Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

I've done exactly like the wiki says I do not have any cameras in my scene at all since I removed the unistorm prefab and reintalled uinstorm however I am still getting:

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(3673,55): error CS1061: Type `GlobalFog' does not contain a definition for `heightDensity' and no extension method `heightDensity' of type `GlobalFog' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I even reinstalled the Unity5 Visual Effects. Any ideas?

2. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the info. We'll get the UniStorm Wiki updated.

You need to make sure you're using the C# version of Global Fog and that its applied to the camera that's using UniStorm. Right now, it sounds like you are using the JS version.

3. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

rainstreaks.jpg I am getting that error with no Unistorm prefabs in my scene at all though just in my libarary

*update*

I fixed this when i reinstalled my visual effects. I went back in to edit the globalfof.cs file. when i went to save the file it gave me the option to convert which I did and error is now gone However this is what happens when I run the game and cause rain. this picture is of the rain streaks.The Rainstreaks material is missing and I am not sure which material to apply

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Just figured out how to reference successfully in text! Now I have a bar that shows the current temp. Not much, but it's a start.

Unrelated: I've noticed that when the sun moves out of the camera view I'm not getting any bloom. Is this something that can be adjusted? If so, is it in UniStorm or Unity? I'm not referring to when the sun's behind one's back, but when it's just above the view of the camera.

5. BHS

BHS

Strange, if you got UniStorm from the Asset Store, I'm not sure how you'd be missing textures. Try reimporting, it could be an import issue, from the Asset Store.

It looks like you're missing the rain streaks texture. Make sure it's applied to your rain streaks material.

Great to hear. You can access all sorts of variables to allow for awesome features.

I think you might be mistaking the a Sun Shafts for Bloom. The bloom should work at all times of day. I think what you're seeing is the Sun Shafts because they are directly affected by the sun.

6. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

I checked my asset store and in the files that it lists in the asset store there is no Rain Streak Material I have a texture image but nothing else.

if you could supply the material I could get it back into my scene and export the package file incase I need it again

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  7. BHS

BHS

The material is called MistCloud and the texture is called DustPoof. Make sure they are properly assigned.

They shouldn't be missing. I tested an import just now with no issues.

8. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

ok I didn't know you were using the mistcloud for the rain streaks I can fix that then no problem once I get home. thank you again.

9. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Yeah, most of my work was trying to figure out how to display a variable from a script as text, rather than an issue with Unistorm. Next I'm trying to figure out how to initialize a counter for when a certain weather type, like light rain, is started (again, not really an issue with Unistorm but the coding that references it), so I can create a...variable I suppose that applies this to a plant's growth.

As for the Sun shafts, it's possible I suppose, though the effect is more of a bloom, rather that the shafts (unless I'm misunderstanding something, the shafts appear when the sun is behind-but-close-to-the-edge-of an in-game object). Here are a couple of pictures that illustrate the issue:
    Unity 2015-05-22 17-14-08-97.jpg Unity 2015-05-22 19-08-25-17.jpg

As can be seen, the effect, whatever it is, disappears BEFORE the edge of the camera (and in the first pic, leaves the sun's shape visible). Could this be a camera issue? Or is it with the shafts or whatever themselves?

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  10. BHS

BHS

You're using the free SpeedTree, correct?

It looks like it could be the shader SpeedTree uses.

Also, I would recommend using the Ambient light type under Windows>Lighting. It looks like you're using Skybox which tends to be too dark.

11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Actually I'm just using various trees from the basic Unity and various assets I have as placeholders, generated with TerrainComposer. I actually didn't even know there was a free version of Speedtree available.

But from what you're saying it sounds like it's unrelated to Unistorm?

As for the lighting, I don't want there to be any "ambient" lighting, or very very little, so basically a night without the moon out (or rather, before the moon "rises" or possibly with moon intensity turned very low) would very extremely difficult to see in. I hadn't gotten the lighting nailed down completely, but it seemed like Skybox gave...less artificial results.

12. BHS

BHS

It sounds like it is. I haven't experienced this myself.

I know the lighting tends to be darker when using Skybox, even if I'm not using UniStorm. If it's too dark during the night, make the night ambient light brighter. Ambient light is nice because it allows you to have a changeable color. UniStorm has an option of color for time of day. Our customers tend to prefer ambient.

Ambient tends to look better. You can also adjust the terrain shader in the terrain options if you don't like the way Unity 5 shades the terrain.

13. Prosperro

Prosperro

I don't understand this answer. I'm having the same error. I have nothing in my scene. NO CAMERA. So if I dont have a camera in my scene and nothing but terrain and a light how do put the C# fog on a camera that isn't there. I'm prety new to unity so sorry if this is an obvious thing.

14. DeepShader

DeepShader

Is there PlayMaker support? :)

15. BHS

BHS

Well, how can you have a controllable player, or see if you don't have a camera in your scene?

Every scene needs a camera in order to show what's going on in play mode.

