Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Ascensi

Ascensi

Looks good so far! I hope you can still squeeze in the optional Aurora Borealis for night until morning. Also some have apparently got their Oculus Rift working with Unistorm , it would be very helpful to have some instructions in the documentation. Can anyone else offer some directions? thank you.

2. Godzira

Godzira

Hello,

Still waiting for the 1.7.5 update to hit the Asset Store, any news?

Thanks!

3. BHS

BHS

Auroras will have to wait till the next update, but it is something we will definitely be adding.

Nope, it hasn't been accepted yet. It can take up to a week for things to be accepted, so Monday would be the latest.

4. Alahmnat

Alahmnat

I have every intention of getting this soon, because the weather management stuff has a ton of awesome potential for what I'm working on. That said, I do have a question: is the moon locked into a position directly opposite the sun, or can it move at its own rate? I ask because it always irks me when games have a moon that changes phase, but never changes position in the sky relative to the sun to make that possible.

5. Kivak

Kivak

They're sure taking their good ol' time aren't they? It's almost worse than Apple's review process now. XD

6. Godzira

Godzira

On the Asset Store RSS, seeing loads of new assets being pushed this week. Surprised it is taking this long to update it :(

7. Kivak

Kivak

Sadly I don't see this released before labor day if they respect US holidays. :(

8. BHS

BHS

Not yet, but we plan on it.

9. BHS

BHS

Our apologies for the delay.

1.7.5 would have been approved Friday, but there was a small thing we had to fix. While we were waiting for the approval process prior, we were working on some more features to add next week in another version. However, since we had to submit it again, we were able to add all the features we had been working on with 1.7.5 and the other features we had planned for next week. (We worked around the clock to get this all this released).

It should be approved either tomorrow or Wednesday. We can assure you it will be worth the wait.

The good news is we added tons of new awesome features in addition to the version list before.

Here's the new 1.7.5 List:

UniStorm 1.7.5

New Features:
    * UniStorm now uses dynamic clouds, both for clear and for stormy weather types.
    * Clouds how fade out gradually along the horzion, the mask height of this can be adjusted. This allows clouds to fade out along the horizon greatly adding to realism.
    * Now that storm clouds are dynamic they tend to form much more relalistically when transitioing to stormy and to clear weather types.
    * Storm clouds look fuller and more dense with more complex shading for all times of day. Storm clouds also have greatly improved shading when lightning strikes.
    * Stars are now faded according to the time of day. Starting at dusk they will now gradually fade in as it gets darker. Starting at early morning they will slowly fade away. This allows stars to be barely visible at late sunrise and early sunset which greatly adds to realism.
    * A sun glare effect has been added and is greatly improved compared to the previous sun, this feature can be disabled if desired.
    * Dynamically generated precipitation has been added to better add to realism. Now no storm will ever be the same. Precipitation weather types are the only weather types being affected. (Light Rain and Snow, Heavy Rain and Snow, and Thunder Storms) Now when a thunder storm happens there can be a steady rain or a torrential downpour. This option can be enabled or disabled and is adjustable via the max precipitation values within the editor.
    * Sound Manager has been added to the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to set an array of sounds that will play dynamically for each time of each day according to the min and max seconds set within the editor (One for morning, day, evening, and night) An example for this could be birds in the morning and evening, wind during the day, and crickets at night. UniStorm will pick from an enless selection of sounds (for each time of day) that will play throught the day and night.
    * We have also added an option (when using the new Sound Manager) to have precipitation weather types overrun this (if desired) to have dynamic weather sounds play during particular weather types (wind gusts, wind howls, birds, water splashes, creaks, animal noises, you name it). The Sound Manager allows for true dynamic gameplay making each play turly unique and realistic.
    * UniStorm Wiki site (added to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu) gives you access to UniStorm's Online Wiki documentation, code examples, script references, and tutorials. This site is always being updated with new content and information to help you get the most out of UniStorm.
    * New and improved particle effects for all precipitation weather types.
    * Added Rain Streaks for heavy rain weather tpyes. This can be disabled if desired.

