Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[ON SALE - 20% OFF] UniStorm Mobile - Dynamic Day & Night Weather System (Includes UniStorm Desktop)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Our apologies, I thought it was submitted with it. We will update the system with them and send you a link to download it via PM.

2. creat327

creat327

Can you submit it to the store too please? We will need this in about a week for one of our games

3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Any news of a update?

4. creat327

creat327

this package hasn't been updated or fixed in months. My advice is to go into the asset store and get any of the competing products, they are cheaper and work better (and get updated). The competing products are all listed under "related" right on the store.

I removed this one and moved to a competing product and I just regret I didn't do it before. When you don't get any replies or updates on a product, you know you made the wrong decision.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Whats the competing mobile product - cant see?

6. BHS

BHS

We always update UniStorm Mobile after we have finished the desktop version. We have finished UniStorm 1.7 for desktop and we will now do the same for the mobile version. Shouldn't be more than 2 weeks for the UniStorm Mobile update. The update will contain Many NEW features, improvements, And have gradient skies.

7. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Posted: 11:18 2 Weeks Ago
    What is the update status?

8. BHS

BHS

Our apologies, we are currently working on it. We want to make sure it's as optimized and efficient as possible.

9. shwa

shwa

I'm using the desktop and mobile unistorm.

how do i add code to the current mobile to add lightning?

tx,

shwa

10. chaneya

chaneya

BHS,

I purchased Unistorm mobile and am using the current version 1.2.5 in IOS Build Settings in Unity 4.5.

My concern is with the included textures in the mobile version. On every single texture, there is a warning message in the inspector in the texture importer that says "Graphics device doesn't support Repeat wrap mode on NPOT textures. Falling back to Clamp." Switching to Clamp mode breaks the skies so you have to use Repeat mode. But since all of the textures are non-power of 2 sizes, according to the warning, repeat mode will not work on mobile and they will fall back to clamp once deployed to mobile.

Can you provide an explanation for why NPOT textures were provided in the mobile version of Unistorm and what the solution is in regards to the warning?

Additionally I attempted to modify the existing textures in Photoshop to make them square or power of 2, either 512 X 512 or 1024 X 1024 depending on the original size. Unfortunately although this allows you to use Repeat mode, you see some really bad seams in the sky.

Thanks
    Allan

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. BHS

BHS

Hi there,

We have never encountered this problem before, neither has anybody else. I'm not sure why the textures are giving warning messages. It could have something to do with Unity 4.5. We will test an import of UniStorm Mobile on 4.5 to see if we can recreate the problem. If we can, I'm sure we can find a solution.

12. chaneya

chaneya

Thanks for getting back so quick.
    This is really easy to test. Just do the following:
    1. Create New Project in Unity (I'm using the current version 4.5.0f6)
    2. Switch to iOS build settings.
    3. Import the current version of Unistorm mobile.
    4. Select any cloud texture.

You will see this in the inspector:

Screen Shot 2014-08-01 at 2.30.24 PM.png

On another note, you get 70 obsolete code warning messages due to your code not being 4.5 compliant. It's no big deal. They are all easily fixable but still it's probably worth submitting an update to the store so new users aren't turned off.

Allan

13. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this asset is just not updated anymore since 1 year between BHS promise most of users have await for an unfinished product to be finished.
    there is cheaper and more updated alternatives now.
    @BHS the mobile version is the same price as the desktop version, just without updates. definitely think it was an error to release in two version. if you only support one.

14. BHS

BHS

We do this and try to find the issue so we can fix it.

We know it has been some time since our last update but we can promise you it will be worth the wait. We also have some huge news to announce, but not at this time.

You will see a version equal to the Desktop version very soon. We are on the tail end of development.

15. chaneya

chaneya

BHS,

Thanks again for the quick follow-up and I'm really enjoying getting to know Unistorm mobile.

Something else I need to mention. Your C# version of Unistorm mobile is still using Javascript classes. If you carefully review your project, you will see RenderBehind.js is used in several locations (SunGlow and Storm Clouds 1). And you did not provide a C# version of that class. So if a user purchases and then imports Unistorm mobile with the intention of using the advertised C# version and then the user deletes all javascript classes, their project will break. That's not good.

It's very important that you strip out all javascript classes in the C# version. I would highly recommend simply removing the Javascript code. Why is this very important?

