Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jaijai76

jaijai76

I have found a few bugs in DX11. In DX11 the horizon is the same colour as fog and the sky doesn't change colour around the sun at dawn/dusk. So far DX11 has casued a lot of problems for me, does it cause problems for anybody else?

2. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Achhhh. My bad: dynamic shadows, Sorry.

3. Kivak

Kivak

Hi there!

Is there any way to add UniStorm to a project but not have to put the player object as a child of the UniStorm Prefab? That causes a lot of problems for me (and potential conflict with other addons).

The game that I am building uses the 3rd-person perspective. So my camera is a child of the character object hovering back about 10 units and up about 4 units pointed at the character. Is there any way to do this by adding scripts to the camera only?

Thanks!
    -Mark

4. BHS

BHS

Yes, it is covered in the documentation under Using a 3rd Person Camera with UniStorm.

Also, you don't have to have the player as a child of UniStorm. This is simply for the simplicity of the prefab.

5. Kivak

Kivak

Hi there!

I followed those instructions and they did not work for me. I have a dynamically instantiated player object. But I solved the problem by assigning the Weather system's target particle objects adhoc to the player.

Thanks!
    -Mark

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  6. noanoa

noanoa

When I was looking at profiler, I noticed Unistorm is making a hundred of objects per second and they don't seem to be getting garbage collected, thus freezing unity after play mode if you play for long time(5min+). What could be causing the problem?

7. BHS

BHS

We have never experienced this issue even while testing for 45+ mins of development. You would need to supply more information so we can figure out what's causing the issue. As of right now it sounds like an isolated issue.

What was the weather type? What was the time of day? What objects are being spawned? (The only objects that are spawned with Unity are lightning bolts and that's controlled) What version of Unity and UniStorm are you using? Have you modified any UniStorm scripts?

If you could supply the above info it would help.

8. noanoa

noanoa

I have made a new project with only unistorm installed and modified day length from 2000 to 20 to speed things up. On the c# demo scene, after 5min, the total objects(not game objects) in the scene hit 20000 on the profiler. Calling GC.Collect() had no effect.

However, it didn't seem to freeze unity on exiting play mode. I'm not sure if it's because the test project is too small compared to my other project or if ithe freeze was caused by other assets in my project and "the total objects" in the scene doesn't matter much.

[Edit](Solved) Ah, after looking at the profiler again, figured out those objects which keep spawning are "materials"(from moon).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. BHS

BHS

Thanks, we will take a look at this.

10. BHS

BHS

We are hard at work with 1.7.5 for UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile. It shouldn't be too much longer until everything is finished. We have some exciting new features coming to 1.7.5 and one of those features is dynamic clouds.

These videos demonstrate the new dynamic cloud system, currently in development, that UniStorm 1.7.5 will be using. These videos were recorded using only Unity Free. The game speed has been increased to see the dynamic clouds feature.

The new dynamic clouds have much more of a natural feel to that of the previous scrolling clouds. These clouds were developed to perform just as well as the cloud shaders in the past version so they should perform well on UniStorm Mobile as well. Keep in mind this new feature is still in development.

Please share your feedback.

New video added showing a Thunder Storm generated with UniStorm's new dynamic cloud system.

(Video has been updated to better show the dynamic clouds)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  11. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

That looks like a very interesting addition to the system. It definitely has a more organic feel than scrolling clouds. Would it be possible to see a demo with heavier cloud cover? Also, is shuriken support still planned for 1.7.5?

Thanks! Keep up the good work!

12. BHS

BHS

Yes, here's a quick test of a storm generated with UniStorm's new dynamic clouds. Keep in mind this is still in development and being tweaked. The game speed has been increased to show the dynamic clouds.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  13. jlavoie_us

jlavoie_us

Hello. I'm not sure if it's a current feature in Unistorm.. But if it isn't it would be a great function to be added:
    Is there a way to "know in advance" the weather that will be generated by the weather generation engine for the next weather cycle ? Would also be nice to know in how much time the weather will change.
    The reason for my request is for my game where the player can react and prepare for an upcoming storm. For this to be possible, the game engine has to know which kind of weather is coming.