Improvements:
    * The Sun's algorithm has been completely rewritten. The Y axis can now be rotated 360* allowing you to choose where the sun rises and where it sets. You are no longer restricted of the sun's rotation.
    * The time of day has been recalculated to be much more realistic and accurate. Morning starts at around 6 am and evening at around 7 pm (this is an on going task we're working on full longitude, latitude & time zone support soon).
    * The Moon now gradually fades in for evening and fades out for morning. This, along with the feature below, allows a very realistic transition.
    * The Moon's light intensity is now faded in or out according to the time of day (late evening and early morning). This allows a seamless and realistic blend between night and morning, and between evening and night, as well as a early morning/twilight effect.
    * Converted dayLength to minutes. The dayLength is now how many real-time minutes are in 1 UniStorm day. So a dayLength of 10 would take 10 real time minutes to complete 1 UniStorm day.

Fixes:
    * Fixed several bugs that affected preformance. UniStorm users should see increased performance and reduced draw calls.
    * Fixed the obsolete script references by adding version detection (see notes for details).
    * Fixed several other small bugs

Newly added features to the UniStorm Editor:
    * Added an option to enable or disable Dynamically Generated Precipitation
    * Added Sound Manager Options to the Editor
    * Added Min and Max seconds for Sound Manager
    * Added a slider to adjust the Sound Manager's amount of sounds for each time of day
    * Added Fog Mode selection to Editor. This allows you to choose which kind of Unity fog UniStorm will use. The options for each fog mode are enabled according to the fog mode chosen.
    * Added a checkbox to enable or disable auto enable fog of Unity's fog.
    * Added Cloud Thickness to editor to control how thick dynamic clouds will be rendered.
    * Added Moonlight color option to editor
    * Added Moonlight intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow type to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow type to editor
    * Added option to enable or disable Sun Flares
    * Added Lightning color option to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow type to editor
    * Added Sun Flare color option to editor if Sun Flare is enabled
    * Added Precipitation Sounds to the editor (Rain, Wind for Rain, and Wind for Snow). This allows you to easily customize the weather sound effects with custom sounds. Simply add the audio clip to the slot and UniStorm will use it accordingly.
    * Added UniStorm Wiki documentation to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu.
    * Categorized UniStorm's Objects Field allowing for easier customization for custom particle effects and components

10. davados1

davados1

Hello I really like the effects and the feel of this package. On one of my levels I'm trying to keep the fog density at 0.3 but it keeps changing. I'm trying to make it so it's almost completely dark except for a torch light. I've set the editor to static weather and to night but the fog density will always change. Can you help me please? Many thanks.

11. BHS

BHS

You have to set it up via the UniStorm editor. The setting is fog density. If you have already done this and it still changes you have to break the prefab connection of the editor or the editor will grab the values from the prefab. Sometimes this happens.

Select the UniStorm game object parent. Go to Game Object at the top of Unity then select break prefab connection. After doing the above you will be able to keep values you've entered in the editor.

12. davados1

davados1

I've broke the prefab but the problem will still persist. I've restarted a new scene four times and still the problem happens. It doesn't matter what I set the fog density to it will slowly go down to 0.0006 then stick at that level.The only settings I've changed in the UniStormSystemEditor js Prefab are-
    Starting Time Of Day = Night.
    Month = September.
    Weather Type = Thunder Storm or Snow Strom Winter Only.
    Fog Density = 0.03.
    Time Stopped = True (Checked).
    I also tried it each time as the prefab and with it being broke from the prefab but still the same effect.

Many thank.

13. BHS

BHS

Very strange, we will look into this. With 1.7.5, which should be accepted any day now, should fix the issue. Until then, do the below.

If you do not plan on changing the weather, open up the UniStorm System script you are using.

Find the start function and add the below to the script then save it.

RenderSettings.fogDensity = 0.03;

14. davados1

davados1

Thank your for quick responses. Adding RenderSettings.fogDensity = 0.03; to the Start function doesn't stop the fog density from dropping to 0.0006. I've found a quick fix but it doe's make the fog density redundant from the UniStormWeatherSystem_JS. It just means I have to set it manually and change it manually. In the UniStormWeatherSystem_JS on line 2300 I've commented it out and it's fixed the fog from changing.

Many thanks.

15. BHS

BHS

Oh I see, that's was to lessen the fog level while using the Exponential fog modes. If the fog density was too high it tended to washed things out. However, we will add a Storm Fog Density and a Regular Fog Density with a quick update.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  16. BHS

BHS

While we all anxiously wait for the approval of UniStorm 1.7.5, here's a screenshot of the new UniStorm 1.7.5 Editor.

