Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. elbows

elbows

I don't know why you think this will help prevent piracy, Im sure it won't, and it just creates pain for the people who purchased your assets. Its a very bad idea and Im very sorry you decided to do this.

I mean the pirates are mostly getting the assets from someone who has purchased them, so eventually the pirates will get hold of the documentation and share it. The asset pirates are extremely annoying but history mostly shows that trying to fight piracy in this way causes little good and plenty of inconvenience for legitimate users.

As someone who has spent lots of money in the asset store, including UniStorm, I do get upset by the pirates. But I don't want even more reasons to be upset, or to think of people spending lots of effort trying to thwart the pirates in ways that are doomed to fail.

Never mind, I keep my invoices so I will be able to get the documentation, but I still think you should abandon this idea, focus on making life nice for your legitimate users and never mind the people who won't pay.

2. tripknotix

tripknotix

i think even easyroads3d just finally submitted to the asset store, they realized even if you prevent pirates from getting your product, the asset store has way more people to sell to, and its better to just update your product more often, so when a new feature comes out they aren't waiting for pirates to submit it, instead they will just purchase it, when you make lots and lots of updates. instead of small long updates, this will help slow down pirating by having more updates.

3. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

I'm with 'elbows' on this one, I have an invoice number but this just irritates me. Why should I be made to jump through hoops as a legitimate paying customer. By making it harder all you're doing is waving a red flag to the bull (the pirates) - they are more inclined to ensure a copy goes up to make a point that your efforts are pointless. You're not fixing anything, just irritating your customer base. There is no simple solution to piracy. If you really want to combat it in an effective way, and insist on alienating your customer base then don't sell via the asset store, sell via your own website, and for every order embed a watermark of an invoice number, or hide it somewhere in the documentation or something. At least then you have some chance of tracking whoever the original copy came from.

When I purchase an asset I expect documentation and tutorials to be at hand when I download the package. I don't want to buy an asset, email the author, and then hope that they are on the ball (or in the same time zone) with checking their e-mail. I want to purchase and start using it straight away - but that's just me. I purchased 1.2 in anticipation of 1.4, but had I known you were going to pull this move I honestly wouldn't have purchased it at all. As it stands, I'm more likely to pass over any future assets that you create, because I just don't want to deal with the extra aggravation. In short, you're potentially loosing future sales, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying you don't have a right to protect your work, because you do; however, this isn't a route that is going to help in the least, and can only hurt your sales in the end.

4. tripknotix

tripknotix

Yeah i have to agree with everyone, your not going to hurt the pirates that are going to distribute the manual and tutorials , just as they do with 3ds max / maya tutorials, the only people your hurting is us who pay.

#1 the pirates will get a .zip file with both the tutorials and your product.

#2 we will have to jump through hoops in order to get the tutorial.

Conclusion: your only hurting us, the paying customers, infact it might even be easier for us paying customers to just download the manual/tutorials off a pirate site, at that point.

additionally some people have lost their invoice numbers and WILL have to download from the pirate site.

This is sort of like when Spore the game, was very hard to get working on machines, because of the DRM, instead people downloaded it illegally, AFTER paying for it legally. It became the most pirated game of the year, with 2 million pirated downloads that year alone.

5. BHS

BHS

@Everyone We didn't think it would be such a hassle for our customers to email their invoice numbers, but if it really is that difficult I guess we can include the documentation with UniStorm 1.4. We know that people will eventually get it, but that's the point; eventually.

There are things our customers can do though to help us get more sales so it's kinda of a wash away. It'd be nice for you guys to rate UniStorm, nicely hopefully. We have spent a lot of time and effort creating an inexpensive dynamic weather system for Unity so it'd be nice to have something to show for it, after we release it of course. Buyers may not realize, but a 5 star rating can dramatically help that product.

6. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

You could always consider creating a private forum, where by you only grant access to users that supply a valid invoice. Then only offer support and bonus materials via that forum. That way you at least know that your only providing support to people that have purchased your software. I don't know how the approval process would be affected by you with holding documentation, but I hope that type of thing would be frowned upon.

