Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. virror

virror

Good to hear its working!
    Maybe wait for the flash support to get better? If you are unlucky you have to make more changes later because Unity changes something in the flash support since its still very new.

2. mrx000

mrx000

@Black Horizon Studios
    day/night cycles on flash works fine ?

3. BHS

BHS

@Virror Yes, we will probably wait till Flash is more supported before we support it for our system, since it's constantly changing it could cause problems for future Unity updates even if we got it working with 3.5.

mrx000 No, flash isn't yet supported as stated above. The day/night system, as well as the weather system, all work off one script.

4. mrx000

mrx000

does your clouds use Shader Model 3.0?

5. BHS

BHS

@mrx000 the cloud shader doesn't use Shader Model 3.0. This allows the blazing fast frame rate and UniStorm being supported by anyone who buys it. We do plan on possibly writing a shader that does, for those who wish to use it, in a future update.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  6. BHS

BHS

Here's a new video showing off a thunder storm with UniStorm's weather system. The storm was started and stopped for demonstration purposes. The strength and length of a storm varies, it can last a few game hours or a few game days, it's dynamic! Feedback would be appreciated. Watch in HD. The music was used to enhance the feel, as Skyrim was our inspiration for this weather system.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. Legacy

Legacy

One thing i did notice is lightmaps, it kind of makes really really dark shadows on terrain that has been lightmapped o_O

8. BHS

BHS

@Efraser2007 What you're seeing is the rain streak effect. We intentionally made it dark so it could be seen, usually it would be a much lighter color. Its color is adjustable so you can have it any color you want or even disable it if desired. If it's a lighter color or if it's disabled it doesn't affect the darkness of anything on screen.

9. Legacy

Legacy

Well whats happening is i had tree shadows lightmapped onto the terrain because its a forest and obv you dont want full ynamic shadows in a forest because of the performance so what happens is when the lightning goes off it turns on a light that casts shadows which is a nice effect but it actually turns large portions of areas completly black because casting dynamic shadows on lightmapped terrains makes them super dark.

10. runner

runner

Critiques:

• lightning bolts are too thick
    • lightning bolts hardly fork if any
    • would like to see rain splash
    Other than that looking forward for more of these video's

11. Legacy

Legacy

there is rain splash if you have collisions turned on

12. runner

runner

ok great, To be honest i skipped through the video in stages looking for the effect.

The lightning for the time its on screen you could have had three strikes. Which brings me to this idea you could randomize between 1-3 strikes in this period each a different looking bolt that randomized the order.

13. BHS

BHS

@runner Thanks for the feedback, we will take care of it. Yes, certain things were tweaked so viewers would be able to see them, they can easily be adjusted to be as quick as a flash. If we had had it that fast some people would be asking they couldn't see the effects and to slow them down, but no worries we'll make a video with everything tweaked to perfection. This video was also intended to be critiqued, so we do appreciate it.

We're supplying some bolts that are animated and do fork, we'll include them in the next video.

@Efraser2007 Hmm, sounds more like a Unity problem, but if you don't need shadows you can disable them or turn the strength down, thanks for the info though.

14. liverolA

liverolA

when will be 1.4 out?approximate time?

15. LongMozart

LongMozart

Hi there

We are looking for a good rain system. I wonder if your rain feature automatically supports "wet surface" effects, ripple effect, water running down non-horizontal surfaces, and rain occlusion effect (no rain for indoor areas)?

16. BHS

BHS

@liverol We don't have an approximate time, but we're done with the pro UniStorm script, so we just have to convert one for indie, create a detailed documentation, and do final checks and debugging. I'd say no more than a week.

@LongMozart I'm not sure what you mean by wet surface effects, but do we have rain ripples and splashes, and rain occlusion for our system. The other features you have listed could always be added to a future update. We're always improving and adding to UniStorm.

17. aspide

aspide

I suppose tha LongMozart wants to see something like rainscape did

Here is the link http://u3d.as/content/ashnfara/rainscape/1Aj

but let me say that Unistorm IMHO whilst doesn't have AFAIK this neat effect is the most powerful storm solution floating on the asset store.

18. BHS

BHS

@Aspide Thanks, glad you think so.

@LongMozart Actually, after playing the RainScape demo, if RainScape is a Unity particle system, even with scrips, it should be able to work with UniStorm. You would just attach the RainScape system to the rain game object slot in the UniStorm editor and it would control it accordingly.

19. liverolA

liverolA

Just got a license,hope the 1.4 will be out soon!

20. BHS

BHS

@liverol Awesome, we're working hard to get it done asap.

21. BHS

BHS

We've added clear to the forecast allowing for crystal clear nights and being able to truly enjoy the star and moon systems. This adds more realism to the system because now it can start raining on a clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, or foggy day, at any hour, on any day and vice versa for each forecast making the system even more dynamic and unpredictable.