There are now over 150 customizable components within the editor.

UniStorm Editor Final Screen 2.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  17. Ascensi

Ascensi

The list of improvements is exciting! Any chance you will be able to add the Aurora Borealis effect by next update too? or has this been benched?

18. BHS

BHS

Yes, of course we can. We think it's an awesome feature to add to UniStorm. We plan on having Auroras with UniStorm 1.8.

19. EDarkness

EDarkness

Are we going to be able to set the time upon loading? This is a feature I really need since the player can save and load so I want time to be exactly where they left it.

20. adde210

adde210

and if i get this error what should i do ?

Assets/Standard Assets/Editor/Image Effects/TiltShiftEditor.js(36,42): BCE0018: The name 'TiltShift' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'TiltShiftHdr'?

i have try to re import effects and your assets nothing of it works :(

21. adde210

adde210

PS:
    I think u need to do a video tutorial on your hole assets specific and every features you add you only add a new video on that :) pp like that kinda tutorials and it helps ALOT ! .Thx :p

22. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Go into that script and change TiltShift to TiltShiftHdr on that line. It will then complain about another line. Do the same.

23. adde210

adde210

lol i saw a have another script to that whas Fu*ki*g one of the UniStorms (i fixt it) (it was not just that error that come up after i renamed :p ) sorry but when is it coming the V1.7.1 ?_? i really like the snow stuff that's happened and placing snow over the texture for just now when it is winter in my server its just look stupid (looks like summer but it snowing XD

24. adde210

adde210

PS: when its is foggy put in some effect like dust effect to its is a little boring with the fog effect right now hope you understand me :p

25. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i use this asset also in a multiplayer game?
    What should i do if i want this?
    Do someone else have done this and can give some information on how to make this?
    Also can i do this then when the mobile version is on 1.75 too so i can then have a multiplatform network ready weather system?

26. Jaqal

Jaqal

Hey I just started using uniStorm and for some reason I cannot see the butterflies in game mode. I can see them in scene mode flying around my player but for some reason they are not rendering in game mode. Any suggestions?

*Edit- Never mind I am using UFPS as well and it changes layers automatically on start up. Working great now. Looking forward to the update!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  27. BHS

BHS

We are working on this feature for the next version.

Particle effect have been greatly improved as of 1.7.5 which should be available tomorrow.

Yes, UniStorm works well with multiplayer. We have had many customers use it for multiplayer games.

28. BHS

BHS

Also, UniStorm 1.7.5 should be accepted tomorrow. I'm not sure what's taking them so long.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is it possible to have same saved states of day (like 1-2 sun lights per case, 2 to 4 different lighting cases per time of day) and lerp though those, without nessesarilly turn the sun correctly ?

Having a 100% correct cycle and sun direction will not always give me the result i want artistically, so is there a way to bypass that restriction and have the exact sun position/color i want in certain times (and lerp the in between) ?
    Thanks

30. BHS

BHS

Yes, you should be able to, but it would require some minor modifications to the UniStorm script. This will be even easier with UniStorm 1.7.5.

31. adde210

adde210

so it's the 1.7.5 that is coming tomorrow ?

32. BHS

BHS

It should be accepted today sometime. It's been a week since we submitted 1.7.5.

adde210 likes this.
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

That is nice, i will check it out with the free edition and buy if i can make it :)

34. Jaqal

Jaqal

Why does my global fog always go back to grey after setting the color? Is this normal or a bug. The prefab instance has been broken so it's not the problem. Also it says in the documentation that the fog colors control the global fog but it seems that they only control regular unity fog colors?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  35. Ascensi

Ascensi

It would be very Awesome if BHS could add Direct Oculus Rift support lol hint hint.. ;) stereo camera placement field or at least instructions.. or if someone else could share the process.. I can set it up to the extent that it will kind of funtion/be displayed on both sides before the play button. with clouds/sky moving but in playmode it's blacked out on one side/camera.

36. LooZ

LooZ

What are the plans regarding updating UniStorm to newer Unity 5 capabilities?

37. BHS

BHS

That's odd, I'm not sure. We will look into it and supply a fix if we find any issues.