7. RoyS

RoyS

Would be happy to rate and give you a 5-star. (I'm at work right now.) You have done an awesome job on UniStorm (I also purchased your Ultimate HD Light Effects Pack - which is very good) and UniStorm has become much more than what we originally thought it would be. You've surpassed expectations and I would definitely purchase any other product "Black Horizon Studios" produces.

8. BHS

BHS

@BruwtForce That's a good idea we might try that.

@RoyS Thanks it is much appreciated and glad to hear you like our other products.

9. aspide

aspide

I will be more than glad to rate Unistorm at 5 stars but even if I bought it on the asset store it simply doesn't permit me to rate it. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (apart from clicking on the rate stars) wich is the most probable thing, or if there is something wrong with the asset store rating system itself. May other customers try to rate it and post here their success ?

10. elbows

elbows

Thanks for listening. I hope to give you a very good rating but I am waiting till 1.4 comes out before doing a review as I want to cover the new features.

11. BHS

BHS

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

@Aspide To rate the product just scroll down on the UniStorm product to "User Reviews"; it's below package contents, to the left it'll say, "Write a Review", click that and it'll allow you to rate and write a review.

12. aspide

aspide

Ooops, how did I miss it ?? Thanks, rated the mandatory five stars :)))). And, please, I'm eagerly awaiting the 1.4... I'd like to test the network integration I'm thinking of ;)

13. BHS

BHS

@Aspide Thanks, yes we will be submitting it withing a few hours.

14. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We have submitted UniStorm 1.4 to the Asset Store and are awaiting approval.

15. virror

virror

Yay! : D

16. aspide

aspide

Yeah !! Those are GOOD news !!

17. BHS

BHS

Hey fellow UniStorm fans,

UniStorm 1.4 has hit the Asset Store! Go get it!

18. Legacy

Legacy

Will give feedback as soon as i get a chance to check it out later tonight :)

19. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

Great stuff, I bought it yesterday, hoping 1.4 would arrive soon!

I think it is soon enough! good job for your work, and remember my name hehe I'll probably bug you couple of time!

20. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I just bought this and updated. Looks great, but the sample scene is so dark I can hardly see anything except when I look at the moon.
    Where do you set the time of day to start it off at?

Edit: Shut down and reopened it now looks bright and sunny and aok! Not sure what was up with that.

21. BHS

BHS

@sonicvic hmm that's weird, the scene should be defaultly set at midday, but good to hear its working. If it's too dark at night, you can adjust the night darkness in the editor.

22. Legacy

Legacy

Hey, i attempted to import the update but for some reason it doesnt like the image effects scripts you put under standard assets.

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Standard Assets/Image Effects (BHS)/ImageRefractionEffect.cs(10,17): error CS0103: The name `ImageEffects' does not exist in the current context
    attempted to change it but according to intelisense in visual studio theres nothing that matches.

23. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I don't understand the system1.4 prefab.
    It has a player and camera under it, and I'm dropping it into an existing scene with a terrain, disabling the existing camera and main light.
    Your demo has the terrain set at a point to match your prefab transform position?

What do I need to do when dropping this into an existing scene to get it to work correctly, and the lighting settings to work?

By lighting I mean it seems really bright dropping it into a new scene. I'm testing in some of Michael O's landscape terrains, and the colors go all out of whack, even when his camera and main light are disabled.

ty!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  24. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 That image effect script for some reason doesn't export than import when you make your own export; it should be in the original asset store update, so just find that file and put it into the Image Effects (BHS) folder in whatever project you imported it into. If that file isn't even on your computer than for some reason it didn't export with the asset store, which it should have because no one else has been missing that script. If you're missing that script I'll send it to you so you can add it to your project.

@sonicviz You need to keep the original light source, or the sun, if it's too bright you can adjust all the colors of everything in the edidtor. Make it a darker color than what it is now to avoid it being too bright. Sorry every computer is different, it looked fine with our computer.

