Search Unity

UniDDatabase 3.4, Inline Documentation, Ascii built-in,Newbie Friendly

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by namoricoo, Jun 1, 2012.

1. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm here to introduce you guys to the lates update to UniDDatabase. This is the first Video I made after the update. My system is the most advanced database management system for Unity. Here is the asset store link: Asset Store Link

UniDDatabase works out of the box with Mac, PC, Android, IOS, and Webplayer. It requires zero configuration

*************Flash is not supported at the moment*************

Look at the great reviews.

Attached Files:

2. namoricoo

namoricoo

still waiting for any questions or suggestions.

3. henry96

henry96

Can you tell me what this does?

4. namoricoo

namoricoo

That's a good question Henry96, I'll give you the technical and the non-technical answer.

1) Technical:It's a non-relational data management system for unity that will let you manage text,int,float, Prefabs,Textures,AudioClips,remote assets,etc.

2)Non-Technical:If you are making any games. you need assets. Prefabs,pictures, music,and data. The way the majority of people make their games today. They will hard-code everything in the C# or Js file. Or they may use playmaker to visually set everything up. If you ever need to change something. For example, if you have a song from Motzart that appears in 10 levels. Now we have to manage all of that yourself. If you ever need to change it. You'll have to go in all 10 levels and change the song.

My product will allow you to separate the data from the presentation in your video game, the way same a web developer is able to separate the data in a website. So if that Motzart music is in UniDDatabase, you just have to change it one time. The change will automatically appear in all of the levels.

I use the same logic in my menu system. Instead of have a lot of Senders and Receivers. I just get what I need from the database and save it to the database.

To make a long story short. UniDDatabase is the easiest way to separate your data from the presentation of that data. I have more videos I need to make. However, I'm not getting any feedback from the community.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. henry96

henry96

Pretty Informative! And it sounds pretty helpful. By the way, your example is what I faced sometimes. And it is absolutely annoying. Glad you make something like this :D

6. namoricoo

namoricoo

I give that example because it's the same problem I had. After I finished developing this, I wanted to share it with the community. I wanted the Editor and the Runtime scripts.
    1) The Editor will let you manage your data without having to write any code.
    2)You can copy and paste what you are looking for in the inline documentation so you'll never get lost.

Finally, once you understand how to work with one component. It's the same exact logic for the other parts. So if you know how to work with text. You also know how to work with pictures, AudioClips, and Prefabs. You spend less time worrying About Data and more time focusing on making a fun game.

7. namoricoo

namoricoo

Any questions?

8. namoricoo

namoricoo

The last update is pretty stable. This week I will be adding support for Colors. This can come in handy when you have several objects with the same color. A good example would be if your menu buttons have a theme. If you have 45 buttons in your game. Instead of setting the color of each button, you can load the color from the database. that way instead of changing each button if you need to change the color theme of you game. You can just update the color in the database. The update will automatically appear in the entire game.

9. Galahad

Galahad

Hi Namoricoo, thanks for all your hard work, that is indeed a powerful tool!

Now a question, there is any additional step someone has to do before building for iOS? I tried everything with the 3.0 version but the Bad Access error persisted.

thanx again.

10. tasadar

tasadar

hmm, can this bring moddability to a game in some way?

11. namoricoo

namoricoo

The current version of the product is 3.4. Download the latest version of the product and that should resolve the problem.

It just works across all platforms with zero configuration. That's what I was looking for.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  12. namoricoo

namoricoo

Can you rephrase your question. moddability can mean complexity. It can also mean open. It has several other meanings as well. I need to know exactly what your question is before I give an answer.

13. tasadar

tasadar

i mean the ability to make modifications to a game by the community.

14. namoricoo

namoricoo

This is an easy way to make modifications by the developer. If somebody gets their hands on your file and they don't have your key. Even if they own my product. They will be locked out. I turned off the AES Encryption so that I could get the webplayer working. In the next update I will turn it back on.

If you have a Sqlite file in your project. Any idiot under the sun can open it because there is no encryption. So this tool is designed to separate your data from the presention. And it also adds an extra level of security.

15. namoricoo

namoricoo

Making progress on the next wave of updates.

16. techmage

techmage

Great work as always namoricoo, been watching your stuff for a while but still haven't really moved to it from sqlite. Other developers in my office use sqlite for iOS / objective-c functionalities, so I've just been using it in Unity as well. But I'm starting to wonder if theres more fluent things to use in Unity other than Sqlite.

What I am curious to know about your system, is exactly how can you do queries with it and how comprehensive the query system is.

I am encountering instances in my project where I need to store sqlite queries with like 10 different properties and relations to other databases. Where like for example, in one table I have 100 objects with indexes. Then I have two other tables that use those indexes to specify orders of the objects. Then in SQLite I use table Join commands and what not.

I'd be interested in seeing you set up some complex relational data structures that use multiple tables and then demonstrate what kind of queries you can do on it.

17. namoricoo

namoricoo

Thanks for the question and the kind words techmage. As you pointed out I also have the UniSqlite in the AssetStore. However, this product UniDDatabase is a video game optimized, non-relational database management system. That's the long definition. I noticed when I'm making games for example. I may need one audioClip or Several audio clip. Let say for example I need 20 AudioClip in a scene. I'll just copy and paste from the inline documentation and set the value I need.

With Sqlite I have to write complex Statements in order to get what I needed. There is no support for Audioclips, Prefabs, Texture2D, AssetBundles with Sqlite.

However, with UniDDatabase. I just load it in the table. Copy and paste the code from the inlineEditor. Now that's real progress in my opinion. Copy and paste with little to no modification depending on what you are trying to do.

If you are making an iPhone app. It makes sense to use Sqlite. However, when making a Unity game. Nothing will come close to the power and flexibility of UniDDatabase.

18. namoricoo

namoricoo

I have 62 satisfied customers for UniDDatabase....

19. johnny12345

johnny12345

do you have any plans to make playmaker actions for this asset

20. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm working about 80 hours per week. I know I should have playmaker action in the near future. I'll add it to my extensive to do list.

21. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

Can encryption be disabled?

I am planning on building some community tools to add content to my game and I'd love it if they could save their own DB of whatever they're working on. But I don't need the overhead of encryption.

22. namoricoo

namoricoo

At the moment the encryption is off in the current version. Encryption does not add a significant overhead.

23. xadhoom

xadhoom

Hi namoricoo,

I´m wondering if UniDDatabase supports "data change" events. E.g. if a UI list displays a row of data entries, can this list listen to an inbuilt event which informs if entries of the row have changed or added/removed if not temporary muted? Or is it by design necessary to trigger these events at different places?

xad

24. namoricoo

namoricoo

I have been able to use UniDDatabase with both UIToolkit and NGUI. What you have to understand it UniDDatabase is in the backend. So any events are handled in the front end. What ever system you are using will have it's own event system.

25. xadhoom

xadhoom

Thanks namoricoo,

This sounds like a good design decision, keeping things flexible at the front end.

xad

26. matty47

matty47

Hi,
    I watched the videos and purchased but am having trouble getting started with the usage of uniddatabase. Is there any documentation for beginners or do I have to look over the provided examples? Help!
    Thanks
    Matthew

27. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

I just bought the asset. Is there a 'Search' function for the end- user? I would like to map out prefabs , each containing databases with names. When they want to look up a particular name it jumps right to that location with all the info showing. How to do that?