1. Because Javascript is a dynamic language with dynamic typing, it generally runs slower than C#. It's especially a bad idea on mobile projects. And since this is Unistorm Mobile....
    2. Javascript compiles 4 - 12.5X slower than C#. There are several Unity forum threads which have documented this. It's a big deal once your project gets kind of large. Every time you make a code change, it's the difference between waiting 15-20 seconds or 2-3 seconds for compilation.
    Slow compile time with Javascript
    3. Just a single javascript class sitting in your project increases compile time significantly.

I typically avoid Assets in the store that use Javascript for the above reasons.

I'm really looking forward to your update to Unistorm mobile.

Allan

16. chaneya

chaneya

In regards to you use of NPOT textures in the mobile version of Unistorm, here is the quote from the Manual: (I would strongly recommend that you get in the habit of always creating power of two textures. As the Unity manual states, they will run better and use less memory on pretty much all GPUs. GPUs like Power of Two. This is very important on mobile. Just get in the habit of always making power of two, and you can never go wrong.)

"Texture Sizes
    Ideally texture sizes should be powers of two on the sides. These sizes are as follows: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc. pixels. The textures do not have to be square, i.e. width can be different from height. Note that each platform may impose maximum texture sizes.

It is possible to use other (non power of two - “NPOT”) texture sizes with Unity. Non power of two texture sizes generally take slightly more memory and might be slower to read by the GPU, so for performance it’s best to use power of two sizes whenever you can. If the platform or GPU does not support NPOT texture sizes, then Unity will scale and pad the texture up to next power of two size, which will use even more memory and make loading slower (in practice, this always happens on Flash and some older Android devices). In general you’d want to use non power of two sizes only for GUI purposes.

Non power of two texture assets can be scaled up at import time using the Non Power of 2 option in the advanced texture type in the import settings."

Allan

17. chaneya

chaneya

After reviewing your code, here are some tips for better mobile performance. One of these in particular, #1, is a killer right now on mobile. I'll list these in order of "Should be changed for better mobile performance".

1. I noticed significant framerate drops during the day and then double the framerate at night. You have two directional lights turned on during the day because it appears you keep the moonlight light on all of the time. You turn off your day light (the Sun_Moon light) at night. The result is at night you have one directional light and during the day you have two directional lights. I recommend you only have one directional light on at all times. That's really about all mobile can handle.
    2. Caching references is very important on mobile. I'll just use Audiosource as an example. But it applies to everything (Rendrer, Material, Color etc.) You currently call the Audiosource component by referencing (audio) the public Audiosource attached to your gameobjects. (WindSound, RainSound). You do this within the update loop in order to adjust volume. This is a big no, no. And even after you have hit your target volume, you continue to do checks against this publicly referenced component in every update frame. You should create a private reference of Audiosource, then in Awake or Startup, make your private reference equal to your public attached referenced component. Make changes to the private reference only. (That's caching) (See example code below.)
    3. Consider using Coroutines instead of the update loop for fading in and fading out audio as well as other changes to colors, materials etc. Coroutines have the advantage of functioning outside of the update loop. They can be turned off once your task is complete unlike doing constant checks on every frame within the update loop. And you can have yield delays to time everything how you want. Once you figure out how to use them in C#, they are awesome!

My guess is you can double or triple the speed of UniStorm mobile by making the above changes in your mobile version.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject windSound; //Public reference
    2. private Audiosource windSoundAudioSource;  //local private reference
    4. void Start ()
    5. {
    6. //Make private reference equal to your public reference.  Do it in Startup where speed does not matter
    7. windSoundAudioSource = WindSound.audio;
    8. //Now you make changes to the private reference =  much faster on mobile
    9. windSoundAudioSource.volume = 1f;  //This line is just to show you it works
    10. }
    Allan

MrEsquire likes this.
  18. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

BHS Is it possible to send you update of the 1.2.5 i did? that you could include in the next version?

There is few things that are important to fix: the component reference cached in start, translate in c# other scripts (have js class in a package to avoid compile time increase) and the player prefab pivot is not centered.

Except all this little problems it work great, i miss of some advice to optimise lighting on mobile, how did you guys proceed?