Thank you in advance for the clarification !
    Great product !
    JP Lavoie

14. BHS

BHS

Hi there,

This isn't a current UniStorm feature, but it wouldn't be hard to add. An early indication of an incoming storm could be something that could be enabled or disabled via the UniStorm Editor.

We've been thinking about tweaking the weather generating algorithm anyways so it's something we can think of while doing so. Our plan is to give the user more control over how often the weather is updated. We also plan on making more realistic weather generation based on more features set within the UniStorm Editor.

Thanks for the suggestion. We will be sure to see that it makes it in for UniStorm 1.7.5.

15. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We have had a lot of feedback to have improved documentation and we have done just that, if not better.

We're excited to release our new Official UniStorm Wiki site!

The UniStorm Wiki is constantly being updated with new information, and because it's online, you will always have the most current up to date documentation. (Keep in mind we are still developing this site and there's tons of information to add)

One of the best things about the UniStorm Wiki site is the Code Reference page that gives tons of details on all the variables with descriptions and code examples.

We have also added an Examples page that gives you tons of scripts that you can use with UniStorm. We are opening this to the public so other users who use UniStorm can add "UniStorm Helper Scripts" to this page. However, we ask that you do not post original UniStorm Code there. It's strictly for UniStorm helper scripts such as AI using UniStorm, turning on lights at night using UniStorm, changing the weather via script, ect.

We hope everyone likes this nice addition to the UniStorm Weather System. We're sure it'll help our customers get the most out of our weather system.

Feedback and suggestions for the UniStorm Wiki would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  16. fredr92

fredr92

Hi,

Im using this system and have used it for a year soon and im very happy With it.
    I have said this before and i hope you will listen this time. Please update the obsolete old active code With the New correct. its annoying too have 50 Messages With that in the console, i have fixed it myself a couple off times and everytime it comes a New update i have too do it again, so now im asking you if you can please fix this once and for all !

17. BHS

BHS

We have fixed this with upcoming 1.7.5 update so you won't have to worry about it again.

18. Kivak

Kivak

Hi there!

Wondering if there is a way to completely disable fog during clear days. I have terrain that extends for 10km and I want it to be visible. :)

Thanks!
    -Mark

19. FlarePoint

FlarePoint

Thank you for this, although i inserted the Light and UniStormSystemEditor into the required field's and it says 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' and the light never turns on.

20. BHS

BHS

Yes, our UniStorm Wiki Code Reference page will discuss the Fog variables here:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#Fog

You would just adjust the variables discussed above during the clear weather types which are weatherForecaster 7 and 8. More information is explained here:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#Weather

We also went ahead and added an example script of a weather related event here:
    http://unistormweathersystem.wikia.com/wiki/Example_Scripts#Have_an_Event_Happen_During_a_Certain_Weather_Type

I just tested this and it works. You must not have applied the proper UniStorm GameObject with the UniStorm system script on it.

What we did was modify our script so it automatically detect UniStorm on start so you don't have to worry about applying the GameObject. Make sure you are using the JS version as this is a JS script. Apply your light and UniStorm will enable and disable it at night.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. //JavaScript
    2. //UniStorm lights at night
    3. //Put your light that you want activated at night here
    4. var nightLight : GameObject;
    5. //Put the object that has the UniStorm System script here
    6. var uniStormScript : UniStormWeatherSystem_JS;
    8. function Start ()
    9. {
    10.     uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormParent_JS/UniStormSystemEditor");
    11. }
    12. function Update ()
    13. {
    14.      //If in-game hours are betwen 8:00 pm and 5:00 am activate night lights
    15.         if (uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 19 && uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 24 || uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 0 && uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 5)
    16.         {    
    17.                nightLight.active = true;
    18.         }
    20.         //If in-game hours are betwen 6:00 am and 7:00 pm deactivate night lights
    21.         if (uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 18  && uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 6)
    22.         {
    23.                nightLight.active = false;
    24.         }
    25. }

21. FlarePoint

FlarePoint

Hello, thank you for the fast reply. Unfortunately I still cant get it to work in my game, I now get this message:
    Assets/nightlight.js(12,5): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'uniStormSystem'

I even started a new project just to test it out in case it was something to do with my project. Also am I supposed to have '#pragma strict' at the top of the JS?

Thanks.

22. BHS

BHS

My mistake, it's been a long day.