We are looking to fully support OR with UniStorm by the next update. I think the issue is due to UniStorm using only 1 camera by default.

We plan to fully support Unity 5 and all of its new features. What we will most likely due is include a package file within the UniStorm project for Unity 5 users.

38. BHS

BHS

UniStorm version 1.7.5 is now live on the Asset Store! You can get it here:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

Please be sure to let us know how you like the new features and improvements.

UniStorm Editor Final Screen 2.png Custom Wiki Site.png Dynamic Clouds Final.png

UniStorm 1.7.5

New Features:
    * UniStorm now uses dynamic clouds, both for clear and for stormy weather types.
    * Clouds how fade out gradually along the horizon, the mask height of this can be adjusted. This allows clouds to fade out along the horizon greatly adding to realism.
    * Now that storm clouds are dynamic they tend to form much more realistically when transitioning to stormy and to clear weather types.
    * Storm clouds look fuller and more dense with more complex shading for all times of day. Storm clouds also have greatly improved shading when lightning strikes.
    * Stars are now faded according to the time of day. Starting at dusk they will now gradually fade in as it gets darker. Starting at early morning they will slowly fade away. This allows stars to be barely visible at late sunrise and early sunset which greatly adds to realism.
    * A sun glare effect has been added and is greatly improved compared to the previous sun, this feature can be disabled if desired.
    * Dynamically generated precipitation has been added to better add to realism. Now no storm will ever be the same. Precipitation weather types are the only weather types being affected. (Light Rain and Snow, Heavy Rain and Snow, and Thunder Storms) Now when a thunder storm happens there can be a steady rain or a torrential downpour. This option can be enabled or disabled and is adjustable via the max precipitation values within the editor.
    * Sound Manager has been added to the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to set an array of sounds that will play dynamically for each time of each day according to the min and max seconds set within the editor (One for morning, day, evening, and night) An example for this could be birds in the morning and evening, wind during the day, and crickets at night. UniStorm will pick from an endless selection of sounds (for each time of day) that will play through the day and night.
    * We have also added an option (when using the new Sound Manager) to have precipitation weather types overrun this (if desired) to have dynamic weather sounds play during particular weather types (wind gusts, wind howls, birds, water splashes, creaks, animal noises, you name it). The Sound Manager allows for true dynamic gameplay making each play truly unique and realistic.
    * UniStorm Wiki site (added to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu) gives you access to UniStorm's Online Wiki documentation, code examples, script references, and tutorials. This site is always being updated with new content and information to help you get the most out of UniStorm.
    * New and improved particle effects for all precipitation weather types.
    * Added Rain Streaks for heavy rain weather types. This can be disabled if desired.

Improvements:
    * The Sun's algorithm has been completely rewritten. The Y axis can now be rotated 360* allowing you to choose where the sun rises and where it sets. You are no longer restricted of the sun's rotation.
    * The time of day has been recalculated to be much more realistic and accurate. Morning starts at around 6 am and evening at around 7 pm (this is an on going task we're working on full longitude, latitude & time zone support soon).
    * The Moon now gradually fades in for evening and fades out for morning. This, along with the feature below, allows a very realistic transition.
    * The Moon's light intensity is now faded in or out according to the time of day (late evening and early morning). This allows a seamless and realistic blend between night and morning, and between evening and night, as well as a early morning/twilight effect.
    * Converted dayLength to minutes. The dayLength is now how many real-time minutes are in 1 UniStorm day. So a dayLength of 10 would take 10 real time minutes to complete 1 UniStorm day.

Fixes:
    * Fixed several bugs that affected performance. UniStorm users should see increased performance and reduced draw calls.
    * Fixed the obsolete script references by adding version detection (see notes for details).
    * Fixed several other small bugs

