Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Archania

Archania

I have an issue here.
    I instantiate my character that has the required systems attached to it. I have the UnistormSystemEditor RainParticleSystem and the others set correctly to the prefab of the character. The character spawns and it is all still linked.
    But when it starts to rain, the RainSystem that is attached to the character for the Min/Max Emissions isn't changing. It is staying at 0.
    It is kinda like it lost the link. I hear the thunder, it has lightning but no rain.
    Any ideas on how to fix it?

3. insiderrr

insiderrr

i don't think it is a unity 4.6 bug, also unity 4.5.3 has no clouds. again, can also be my unexperience use of the asset, but i try to figure out how to make it work.

4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will it be easy to replace the desktop UniStorm version with the mobile version or the other way around?
    I would like to have such a tutorial that show me how to do that when both of them are 1.75.

It would be much nicer if you have one version and switch for what platform you want to develope now and have only one game that can be exported to different platforms.

Maybe we can include both versions into a project and you (bhv) make some kind of script that can switch wich version to use. Or even better, just one version that know automaticly what to use when it should be exported.

Can you please help on that topic and tell us how to do this and what plans do you have to help developers here the Unity way?

5. insiderrr

insiderrr

6. adde210

adde210

yeah okay good i will say this to when 1.8 is out then i gonna buy 1 copy more to support you guys. i know it sounds maby stupid but i love your work and I have no financial problems if I say so :) thx

7. adde210

adde210

have you checked the demo Version that's coming with this and does it get you the same problem in the Demo ?

8. BHS

BHS

Are you assigning the particles on Start or on Awake? I would trying assigning them on Awake and see if that works.

Also, are you using UFPS? If so, the reason you can't see the particles is because UFPS changes the particle's layer on start. So, in this case you would follow this simple tutorial to fix this. http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_with_Ultimate_FPS_Camera_.28UFPS.29

We plan on making both versions equivalent. They should both work with each other. We will discuss this below in our announcement about UniStorm Mobile and Desktop.

If that's what you want to do, it is greatly appreciated. We're glad you're enjoying UniStorm.

I would do what adde210 suggested. Have you tried using the demo scene to see if that works? Also, are you using DX11 or Deferred Lighting on your camera?

9. BHS

BHS

We have some big news that we hope our customers will like.

We are currently working UniStorm Mobile, which will be equivalent to UniStorm Desktop. Many of you want easy switching and support between the Desktop and Mobile versions. Our plan is to fully support both versions by combining both UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile into 1 package. So UniStorm Desktop will also come with UniStorm Mobile and UniStorm Mobile will also come with UniStorm Desktop.

The benefit to this is that customers will be able to seamlessly switch between platforms, within the same project, to build whichever type of platform is needed. This means you don't have to have separate projects if you develop games for both Desktop and Mobile that uses similar assets. This also allows for better support and version releases due to everything being in the same project. Our goal is to release version updates much sooner which will contain new features, suggestions from customers, improvements, and more.

To clarify, any current, and future, UniStorm customers will get both UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile included with both systems on the Asset Store.

There will also be no price increase. We will keep our price at $60 as promised. We hope our customers, and future customers, like this news. We plan on releasing the this within a month.

10. orb

orb

Wow, that's great news! You had this nice opportunity to increase the price and blew it :p

11. fredr92

fredr92

im using 4.5.3f3 and i have no clouds, i tried all weathertypes .
    Maybe i have done something wrong? (I can see someone else has the same problem above )
    Anyways thanks for the update it had alot of other great features

12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you BHS to give us this information.
    That makes it much more easy to plan with your weather asset.
    :)

13. BHS

BHS

Are you using DX11 or Deferred Lighting on your camera? Also, are you clouds enabled when you start the scene?

You're welcome.

14. fredr92

fredr92

yes im using DX11, but not deferred Lightning cause i use unity free.
    I also just noticed if i fire a gun, my muzzleflash will light up the sky if i look at the sky when shooting. The same thing happens if i turn the flashlight on and look at the sky, they are both using spot lights. The sky turns white.

thanks for Your fast answere

15. adde210

adde210

like i have said to the other have you tried the demo that you get with this asset is the same Problem there ? and like BHS says if you use UFPS if then look how you attach this asset whit ufps http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_with_Ultimate_FPS_Camera_.28UFPS.29

16. BHS

BHS

Okay, I've figured out the issue. It's DX11 and I was able to recreate the issue where the clouds wouldn't show.

From what I read, some surface shaders aren't yet fully support by Unity's DX11. However, it seems like there is a solution. We just have to modify the shaders to be recognized by DX11.

We will work on supplying DX11 compatible dynamic cloud shaders with the next version of UniStorm.