Is it a good idea to use a low quality lightmap to bake the scene?
    Without baking the environment dont look good at all. I have put object tagged as static, switch shader to use diffuse for props and used the mobile free vegetation shader from the store that work great as long as we bake them

19. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i have checked for these component, its cached first as a gameobject but the gameobject is only used to get the reference of its audiosource so instead of

//Stormsoundeffects
    public GameObject rainSound;
    public GameObject windSound;
    public GameObject windSnowSound;

changed them to

//Stormsoundeffects
    public AudioSource rainSound;
    public AudioSource windSound;
    public AudioSource windSnowSound;

its same for other components that cache in update

20. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i checked again, during the day the sun light is on, at night the sun light is off, but the moon light is not used, so night only have ambient light color, it look like its not finished.

so the better framerate at night is because at night it didnt use light.

i have prepared a version with all fixes you told earlier.
    I am waiting for BHS to answer me if he can send an update with this
    i corrected all the warning,
    referenced all the component directly in the inspector ( It used something like 120 getcomponents per frame before)
    translated the JS script missing in C# and packaged all JS stuff in a package to avoid compile them everytime.
    fixed the origin pivot to be in the center for the unistorm renderer, so its easier to center them on player now
    did some optimisation (replace some if statement by switch to avoid to go through 10 if statement for nothing)

i will fix the lights sun/moon if he is ok to update the store and finish the butterflies effect ( noticed it was disable by default)

21. Avinash

Avinash

last activity of dev is 11 months ago on asset store..can i expect any updates from the developer ?..

22. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the suggestions. We will try to get all these implemented for the submission of UniStorm Mobile 1.8.

#1 has already been taken care of, which was something simple that we shouldn't have missed.

We have been busy with the development of UniStorm Desktop which we then use to build UniStorm Mobile. We are close to submitting UniStorm Mobile and I say it shouldn't be more than a week.

We are going to be updating much more often now that we have implemented 100's of new features, tools, and optimizations. We plan on releasing monthly updates.

23. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Heya,

It's been a little over a week now, how long till version 1.8 of Unistorm Mobile?

24. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

next week ( since one year ).

25. UranFabrik

UranFabrik

Yep... Still waiting too.

26. BHS

BHS

It shouldn't be too much longer. We have UniStorm 1.8 converted to a mobile version. We are currently testing and optimizing the system.

27. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hey dude, any progress with this, I'm desperate waiting for mobile update, currently losing 7-15fps (plus using 2 cameras, one for sky and one for world render) so really could use this in game now.
    Hope you are ok etc.

28. John-Chen350

John-Chen350

Oh dear god when will you release the mobile version? Once you release I shall immediately buy it. Even a still beta one.

29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

They wrote that the mobile and the desktopversion will become one and i hope for an update that include the mobile new version too.

30. creat327

creat327

This hasn't been updated since September 2013, even though the guy keeps saying that in 1 week or maximum 2 weeks it will be released. Just read the posts. I would avoid this package completely until it is updated. It has so many bugs pending a fix since 2013 that it's practically a joke at this moment.

31. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone sorry for the delay.

UniStorm Desktop 1.8.1 has been submitted to the Asset Store and it's awaitin approval. This means we can get UniStorm Mobile equivalent to UniStorm Desktop.

We can now finalize the UniStorm Desktop version for UniStorm Mobile. This update will include over 100 new features and many fixes and improvements. This new update will also dynamic clouds and Shuriken support.

32. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Happy about that and hope it does not take so much time anymore :)

33. creat327

creat327

nah, if 1 week was 1 year, "soon" probably means yo uwon't see the mobile version until at least may

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I understand from where your words comes ;)
    But i am still belief in good things :)

35. creat327

creat327

Me too, just not on this dev. On the previous version I had to basically fix 80% of the issues myself, told him how to fix it and 2 months later he published the update. It took me 2 hours to fix it... he needed 2 months? :?
    Then if you see the thread, he's been talking about an update coming in a week, two weeks top... since September 2013. So yes, I may be wrong but his reputation is down the drain at this point. Thankfully there are multiple assets on the store to replace it and unless unistorm mobile is half the price and way awesome/faster than competing products, I see no point on risking a game on an asset that could be buggy and not updated for months or a whole full year.

And I write this because I did pay for this asset and basically realized I trashed my money. Nothing would make me happier that he releases an update FINALLY and that it runs fast on mobile and great quality.

36. BHS

BHS

The reason UniStorm Mobile has had a tough time being updated is because UniStorm Desktop usually takes up most our time. As well as other systems, UniStorm Mobile and Desktop are not our only systems.

We have a new way of doing things to make sure UniStorm Mobile is always equal to UniStorm Desktop. With this new way of doing things, UniStorm Mobile customers will see updates weeks after UniStorm Desktop updates.

If you'd like to see what's coming to UniStorm Mobile, within the next week, check out the UniStorm Desktop forum thread. Dynamic clouds are also on the list.

