Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

One final thought, given that you support both free and pro versions of Unity, make sure that the tutorials cover the setting up of both versions.

2. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

OK I have a smooth transtion between storm and non-storm.. that was actually easy, but theres still a "snap" in the lighting at dusk to night and night to morning currently which I haven't cracked yet.

Watching the code, it seems that theres a value that counts up and down during the day... I think it counts up for x hours and then counts back down again... it's interesting because the system actually doesn't transition from Day to Dusk to Night as you would expect.. it actually transitions Day to Dusk to Morning to Night and then comes back the other way.. both Morning and Dusk happen each end of the day, and I think that's the issue on the snap in the lighting between Dusk and Night and Night and Morning.

The Dusk to Night snap is at 20 hours, so I'll keep looking at that, again, I think its a swift change from one lighting regimen rather than a fade..

As I say, the Daylight to Stormlight transition and vice versa was pretty easy to solve but it did make the snap at end of day more obvious but it's not as a result of the change I made. It's like a gain some loose some thingy:)

Interestingly, if theres a storm running at the transition of Dusk to Night, then there is no obvious snap because the storm lighting is that much darker.

Regards

Moria

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. BHS

BHS

I don't know why some people are having instantaneous light snapping at certain times because we have never had that problem in tests. Can you guys further explain. This occurs in the morning or evening? The time of day controller controls the light to change within two hours before fully transitioning. So 6 to 8 would be morning, the light will slowly transition from night to morning. The daylength shouldn't affect this either.

If you have altered some of the time of day transitions this could be why, have any of you? When we submitted UniStorm to the Asset Store everything transitioned fine and tested a simulated year to make sure. There were no problems whatsoever. So I don't know why this could be happening.

Or are you guys saying that the light transition when the storm turns on and off? That is because there is no way to fade the light intensity because it is controlled with another lerp function, which locks the lights intensity to that lerp function. That's why we have the storm light, you can try to match the sun light intensity with the storm light intensity so when they switch it's not as noticeable.

As for the rain on screen effect we might just remove it as it causes more problems than it's worth and most of you don't even use it. Is this okay with you guys?

We will work on making a nice video tutorial, but there's not much else we can explain with the documentation other than what it's for. Like the rain slot is where the rain game object goes, all the color slots are for adjusting the named color for the system. I think once we release the tutorial you guys will understand everything much better. We will also explain what each thing does. A good way to understand the system is to use it and understand it like some of you have already done, but we can make that process a lot easier and faster by making the video tutorial. We will update the documentation the best we can.

@tripknotix That is because the project you imported has the standard assets image effects somewhere else than the original directory. Create a standard assets folder outside of all the folders and make sure you put the Image Effects (BHS) in it. Make sure you have the image refraction effects script in there too.

4. BHS

BHS

Double post

5. RayWolf

RayWolf

weird things are happening her^^ I have no clue what I did wrong, was so carefull about changing just one value after another and so on^^. Today during runtime all my clouds plopped away...after thta my sky was free of clouds and just cyan/blue lol. I restartet unity and so the project and all was fine again. I think I did something wrogn..Im just telling the cloud-are-gone-thingy in case someone has same prob.

The jumps in Lighting ..I saw it with daylenght 360 and 720...dont know if that helps^^. Im running at 1440 now and what shall I say...after 1 hour carefull watching I noticed it 2 times...Maybe I missed other jumps coz of work (wrote alot emails and chat and so on) or the 1440 value produces much less jumps... not sure^^

Except daylenght I did not changed any further setting for this light jump test.

6. CodeAssembler

CodeAssembler

Just though I should mention it in case you have not though on it yet, but a friend of mine faced the same problem (the many calls to the driver when rendering particles, specially on iOS because of the particle transparency limitations and stuff) and what he did was that he coded a shader, then made a scene that took the particles systems he wanted to draw and combined them as a small movie. Then with the shader, he invoked the 'movie texture' and that decreased the calls dramatically (in our case) we upped from like 70fps to like 120fps, just because of that.

I hope somehow this could help. By the way, your product looks great and reasonable pricing too.

7. BHS

BHS

Edit: Fixed the light jumping issue for some reason we made a little error in the interpolations, but it's fixed now thanks for the info.