17. insiderrr

insiderrr

So this means all my scenes that i build with unistorm are not working any more and i have to wait for a next release? It worked great, i dont onderstaand, i have to use the 1.7 again ?

18. fredr92

fredr92

yes, i tried the demo its the same there. No im not using UFPS.
    Ok, i will try without DX11

19. BHS

BHS

Edit:
    I have successfully got the shaders working with DX11 see below for the fix.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  20. BHS

BHS

I've successfully converted all shaders to work with DX11. It was very simple, which I assumed it would be, but I didn't want to be too optimistic. We will submit a quick update to fix this. Until then here's how you can fix it.

Here are quick fixes that will get all of UniStorm's shaders working with DX11:

Dynamic Light Clouds Shader:

Change this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void myvert (inout appdata_full v, out Input data) {
    To this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void myvert (inout appdata_full v, out Input data) { UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,data);

Gradient Sky Shader:

Change this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    To this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) { UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,o);

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  21. Jaqal

Jaqal

Thank you so much I was really bummed out today when I got the new update and all my beautiful clouds were gone! Going to test now. Will update this post if the quick fix works.

***Update- Hot fix works. I have clouds again and they look terrific!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  22. insiderrr

insiderrr

this fix works fantastic, thanx for this fast fix, you guys are great :)

23. BHS

BHS

Great to hear the hot fix worked and you like the clouds.

You're welcome.

24. melonhead

melonhead

glad to see my suggestion to bring back the on screen rain effect will be back in 1.8 release, seeing as this is only 2 weeks to a month away i think i will skip 1.7.5 and wait for 1.8, maybe some of the above issues will be fixed by then also... good work bhs

25. insiderrr

insiderrr

Try to figure out how to get the sun shaft to work with Oculus rift, is this now supported ? i did not read anything in the release notes, so wondering how the status is.

26. adde210

adde210

hello babes hehe :) i am wondering if this snow/whinter efects gona be like H1Z1 ?
    if you never seen it look on this (LINK) 0:30 - 1:20 And 8:35 - 9:00 And 26:05 - 26:30,
    i really hope you gonna do that so the snow is lying over the top of everything and indoors it's not gonna be snow on the ground like in the Video on 0:30 to 1:20 and even if you have a object we say a whepon and drop it on the ground outside and its get snow over it like in 8:35 to 9:00 and if you se when the tree falls down the snow is alway on the top of it like in 26:05 to 26:30. look at it it is actually good ides there! <3

I have told myself that this is the exactly solution you're going to do. Have I understood you correctly then?

I really hope it is :) Thx my Creator ;)

27. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

Am I doing something wrong? I have imported the 1.7.5 version but I am still getting around 94 yellow warning messages.

": `UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete: `GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(),"

Do I need to delete the old Unistorm from the download directory or are these errors still in the 1.7.5 version? These are going to drive me crazy again.

28. fredr92

fredr92

Thank you for the fast support BHS, it Works and looks amazing now , it also fixed the flashlight and muzzleflash thing to.

29. BHS

BHS

We can't test this at the moment, but if you go through the UniStorm script and add support for an additional camera, meaning duplicate everything that camera 1 uses including image effects and references, then I think it should work. You will also need to increase the far clipping plane of both cameras to around 16,000.

We won't know for sure until we start working with the snow shaders and making the necessary modifications. We are going to rewrite the old snow shader to better support UniStorm.

We have already made the changes, but commented them out. There is no way we can support Unity 3.+ version users and include GameObject.SetActive() it causes compiler errors. So, we have included all the changes, within the script, you just have to uncomment them. 1.7.5 will most likely be the last time we support Unity 3 version users due to the hours of extra work we have to do to support an older version of Unity (Unity 3 and Unity 4 are quite different which is why there's so many obsolete messages). We also will be supporting Unity 5 so I'm sure the majority of Unity users are using Unity 4 at this point.

30. BHS

BHS

A new video showing UniStorm 1.7.5 and its improved time of day, shading, and dynamic clouds.

Our official UniStorm 1.7.5 will be finished soon showing more features.

31. insiderrr

insiderrr

You don't need an oculus rift to test if it works. you can download the prefab and see what happens, you get the stereo view and look how the shaft looks like.
    i am not a developer, small fixes are not abig deal, but editing code is a step to far, that why i love this asset a lot.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  32. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

ok thanks - The commenting helped - I managed to get rid of most of the errors now.

One thing that puzzled me is where the "enable horizon" check box went. Either I am blind or something but I could not locate it anywhere. I enabled it by setting it to "true" in your script.

