Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[ON SALE - 20% OFF] UniStorm Mobile - Dynamic Day & Night Weather System (Includes UniStorm Desktop)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jun 25, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Big Awesome Changes!

We have given it a lot of thought and have decided to officially merge UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile systems. Best of all, our price will stay as promised at $60. Both versions have been submitted, containing both UniStorm Desktop 2.0 and UniStorm Mobile 2.0, and are awaiting approval. This is $120 worth of system for the same great price UniStorm has always been.

This affects both UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile packages on the Asset Store. We will include both systems for both versions of UniStorm. As of right now, this will only affect UniStorm for Unity 5. We are currently updating UniStorm for Unity 4 users that will also include the 2.0 update. After we have done this we will also merge the two systems.

For your convenience, we have made the two systems in two separate folders; UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile. We have renamed the UniStorm Mobile scripts with _Mobile so users know the difference between the two. Both systems work in with in the same project.

UniStorm Mobile is now updated to version 2.0 and has been rewritten and tweaked to be as efficient as possible for mobile devices. During our mobile tests we retained a solid 60 fps on a nearly 3 generation old phone.

This will make it much easier for updates in the future as every system will be in 1 package. Our goal is to eventually have UniStorm Desktop and UniStorm Mobile by just one system. This is also our way of giving back to the UniStorm community. We appreciate all the continued support and interest in our system over the last 3 1/2 years. We will continue to work on UniStorm and provide new updates with out charging our customers for updates, true to our word when we first started UniStorm.

We hope everyone likes the announcement. We have a lot of new and exciting features coming to both systems so keep an eye out for our updates. Feel free to comment if you have any questions or suggestions.

UniStorm Mobile 1.8.1 has been accepted and now live on the Asset Stoee. UniStorm Mobile is the first system to have efficient dynamic clouds on mobile devices!

UniStorm Mobile Dynamic Weather System

The well-known weather system "UniStorm" now has a mobile version that has all the same great features as the desktop version, minus the image effects.

UniStorm Mobile is an incredibly powerful dynamic day and night weather system that creates incredible storms and weather for mobile devices, all at a blazing fast frame rate.

UniStorm Mobile works great and has been tested for both Android and Apple devices. Window's Mobile devices and Blackberry devices are currently being tested. We're expecting these platforms to be supported.

UniStorm Mobile now features dynamic clouds. UniStorm Mobile has also been rewritten and updated. It is now much more efficient and has over 200 customizable components.

Buy UniStorm Mobile

UniStorm Mobile is available on the Asset Store here:

http://u3d.as/content/black-horizon-studios/uni-storm-mobile/3a2

An Alternative to Skyboxes

While UniStorm is a dynamic day and night weather system, it can also be used for static weather. UniStorm allows you to set the weather and make it static so it never changes, this also goes for the time of day. This means you can have different scenes each with different weather like, partly cloudy, cloudy, clear, sunny, rainy, stormy, or foggy, with any time of day like, morning, day, evening, or night! It's basically an adjustable Skybox with working weather and animated cloud cover. Never buy a Skybox again, this is an all in one system.

UniStorm Mobile's Performance

UniStorm Mobile does all this at a blazing fast frame rate and uses just 4 draw calls! The videos below show the efficiency of this system. UniStorm lets you control every setting and component imaginable. Things like Max Rain Intensity and Max Snow Intensity so you can cap the max particles spawned for that weather type to find a setting that's right for your device. We have done many tests and found a default setting that performs excellent for all devices.

UniStorm Mobile Pricing

UniStorm Mobile is a separate system for purchase from UniStorm for Desktop. A lot of work went into UniStorm Mobile and to develop a dynamic day and night weather system to run on a mobile device this smoothly. We can assure you that it will be well worth it and will be a much better alternative to skyboes. UniStorm is very versatile and can pretty much find a place in any game or project.

UniStorm Mobile Testing and Devices

The device used for testing was a low to mid range android 2.2 tablet. I achieved the max frame rate 60 fps (as much as the fps calculator goes) through the entire tests. The only slight dips are just from the transition from not stormy to stormy and are unnoticeable, after the transition the fps stays at 60 fps while it's storming. The other test shows that the system keeps a consistent 60 fps on a clear day, both day and night. This goes for other weather types too.