@RayWolf Well when all the clouds disappear that is a clear day, discussed this early in the thread. There is no way to actually fade the clouds away because there are no alpha values in the vertex lit cloud shader. If you don't want a clear day in the forecast you can easily comment it out in lines 819-968 in the UniStorm Weather System script. If you want to have less clouds seen on a partly cloud day, just disable some of them. As for the jumping in light, we're looking into it right now. Are you adjusting the light while you're in play mode? That could also be why.

@CodeAssembler Thanks for that will look into it. Doesn't that require pro because it uses render to texture?

8. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Wonderful to hear:) thanks.. looking forward to getting the update.

As I said earlier, am very impressed with this as to preserving the framerate in my scene.

Moving it to a third person perspective was pretty simple, it was just getting the right aspects associated with the camera to ensure those aspects all stayed centered on the camera.

When the update is in, then I get to play with opening the values from the timekeeping and forecasting across the network to keep all my clients in synch from the server instead of each client driving their own version.

Thanks for this.

Moria

9. CodeAssembler

CodeAssembler

No because the shader was custom made for the case. It was a tad tricky I admit my friend is very good at coding low level stuff. Hum... maybe I can ask him if he is interested in cooperating... I will try and let you know. After all if his stuff not mine.

And sure, no problem. The Unity community in general is really helpful and we like that spirit for sure.

10. aspide

aspide

Instead of others I like very much the rain on the camera effect so, please, don't remove it or place a boolean for using it or not.

11. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

Yeah, I would say, keep the drop in the camera effect but I would suggest you can update yout system so we can remove it or like a simple post effect script, the tech is there and work well its just not pretty yet. a nicer normal can make it look awesome. for those who dont want it, just modify the texture and put none. no asserts no crash nothing.

but to come back on the popping cloud, sometimes, you look at the sky and the clouds start to disapear but not fade.. strictly disapear. to give a clear sky.. if you play with the weather forcast number thing, 4 to 6, you'll see the clood apear and disapear

12. RayWolf

RayWolf

@Black Horizon:
    okay, the clear sky thingy was already discussed, sry missed that! But that explains it and thanx for showing how to turn clear sky of in code!! And Im looking foreward for the new version and the light transition there. Its a wonderful package for me already tho!

There is a good chance I changed Lights during playtime accidently (several times^^). New Monitor-Setup here (3 instead of 2) and Im not used to it..always searching the damn mouse cursor here lol. So I miss-clicked alot last week, pressing buttons in windows which are still active but not the ones I was actually looking at ;)! So yeah, this could be a reason.

13. Legacy

Legacy

Hmmm got the system to import right but now any scene i add the prefab too and set it to stormy forcast the sky goes black, also all times of the day i see the sun/moon glow thingy in the sky and it gets cut off on the sides and makes the sky look odd. Theres also this really weird circle around the character here are some pics. Also i cannot see lightning, when i imported to a fresh project the lightning turned the whole terrain light blue when it went off o_O.

http://legacyonlineentertainment.com/wth.png

http://legacyonlineentertainment.com/wth2.png

14. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 I don't know why you always seem to have the problems, but no worries I think I know what's causing them. When we originally packaged UniStorm 1.4 we had certain things activated and deactivated; these were extra things and the extra assets you guys mentioned. We didn't think that Unity would reactivate everything we deactivated, which we fixed in 1.4.1 the new update we will be releasing within the next day. The blue thing you are seeing was to test a sunrise and sunset test we were working on, we didn't think it would cause much harm leaving it in if we deactivate it, but since it's activated it looks weird and ugly. Simply go to the sun_moon/WorldAxis/WorldAxis/Sun within the hierarchy and delete the SunSetRise game object. This will get rid of the ugly blue thing in the sky.

The darkness in the sky is the storm cloud material, I guess on your computer it looks much darker than ours did. So, make it brighter by going to the clouds drop down in the hierarchy and going to stormclouds. Once you click the game object you will see it's material. Set the material color to a brighter grey or until you get the shade that looks best and isn't too dark. If this doesn't fix the problem than it could be the cloudsheavy game object, just do the same as I explained above.

The circle thing you see around your player is the rain mist, if you don't like it just deactivate it and it won't appear during a storm. Any features you don't like you can deactivate and they will not be used in the forecast. That's why we used render activate so you guys would have this feature.

Hope this helps, if you have any other problems let us know.

