Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ksam2

ksam2

It doesn't works with unity5

2. Ascensi

Ascensi

I haven't been able to get the current version to work. I think BHS said their new version supports it but we're all waiting on the new release ;)

3. dpgSam

dpgSam

Hmm thanks for sharing, I can't decide if I wanna purchase Unistorm yet now...
    Sorry for asking this but I can't really be bothered reading through all 48 pages, but how often are updates? When was the last update released and any rough guesses on this upcoming release? o:

My project due in a month could seemingly seriously benefit from this system.

4. Ascensi

Ascensi

It's been a few months now I think.. you can see the published date on their youtube videos to keep up with how often they update. The updates seem to be big ones with new features and fixes but they will post fixes for you here if you run into trouble if they can help.

5. Olander

Olander

The Asset Store shows September 24, 2014 which is about right.

I am much more critical on 1.8.0 since it was a rather large diversion from 1.6....although 1.8.0 is much easier to get working. With the changes in 1.8.1 I think we are all very eager to to update......just waiting somewhat patiently. :)

As for whether UniStorm is worth purchasing. Indeed it is. No question.

6. Rico21745

Rico21745

Does Unistorm have any problems working with Sunshine or other shader packages?

7. Syrath88

Syrath88

Wasn't the update due to come out weeks ago?

Ascensi likes this.
  8. BHS

BHS

We haven't tested it yet but we will talk with the developers of Sunshine and let you know.

It was slightly delayed due to a minor bug we found that we didn't want to submit UniStorm with. The minor bug fix allows UniStorm's shadows to be much cleaner and smoother. We also had time to add changeable cloud color based on the time of day. It has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  9. sqallpl

sqallpl

@BHS

Hello. I have a question.

Is it possible to load a specific time of day, date and weather in UniStorm? Generally the whole specific state of the system.

From what I see it looks like it should not be a problem but what about specific weather state? Let's say that I want to save a game in the middle of a storm. Is it possible to load it and give an input to the UniStorm so it will know that it should be in the middle of the storm, instead of starting the storm from the beginning? Or if the save was made in a big rain, it would be good if the rain is already big after loading this state, just from the start after giving an input to the system, instead of some subtle rain.

Just imagine a situation when the player is doing a fast quicksave, he dies few moments later and quickloads after that. It would be nice if the weather state is just same as before and not too different.

Is that possible with UniStorm?

Thank you.

10. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Any news about 1.8.1 update (Shuriken particles)?

11. BHS

BHS

Yes, it should be. We wrote this for a customer about a week ago.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Sharp):
    3. //UniStorm Starting time example
    4. //By: Black Horizon Studios
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using System.Collections;
    8. public class StartingHour : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    11.     public GameObject uniStormSystem;
    12.     public int startingHour = 8;
    13.     public float getDayLength;
    14.     public bool startingHourReached = false;
    16.     void Awake ()
    17.     {
    18.         uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormPrefab_C/UniStormSystemEditor");  //Get our UniStorm Weather System gameObject
    19.         getDayLength = uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().dayLength;
    20.     }
    22.     void Start ()
    23.     {
    24.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().dayLength = 0.1f; //Sets our dayLength fast to calculate the proper time on start
    26.         //Sets our time variables
    27.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().dayCounter = 1;
    28.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().monthCounter = 1;
    29.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().yearCounter = 2014;
    31.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().weatherForecaster = 1; //Changes the weather to foggy
    32.         uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().fader = 1;  //Fades in clouds instantly
    33.     }
    36.     void Update ()
    37.     {
    38.         if (startingHourReached == false)
    39.         {
    40.             uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().lightFlareObject.light.intensity = 0; //Fades out our sun glare instantly
    41.         }
    43.         //After everything is set disable by setting startingHourReachedTo true
    44.         if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().hourCounter == startingHour && startingHourReached == false)
    45.         {
    46.             startingHourReached = true;
    47.             uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().dayLength = getDayLength;
    48.             uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>().startTime = 0.3333f;
    49.         }
    51.     }
    52. }

This is everything that has been updated regarding particle effects with version 1.8.1.