An iPhone 4 and iPad 3rd gen were also used in testing UniStorm achieving similar smooth and fast frame rate to the android devices.

If you have any questions please ask.

UniStorm Screenshots (version 1.2)

$UniStormMobileSceen2.png
    $UniStormMobileScreen1.png
    $UniStormMobileScreen3.png
    $UniStormMobileScreen9.png
    $UniStormMobileScreen5.png

UniStorm Mobile (v1.0) Video Demonstrations

iPad 3rd Gen Test Video:

UniStorm Mobile - Day/Cylce:

UniStorm Mobile - Rain Storm:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Do i have to use terrain from unity or can i use t4m or imported geometry from other 3d model programms as terrain?

Is there some kind of upgrade price for us who have bought the other version?

3. BHS

BHS

The terrain you see in the demo is just a 3d mesh. What I did was I created a terrain using Unity's terrain tools then used a free plugin that exports the terrain as an .obj 3d mesh so it can be used on a mobile device.

As for upgrading, there isn't a way to upgrade because everything is on the Asset Store and this project will be brand new. Most likely there will be no upgrade price because it is a completely separate system. It will be the same price for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. goat

goat

So I went and bought a iPod touch 4th Gen (mainly for Unistorm Mobile when it comes out) so I have iOS openGL ES 2.0. The cheap Android (LG GTE540 Optima) phone runs Android 2.2 and OpenGL ES 2.0...

What about iPhones, iPod, and Android that are running openGL 1.1?

I have a game that Unistorm Mobile would be great for adding 'atmosphere'...more as a diffierentiator then as a necessity although I could tweak the difficulty of completing tasks and tie that somewhat to the weather.

5. BHS

BHS

I have not yet tested any apple devices, but I have a few people lined up testing apples devices for UniStorm Mobile. I'm sure the apple products will do just fine. I will let everyone know the results when I have had others run the tests.

6. Returner

Returner

Can't wait looking forward to this. I'm more excited for this plug in then any others.

7. BHS

BHS

I've been hard at work with UniStorm Mobile. I have further improved the system by reprogramming some things and rewriting some algorithms to better suit mobile devices. The system runs at an incredible 4 draw calls and 60 fps, virtually not affecting performance.

Another great use for UniStorm; especially for mobile devices:

While UniStorm is a dynamic day and night weather system it can also be used for static weather. UniStorm allows you to set the weather and make it static so it never changes, this also goes for the time of day. This means you can have different scenes each with different weather like, partly cloudy, cloudy, clear, sunny, rainy, stormy, or foggy, with any time of day like, morning, day, evening, or night! It's basically an adjustable Skybox with working weather and animated cloud cover. Never buy a Skybox again, this is an all in one system.

UniStorm Mobile

Thanks, good to hear.

8. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Do you have a time for released picked out for mobile? Im dieing to try it out for my projects.

9. BHS

BHS

I'd say no more than a week. I have some programming to finish up, then final tests with other devices to make sure things work properly. If the tests go well, it could be submitted in a week or less.

10. atmuc

atmuc

do you plan to pack both mobile and desktop edition? if you supply separate packages, that means developer must have 2 different projects for multiplatform games.

11. BHS

BHS

Yes, I plan on having a separate edition with both the desktop and mobile versions packed. As well as being able to buy the 2 systems separately.

12. atmuc

atmuc

great ! i hope you will not just merge 2 package's files. i expect to use it once and without any change i will be able to deploy it to all platforms like ios, android, mac and windows. can i do that with your combined package?

13. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am also interested in the deploy to all feature ;)

Send you a PM.

14. kenlem

kenlem

Will this have snow support?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  15. BHS

BHS

Snow will be a feature added in the next version, as well as seasons like the desktop version. Adding it now would slow the release date.

16. goat

goat

It also needs sleet and hail.