Newly added features to the UniStorm Editor:
    * Added an option to enable or disable Dynamically Generated Precipitation
    * Added Sound Manager Options to the Editor
    * Added Min and Max seconds for Sound Manager
    * Added a slider to adjust the Sound Manager's amount of sounds for each time of day
    * Added Fog Mode selection to Editor. This allows you to choose which kind of Unity fog UniStorm will use. The options for each fog mode are enabled according to the fog mode chosen.
    * Added a checkbox to enable or disable auto enable fog of Unity's fog.
    * Added Cloud Thickness to editor to control how thick dynamic clouds will be rendered.
    * Added Moonlight color option to editor
    * Added Moonlight intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Moonlight shadow type to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Sunlight shadow type to editor
    * Added option to enable or disable Sun Flares
    * Added Lightning color option to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow intensity to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow enable/disable to editor
    * Added Lightning shadow type to editor
    * Added Sun Flare color option to editor if Sun Flare is enabled
    * Added Precipitation Sounds to the editor (Rain, Wind for Rain, and Wind for Snow). This allows you to easily customize the weather sound effects with custom sounds. Simply add the audio clip to the slot and UniStorm will use it accordingly.
    * Added UniStorm Wiki documentation to UniStorm>Documentation pull down menu.
    * Categorized UniStorm's Objects Field allowing for easier customization for custom particle effects and components

Notes:
    * Due to a Unity bug with Unity 3.+ versions (Getting the world position of the cloud's height with the 1.7.5 Cloud Shader), dynamic clouds only work for Unity version 4.0 or higher. We are looking into the issue to resolve it. Apparently, we aren't the only ones with having issues getting the world position of an object in version 3.+. We are talking with Unity to see if they can assist use regarding this.

* Users with versions of Unity 3.+ will still be able to use UniStorm 1.7.5. However, you will be reverted to UniStorm's 1.7 clouds automatically for your convenience. You will have full use of all other UniStorm 1.7.5 features.

* Users with version of Unity 4.0 or higher will have dynamic clouds enabled automatically. UniStorm will check your Unity versions and enable which clouds to use according to your Unity version. This has been tested on many different versions of Unity and is convenient and effective.

* With being able to support all Unity3d versions we can't only include gameObject.SetActive() with UniStorm. So we have created a version detection in UniStorm that will detect your version of Untiy and use the appropriate coding for your version of Unity (example gameObject.SetActive() instead of gameObject.active). However, you will still see obsolete messages due to the fact that we still have to support version 3.+ for our customers that use it. We have included all conversions within both UniStorm scripts you simple have to delete or comment out those portions. It's simple and we have provide a tutorial on our UniStorm Wiki site.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  39. adde210

adde210

so now when it is winter the ground gonna be snowy ?

40. BHS

BHS

We are working on this for UniStorm 1.8 as well as the rain on screen effect.

41. adde210

adde210

yeah for i really like this video you show when the snow actually cover the ground and the everything on top of the objects.

1.8 how long time do you think we need to wait to this release ?

Thx i love your work i have actually purchased 2 copys of you becuse i relly like your work keep going

42. BHS

BHS

Probably no more than 2 weeks to a month. We're going to be releasing updates more often.

43. BHS

BHS

Some new screenshots using UniStorm 1.7.5 (Morning, Day, Evening, and Night)

All screenshots are using Unity Free

Test 2014-09-10 22-45-25-684.jpg Test 2014-09-10 22-45-15-593.jpg Test 2014-09-10 22-45-58-321_.jpg Test 2014-09-11 02-07-52-794.jpg Test 2014-09-11 02-09-02-864.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  44. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

still forget the "mobile" version?

45. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile is next on our list. Shouldn't be more then a week until it's finished. We are working on it currently. It will be equivalent to the desktop version.

46. insiderrr

insiderrr

just downloaded the new version 1.7.5. i can't get the clouds get vissible. of course i tweaked the clipping plane to 15.000 but i only get a blue sky.

the clouds are vissible in the preview window, but when playing the scene it is all gone.

1.7.0 was working fine, no idea what is happening.

47. BHS

BHS

Are you using Unity 3 or Unity 4? UniStorm's dynamic clouds only work for Unity 4.0 or higher. If you are using Unity 3 you UniStorm's regukar clouds will be used. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems we tested the update on multiple computers so I'm not sure what the issue is. We will look into it though to see if we can recreate it.

48. insiderrr

insiderrr

i am using unity 4.6 beta, still try to figure out why this is happening, not saying the asset is bugged, but it is strange :)

49. BHS

BHS

We did a fresh import using Unity 4.3 with no issues. The dynamic clouds are there. If you figure out what's causing your issue be sure to let us know.

Fresh Import.png

50. insiderrr

insiderrr