Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. noanoa

noanoa

Is there any way to restrict trees from having very long shadows when sun rise/set? They look crazy when in the morning and in the evening and kinda creepy watching tree shadows grow so long until the sun fades.

2. jaijai76

jaijai76

I have a problem with the difference when i change my lighting between gamma and linear. I want unistorm to look like it does on gamma but want to use linear lighting. It just looks really different and not as good in linear even tho its the superior lighting setting.

3. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I don't know if this is again an import issue by the asset store, but the documentation that comes with the 1.7 is the 1.64 documentation and does not include how to set up the weather zones.
    Any place I can find the current Documentation and instruction on how to set up the weather zones?

4. vegenarie

vegenarie

Sun shafts that can be seen in the videos work for Unity basic?
    All source code can be seen? or part is in dlls ?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. BHS

BHS

It depends on your scene. If you have mountains or hills east and west, even small ones, you won't get as long of shadows due to the hills or mountains casting shadows during the morning and evening hours.

Can you explain further? I'm not sure what you're asking.

If I understood right, you need to adjust the color and brightness settings of the UniStorm system. When using gamma lighting it tends to make things much brighter. So to compensate you will need to make the colors darker. Adjusting the sun color and the ambient lighting will most likely help you balance things out.

This is because we are working on an online documentation so we can add to it with no need for updates or confusion. If you go to UniStorm>Documentation it will bring you to our website containing the online documentation. We will be adding information on weather zones soon.

Sun Shafts are a Unity Pro only feature. There is no dll all the source code can be seen.

6. jaijai76

jaijai76

I figured that out yesterday, now i want to know how to change the sun. You will have to look at the difference yourself because i cant figure out how to use images from my pc with this slightly new chat

Thanks for the reply on my last post

7. gastrop0d

gastrop0d

I'm looking to use Unistorm for a strategy/sim. Is there a way I can get Unistorm to do the following:
    • Light is unchanging (always daytime)
    • Weather changes (random rain, storms, snow, etc)
    • Seasons change (with changes to temperature and weather odds)
    • Months are less than 31 days
    Very cool asset, btw.

8. jaijai76

jaijai76

In unistorm (as somebody who owns unistorm) i know for fact that you can do the first 3, not sure if weather odds change in different seasons but i'm sure they do, i don't know if you can change how long a month lasts tho(i think there 31 days or less anyways) you can also change how long a day is.

9. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Hi there! When using unistorm, and using linear color space instead of gamma, after a little time my cloud layer disappears. dx11

any setting i'm missing to be able to use linear?

10. julianr

julianr

Hi, UniStorm is great. I have two issues so far is that I can't hear any thunder or see any lightning effects. I'm using UFPS and UniStorm together, plus set the GO layer default in script and I get rain and rain sounds no problem, but after selecting Thunderstorm in the editor no thunder or lightning flashes like in the demo scene provided. Particles are under the FPSCamera as children. Any Help would be much appreciated!

Using Unity Pro.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  11. GameTech

GameTech

I also use UFPS and Unistorm. It might be because UFPS changes the layer of children, check after starting the game that the layer of the particles are as expected.

12. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

All of the shadows for everything are jumping around, jerking, spasming, flicking not sure how to describe it. Especially for the trees. But it happens to all shadows.

Its not running choppy or anything like that. And the graphics quality is maxed. Have a good system.

Any idea how to calm the shadows down?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  13. julianr

julianr

Hi GameTech - thanks for your reply. I'll give it a go.. I have a feeling I may have only added in the rain game object to the default layer, even though they all show up as default on the editor at runtime.

edit: all sorted now thanks!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  14. insiderrr

insiderrr

Hi all,

Working with unistorm for some days now and it's great. I worked with a couple of weather systems, and this is by far one of the best, so keep up the great work.

Yesterday i started to combine the oculus rift with my scene. This always works, never had problems. but now with unistorm there is something weird going on.

When i apply the rift everything works fine, but after saving the project and restarting unity, the right eye view is broken. I tested this without unistorm and combined. when i remove unistorm, everything works fine, but when i integrate unistorm and restart unity, this issue shows up.

No idea why this happens, anyone any idea?

Attached Files:

15. Ascensi

Ascensi

This may be the same kind of issue I reported using side-by-side Stereoscopic view on my 3D monitor.. either the one side is broken and/or the game will just freeze. When I removed the script the game had once, oddly resumed locked in the stereoscopic view or broken.. one side becomes black. The Unistorm dev had stated at that time/post that rift users had reported no problems. I hope this issue is resolved for both issues hopefully it's an easy fix updated soon.