We're going to need more info to help you. We need to know the details of your scene and why you don't have a camera. Is your camera created on start?

UniStorm needs some type of camera with the Global Fog and Sun Shaft image effects on it. If your camera is created on start, make sure your camera prefab has the 2 image effects as stated above. You also need to make sure you have the particles effects properly attached to UniStorm.

With UniStorm 1.8.5, we will have an option to have a player created on start. Until then, we have a script example of how to do some on our wiki site. However, this needs to be updated. So, I will be updating it within the next few hours.

Like I have stated before, I'm not really sure I understand your question. I'm just assuming you're creating your camera on start.

We will need more info about your scene and setup before we can get things started.

We have never tested this outselves but I think some of our customers use PlayMaker with UniStorm.

We do have a Wiki site that has tons of example code, code references, tutorials, and more to help you get the most out of UniStorm. We have example code to do stuff like get the current temperature, time, weather, and more.

We're also here to help if you ever need help with scripting with UniStorm.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  16. DeepShader

DeepShader

So there are no plans for PlayMaker Support? :(

Another question:
    What are the benefits of the mobile version, if I bought the normal version?

17. BHS

BHS

We plan on supporting PlayMaker with a future version of UniStorm.

The mobile version has been rewritten to be very efficient on mobile devices. The desktop version is made to preform on desktops. However, both systems will run very fast on older generations devices (UniStorm Mobile) and computers (UniStorm Desktop).

18. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ok, so the Desktop version will not run smooth on a mobile device?

If the answer is yes: Is it complicated to build a mobile version from a desktop-game? I mean I've to remove UniStorm Desktop and replace it with the mobile version for this step or is it possible to import both into one project and on desktop the desktop-version is running and on mobile the mobile-version?

19. Prosperro

Prosperro

I have a camera in my project folders but start a blank new scene. Nothing in my scene window. I download Unistorm and immediately get the error.

20. radimoto

radimoto

I thought UniStorm Mobile was supposed to be merged into UniStorm as a single product? Is this still on the roadmap and if so what timeframe are we looking at? Thanks

21. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

I'm not sure if you already covered this or not. Do you have a way to make unistorm adjust the Temperature based of height for example in my game I have a large mountain chain. I want it to snow when you get higherup the hills into the mountain but to only rain when you are down in the valley. Is there anything built in for that?

22. BHS

BHS

You need to open up the UniStorm demo scene. There you will find the player. Get its camera and open up the script and follow this tutorial here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...sing_directive_or_an_assembly_reference.3F.29

It's a very simple fix and is only caused by Unity not making Global Fog publicly visible.

Yes, this is entirely possible by modifying the temperature variable with an external script. You can then have a threshold based on the y position of your character. Once the y threshold is met you can increase the current temperature. For example, one degree per five y position units.

This way if the player gets high enough it will eventually be cold enough for snow. Dynamic weather will still be working so when precipitation happens, it will snow instead of rain. The same concept applies going down in elevation, but decreasing the temperature the same way.

If it is snowing while the transition to above freezing is happening, the precipitation will turn to snow.

Here's an example of accessing the temperature:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#Temperature

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  23. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks. I'll mess around with the camera a bit, see if I can get that figured out.

I'm not really worried about night being too bright, I'm more worried about it not being bright enough. But I'll try ambient and see how that works out for me. Thanks for the tips.

Unrelated: The sun shafts you were mentioning look gorgeous. Just seeing the sun rise over a mountain and "behind" a tree, looked amazing.

24. Kinukin

Kinukin

I'm having some issues trying to implement this into my project! Everytime I try and import UniStorm into my project, I get different errors every time!

I'm using Unity 5 Personal Edition. Please help me!

25. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

can you provide an example of the errors?

26. Kinukin

Kinukin

Sometimes, the UniStormSystemEditor is completely blank.

Sometimes, there are some class references missing but they aren't.

And sometimes I get a NullReferenceException.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.FadeOutPrecipitation () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:3177)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.WeatherForecaster () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:2309)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.Update () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1220)

It's complete random errors everytime.

But when I import UniStorm into a complete new project, no errors seem to be happening.

27. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

looks very much like Unity botched the import somehow. can you import it into a blank project ok?

28. Kinukin

Kinukin

Yes, importing it into a blank project is fine and working. Just my project isn't working as well.

29. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

it has to be something in your project.
    without knowing what's in your project it would be very difficult to help you.
    The only thing I can suggest is that you start off with an empty project, import unistorm then import any other assets you have in your current project.
    Not to start again but to find the other asset which is breaking unistorm.

30. Kinukin

Kinukin

What I was planning to do. But I think the thing that is breaking my UniStorm is that I have multiple FPS controllers, etc.

31. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

it could well be if that's the case try deleting the fps controller stuff inside unistorm from your project.
    just be careful not to delete the scripts on the camera relating to image effects.