I have a question. On the rain is it adjustable in ways that make it look like a light sprinkle to a steady rain to a torrential downpour? And with wind ans still? The video the rain 'tracks' stay on the screen too long and are too bright and thick. It looks like a media shower.

17. zillion

zillion

When will this be released?
    In desperate need of an asset like this!
    Great job!

18. BHS

BHS

The seasonal weather will come in the next version and yes sleet is a great idea.

Yes, everything you've said is adjustable. You can adjust the rain amount for light rain and storms. This also lets you adjust things for performance tweaks too. It's kind of thick and slow because I wanted to make sure people could see the effect, you can easily change it to your liking.

Thank you, I'm just finishing up with some new and improved cloud textures, doing some final test with iPhone and iPad, and then I will be done. I'd say 3 or 4 days till submission.

19. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile is finished and has been submitted.

20. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Cool! Congrats. Looking forward to it.

21. atmuc

atmuc

price?

mobile + desktop package?

22. BHS

BHS

Well both systems are $60 each so I could make a packaged deal for $110 or something. I will make a separate asset store submission that includes both systems together. Buying the package deal will give you around 10% off.

23. atmuc

atmuc

will this package just be the merge of 2 packages? now desktop version is $42. i can buy desktop and mobile later then the cost would be lower.

if the there are core components for desktop and mobile edition %10 is not enough.

24. BHS

BHS

Well UniStorm is only $42 till tomorrow, it was part of the madness sale. This was a very rare sale that won't happen again. Making a system that works with both desktop and mobile isn't possible due to the effects used and the changes that need to be made to the mobile version. That's why they will be split up into 2 scene, but you can still buy them as one pack for a discount price.

I could go $100 for both packs which would be around 20% off, or $50 for each pack.

25. BHS

BHS

26. BHS

BHS

The iPhone 4 and the iPad 1st gen have been tested with UniStorm with great results. They both work well and tests showed great speed performance. Video demonstrations of the test will be posted soon.

27. BHS

BHS

Here's the video demonstrations of UniStorm Mobile on both the iPhone 4 and the iPad 1st gen. Both devices preformed well with excellent frame rate.

iPad Test Video:

iPhone 4 Test Video:

28. Karsnen_2

Karsnen_2

The package is very comprehensive. I just have a few questions.

1. Rain - Say I would like to affect the player's impact when the rain falls upon the player. I do not mean every single drop but just to give a illusion and feel on random drops. Is it possible?

2. I hope that the package does come with it's respective sound effects so that I need not worry about sound effects concerned with nature.

3. I hope through scripting I could dramatically change the day/night and etc.

4. No matter how much I stress the UniStorm system - I would end up with only 4 draw calls. (target iPad2 and iPad3)

5. Any chance of creating shadows depending upon the sunlight?

6. If there is a SUN, do you guys have Lens Flare?

Thank you. The system looks great - Congrats.

EDIT: Do you guys have a video tutorial documentation associated with it, so that I could get a grip upon it?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  29. BHS

BHS

Hi and thanks,

1. You could do this with collisions and layers using the world particle collider. Simply ignore all layers except for the player's layer. I will send you a script to handle splashes via PM.

2. Yes, the package comes with rain, wind, and thunder sound effects.

3. Yes, although the system is dynamic, you can change all the components in the UniStorm editor.

4. With the iPad 2 and iPad 3 I would say yes, the system is very efficient.

5. If you have Unity Mobile Pro I believe they have real time shadows, you would just turn the shadows on in the suns options.

6. You could add sun flares, or we could help you, but they don't react with the clouds because it has to be a solid object.

7. Yes, there was documentation included with the system, but we will be greatly improving the documentation in the next version of UniStorm Mobile.

Great to hear you like the system. If you have anymore questions just ask.

30. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Only in Unity 4 mobile pro :)

31. kersk

kersk

Hi, sorry if I'm incorrect about this, but it looks like there might be some confusion as to what iOS devices are being demonstrated here -- that is definitely not a 1st gen iPad since it has a front facing camera and it's white, so it's an iPad 2 or 3. And that doesn't really look like an iPhone 4 either, more like a 3GS? It's difficult to tell due to the lighting and camera angle though, it might just be a 3rd party case on the phone.