Yes, there are some other systems available to that of UniStorm Mobile, but they don't have nearly as many features. UniStorm Mobile, after the update, will have 200+ powerful customizable features. Also, all bugs from the previous version have been fixed. UniStorm Mobile has also been further optimized.

37. creat327

creat327

that's great, the issue here is that I can't trust anything you tell me because the forum is full of your posts saying: sorry for the delay, in 1 week it will be done. Sorry for the delay, we will release this as soon as we have the desktop version. Desktop versions came out, another post. Sorry for the delay, it should be on the store next week.
    And so on.
    See my point? Less words and more doing. If you had told your customers that you were going to delay OVER ONE YEAR for the update, we could have planned. The issue is that many of us trusted your words and waited, then waited again and then at the 4th time you told us "in 1 week" we knew you were plainly bs. And we were right. It's 2015 and it hasn't been updated since 2013.

So now, even if you release the mobile version, how do you expect us to trust that the next update will come quick if problems arise when you haven't fixed the basic stuff we requested a year ago that was URGENT ?

We spent money for a product that we expect to work. We didn't even ask for new features, we asked to fix the existing version, which we had to fix ourselves and send internally among us (your customers) because you would just keep saying "next week".

What will happen when customers find out that it doesn't work on Unity 5? Can we risk waiting for your fix another 14 months?

So let's see... you just said "if you want to see what's coming within one week of the desktop version..." you released yet again for desktop, this Saturday January 24, 2015. So within the week means that by January 31, 2015 (the latest), mobile version, optimized with all the requested fixes will be out.

Shall we believe in miracles?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  38. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile 1.8.1 has been submitted to the Asset Store. Our apologies for the delay, but UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile are now equal feature wise. This will make it much easier in the feature to release updates, in a timely manner.

We went through and optimized UniStorm Mobile. In our tests, on a mid range phone we got 60 fps, even with dynamic clouds. While there are some final tweaks and optimizations we would like to do with UniStorm Mobile, we will save them for a small update within the next week. This version is much better than the 1.2 version of UniStorm Mobile and will still perform well.

UniStorm Mobile will also use dynamic clouds. They performed well in our tests and looked great.

39. shwa

shwa

Great to hear this.

How many megs is it when exported to a web player?
    (Just unistorm, not the terrain, etc.)

thanks,

40. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

That is great news. Curious, how is Unistorm Mobile different from the Desktop Unistorm now? Or are they pretty much identical?

41. BHS

BHS

I'm not sure. We will have to check a webplayer build and let you know. I do know that the build size is much lower than with UniStorm Mobile 1.2. We have went through and reduced texture and sound file sizes.

They are similar, feature wise. UniStorm Mobile has been rewritten to be optimized for mobile devices, sound files sizes have been reduced, and textures have been reduced.

42. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

By "textures have been reduced", do you mean the texture resolutions have been reduced? If so, can you put them back? The Unity importer can reduce the texture resolution to a user's preference per platform, satisfying those that plan to make a more detailed mobile game while also allowing those who want a lower memory game. Thanks.

43. shwa

shwa

- thanks BHS, as per letting us know the webplayersize.

I agree with nosyrbllewe that allowing developers to control the visual quality and file size is useful.
    - key thing is to have clear instructions for people on how to do this.

44. BHS

BHS

By reduced, we mean we reduced the actual size of the original file. On mobile devices you shouldn't see any quality loss. The reason for this was that a lot our customers wanted a reduced build and package size. In order to do this we reduced the size of the texture and sound files. If our customers want the full quality textures, we can bring them pack with the next version of UniStorm Mobile. If customers choose not to use them, they can simply delete them because we will have a mobile version of the same textures.

45. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

BHV, i think i send you a pm but can ask here to.
    If i download 1.8.1 for desktop now, does this mean i have already the updatet version for mobile too?
    If not, when do you combine them as you told us?
    I want to make some test to change my actual weather system to yours in my project for mobile.

Edit:
    Just saw the mobile update in the store but again, i want to know if i now as a desktop license owner already have the mobile version and if not when do you combine them so i can have it?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  46. BHS

BHS

We will discuss this over a PM because you helped test last time.

47. BHS

BHS

48. shwa

shwa

Great. I'll check it out. Btw, i will likely using Unistorm Mobile on desktops and Laptops, as part of a web player experience. I'm going with mobile, so the viewer's web download time is reduce.

49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Ok, waiting for a massage from you. You can also send me an email.

50. BHS

BHS

PM sent.