32. BHS

BHS

Yes, it sounds like you have multiple conflicting standard assets. Delete the standard assets excluding the image effects. This happens because Unity doesn't detect that the same standard assets are already in your scene.

33. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

Hey, I posted a few months back asking if it was possible to change minute/hour via custom script. It wasn't possible at that time but you said you would work on a new way to handle time. Had that been implemented yet?

Thanks

34. BHS

BHS

Yes, with UniStorm 1.8.5 you will be able to have exact starting time with hours and minutes. If you'd like the update early, you can contact us via a PM here on the forums.

Here the exact starting time in action.

35. Jaqal

Jaqal

Hi Im using Unistorm and Unity 5 Pro. I just made a fresh install of Unistorm and for some reason once it has been night fo a few seconds the night the sky will get bright white and the moon will turn orange. I cannot figure out why it is doing this. Any ideas?

36. BHS

BHS

This is a Unity issue, but can be fixed by doing the following:

Go to Window>Lighting then apply the Sun_Moon light object to the Sun component of the Environmental Lighting.

37. Jaqal

Jaqal

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been very impressed with Unistorm lately, especially with keeping up to Unity 5. Keep up the good work. ;)

38. Jaqal

Jaqal

Are you guys planning on supporting the ambient source feature that is also found in the lighting window? This would allow for the ambient source to be gradient or skybox instead of just one single color.

39. Kinukin

Kinukin

Everytime I import this into my Unity 5 project, it says I need to update it?

Edit: Just thought of a feature that would be cool in the UniStorm, when it rains objects/textures should have reflections for that realistic feeling. I'm going to add that in mine :)

Thanks

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  40. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

I purchased Unistorm and gave you a pm for the update. :)

41. BHS

BHS

Ambient Light Source is already supported. You can start using it now.

That's strange, sounds like it's the Asset Store.

Great idea, we have also thought of this. We plan on adding it within the next version or so.

We'll PM you the changes when we get a chance.

42. artician

artician

You might already support this, but I couldn't find it.
    Since you support Unity 5 now, I was really hoping you could implement an HDRI/IBR/PBR interpolation feature, which would allow me to associate several different HDR images with times of day, and have UniStorm interpolate between them. Is that even possible?

43. Jaqal

Jaqal

How does unistorm handle the gradient ambient light option in the lighting menu. If I set the daytime unistorm ambient light to orange and I'm using gradient ambient lighting does unistorm only change one color of the gradient to orange or all of them?

I am also experiencing a problem where the sun is always quite small even when I have it set to max size in the unistorm inspector. The only way I can make it larger is by changing the procedural sky material during runtime.

44. BHS

BHS

We already support Unity 5's PBS which controls the Global Illumination for each time of day. If you're using the new Standard Unity 5 shaders, they will take in the Global Illumination color changes and apply them to shader. It allows for great looking lighting.

This is UniStorm's current shading and lighting using Unity 5's real-time Global Illumination:
    GI Day.png

GI Evening.png

GI Night.png

It would be possible to do HDRI/IBR, but would require an addition to UniStorm's time of day transitions. Would do the same as we have done, but make your own interpolation change.

So, for example, if you wanted to change between day and evening, you would access UniStorm's time and interpolate until you have reached the evening lighting.

We plan on adding the option to control the Gradient Ambient Source with UniStorm 1.8.5.

The Color Ambient Source already allows for great looking lighting as you can see from the screenshots above.

45. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

@BHS I purchased Unistorm a while ago (about a year and a half) and just brought it back into my project after conflicts about 6 months ago.
    I am looking to have static time and static weather, this I have already set.

But when starting it slowly transitions into these settings, as the weather slowly takes effect, is there any way to get it to start instantly, I have set the particles to pre-warm but it doesn't change anything.

46. reocwolf

reocwolf

Do you guys include dust storms as part of the weather system? Also when it snows, do I have to set up my own materials for snow accumulation or do you guys do it based on any object's normal map?

47. BHS

BHS

We plan on adding an instant weather option. So, when you start your scene with it enabled, all weather will be fully transitioned.

You can implement everything yourself now. It would just require setting the all the fade values to 1 on start, as well as the rain generation to being max.

A dust storm is something we plan on adding possibly with 1.8.5, which is our next version.

As for snow, we plan on including a dynamic accumulating snow shader and example with UniStorm 1.8.5.

reocwolf likes this.
  48. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

By default, UniStorm does not calculate Snow Accumulation, believe me, I wish it did, but currently you would have to add that yourself. It does come with a kind of dust storm, one is a snow storm and the other is a sub-particle on the heavy rain prefab.

reocwolf likes this.
  49. reocwolf

reocwolf

Any idea when 1.8.5 will be released?

50. BHS

BHS

We plan on adding generated snow accumulation that the dynamic snow will use with 1.8.5. This will be based off how much it snows.

We don't give out release dates but it should be soon. We plan submitting sometime next week and possibly the week after. We have a ton planned, including exact start time. We will post the release notes when we get closer to submitting.

Last edited: May 31, 2015