Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniCar - Unity 5 Vehicle Physics Project

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JamesArndt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I put up a live alpha build for folks to play with, test and report any glaring bugs (which there surely are). This is a standalone PC build and a soft launch of sorts. I've learned to live with a few bugs in the alpha demo and get them resolved as the project progresses.

http://fatboxsoftware.com/unicar/4589126921

UnityLighting, cl9-2 and boysenberry like this.
  2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Sounds cool, I'll have to try it out later. Any chance of a demo video on YouTube?

Edit: Doh - just spotted the video on the page you linked!

3. cl9-2

cl9-2

Does the car controller component accept inputs for torque, steering, and brake within the range of -1 to +1?

Any possibility of either an OS X or WebGL build?

Thanks!

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yep the OSX build is coming. The input is clamped to 0-1...using horizontal and vertical input. I will be adding in mobile support via the new Unity UI and with NGUI. You can set brake power, engine torque and steering sensitivity per vehicle.

5. cl9-2

cl9-2

So there will be public properties for Throttle that ranges from 0..1, as well as Brake that also ranges from 0 to 1, correct? What will be the steering range?

UnityUI is a good idea, except for one or two vehicle packages, all of them appear to still use the legacy UI.

I just tried the demo under Windows and provided feedback.

6. CoderPro

CoderPro

This physics seem like Car physics from Unity Sample Package.

7. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I want to use the triggers on the XBOX 360 controller for brakes and throttle. I tried to assign brakes and throttle to triggers but the dialog box for assigning input says axis 9, not axis 3.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I did a direct port of my own system from Unity 4.xxx. Any similarity must be the fact they are both car physics setups. I didn't see any monster trucks jumping jumps and staying stable in-air with the built in Unity car. :)

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

You bring up a good point of making sure xbox controller support is there. I do have a 360 controller on my workstation so I'll test it. As far as my experience the triggers are axis 9 and 10. Left trigger is 0-1 on axis 9 and right trigger is 0-1 on axis 10.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Xbox360Controller

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Any chances of any other features, perhaps a similar damage system to edy's or UnityCar? I'm talking about that mesh bending script somebody shared during the "gta physics" competition.

Maybe an enter/exit mechanic to allow swapping into a regular character controller and switching into another nearby vehicle by walking close?

I figure these features are probably not on the to-do list but I'm just curious, and they might drum up more attention on the project!