There's 6 forecasts and a combination of 30 weather transitions, example: partly cloudy to clear, clear to rainy, rainy to foggy, mostly cloudy to partly cloudy, mostly cloudy to stormy, stormy to clear, ect...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  22. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Very much looking forward to 1.4 :)

23. virror

virror

Yay, clear skies. Now i can finally enjoy a day on the beach ; )

24. BHS

BHS

Also added a dripping rain on screen effect for when it rains or storms for added realism (pro only). We'll be releasing another video of the above along with the proper tweaks like stated before within a few hours.

We're excited to release 1.4 we're getting close!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  25. BHS

BHS

A video showing off the rain on screen effect as well as other improvements and adjustments to the system. Feedback would be appreciated.

I don't know if we have stated this before, but our storm system does work with billboarded trees, which is a problem some other systems have had. We finished writing the script to do so, but forgot to add it to the system, so it's not in the above video. We will do a separate video to show how it works later today.

26. tripknotix

tripknotix

looks great man, i would just love to see it released lol, i hope this update required the long delay or else you couldve done a 1.3, 1.35, 1.36 ..ect =P

More frequent updates is probably more interesting to us then larger updates, like browsers that release updates often instead of 3-4 times a year, it gains popularity.

Every time you add a new feature, that gives brand new attention to the product, blog posts, twitter posts, games showing the use of the newest feature. And this will happen every single time you post an update.

Your best bet is to send up these updates so that there is more internet buzz about "the newest feature in unistorm" instead of, "A whole bunch of features that we cant fit inside of a "title" of a post or comment".

Heres an example "Unistorm v1.31 adds Day Night Time effect" blogs, twitters, forum posts, game updates all posting on day 51

then "Unistorm v1.35 adds Wind Effects to your terrain" on day 58

then "Unistorm v1.38 adds Star system to clear skies" on day 65

instead, right now, your getting buzz whenever someone happens to be using your product, or happens to discover it, or there happens to be a new comment on this forum.

just a suggestion =)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  27. BHS

BHS

@tripknotix I see your reasoning, but there can be a median with it. No one wants to update their project from the asset store every week because it would be a pain, especially when the system would be in another project. I do agree that we can save some stuff for future updates, but a lot of the stuff is essential to the system's success. We want it to be flawless and the only way we can do so efficiently is adding everything for the 1.4 release. If we leave things unfinished or things where customers would say "you should have done this or added this" then our system would have some flaws. We have had a lot of suggestions to the system and we're trying to add them the best we can. This system is very advanced and if we don't add things now, and keep track of them, then those great ideas could be lost and never added. The system is over 1,200 lines and 30,000 characters so it's a lot to have to sort through and make things work, so why not do it now in the development stage? This is a huge transition from just a lightning and thunder system to what it is now. Trust me it will be worth the wait, we are trying to eliminate issues like UniSky had where they always had people having issues. We want there to be no issues or bugs, period. Now, we are almost finished with 1.4 and our timing is on track. We will try not to release so many features all at one time by the next update, we'll add them slowly, but not once a week, that's too frequently. Thanks for the suggestion though.

28. liverolA

liverolA

@Black Horizon Studios
    Totaly agree,
    we need a complete kit,not a updating one,or you 'll need to change your code every week!!

29. BHS

BHS

We've been testing our system on the indie version of Unity and first of all, the desktop showed we were getting 163 fps which is great.

Second, I guess you don't have to have the pro version of Unity to run the UniStorm system with pro effects. All it does is disable them, so we don't have to rewrite UniStorm to make a indie version. This means we will be able to release UniStorm within a few days as long as that's okay with the buyers? There isn't really a point of rewriting UniStorm for the indie version because there are no errors, we thought there were going to be, but since Unity disables the pro image effects automatically were all set.

We will start working on the documentation then we will submit UniStorm 1.4 to the Asset Store!

30. tripknotix

tripknotix

@black horizon studios
    sounds good, that's the same thing you would be doing for indie anyway is disabling the effects.

@liverol
    i don't agree,
    it is a complete kit, even while adding newer features, past, present, and future. And you DONT NEED to change your code EVERY WEEK!!!!

its an option for you to update, no ones forcing you to update, you can wait till there are 10 features added before you update.

the rest of us will get the benefit of being able to update whenever we want. and post our screen shots, game posts, blog updates, twitter messages, and brag about the new feature on our facebooks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  31. BHS

BHS

So we're at the final stage of preparing UniStorm 1.4 for submission, but there are a few questions.

Would you guys prefer a Unity Package File that contains the UniStorm 1.4 so you can just import it directly into your projects or a blank project, or UniStorm 1.4 as a whole Unity project like how it is now?

If we are going to use the same Unity project we need to remove some assets first, but we're not sure how this will affect the old UniStorm 1.2, especially if you guys have created content within that project. We have tried contacting Unity, but have still not got a reply so were at a standstill with the above until they reply.

Also we added a user input to UniStom for the max amount of particles during light rain and storms so you don't have to alter any code. If you need to change the particle amount you just type it in withing the editor. This allows the buyer to tweak UniStorm to keep draw calls lower if needed, but our settings are optimized to run efficiently and look good.

32. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I'd prefer it as a package, so I can easily add it to existing work.