* Added Rain Splashes by default back to the UniStorm System.
    * Added an option to use custom rain splash textures if desired.
    * Added support to enable or disable Rain Splashes via the UniStorm Editor.
    * Added Rain Mist particle effect, and completely redid it, for rain weather types adding much greater immersion and effect to rain storms. (Brought back due to request. Rain Streaks are still available for those who choose to use them) The combination of Rain Streaks and Rain Mist make storms feel realistic, powerful, and immersive.
    * Added support to enable or disable Rain Mist via the UniStorm Editor
    * Rewrote the Rain Mist particle shader so that it blends much better with storm clouds and rain streaks. This shader is also now affected by the time of day taking fog and ambient lighting into its color. This allows for perfect and seamless shading for all times of day according to your custom color tweaks.
    * Rewrote the rain particle system shader so that it better blends with other weather effects and storm clouds.
    * UniStorm now uses Shuriken Particle System (You can easily replace any particle system with a custom on if desired, this is also available via the UniStorm Editor). This allows us to utilize all of the new Shuriken System's features to get great looking weather effects.
    * Redid all weather effects using Shuriken Particle System. Weather effects have all been greatly improved.
    * Rain will now react to movement to look more realistically rather than always falling vertically resultingin unrealistic looking rain (Ex. If your player moves horizontally the rain will slightly slant left or right)

12. jayty90

jayty90

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  13. jayty90

jayty90

Also had a question, why is the linear fog end distance limited to 1300?

14. BHS

BHS

You imported the UniStorm package or UniStorm from the Asset Store? It looks like you are missing a shader. That doesn't happen from the Asset Store because nothing can be missing.

The fog has been increased with UniStorm 1.8.1 which has been submitted and is awaiting approval.

15. jayty90

jayty90

Thanks for the reply,

I did directly download the package from the asset store, I even removed it from the "Roaming/Unity/Asset Store" folder and then re-downloaded it using the asset store. Do you think it could be the Unity version I am using?

16. jayty90

jayty90

17. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Great!
    I can't find it to download. Was it already published?

TIA,
    R.

18. Ascensi

Ascensi

Why does it take so long to get approved? I have many purchased assets, RTP, Sectr Complete, Terrain composer etc and when they state that they've just submitted an update and are waiting for it to be approved it usually arrives the day after. I've read on here a couple times that version 1.8.1 was submitted.. one was over or around two weeks ago but then you've shared you caught a bug.. It sounds like you've just submitted it again but nothing new is showing. - just wondering, the length of wait just seems a bit odd..

19. jayty90

jayty90

@BHS Do you maybe know how to fix the problem with the shaders? I really have to get it to work

20. BHS

BHS

That's strange because we cannot recreate your issue. What version of Unity are you using? Also, don't delete folders. This could be why you're having issues.

We submitted it a few days ago because we found a couple minor bugs. We wanted to continue to test it to make sure we didn't miss anything. The reason it's taking so long is because sometimes the Asset Store takes 7 days to accept something. In one case it took 10 days.

It shouldn't be too much longer and we're sure everyone will love the new update.

21. jayty90

jayty90

@BHS I'm using Unity 4.6.0, I have the problem when I open the test scene directly downloaded from the assetstore into a clean project

22. sacha

sacha

I ran into something weird with the latest release of unistorm and unity.

Clouds are rendered correctly on Mac but non existent under windows, both using either Standalone or Web. Clouds only appears during storms...

We tried on different computer and got the same odd results.

For reproducing purpose, i used the demo scene and got the same result.

No errors on logs, nothing i can really find to explain that issue that start to be really annoying...

Thanks for any helps.
    Lc

23. BHS

BHS

If you are using DX11, you need to follow this quick fix guide to update your gradient sky shader and your cloud shader to be properly supported by DX11.

It can be found here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...sible_Issues#I_can.27t_see_any_dynamic_clouds

This has been fixed with UniStorm 1.8.1 which has been submitted and is awaiting approval. This simply provides a fix until then.

sacha likes this.
  24. odin60

odin60

Currently testing out 1.8.0 and noticed when setting the starting date to February 1, 2014 and when looking at the moon at midnight the moon pops to a different moon phase. I don't know if you already have this fixed in 1.8.1 but it would probably be better if the moon phase is updated at noon when the moon is not visible or at least some easing into the new phase at the very least.

25. BHS

BHS

26. malteins

malteins

AWESOME, I've been waiting for this soooooo looooooong! Thanx!

27. Ascensi

Ascensi

Awesome thank you! One compile error still exists since last version which had to be removed - I'm not sure how to fix it. There was no problem before importing Unistorm ... This is the error I get: Assets/Standard Assets/Image Effects (Pro Only)/DepthOfField34.js(107,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'Quads'. Any ideas? Using Unity 5 Beta 20 on Windows

28. BHS

BHS

We just did a test import with no issue. Have you tried deleting the image effect script or reimporting the image effects?