Change this:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. var uniStormScript : UniStormWeatherSystem_JS;
    To this:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. var uniStormScript : GameObject;
    You can remove the #pragma strict you don't need it.

23. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Just wanted to say thanks for such a great asset. The new help wiki is a great addition and will make life easier for us.

Looking forward to new updated version.
    keep up the good work!!

24. Kivak

Kivak

Great! Thanks a lot!

Also... is there a way to, via code, set the time of day and date? I have the following code:

Code (csharp):
    2. uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor");
    3.    uniStormSystemEditor = uniStormSystem.GetComponent(UniStormWeatherSystem_JS);
    5.    if( uniStormSystemEditor != null ) {
    6.      uniStormSystemEditor.minuteCounter = newMinuteCounter;
    7.      uniStormSystemEditor.hourCounter = newHourCounter;
    8.      uniStormSystemEditor.dayCounter = newDayCounter;
    9.      uniStormSystemEditor.monthCounter = newMonthCounter;
    10.      uniStormSystemEditor.yearCounter = newYearCounter;
    11.      uniStormSystemEditor.dayLength = newDayLength;
    12.      uniStormSystemEditor.weatherForecaster = newWeatherForecaster;
    13.    }
    And this does not work even thought all the values are correct and it appears that the editor is set. However, the editor just over-writes them the next moment. I saw on the first page that we would eventually be able to do that with 1.7.5 which isn't out yet... but I have also seen that people are getting a multiplayer sync to work... I am not sure how they can do that unless they can edit the values.

Some help? :)

Thanks!
    -Mark

25. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

I cannot find sky sphere, lightning light, weahter sound effect, and lightning bolt spawn gameobjects. Where are they and why are they not assigned in the prefab by default?

26. BHS

BHS

They are, I have no idea why they aren't for yours. You should be able to go to UniStorm> create system> then choose your version. It then spawns the UniStorm System right in your scene with everything applied.

Try re importing the system. Are you getting any errors? Whey version of UniStorm are you using?

27. Kivak

Kivak

BHS: Any reason why no response to my question a few days ago (3 posts up made on July 28th)? :)

28. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

UniStormPrefab_C# seems to be missing those components. UniStromPrefab_C got them aswell as the object created via dropdown window. Please remove that prefab, if you don't use it as it invokes confusion.

Thank you.

Edit:

I just imported easyroads pro and for some reason Gradient Shader throws an error.
    line 31 'vert': output parameter 'o' not completely initialized

Reimporting the shader makes no difference.

29. BHS

BHS

You can adjust the starting time of day by changing the startTime variable. It has a max value of 1. As of 1.7.5 we are working on implementing a better way to adjust the start time.

We have tested the same UniStorm version from the Asset Store and have not been able to receive an error regarding missing references or components to our prefab. So, in your situation, I'm not really sure what's causing the issue, you are the first one to have it. We will look into it though.

As for the shader issue, it's due to the newer version of Unity. Do the following:

Add this code to line 32:
    UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,o);

30. Maya2001

Maya2001

But what about the Dynamic Snow? Like this

Are you guys going to add that in 1.7.5 as well? Please...pleaaaaaaaassssse do... i've been dying to make snow like this... =(

31. BHS

BHS

We will try. We would have to rewrite the terrain snow shader to be compatible with the JS version of UniStorm. We're almost finished with 1.7.5 so we don't want to delay it, which I'm sure others will agree.

32. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

For now, restarting Unity solves the issue. I rather refrain from hacking third party code. Would it bother you too much to add it sometime in the future?

33. insiderrr

insiderrr

Will there also be a fix for oculus rift support ? I already posted a bug report about this addon. In fact most of the things work, but when attatching image effects, there are issues. i also tested the new DK2, same problem. Issue seems to be in the Unistormsystemeditor when you select the camera object. Because there are two camera's when working with the rift it acts weird when selecting left or right.

I love the unistorm asset, but now i can't work with it, i hope you guys will take a look at it.

34. Kivak

Kivak

UniStorm is playing a large (huge?) part in the realism of the game I am creating. With 1.7.5 right around the corner, I am curious as to how much development time I can spend on its integration into other elements of the game (i.e. Terrain shaders and character attributes). Do you plan to keep the weather objects (butterflies, rain, snow, etc) publically exposed and in similar fashion as the current version? Also, when you say "not too much longer" before it is ready do you mean within a couple weeks? Or months? I am just trying to gadge a little on my own game's development timeline if that's possible.