16. insiderrr

insiderrr

Did some more tests, and i'm sure unistorm does not work with oculus rift, trying to find the bug, but it really ruins the scene when working with it. i work also with other weather systems in unity, they work perfect with oculus, no idea why this is buggy.

i also readed that they had no problems with oculus, thats why i bought this asset, but there are problems, hope there will be a fix soon.

17. BHS

BHS

The clouds will update based on the weather type. Some weather types use different cloud domes so when this happens they change cloud layers by disabling some of the other layers.

The particle effects are spawned according to the spawn system within the player. You shouldn't have any particles attached to your player. Particles need to be in prefab form. The spawn system will spawn the prefab particles according to the spawn system.

You also need to have these effects and particle's layers set to a layer at start because the UFPS camera sets them as a blank layers on awake.

Strange, they aren't glitchy when we test it. Could you supply some form of an example?

What's the speed of your time of day set to? Try setting your shadow cascades and shadow projections higher should smooth out your shadow flickering.

We have had other customers state that OR works fine with UniStorm, but we will look for a solution to your issue. It might have something to do with the Unity cameras being called from within the UniStorm system script. I'm sure there's a solution, we just need to figure out what's causing the issue.

Do you use different cameras for OR? Do you get any errors when you run the scene?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  18. FlarePoint

FlarePoint

Hello,
    Just wondering if theres any tutorials or anything on setting up a light to turn on during the night, i'm a bit confused.

Thanks.

19. BHS

BHS

Here's an example that turns on a light at night and turns it off during the day, it's in JavaScript, I'm not really sure why it's saying it's in C#.

Code (csharp):
    3. //JavaScript
    4. //UniStorm lights at night
    6. //Put your light that you want activated at night here
    7. var nightLight : GameObject;
    9. //Put the object that has the UniStorm System script here
    10. var uniStormScript : UniStormWeatherSystem_JS;
    12. function Update () {
    14.      //If in-game hours are betwen 8:00 pm and 5:00 am activate night lights
    15.         if (uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 19 && uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 24 || uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 0 && uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 5)
    16.         {          
    17.                nightLight.active = true;
    18.            }
    20.         //If in-game hours are betwen 6:00 am and 7:00 pm deactivate night lights
    21.         if (uniStormScript.hourCounter <= 18  && uniStormScript.hourCounter >= 6)
    22.         {
    23.                nightLight.active = false;
    24. }

20. insiderrr

insiderrr

thanx for the replay,

The problem is fixed, you have to import the oculus camera first before importing unistorm. If you don't do this the right way you have to re-import the oculus settings.

I think everything works fine now, only the sun shafts + global fog won't work with the oculus camera. i did exactly the same setting that are diplayed in the documentation file. when you play the scene the shafts do not move with the sun/moon light. the global fog even ruins the scene

Anyone having the same problems ?

21. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

Hi again , been a long time since i last checked this thread
    Say, does Unistorm allow changing all axes by now? When I bought it a while ago, I had the problem with confused directions (the sun rose in the west instead of east) due to my main model and terrain being set up in the wrong way It would be easy to change the direction of my model, but I cannot turn a terrain. So i need to change the direction of sun and moon by rotating the whole sky dome. Is that possible by now?

THanks for your time.

22. BHS

BHS

Great to hear you found a fix.

Does OR usually work with those image effects? I know that they use render textures so that coukd be why. I'm not that familiar with OR.

Not with the current version, but we are currently working on this feature for the next update.

23. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

@BHS didnt you said you will work on unistorm mobile update after 1.7 is released? something like 8 months ago. or is it an adandonware now?

24. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile is not abandoned. We are working on it simultaneously with UniStorm Desktop. We will continue to work hard to get both released asap. With UniStorm Mobile being released first.

25. karaokefreak

karaokefreak

ah, okay. Good to hear that you are working on it. uuuhm, can you take a wild guess how long it is going to take until it is done? I need to know since I have to decide which skydome to take. I can wait a few more weeks...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  26. jaijai76

jaijai76

Okay, here is one big bug, i use my camera in HDR (its important for me). It all works fine until the rain starts...
    as soon as light rain/thunder storm starts the sky becomes red and the sun goes black and looks sort of like a black hole,

http://imgur.com/4CmvYW9

Thats what it looks like.
    I would really like you to tell me how to fix it because i really want/need rain in my game

27. Ascensi

Ascensi

Request for Northern Lights?-might make this more complete - unistorm becomes "Ultimate Atmosphere" well after some tornados get thrown in there ;) . There was a guy "3dDude" on this forum that was working on something in 2013 but looks like he might of dropped it.