We will be releasing 1.4.1 soon, but we're trying not to rush things. It should be submitted within the next day or so.

15. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

@Black Horizon Studios I asked 3 questions during the 2-3 past days, could you please give an answer? thanks

16. Legacy

Legacy

k the odd sky thing is gone but no matter what i do the sky is black. the sky works fine in your demo scene but all i did was drag the prefab into the scene and position it. Also the lightning still doesnt seem to work.

17. tripknotix

tripknotix

i keep having an issue with your demo scene, where the scene freezes for several seconds before giving you control back, its weird because the profiler shows everythign is still active, you can hear sounds working as normal, but the visual does not change at all.

the only change i made was length of day to 144 , instead of 1440

18. tripknotix

tripknotix

i keep having an issue with your demo scene, where the scene freezes for several seconds before giving you control back, its weird because the profiler shows everythign is still active, you can hear sounds working as normal, but the visual does not change at all.

it appears to happen right when the lighting changes, in your demo scene

19. tripknotix

tripknotix

it appears to happen right when the lighting changes, in your demo scene.

also you say "Starting hour option to choose you starting hour.(New)"

i only see, "starting time" as a number like 0.413

20. tripknotix

tripknotix

it appears to happen right when the lighting changes, in your demo scene.

the cpu usage looks normal, its as if the camera is frozen but everything is rendering still. but no update to camera or anything visually.

it also happens when the rain starts.

21. RayWolf

RayWolf

Sometimes I think, people dont look at any exampe or demo scenes ;) just drag and complain *g*. Anyway maybe there is a point in this ;)!

22. BHS

BHS

Hm for some reason I can't see any comments within the last 12 hours, can you guys repost them? Or did the info I gave you fix your problem?

23. Legacy

Legacy

hmm my post doesnt seem to have shown up thats odd. The sky is still black no matter what i do, the wierd thing in the sky is gone now which is good. The lightning still doesnt show up and what is really odd is that your demo scene works perfect, all i did was drag in your prefab and turn off the sunrise object and change the forcast to 3 for stormy.

24. Jolon

Jolon

So it looks quite interesting, but I'm wondering about the packaging.

It seems like quite a lot of your files live in the standard project folders and replace standard assets.

Is this necessary for functionality, or would there be anyway for it to live within it's own folder within the project for good housekeeping?

There may be a good reason for the way your files are imported, just curious, this has kept me from purchasing and trying it out.

25. Jolon

Jolon

So it looks quite interesting, but I'm wondering about the packaging.

It seems like quite a lot of your files live in the standard project folders and replace standard assets.

Is this necessary for functionality, or would there be anyway for it to live within it's own folder within the project for good housekeeping?

There may be a good reason for the way your files are imported, just curious, this has kept me from purchasing and trying it out.

26. Jolon

Jolon

Hi. A video tutorial would be great supplemental documentation, but really what is needed is written documentation with screenshots and easily copied code as needed.

It's really not that hard! I know what scares most people off from documenting is they feel like it takes the creativity out of the work, but it's totally the opposite. And I guarantee you will improve the assets code as you move through it to document.

Going forward, the smartest thing would be to document before coding, and fill in the blanks, or both at once, but following up coding with documentation is exponentially more painful than doing so before and during.

But finally and most importantly -- video tutorials are great to demonstrate ways to use a program like unity3d in general, but definitely do not work as documentation for complicated plugins. Just map out your thought process, and put it in words. Using video will result in more annoying customer feedback as folks try to navigate.

I love what I see from the videos, but am waiting for docs and a folder structure that won't destroy my current projects, so as soon as I see those, sign me up!

If you were just using them in a game, I wouldn't even advise to document and structure it properly if it didn't have ROI, but the product is not a game, but the assets, scripts, and a way to easily implement, so work towards that, and happy customers are the result.

Great work though, the results are absolutely fantastic from the videos.

27. Legacy

Legacy

so i have figured out that my issue is related to having exponential fog turned on and having a skybox set. i set the settings to linear fog and the same distances set from the demo scene and deleted the skybox. All is well now and im very impressed. My only issue is like others im having that popping light when it switches from say a sunny day to stormy or to night the light pops to the next light instead of gradually changing.