Thanks for any input! :)
    -Mark

35. BHS

BHS

Yes, we are working to fully support for OR. Now that we know it's due to there being 2 cameras we can add an option to the UniStorm Editor to use OR or not.

We are keeping all variables accessible just as they have been in previous versions.

For a realistic time frame until we release UniStorm 1.7.5 I would say no more than 3 weeks. We will be posting the list of the updates and changes soon.

36. melonhead

melonhead

recently purchased unistorm 1.7 for the c# version but seems that it still accesses js scripts in some of the systems why is this not all in c#, also why is there no rain on screen effect as in the 1.4 version? will this be back for 1.7.5

overall a good asset and runs very effectively well worth the money, better multi camera support would be good though.

also the package always seems to load in with the rain system not in the hierachy untill it is clicked on in the inspector and the splash effect script is always turned off by default.

37. melonhead

melonhead

Had unistorm now for 2 days thought i would try the snow.... no snow it still rains in winter, where is the snow, unistorm advertised with snow? also why is the c# script version 1.6.3 if this is meant to be 1.7, atleast this should have been updated to 1.7... bit sloppy there.

38. BHS

BHS

It has to be 32 degrees or below for it to snow. It wouldn't be that realistic if it was snowing when it was 50 degrees.

Pay no attention to the version number on the script. The script is the most current version.

39. Kivak

Kivak

Snow in UniStorm is fantastic!

This uses RTPv3 terrain shaders for the snow on the ground. But the snow in the air is all UniStorm. :)

red2blue likes this.
  40. melonhead

melonhead

must apologize, managed to get the snow working, turned out the winter temperatures were set too high for some reason straight from import hence no snow so now adjusted, it does look bloody good..

41. fredr92

fredr92

Hi, im trying too force unistorm to make it rain and make a thunderstorm.
    Can someone tell what settings i should use too make it sure it will rain ?

I tried different temperatures and different sessions, and i have the rain and snow particles correctly placed ( it worked in earlier unistorm) .

and i would appreciate if we can have a status update when we can expect the new unistorm update? (Im thinkin mostly on the updated code so we dont get these obsolete warnings)

Thanks

42. BHS

BHS

It should be easy to force the rain weather type. Using our easy to use UniStorm Wiki site will help explain all of UniStorm's components and tools.

If you want it change the weather type in-game, you will need to make sure the WCPS is enabled. This allows you to change the weather type according to the WCPS List via a GUI which can be found and explained here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#GUI (If you want Thunder Storms the WCPS number is 03)

If you want to change the weather via the UniStorm Editor, you would simply use the pull down menu within the editor under Sky Options.

If you can't see the particle effects I'm going to assume you are using the UFPS Camera system. If you are, follow these simple steps here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_with_Ultimate_FPS_Camera_.28UFPS.29

As for a status update for UniStorm 1.7.5 we are finishing the final touches on the update. It should be submitted next week sometime. The obsolete warnings are fixed as well as a ton of new features and improvements. We will be releasing an update list sometime today to show all the new features and improvements.

43. BHS

BHS

We are putting the finishing touches on UniStorm 1.7.5. We have a ton of new awesome features and additions to the UniStorm system. UniStorm will be submitted early next week. The demo video for 1.7.5 is almost finished.

One exciting new feature is the dynamically generated precipitation. This new feature has been added to better add to realism. Now no storm will ever be the same because all precipitation is generated, not preset. Now when a thunder storm happens there can be a steady rain or a torrential downpour. This option can be enabled or disabled if desired.

Another new exciting tool is the Sound Manager which has been added to the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to set an array of sounds that will play dynamically for each time of each day according to the min and max seconds set within the editor (A different list for morning, day, evening, and night) An example for this could be birds in the morning and evening, wind during the day, and crickets at night. UniStorm will pick from an endless selection of sounds (for each time of day) that will play throughout the day and night.

We are also looking to support Shuriken Particle effects. However, this would require a move to at least Unity 4.3 meaning we wouldn't support Unity 3+. This is why we have decided to hold off on this feature until we can do a poll to see if enough people are interested to make the switch.