28. BHS

BHS

That's strange, we don't have any issues with HDR. It works for us and looks great. What image effects are you using with HDR?

Those are both image effects you can add to UniStorm. You would simply swap out the particle effects prefab for one of the ones demonstrated in the videos above. If you want us to add Northern Lights as a weather type it's something that can certainly be done.

29. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Hi,

how to control global fog? Whatever distance I set, after build it is always about 100, so default global fog value for this setting

30. gameplay4all

gameplay4all

Hi,

Can I please ask how you managed to get the nights darker?
    It would help me out a ton!
    Thanks

31. BHS

BHS

You can get darker nights by adjusting the Night Ambient color.

32. jaijai76

jaijai76

Okay i turned off all image effects than played my game, the sky was slightly brown (it usually did this before going red) and the sun was still dark (not as dark as before) my fps also went from 20 to 60. I than re-enabled image effects and my fps was at 55 (a HUGE improvement) and the sky still only went slightly brown and not really red. I really dont know why that happened but now i need help fixing the slightly brown issue (it still only does it in HDR) i'm also using linear lighting and not gamma but i don't think this makes much of a difference to this problem.

Secondly i would also like to increase the fog distance just like Websfera.pl but every time i do it resets to a different value.

33. Ascensi

Ascensi

Thank you BHS, it would be great if you could add that effect!! possibly with it appearing in the night until morning and the ability to enable/disable. Also just letting you know I got closer to making the Stereoscopic 3D working.. Using Cinema Pro Cams, it doesn't freeze now (might because of the new Unity 4.6.1) the fog & lighting shows but the sky does not.

34. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

I've set a AbsoluteYAndDistance for GlobalFog and then repeat those settongs on UniStorm fog section. It's working for now. I'm building another version, so if it will be ok, I'll give you info

35. gameplay4all

gameplay4all

SoN Skyex.png Hi,

I'm sorry about my previous question. it was pretty dumb, I just thought that I had set the ambient light all the way to pitch black, which I hadn't ^^
    But here's my second question:
    When I have the cloudy weathers enabled, the clouds aren't very visible, there's little contrast. But in your demo pictures on the asset store you can clearly see the clouds, in my game the sky is just almost completely white and has some dark or blue spots in it. I have set the camera distance far enough and have played with all of the colors. So how could I possibly increase the contrast?
    This picture is with cloudy 1, cloudy 1, 2, 3 are almost the same.
    Thank you

36. BHS

BHS

That's good. We will write the developers and see if we can get a copy to figure out what's causing the other issues.

The contrast and color of the clouds can be adjusted like the picture below. You can adjust the contrast by controlling the Alpha of the material and you can adjust the color by using the color control, this also helps with contrast. Just tweak it in game until you find a color and contrast that you like. You can see from the picture below our clouds have much more color and contrast. We simply adjusted the settings below.

UniStorm_Cloud_Contrast.png

37. gameplay4all

gameplay4all

Ahh, Thank you!
    I knew that your awesome product would have such a simple fix, it's very professional!
    I'll write a review!

38. Archania

Archania

Hi there. Is there a different setting for making the storm clouds darker? I tried adjusting all the CloudParent cloud settings that you mentioned above but nothing seemed to work. Does it matter that I am using the UnitStormPrefab_C?

39. Yog0

Yog0

Hello. I've have a seemingly simple problem that has become a headache. Right now my sun rises in the south and sets in the north. I need to rotate it 90 degrees, but there must be some scripted bit I can't find that resets the Sun_Moon position at runtime.

The terrain object has a ton of work put into it, and not being able to rotate it, I really don't want to have to rotate the heightmap.

Any ideas?

Just saw Karaokefreak's post. Count this as a +1 to adding that feature.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  40. jaijai76

jaijai76

I found out another thing about my brown rain cloud issue, it only happens in directX 11. In directX 11 i also have a bug with billboard trees having a white outline against dark objects (at night) i know this is unrelated but i find it odd that directX 11 would cause these problems, i would really like to use directX 11 in my game so if anybody could find a fix i would be really happy :)

EDIT: after turning directX 11 off and on again the sky has MAGICALLY FIXED itself. Unity sure has some crazy shiz going on in my game.