28. BHS

BHS

@Efraser Great, happy to hear it's working. And thanks glad you like it. Yes, the gradual transitions has been fixed and will be in the update 1.4.1. We will hopefully submit it tomorrow.

29. EarthLaunch

EarthLaunch

On the edge of my seat for that update :) I purchased during this whole transition/discussion because it's clear you're going to get it working smoothly. Thanks.

30. aspide

aspide

I simply asked not to remove the raindrops on camera effect. I think it's beautiful. May you add some boolean to activate it or not instead of simply removing it ?

31. BHS

BHS

@EarthLaunch We're going to try to release it today, hopefully.

@Aspide I'm not sure if we can keep it because I think this is what's causing some problems. Unity changed the way the refraction shader was written so we're gonna have to rewrite some things, which we don't have time for for the 1.4.1 update. This is also the reason why we have to include the standard assets folder that a lot of you didn't like. We'll go back to the drawing board and hopefully have it out by the next small update. This will also allow for a lot cleaner packaging and no more missing "ImageRefractionEffect" errors.

32. BHS

BHS

Version 1.4.1 has been submitted.

Sorry, but we did have to remove the rain on screen effect. If you wish to have it you can un-comment the parts we commented and add the proper scripts back in. We will have it back soon and working properly. This eliminates the "ImamgeRefractionEffect" error and also you don't have to have the standard assets folder tied up with having it in the original directory of outside all the other folders; that's a good thing.

UniStorm 1.4.1 Fixes/Updates:

• Updated the documentation with a detailed tutorial on setting up for both 3rd Person and First Person.

• Updated the UniStorm prefab so you get the exact quality of the demo scene wherever you place it.

• Couple tweaks to the system making it a little better and slightly more efficient, without changing anything to the system itself.

• Removed unused assets

• Fixed the time of day light transitions, they now transition gradually

• Fixed the oval sun issue

• Fixed organization, UniStorm is now very organized with separate folders.

• Fixed night time in the editor, the editor is now bright enough so you can see and edit everything.

• Fixed the rain on screen effect that caused errors, Unity 3.5 change the shader, we will add it back to the system soon.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  33. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I look forward to working with the new changes. Thanks for your continued support!

34. BHS

BHS

@jc_lvngstn You're welcome.

Whoa, that was fast, UniStorm 1.4.1 has been accepted and is now live. Please let us know if things are better, we want to improve UniStorm the best we can.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  35. sonicviz

sonicviz

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but...

Import 1.4.1 into an empty project it works fine ..yay! Looks great. But that's not very useful by itself.

Import into a project with lots of assets, including standard assets and it screws up all sorts of things.
    Seems to be related to overwriting of Standard Assets/Image Effects (pro only) because if I delete the Unistorm folder and reimport the Image Effects we are back to normal.

Can't you do this package so it is independent of other assets and the risk of overwriting them and other reliant project settings?

36. BHS

BHS

@sonicvic Why is it overwriting the standard assets? You don't even need that folder except for the image effects. Try exporting the demo scene and importing the unity package file into the scene you want it in. This should work.

I have no idea why it's overwriting things, it must be something with unity. We have to send the project with the pro effects like with most unity project so why is ours having this issue? I'll have to look into it. Maybe this is only you, we'll have to see if anyone else does. Sorry for the inconvince.

37. sonicviz

sonicviz

I think it's ye olde Unity asset Guid issue. I have a similar problem with Micheal O's landscape 2 and an anti aliasing filter. Loses one of the shaders if importing into a project with standard assets. This is a tricky one when dealing with multiple packages and a real pita to sort out.
    You can see on the import list if it's placing it in the sub folder of your asset or into a top level standard asset folder.

Let me play around with some empty projects and see.

Ty for the update!

38. sonicviz

sonicviz

How do I control the light level of Sun-Moon? It seems no matter what I set it at before playing, when I hit play it jumps to .9+ and is under script control which is way to bright for what I want. Is there a global light control somewhere or do I have dig into the code?

ty.

39. Legacy

Legacy

Hey is there any way to get rid of these black clouds in the distance? and no the horizon fade wont work as its not controlled at all it stays static so if it gets dark it stays the same color as you set it to.

http://legacyonlineentertainment.com/odd.png

40. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 Hmm that's weird it's usually not that dark, it's supposed to just slightly be darker. This is because the clouds in the cloud dome are vertex lit. So, if the sun is at a certain angle it shades them, which should look good, but your's too dark. You can try changing the cloud color to a brighter shade of grey which should fix it, if that's not what you want then I can rewrite UniStorm weather script and add the horizon fade to transition with the time of day.