29. Ascensi

Ascensi

Reimporting didn't work. I can afford to delete it so that part is done.. now a list of name space errors come up; CharacterMotorMovement, MovementTransferOnJump, MovementTransferOnJump, CharacterMotorMovingPlatform, CharacterMotorSliding. I don't want to delete these, I would actually like to try the demo first to see the changes ;) It's getting late for me here, I'm no programmer.. is there an easy fix? :)

30. melonhead

melonhead

NOT HAPPY BHS, WHERE IS MY PROMISED RAIN ON SCREEN EFFECT, YOU PROMISED THIS FOR 1.8.1 SO WHERE IS IT?

OH AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THE GROUND SPLASHES THEY ARE AWFUL, JUST WHITE DOTS, NOT GOOD, REPLACE THE OTHERS BACK PLEASE!!! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  31. BHS

BHS

It appears you have 2 of the same CharacterMotor.cs scripts in your project, possibly 2 of the other character controller scripts as well. Make sure you only have 1 of each in your project. If you are using your own from before you imported UniStorm, you can just delete the character controller scripts that came with UniStorm.

We added so many new requested and much needed features we forgot to add this feature back. If you'd like, you can send us a PM and we can give you a script that will access UniStorm and do the same thing. If fact, we will most likely add it to our UniStorm Wiki site.

As for the rain splashes, they looked fine when we made them. They are the same textures as before when we had splashes, they're just smaller. You can fix this by making the splash particles bigger. That's why the seem like dots, to you.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  32. shwa

shwa

Great that 1.81 is available for download.

I just downloaded it and gave it a spin using the included demo.
    Some good improvements.
    Congrats BHS.

I'm hoping it's a painless process to bring this into to current projects i have.

As well, imo, and for my needs, it needs some tweaking:
    - E.g. i'd like access to more realistic rain and realistic splashes for certain projects of mine.

I'll post another time about where i think other improvements can be made.

Did a web build from the demo.
    It's 36 megs.
    I bought the mobile version a while ago.
    Be good to have an update soon of the mobile version, and get the size way down.

Again, congrats BHS.

Looking forward to optimizing Unistorm to it's highest potential.

- Shwa

33. shwa

shwa

Oculus Rift -

A while back, BHS mentioned support for Oculus Rift.

Is this now built in, or is there an add on script that can be downloaded?

If not, any idea when this might be available.

The Rift DK2 is quite interesting. !

34. melonhead

melonhead

BHS, Not sure how to pm on here, please put the script on the wiki, i am sure not only me would like to use it, cheers

35. melonhead

melonhead

BHS, when will the dynamic snow tutorial and rain on screen script be on the wiki, as the snow tutorial was in a dec post of yours?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  36. malteins

malteins

37. malteins

malteins

I have another issue. I have a terrain of about 24 x 24 km. So I have read that normally one would set the camera draw distance to something like 15200 - 15500. So this would be small for my level. Now the thing is the prefab also is a bit small for the whole terrain, the outer sides get cut off. How would I go about enlarging the Unistorm System? Just by editing the Scale value?
    Any how when I make the Unistorm prefab bigger, it stops rendering my Suimono 2 ocean. Any clue on this behavior or something similar?
    Thanx!

38. BHS

BHS

Now that Oculus Rift doesn't require pro, we can start making UniStorm fully compatible. We will include this with the next version update.

We will try to post it later today or tomorrow. We are busy finalizing UniStorm Mobile to submit it to the Asset Store.

I would not increase the size of the UniStorm System. Instead, use the 2 Camera Setup. We have made a tutorial for how to do so here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorials#Using_UniStorm_with_a_2_camera_setup

This allows Camera 2 to only render UniStorm so your terrain size shouldn't matter. Camera 1 will render your scene. You can have what ever Far Clipping distance you want with Camera 1, but with using fog you should find a distance where everything fades out seamlessly.

39. shwa

shwa

BHS wrote: "Now that Oculus Rift doesn't require pro, we can start making UniStorm fully compatible. We will include this with the next version update."

Great to hear that, BHS. Thank you.

I'm using the Rift Dev Kit #2. OSX. Unity Pro 4.
    If you want alpha/beta testers, i'm available.

- shwa

40. BHS

BHS

Some help with beta testing Oculus Rift would be great. We will pm you with the details when we're ready to start testing.

41. BHS

BHS

To all UniStorm customers,

We have finished the beta portion of our UniStorm Wiki. With this section, UniStorm customers will be able to beta test new UniStorm features.

These features include Dynamic Snow and Dynamic Wind. We have more beta features coming soon.