The sad news is the white tree billboards are still there :( iv created a thread about it and should get an answer some time so don't worry about me :)

If somebody could explain how turning image effects off and on improved my fps by 40 and helped fix the sky, as well as doing the same for dirextX 11 helping the sky that would be great. Or was it just some crazy random error 0_0 i will probably never know.

EDIT edit: I would also like to mention something that i would like fixed, i don't know if this is just form me but i cant see the horizon colour, all i can see is the colour of the fog on the horizon because the fog is changing its colour. I would really like a fix for this.

41. Maya2001

Maya2001

Hi guys!

I'm having an issue combining Unistorm with Triton 3d ocean. The ocean shows up fine but when going below water, the below water fog does not show. The picture below shows below water as clear as day.

So, when I disabled Unistorm Weather System under UniStormSystemEditor Hierarchy, the below water fog shows up fine like below picture

Is there a solution to this problem?

42. Yog0

Yog0

Unistorm is coded to change the fog in the render settings. In you first picture you can see that the fog is still there, it just changed colors to a grey.

If you have unity pro you could use global fog for the underwater environment. Unistorm does't touch that. You could also use a volumetric geometry like the ones in the advanced shader pack to fake your fog. The best bet would probably be to set the water plane up with a trigger collider that shuts off Unistorm's fog control and implements your own, then switches back when the character leaves the water.

The problem is independent of Triton though.

43. Maya2001

Maya2001

Now that you mentioned Global Fog, I realized what that does now. I found Global fog already in player camera in unistorm. I tried changing the fog color but its useless because it gets updated every second with unistorm. So, whatever time of day it is it changes with that color. So that route is pretty much cant be done. Setting up the water plane up with a trigger collider that shuts off unistorms fog control when player enters water, I dont know how to do that. volumetric geometry, how do u do that also?

It seems that Triton ocean may already have a global fog in Triton Unity script that has both Above Water Fog and Below Water Fog Colors, however, it seems that it is being overwritten by unistorm's global fog. Is it possible to allow Tritons below global fogs overwrite Unistorms global fog?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  44. BHS

BHS

There are several storm clouds, make sure you adjust all of them to a darker shade of grey or even black. If you have already tried that you can make the fog color dark which should darken your storm clouds when there's precipitation.

If don't want UniStorm to affect Global Fog follow these instructions:

Open whichever UniStorm Weather System Script you're using.
    Press Ctrl F to open up the search option within the script.
    Type in the search bar
    Code (csharp):
    1. fogScript.globalFogColor
    There should be 4 of these, simply comment them out like this
    Code (csharp):
    1. //fogScript.globalFogColor

45. Maya2001

Maya2001

I went into UniStormSystemEditor where it has Uni Storm Weather System_C script component in the object and right click that and did "Edit Script". It took me to monodevelop script editor and from there I did a search function of
    Code (csharp):
    1. fogScript.globalFogColor
    . There were 4 total that showed up and I placed // in front of them which they turned green color which im assuming are commented out. From there I tested the game and nothing happened. It seems that Global Fog were still on. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

46. BHS

BHS

It's sounds like you have properly commented out the global fog color change. If you're still seeing

47. BHS

BHS

Request a feature for UniStorm

We are working hard to improve UniStorm with new features and fixes. If there are any features, fixes, or ideas you would like to see for the 1.7.5 update, please post them here. If we feel the suggestions work, we will add them to the 1.7.5 update which should be finished within the month of July, after we have released the UniStorm Mobile update.

48. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

More optimized plugin. Moon light and Sun light gives me 40% less FPS after compilation

49. BHS

BHS

We have no frame rate issues while using UniStorm. Could you further explain so we can look into your issue.

Is this when both the sun and moon are enabled at the same time? I think with the current version the sun is faded before the moon light is faded in to help with performance.

There are many things we need to know to help look into your issue. Which version of UniStorm are you using? Are you using pro? Are you using image effects? What version of Unity are you using? Are you using shadows? Are you using windows or Mac? What are your computer specs?

If you can answer all of these it will help us better understand what's going on. For all we know it could be some non - UniStorm related issue.

If you have pro, run the Profiler tool so we can see what's causing your performance issue.

50. pixelpr0

pixelpr0

Hi,
    we are currently working on a networking-project that is using UniStorm.

We arleady did some changes so the Weather is sync. with the Server but there is still one problem...

When you loggin (to the WorldServer) the Weather is slowly changing to the Weather-Type that is sync. from our Server.
    So my question: Is there a way to set a weathertype instantly without fading the old one out?

Greetz
    Kevin