33. RoyS

RoyS

Like how it is now. We can always remove things, save it with the items removed and reimport it into our own projects. With how it is now, we can go back and see how it was constructed and backwards engineer how it was done, in case we run into any issues.

34. BHS

BHS

@RoyS Well a package file would be the exact same and the easiest. What we would suggest is just importing the package file into a new project and it would be the same as having it how it is now. We'd like to just remove everything from the 1.2 project and just have the package file. If you wish to do what you said above you still can by importing the package file into a blank project. Then you use whatever you'd like or create your own package file to import into your project.

We're including the demo shown in the video so everyone can see how everything works and have also created a prefaced system. Our documentation will cover everything.

35. roguemonkey

roguemonkey

I would be fine with either, but I do clean up or not import the standard assets (for example) when I import the package. When I get more than one Standards Assets folder in the project with the same script names all over the place, I get errors/warnings. Great work so far and I am looking forward to this big update.

36. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

I gotta say this is looking pretty amazing, and I'm hoping the performance really is better than Unisky. I'm definitely purchasing this to give it a spin. I'll do a comparison with UniSky once 1.4 is out.

37. BHS

BHS

@DigitakGlass Thanks, yes you will find that our system performs better than UniSky, says our reviews and the people who have used it comparing the two.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  38. tripknotix

tripknotix

What I've seen other projects do, is leave it how you have it now, except, they copy paste the standard assets and rename the scripts. for example MouseLook.cs becomes MouseLookUS.cs and FPSInputController.cs would become FPSInputControllerUS.cs , this is a common practice I've noticed in at least 4 packages. and everything imports without errors, and its literally drag and drop to make it work, the difference with you current setup, is the errors you get from duplicate files.

39. BHS

BHS

@tripnotix thanks for the tips we'll do this.

We still haven't gotten an email reply from Unity so we're just gonna go with updating the old 1.2 project and remove what isn't needed. Since some of the assests are the same as 1.4 and just updated there shouldn't be any problems.

We will keep a full back up of UniStorm 1.2 just in case there are any issues though.

We will try to submit UniStorm 1.4 by the end of today.

40. houndie

houndie

So if I were to re-download 1.2 the updates for 1.4 will be in there?

41. BHS

BHS

No, 1.4 hasn't been submitted yet, we're trying, but yes to get an update you just re-download it.

We're still trying to make everything work without causing errors and it doesn't help that Unity hasn't replied to our 3 email. It is very unprofessional so you guys can thank them for the delay. We would have already submitted it by now, if they had just answered a few questions we had.

What we will probably do is just replace everything in the 1.2 with the new 1.4 assets. You guys won't need the old scenes anymore so everything should be fine. This is what's taking more time, we have to blindly figure this out because Unity won't reply to our emails.

42. RoyS

RoyS

Was UniStorm v1.3.x ever released? I just checked and my updates are still on UniStorm v1.2.1 as being the latest.

43. virror

virror

I don't think so. they went straight from 1.2 to 1.4.

44. BHS

BHS

@Virror RoyS Yes, we went strait from 1.2 to 1.4.

We're finishing up and getting ready to submit UniStorm 1.4, but there's a few things we're going to explain.

We will only include the documentation to UniStorm 1.4 to those we can verify though invoice that their purchase is legitimate through the Asset Store. We will also include extras to whoever wants them such as tutorials, documentations, and video tutorials. If you purchased UniStorm through the Asset Store you should have no problems with this. We sorry we have to do it this way, but this makes it more difficult for people to illegally give out copies of UniStorm, which we are having a problem with.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  45. virror

virror

So, how do we do this?

46. artzfx

artzfx

I wondered if snowfall (including settling on the ground) is planned as a future feature for UniStorm? Thanks.

47. BHS

BHS

@Virror The invoice number is the number that is generated when you make your purchase. All you have to to is email us that invoice number and we will check it to make sure you purchased a copy of UniStorm. As soon as we see the sale is legitimate through the Asset Store's "verify invoice number" we'll send you the documentation through the email you sent the invoice number to.

@artzfx Yes, this will be a future feature of UniStorm. We already have a prototype shader that shades and stacks snow similar to Skyrim based on if it's snowing or not. There will also be seasons with temperatures.

48. BHS

BHS

@Virror The invoice number is the number that is generated when you make your purchase. All you have to to is email us that invoice number and we will check it to make sure you purchased a copy of UniStorm. As soon as we see the sale is legitimate through the Asset Store's "verify invoice number" we'll send you the documentation through the email you sent the invoice number to.

@artzfx Yes, this will be a future feature of UniStorm. We already have a prototype shader that shades and stacks snow similar to Skyrim based on if it's snowing or not. There will also be seasons with temperatures.

49. artzfx

artzfx

Brilliant, sounds great :)

50. liverolA

liverolA

I didnot keep the sales emails because there were too many i deleted most of them(I paid for others assets),but i can offer the paypal record details(The only trans ID and detail time)! is this ok for doc? Also you can verify my email adress!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012