As for the main camera there are some particle effects you need on there in order for the system to function properly, simple get these effects and assets and put them on your camera.

If you guys have any more questions just let us know and we'll get them fixed.

25. sonicviz

sonicviz

ah, I see now. You don't recommend putting shadows on your lights? Ty for the help!

EDIT: Actually I can't keep the original light source as it's not meshed in with you time of day control of your lights.

26. BHS

BHS

@sonicviz Your welcome, no you can, we recommend it if you have pro.

27. sonicviz

sonicviz

Yes, I have pro. I'll just replace it with yours and fiddle with the settings. ty

28. RayWolf

RayWolf

Hi,
    I bought it last night and it took me about 2-3 hours to understand and implement into my scene sucessfully. Now Im the happiest Man of the World. Impressive Thing created by the author, gj!

this is how my night went:

First I watched the example scene carefully, investigating where to find the player, comparing the distances to the sky (so I could use the 15000 clipping for the camera and not any Meter more^^) then drag n dropped the prefab ito it and got blind by the default bloom intensity :D!

attention: Some Lights and/or GameObjects are 'unchecked (deactivated) as default and will work by the scripts. I did some mistakes in unchecking GameObjects and then re-activating them with 'yes all children please'-thingy. e.g.: So I had SuN and Moon all the time with a brigthness only the God-Emperor from WH40k knows :D

I ended up with deleting my Directional Light Values and used the Lights which Unistorm brought in. There is alot of tweaking possible with the color-settings in the Inspector, I really appreciate this, thank you very much! I even managed it to make nights lil darker coz I want my owns fire lights more tributing to the scene lighting at night. It was a piece of cake to manage this.

The unity console did their job in telling me that I need to assign my camera to the script (worked!) and b4 that I copied some components from the UniStorm-brought-in-camera onto my own PlayerCamera (Im using RPG Controller for Input and Control), same for the player I think (not sure now..was a stormy night^^)

I also used my own Bloom scripts and settings, dont like the look of the UniStorm example, was easy done.

I disabled (out-commented in the scripts) the rain on camera effect Unistorm uses and set this to false coz I dont like this visual effect. It DOES make the storm more impressive BUT it reminds the Player he is looking through a camera..this would kil the immersion of my game here. noob-question: Is there a simplier way then // the if-statements and setting the variable to falls in the script? I hesitate in deleting the component coz of console warnings or errors (dont remember right now), would great to have that optional in the unity inspector with a checkbox.^^

But the only real thing Im concerned is this fog-fake around camera position. It looks kinda cheap imho. Is there any other approach possible for near-by-fog or dust in distance?

Im very happy with this product, it works fine even for none-programmer-minded people :D! Excellent Job!

regards,
    Ray (sry if the english is not properly perfect, Im german^^)

29. SarperS

SarperS

The system itself looks and works great.

BUT

You have to go through tons of pain to set it up because packaging is abysmal. It doesn't look and work right as you just drag and drop it into your scene. Lots of disabled components and scripts on the prefab. The prefab even has a character controller by default, I thought this was a weather and day night cycle system only. Comes with all the standart assets which it mostly doesn't use too.

Improve the packaging, remove unused assets, put your example scene assets to a seperate folder which I can delete. Only after that I'll rate a 5 stars.

If you fix all the issues and clean it up, I think it will worth way more than it's current price, but in it's current packaging, I don't think I'm getting my money's worth.

30. Legacy

Legacy

well i did purchase it off of the asset store heres the proof i can get the email from unity if you like... if you look at the import its importing stuff into landscapes v2 which i have no idea why because i dont beleive you made the landscapes pack o_O

http://legacyonlineentertainment.com/purchased.png

31. elbows

elbows

Perhaps its an issue along the lines of Unity seeing that you already had some of the files in your project, but in a different folder, and is importing the files into these other locations rather than the locations specified in the unistorm package.

If you try importing it into a fresh empty project then I think you'll be able to tell if thats the issue.

32. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

I would have to agree with Mortiis on this one, the package is a complete mess. I'm not sure what I can strip out and what I can't at this point. Yes I can probably work it out with some trial and error, but the point is I shouldn't have to. Once I'm done playing with the demo stuff I just want to select a demo folder, hit delete, and have it all vamoosh the stuff that I no longer need, just leaving the core system to place into my own scenes. I won't rate this just yet, but it will impact my rating if it remains the same in a subsequent release.

33. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

There need to be documentation that's way better than what's included. The whole thing feels like you rushed to get it out of the door, and while I can commend your excitement, I think you've done yourselves a disservice. You can't just drag the prefab into your scene and it work as intended (which I thought was the whole idea of a prefab). It's clear that things are on when they should be off, or off when they should be on. Without more detailed step by step setup documentation it rapidly turns into a nightmare that we shouldn't have to deal with. My scene certainly in no way shape or form looks like the demo scene, especially in terms of lighting etc.

I'm not a fan of the rain on camera effect either, and I'm still trying to find a way to turn that off - I don't know if it's not setup right from the prefab that I dragged in, but it looks terrible.

It's a shame, because the demo is worthy of a 5 star rating no question. What you need to do now is bring the documentation and setup into an existing scene up to the same standard, because right now it's most definitely not.

34. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I enjoyed the demo, and looked through the various gameobjects and such. I haven't tried to integrate it into my project(s) yet. Overall...you have an excellent system, I can't wait to put it to use!

I have to agree with the rain drops on the camera affect, was looking for how to turn it off.
    And yes...the overall use of the system must be simplified and made more clear.

Thanks!

35. BHS

BHS

@Everyone, you can turn off the rain on screen effect by going to the image refraction material and setting the Z and W numbers in the top right corner to 0. It will still enable the script, but it will be turned off completely. We also apologize for the organization of our project, we will try to release an update that organizes everything and updates the documentations so they are more clear. We didn't think we were going to have so many customers at once. We'll get right on it and hopefully have it done and submitted by the end of today. Can you guys please give suggestions of what you mean by organize? Like materials all in separate folders and textures all in separate folders and separately labeled? As well as everything that is in the system prefabed separately?

We will also make it easier for people with 3rd person cameras, sorry we forgot to include a prefab for it. We will with this next small update.

@RayWolf The fake fog was used to for people who don't have pro. If you don't like it you can deactivate the game object and everything will still work fine. UniSky had a similar problem with fog because it usually requires render to texture for it too look good. If you have free you could use Unity's fog, but that would require adding to some of the script because you have to turn it off and on. Others who have free may not want this. If you want Unity's fog, I'll see if I can add it to the weather system script. Just PM me.

@Mortiis We will take care of the organizing the project and try to release an update by tonight.

@Efraser2007 Alright that proof is fine, we'll PM you the script. And yes, we didn't have the landscapes v2 in our system, must be something within your own project.

@BruwtForce There's a lot of things that are needed to make the system run, but I agree we could organize things better and we will. Can you give us some suggestions, like you want all particle systems and assets separately prefabed? And we will also better the documentation, we don't want anyone to feel like we rushed it because we didn't.

@jc_lvngstn Thanks, glad you like it. We explained above on how you can turn off the rain on screen effect.

36. RoyS

RoyS

Perfect for windows and it's too bad this couldn't be placed on a "plate of glass" so you could see the effect if looking out a house window. Awesome effect, just needs to be applied in the right place.

37. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

Honestly at this point, organization would be nice, but what I really want to see is documentation that will allow somebody with an existing scene, existing 3rd person camera system, and existing 3d model, all of which are already running around on existing terrain to be able to import your system and get it to look and function like the demo. Currently that is certainly not the case.

As for the organization, I would be happy with having a demo folder that contained everything needed for the demo scenes, which could be removed instantly if not needed. Same with the 1.2 stuff, I have no need for it unless it's required for part of the 1.4, and if it is then it really needs to be merged in and renamed to save confusion. Basically, on my main project I just want whats essential and necessary to make the system run like it does in the demo, no more, and no less.

38. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Greetings.

OK I shoehorned this in:) actually once I got past the prefab adding another camera to the scene, was pretty easy in my test scene.

three issues though... and for reference, I am using Unity pro 3.5 on my own testing scene having imported the prefab.

1) My sun is a huge long cigar shape covering two thirds of the sky and as it rises and sets theres an effect which is hard to describe easily where the fog or similar ( fake fog is disabled) comes down to the top of the scenery and cuts off tops of trees etc that are above the scenery.. it's almost like theres an error in the layers displayed. Also at the ends of the cigar is a noticable line in the sky.

2) My pro daylight water just vanishes.. its still in the scene but its not visible anymore. Pro Water 4 is OK however.

3) Inside a building, I no longer get the rain drops (good) but I do still get the water running down the screen (bad) :) This is not a mjor issue for me as with Third Person Camera, I will be taking the option above to kill the on-camera water anyway.

If you need, I could forward you the project to view...

Other than that it's all working, but I will be trying to strip out the First person controller and revert to my own third person control.

I do love this though, as it has little effect on my frame rate.. mostly the frame rate is being hit when rain starts or stops.. during rain its still good and even with the camera at 15k for the clouds, its still good. (so far so good ) :)

Regards

Moria

39. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Greetings.

OK some follow up :)

Solved :) It was the shaders. Deleting them solved this.

Mostly solved by getting rid of the shaders.. still slightly present when raining at night.

Still an Issue

Turned the screen ripples off, much better for me.

Now operating using my third party camera and Third person view.

Still OK on frame rate...

1 new issue.. the lighting change from storm to cloudy sky is instantaneous.. would be much better (IMO) if it faded from one to the other.. currently it's more like a lightswitch being flicked on or off.

Regards

Moria

40. BHS

BHS

Okay, so we tried removing some of the standard assets such as the unneeded pro effects and this cause Unity to error with this weird "CheckShaderAndCreateMaterial" error script error. We tried, but Unity won't let us. Are having some extra pro effects really that big of a deal? We have the fps controller for the demo so we need to keep it, along with the image effects.

We are working on organizing everything, like placing things in different folders rather than just categorizing huge amounts of assets in 1 folder. We have also removed some unneeded assets, things are looking much better and organized. So the folders Materials_Textures/Materials/MoonPhases would take you to all the moon phase materials. This goes for other materials, textures, and prefabs, everything is properly organized with names and folders.

We also added a prefab with all the player's effects and particle systems so you can add it to your player or camera in your own scene. There's no way for us to prefab a 3rd person camera because a lot of you have your own custom kit. There's only a few things you need to add to the camera itself, everything else has been prefabed.

Remember the system is new there will be a little bit of trial and error and we apologize, we're trying to fix everything asap.

Hopefully this is more along the lines of what you guys were talking about? We are also working on the documentation.

@Moria Glad to hear everything is working, the sun can't be faded out slowly as of now because it is controlled though script to control the sun's time of day.

41. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

Sounds good to me, and I don't mind if there isn't anything prefabed for the 3rd person controller / camera - as long as you document what the user needs to do, what should be on, what should be off etc.. in terms of adding the necessary components. Really, my biggest gripe was the severe lack of step by step setup documentation for people to add your system into an existing scene - which is probably going to be the norm.

42. BHS

BHS

@BruwtForce Agreed, we were thinking, would a video tutorial be better than trying to explain everything through written documentation? We could show how to setup a fresh scene and then add a 3rd person controller to it? We will also improve the docs, but this approach would be much easier and be less likely to leave people confused. Visual step by step examples would be much easier to follow.

43. BruwtForce

BruwtForce

A video tutorial along those lines sounds awesome - as long as it's clear and of a decent quality of course :) If you can show the setting up of a scene from scratch with all of the components / prefabs, and get it resemble the quality of the demo, then you'll be getting a five star from me no question.