Just wanted to help clear this up since it's better for everyone if we have more accurate expectations on how this performs.

The package itself looks great, glad to see it working on mobiles!

Thanks!

32. BHS

BHS

I wasn't the tester for the IOS devices, I hired someone to do it for me because I don't have a Mac computer. The tester said that the devices were iPad 1 and iPhone 4 I can double check with him, but I'm pretty sure they're correct. If the older devices work the newer devices will work also, but perform better to due the technology advancements.

33. imtrobin

imtrobin

I have Unistorm 1.5, so now there is separate package for mobile? Are they mergable if I have a project targeting both PC and mobile.

34. BHS

BHS

Yes, it's a separate package. I believe you could merge the two, but you would need to change the WeatherScriptSystem scrip name to something else like WeatherScriptSystemMobile.

35. robocognito

robocognito

Is there any documentation available online?

36. BHS

BHS

There's no documentation online, it's included in the UniStorm Mobile package. The documentation will be updated with the new version release.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  37. BHS

BHS

As soon as we have finished with UniStorm 1.6 (Desktop Version) we will begin converting everything we've done with 1.6 to UniStorm Mobile.

The new check boxes in the editor will make it much easier to have static weather or time. Mobile users will essentially have a changeable dynamic skybox with working weather. You can set any time of day, with any kind of weather such as rain, snow, fog, partly cloudy, ect, with working animated clouds. You will have endless possibilities with the skies and scenes you can create with this system.

* Seasons
    * Temperature generator (to control snow if desired)
    * Snow, leaves, and other seasonal weather types
    * Various improvements and fixes
    * Check box to disable or enable stopping the time 100%.
    * Check box to disable or enable the weather static, meaning it will never change.
    * Check box to disable or enable the time of day scroll bar.
    * Check box to disable or enable instant weather.
    * Check box to disable or enable the weather command prompt system.
    * Weather command prompt system to change the weather in-game if desired.
    * And much more..

38. Xeir

Xeir

Out of curiosity, are you still considering bundling the 2 packages together? Still slapping myself for not picking up the Desktop version when you had it discounted. Ahh well.

39. BHS

BHS

Yes, as soon as UniStorm 1.6 (Desktop Version) is done we will be doing a packaged deal on the Asset Store including both the mobile and desktop version of UniStorm.

40. Xeir

Xeir

Excellent, I'll be looking forward to that!

41. eyo

eyo

I'm just wondering, if you don't want dynamic clouds can you use Unity's skybox with this asset, and hook the weather conditions up to the materials self illumination to get a simulated day/night effect?

42. BHS

BHS

As of now, no, but this is a good idea and can easily be added in the up coming new version.

43. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Can the mobile version be used in standalone(desktop) and web players as well? I really like the original UniStorm but I'm affraid that it will slow down my game too much, so I thought of purchasing this "lighter" version. Would that work?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  44. Goldrake

Goldrake

Any news on the new release (new features) of the mobile version?

45. BHS

BHS

The desktop version of UniStorm is very efficient for desktop computers and shouldn't affect your game. This has been tested with the profiler. The mobile version of UniStorm is much lighter but it's meant to run on mobile devices. If you want the desktop version to run more efficiently than it already does, you can disable shadows or some image effects.

Yes, as soon as we update the desktop version of UniStorm to 1.6.3 then we will update UniStorm Mobile. UniStorm Mobile's update will run more efficiently, have a greatly improved editor, and much more. UniStorm Mobile's update should be out sometime in January.

46. daisySa

daisySa

Can the cloud animation move faster?

47. BHS

BHS

Not yet in the UniStorm editor. This will be a new feature in the next update along with many more improvements and a completely redone custom editor.

48. derkoi

derkoi

Is it possible to alter the colours of the skies?

49. BHS

BHS

Yes, this is done by adjusting the background colors. If you want to adjust the clouds, you alter the fog colors in the UniStorm Editor.

50. derkoi

derkoi

Sounds great. :)