shwa

in v1.4 in the UnistormWeatherSystem script:

at line 135 to 137:

weatherOdds = dayLength * 10; //Set at 25, which needs to be 20ish, setting higher for video
    random = Random.Range(0,weatherOdds);
    random2 = Random.Range(1,weatherOdds);

Is there a straightforward way to understand how these 3 lines are affecting how often weather is changing or what the odds are of weather changing?

Can one simply put in numbers, so one has more precise control over the potential frequency of weather change?

e.g.

weatherOdds = 10 (or whatever # reflects how frequent or infrequently you want the weather to change.)
    random = Random.Range(0,weatherOdds);
    random2 = Random.Range(1,weatherOdds);

It's very possible I don't know what i'm talking about here.

shwa

46. artician

artician

Hi,

I just purchased your UniStorm plugin today, and I am enjoying working with it.

I wanted to give you a heads up though on Moon Phases. When the moon is new or crescent, it shouldn't be transparent. Moons do not work like this. :) It should still be a full circle, and only shaded dark where the shadow of the earth is casting on its surface.

Thanks for the nicely-priced and well-designed tool! :)

47. proso

proso

UniStorm looks like a great asset. Is there a demo available?

48. BHS

BHS

Sorry, there is no demo, we have plenty of videos though. Demos tend to get ripped or hacked of their assets.

49. alfogator

alfogator

After using 1.5 for a day I can say it's gorgeous, really love the new features!

I'd like to point out two things:

I'm using it for mobile (iOS) and there are some syntax errors in the source files. Nothing big but still it would be nice if they weren't there :)

The moon has a directional light that as far as I could tell by looking at the code is not controlled by anything and is always on. This causes a massive jump in draw calls (in my case it jumps from around 100 without it to over 200). I suppose it's there to provide some light at night, given that the sun light goes to zero at night (but remains active). Maybe the code could disable the sun light at night and the moon light in daylight? Or is there another solution?

50. artician

artician

I've never heard of such a thing. Really? Doesn't that imply that anything published in Unity can be stripped of its assets? As someone who publishes his work on the web, and uses Unity to showcase my professional work, (which is almost always the property of past employers, some other large company or developer), I would really appreciate more information on this.

Sorry it's off-topic for the thread, but that's quite an alarming claim.