The sky looks really nice. This asset has really turned out nice.
    Thank you BHS for your hard work on making Unistorm

33. BHS

BHS

The horizon has been disabled for Unity versions 4 or newer. Due to the new cloud shader there is no need to mask the horizon.

We are working on a new skybox shader that will have a gradient horizon built into the skybox shader. This allows for much more realistic shading and time of day.

34. bluemoon

bluemoon

The new day/night transtions in v1.7.5 are a really nice improvement, the sky domes is really looking great all round. I have noticed a few tiny issues. The sun shafts are offset from your sun position and with darker night settings the rain particles are way to bright.

35. adde210

adde210

yeah :) and i can't wait for the snow effect too

36. rsoares

rsoares

ive been adapting it to network and It seems you have an memory leak, you are creating Moon materials every frame (During Moon Times) and not disposing of the previews ones.

on the server it was an easy fix, all renderer code was comented so no more materials are instantiated. but on client i cant find where you could be creating those materials (using c# version). any help would be apreciated.

it seems renderer.sharedMaterial = Material; is not garbage collected, so using Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets(); at line 857 (c#) fixed the leak

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  37. BHS

BHS

We can added an offset to the sun's position so users can adjust the sun to match the sun shafts.

You can adjust the rain particle's brightness by changing the animator on the rain's settings.

The moon should only be updated once per day, but we will take a look at it and fix what needs to be fixed. Thanks for the tip.

38. sqallpl

sqallpl

What are your plans for Unity 5?

Do you plan to make this work with the new Unity 5 lighting so your skybox would work as a dynamic input for environment lighting?

What about the clouds/stars/other additional elements of skybox that are not just a 'sky color' or 'sky gradient'. Do you have any idea how to implement everything so it will work as an dynamic input for the environment lighting?

39. BHS

BHS

Yes, we plan to fully utilize all the new features Unity 5 has to offer, including the dynamic lighting.

We haven't tested this yet because we are still waiting for our Unity 5 beta invite (which we will get).

40. Archania

Archania

Not sure if it has been answered already and there is a post about this in the forum section of the wiki.
    Integration of unistorm and skyshop.
    A how to guide for stupid (meaning me) of what to make sure is set right and not to do.

41. Jaqal

Jaqal

What is the easiest way to extend the range of the rain system with the latest update? I just want to make it seem farther out from the player. I have already moved its position in front of the player as much as possible. It helped some but I would like a little more if possible.

42. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Just imported the asset to a fresh Unity 4.5.4f1 projects and get these three red errors in the console.

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(339,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SunShafts' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(340,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `GlobalFog' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/L_FG_Assets_Pack1.0/Standard Assets/Image Effects (Pro Only)/CameraMotionBlur.js(102,20): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'supportDX11'.

Can you help please

Edit:
    Just tried to import it to 4.6beta18 and do not get the errors but about 93 of these warnings:

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_JS.js(4797,77): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEngine.GameObject.active' is obsolete. GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive(), GameObject.activeSelf or GameObject.activeInHierarchy

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  43. fredr92

fredr92

Put the global fog script and the sunshafts script on Your main camera even if u dont use unity pro and then it will be solved.

Reimport Pro image effects that should solve that.

You can just comment // out the old active, check out the release notes for more info. Hope it helped

44. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you fredr92
    Reimport pro image effects do not work (i use pro) but i go with 4.6 now where it work because i want to use the new gui.

45. BHS

BHS

You need to add the Sun Shafts and Global Fog image effects to you camera. This is covered in the documentation.

Pay no attention to the warning messages. You can fix them by uncommenting the setactive portions of the code. We still have to support Unity 3 version users.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Will this snow system be in v1.8 ? Also does it require special shaders on the ground ?

And this is related to the next question, is the asset compatible with Skyshop or at least is there a way to use it instead of Skyshop skies and still get IBL from the Sky ?

Skyshop also uses a special shader for the ground.

Thanks

47. Archania

Archania

I asked that too and still waiting for an answer...

48. BHS

BHS

You adjust the size of the Ellipsoid on the particle settings.

We will be sure to add an option to adjust the range of the particles to the UniStorm Editor with the next version of UniStorm.

We plan on adding dynamic snow with the next version of UniStorm.

As for Skyshop it hasn't been tested but it's not hard to add other systems to our system. You simply add the appropriate interpolation for each time of day.

We will talk with the developers of Skyshop and see if we can get support. When we do we will be sure to add it to the UniStorm Wiki.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks

I will be asking in Skyshop side too, if there is a way to replace their sky and get IBL info from another system's sky

Or somehow combine it with other systems.

50. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am sorry, but there is no documentation in my downloaded unistorm 1.7.5 asset nor a readme where to find one.