Come to think of it that's a good idea, does this sound like something you'd like? (Or anyone else) Might as well implement it into the next update as an optional feature which you can disable if you don't want.

@sonicviz Yes, the sun and moon are script controlled through interpolations. This is what allows the time of day to transition gradually like you guys wanted. That's why we have the option of choosing the sun and moon color. Adjusting the color gives you the same control over the brightness you just have to set it to a darker shade of your desired color. The reason it is too bright for you is because of the gamma differences on computers. If we had set it to a brightness which looked good on your computer it would most likely be too dark on our computer. However, if you'd like to adjust the sun's or moon's intensity, which can only be done through script, I can tell you how and it's only 1 line and changing one number. Just let us know.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  41. sonicviz

sonicviz

Yes, please. to both!

42. Legacy

Legacy

would def appreciate it :), also i still have light snapping when it switches to a storm o_O. I also am wondering what happened to the rain splashes o_O

43. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 Ok, rewriting script takes a little time so we'll try to have it ready for you tomorrow sometime. The light snapping at storms is hard to fix because our lights are controlled with lerp functions so they can't have a second function calling or adjusting them. A work around this is covered in documentation. Under Smoother Transitions from Stormy to None Stormy this will cover both transitions, hope it helps. And about the rain splashes, our mistake, we will send you them in a unity package file if you want, or include them in the next small update.

@sonicviz Don't have time at the moment, but we will help you out in a bit.

44. sonicviz

sonicviz

Can't you set this up to be controlled via the main script, as an initial value. Would make things easier to tweak I think.

45. aspide

aspide

Since I'm one of the lucky users who didn't experiment problems I couldn't fix and since I like the raindrops effect I think I will stay with the 1.4 until you will release the next version :) Thanks anyway Black Horizon !

46. Legacy

Legacy

Whatever you think is best is fine with me, i was trying to put together a preview video of the game im building and thought the splashes would add a nice effect to make it look more realistic.

47. RayWolf

RayWolf

from the 1.4.1 changelog: "Fixed night time in the editor, the editor is now bright enough so you can see and edit everything."

THANK YOU :D! I wasnt sure why it so damn dark here in the editor, now I know lol. yeah...sometimes waiting is more better than experimentin for m ;)! great fix!

48. roots

roots

Hi all,

Seems like this thread is main forum on the Unistorm asset package. I am currently trying to get version 1.4.1 working in my game (unity 3.5). Followed all the steps in the documentation but seems there are a few hickups, maybe some other people on thread have had simialr issues. Running the demo scene provided with the assett works totally fine, all effects etc. so it ust be something on my side.

The two main issues right now are:
    - no rain
    - no cloud animation
    - general lighting issues (my terrain is very bright)
    - no sound effects

I can see some lighting and the weather forecast does seem to be working generally.

I have my own 3rd person player prefab that i instantiate runtime, i added the effects to it like (mist, fog, rain) as per documentation but i can't see any of these during the game. Has anyone done this as well and got this working e.g. rain effects?

The terrain is lit up very brightly and i am not sure what is the appropiate place to change this would be, there are so many color settings, intensity scripts etc. Also i am suffering from the dakr clouds around the edges syndrome that was mentioned by someone else earlier in this thread. All this seems to be fixable by adjusting some light settings. Anyone know what/where exactly?

Maybe someone can post the (detailed) steps they went through to get this integrated into their scene/game.

Thanks,
    Dan

49. Legacy

Legacy

The issue is that the reference to rain object etc needs to be set on the unistorm system before runtime you cannot set it after trust me i ran into that issue myself, i have a custom zone engine i built and it loads the area the player is in. I had unistorm setup on the zone rather than in the root scene and i had the same problems including black skies. Wondering if this is something that can be changed since i cant seem to change anything at runtime other than the forcast.

50. roots

roots

Thanks, sounds like a similar game design you use, hmm ok. So if i:
    a) put the unistorm in the root scene (which it already is) and
    b) have my local player instantiated design time
    these problem would go away? I can work around those constraints,

Did you ever get this to work then in the flow you described or?