Here's a list of all the new features and improvements. We hope everyone is looking forward to 1.7.5.

UniStorm 1.7.5

New Features:
    * UniStorm now uses dynamic clouds, both for clear and for stormy weather types.
    * Clouds how fade out gradually along the horizon, the mask height of this can be adjusted. This allows clouds to fade out along the horizon greatly adding to realism.
    * Now that storm clouds are dynamic they tend to form much more realistically when transitioning to stormy and to clear weather types.
    * Storm clouds look fuller and more dense with more complex shading for all times of day. Storm clouds also have greatly improved shading when lightning strikes.
    * Stars are now faded according to the time of day. Starting at dusk they will now gradually fade in as it gets darker. Starting at early morning they will slowly fade away. This allows stars to be barely visible at late sunrise and early sunset which greatly adds to realism.
    * Dynamically generated precipitation has been added to better add to realism. Now no storm will ever be the same. Precipitation weather types are the only weather types being affected. (Light Rain and Snow, Heavy Rain and Snow, and Thunder Storms) Now when a thunder storm happens there can be a steady rain or a torrential downpour. This option can be enabled or disabled and is adjustable via the max precipitation values within the editor.
    * Sound Manager has been added to the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to set an array of sounds that will play dynamically for each time of each day according to the min and max seconds set within the editor (One for morning, day, evening, and night) An example for this could be birds in the morning and evening, wind during the day, and crickets at night. UniStorm will pick from an endless selection of sounds (for each time of day) that will play throughout the day and night.
    * We have also added an option (when using the new Sound Manager) to have precipitation weather types overrun this (if desired) to have dynamic weather sounds play during particular weather types (wind gusts, wind howls, birds, water splashes, creaks, animal noises, you name it). The Sound Manager allows for true dynamic gameplay making each play truly unique and realistic.
    * UniStorm Wiki site (added to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu) gives you access to UniStorm's Online Wiki documentation, code examples, script references, and tutorials. This site is always being updated with new content and information to help you get the most out of UniStorm.
    * New and improved particle effects for all precipitation weather types.
    * A sun glare effect has been added and is greatly improved compared to the previous sun, this feature can be disabled if desired.

Improvements/Fixes:
    * The Sun's algorithm has been completely rewritten. The Y axis can now be rotated 360 degrees allowing you to choose where the sun rises and where it sets. You are no longer restricted of the sun's rotation.
    * The time of day has been recalculated to be much more realistic and accurate. Morning starts at around 6 am and evening at around 7 pm (this is an on going task we're working on full longitude, latitude & time zone support soon).
    * The Moon now gradually fades in for evening and fades out for morning. This, along with the feature below, allows a very realistic transition.
    * The Moon's light intensity is now faded in or out according to the time of day (late evening and early morning). This allows a seamless and realistic blend between night and morning, and between evening and night, as well as a early morning/twilight effect.
    * Day length has been converted into minutes instead of seconds.
    * Fixed the obsolete warning messages

Newly added features to the UniStorm Editor:
    * Added an option to enable or disable Dynamically Generated Precipitation
    * Added Moonlight color option to editor
    * Added Moonlight intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added UniStorm Wiki documentation to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu.

44. Kivak

Kivak

One word: AWESOME!!! I can't wait until this is released. I am also super excited for latitudinal support for sunrise/set (hopefully soon? :) ). Great additions!!!

45. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

The list of features and improvements looks great! But I was really looking forward to shuriken particle support. If you want to support both 3.x and the new features of 4.x+ perhaps you could include two packages in the asset store package: one for 3.x and one for 4.x+. I have a number of items from the asset store that use solutions similar to that in order to include multiple versions of the asset.

46. melonhead

melonhead

is the rain on screen effect back for 1.7.5???

47. fredr92

fredr92

That's alot to look forward too, good work BHS

48. BHS

BHS

We will definitely consider adding a packaged shuriken version for users who want this feature in a future version.

No, but it's something we can add in the next version.

49. BHS

BHS

Just though we'd let everyone know UniStorm 1.7.5 has been submitted!

50. Kivak

Kivak

Can't wait!!

*begins smashing the "refresh" button on the store page*