44. Legacy

Legacy

Same here :) proper documentation and tutorials will definately help your product sell and help get those 5 stars you wanted.

45. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

Hi, it's not the sun fading in or out, it's adding a delayed fade for the light intensity that's needed when it goes from being a storm or rain back to normal weather, or vice versa... currently the intensity of light snaps from about 0.05 to 0.25. It would be nice if theres a change in intensity of light if it happened over a time period instead of being instant.

I'll see if I can find it.. it should probably be a yield with a lerp on intensity over time, but I suspect it's just a change in value.

Regards

Moria

46. sonicviz

sonicviz

I think you have a great system, just let down by some usability issues.
    It would go a long way if you actually included a meta control Gui (even using Unity Gui) to easily control the main parameters while working on a scene to get things like lighting right. You mention doing this in the docs, but I don't think you should outsource that to the users for such a complex package, it should be part of the base system.

The lighting is way to bright at the moment, and I'd like to work at a high level to rapidly get an approximate feel instead of having to hunt through the editor turning things on and off just to see what happens. There is also a serious intermittent bug with win 7 x64 unity (not sure about other versions) where the colour swatch comes up blank and crashes unity. Very frustrating, and I have to do a save every time I go to change something.

I've been watching the clouds, they look excellent but I also think you need to increase the number of texture variation to make it a little more non repeatable.

ty!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  47. ZerkyWerky

ZerkyWerky

Hey guys, congrats for your stuff and great if you can provide couple of video tutorial, (plz have someone a lil bit energetic to explain it :p)
    but I would strongly suggest that even with video tutorial, you guys need to document EVERY features your tool get otherwise it is a real pain for us tocreate something more unic or learn what does what with a trial and error..

other than that, I still digg in, it is an awesome tool, a bit messy,I agree and its good your already outlined you will fix it cause I like to keep my stuff lean and use my own assets so all the standard unity stuff or generic post process things are useles for us and probably for a lot of us..

as said before, I suggest you to put everything is not directly related to your system such as your demo in a propoer folder and the rest completely independt from it.. refraction gloom and S*** like that is not really part of your tool so it would be nice to have YOUR stuff in prefab and maybe, like a close competitor did (not to name it :p) having some slots to fill like; drag n drop your scene camera here, drag n drop your character prefab and execute an action script at start or whatever.. just an idea.

in the end, great tool need a bit of refactor in the structure but for 40$, I am super happy so far and I really appreciate when the developer are that proactive in replying customers that's a big plus!

anyway haha I also have a question! :) actually, I have 2 question...

in your demo or scene, my clouds pop.( appear/disappear) during the cycle. usually when passing from the day time to dusk or dusk to night or night to dawn.. is it normal? if so, is it something you guys plan on fixing sooner or later cause it hurt the quality a lot!

next one, my game is networked.. is there any api or specific way to share the current wheather using your scripts commands?

keep the great work and thanks in advance for the answer :)

48. sonicviz

sonicviz

Second this x 100. Video tutorials are great, but should be the secondary level of "documentation". They are a pita when you just need info on a specific feature and want to find it quickly. It's extremely annoying when developers just provide video's and nothing else.

There are some excellent packages on the asset store who provide excellent documentation, are benchmark standards for what Unity asset store products should be.
    Unfortunately there also seems to growing trend to provide none, little, or downright bad documentation with the excuse that "it's a beta". Not on for a paid product imo.

Please don't let your excellent product fall into that trap!

Keep up the great work support,

ty

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  49. tripknotix

tripknotix

i get this exact same error when i import to my project that had the previous version, it says it doesnt exist, but if i create a new project it works perfectly. can you explain what might be happening?

50. RayWolf

RayWolf

I noticed the jumps in lighting too. Its no smooth transition, reminds me to ViSky - same there I believe. But even for a AAA Title on PC platform this would be no great disturbance or major Bug, but a smooth switch form one lighting value to another would be nicer to look. So if you have an aproach to change this, let us know plz.!

regards,
    Ray