If you're interested, please use this link and follow the instructions.

http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Beta_Features

42. radimoto

radimoto

Hi BHS, testing UniStorm 1.8.1 in Unity 5 beta 21 throws the following errors for SunShafts and GlobalFog:

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(416,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SunShafts' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(417,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GlobalFog' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

EDIT - ok I have gotten UniStorm 1.8.1 working in Unity 5 beta 21 with the following fixes for the C# version:

To fix SunShafts, add the following code and then add a SunShafts C# component to the player's camera in the demo scene.

UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs

using UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects;

It then looks like GlobalFog isn't yet exposed, so basically any errors relating to GlobalFog need to be commented out to disable for now.

There are quite a few issues with materials/textures and the transition between Weather Type isn't exactly smooth. Clouds, dust storms, lightning and rain all appear to be working OK. Particle systems such as the butterflies also work but look a bit strange. Switching the Weather Type to "Clear 1" is also only showing a black skybox/background so that also is a bit of an issue....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  43. N1warhead

N1warhead

This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to get the GameView to look like the Scene View?

uniStorm.jpg

44. Ascensi

Ascensi

Yes the asset "BeholdR"

45. Frogger007

Frogger007

Can't find a webplayerdemo for this asset.

A demo like this would make it easier to decide to buy Unistorm.

It should have the possibilty to test different weather types, and the changement from one to the other !

46. N1warhead

N1warhead

Why would I want to purchase another asset? There's gotta be a way to do it right within UniStorm.

47. BHS

BHS

You have to push the Light Icon and the Effects Icon at the top of the scene window. This should make your scene view look like your in-game view.

48. Ascensi

Ascensi

I was thinking you were making a generalized question.. what I shared was an asset to allow most Runtime effects and camera view to be seen/synced in the editor window as well.

49. Olander

Olander

v1.8.1 works much better! Thank You. I did update my remarks on the Asset Store as well.
    This is a rather large improvement and very close to perfect in regards to Weather and Temperature.

I think there are only 3 issues that really need to be rectified with UniStorm

1) Fix the Position of the Prefabs (and Demo) to reference 0,0,0 properly.
    Example being....I am using TerrainComposer to stitch my L3DT or WorldMachine Height maps together. Dragging the UniStorm Prefab into the Hierarchy SHOULD place it at 0,0,0 but it does not. 0,-592.8633,0 then things within the Prefab are placed with no real reason for them being where they are.....UniStormSystemEditor -562.0403,412.4755,402.3179

This perhaps seems picky but it has issues with Parenting things that are Ambient Sound and Weather Related INTO UniStorm. So basically....more work required to reconfigure UniStorm for the designer.

2) Lack of Ambient Wind...the Wind Zone is there but no Ambient Wind Slot. Light Rain Wind and Heavy Rain Wind are there and work but no Regular Wind slot. This can be added of course but more work for something that should already be there.

Note: Adding the Custom Sounds is a welcome added feature in the UniStorm Editor. Thanks

3) Lighting Rendering (Not Light-n-ing) needs MINIMUM sliders. Ambient Sun and Moon light simply do not DISAPPEAR when clouds roll in. There is still light....check out your window on a cloudy day.

Note:
    What happens in game when UniStorm disables the Directional Light is the Normal Maps and Specularity all disappear. Basically making everything look Flat. This would be fine if we are all running Diffuse/Albedo only games. UniStorm is NOT presented in this manner either. So fix the lighting. Time of Day renders lighting much better than UniStorm does. I get that UniStorm does Weather and Temperature as well but if UniStorm is going to use Sun and Moon Lighting then it should make the attempt to use it properly.

At this point Items 1 & 2 are simple to fix. Item 3 needs to be hacked extensively to resolve.

UniStorm does weather so well that it is worth hacking into the disable the lighting model and replace it with Time of Day's. Time to get to work.

50. BHS

BHS

We're glad you're liking UniStorm. Thanks for the suggestions.

1) This is an easy fix and we will make sure it's fixed with 1.8.1.2

2) UniStorm, by default, has Ambient Wind. It's regular wind within the WeatherSystem components within the hierarchy. We are working on Dynamic Wind, which is in beta testing, that will allow users to choose wind settings within the UniStorm Editor. This goes for both Ambient Wind and Storm Wind. This also allows us to have the wind gradually increase as a storm progresses. It will be base off sliders that control the min and max values. If you want early access to Dynamic Wind see this link for details.

http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Beta_Features

The Dynamic Wind looks very good so far, but requires a little bit of hack to the original Unity Wind System. Unity, for some reason, doesn't have these variables open which makes them difficult to access. If the beta test goes well, we will add Dynamic Wind to the next version of UniStorm.

3) We already have plans to include minimum and maximum sliders for cloudy light with cloudy weather types. This will also be added with UniStorm 1.8.1.2.