Search Unity

Uni2D tool: A new amazing way to create 2D games in Unity!!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Bento-Studio, Jul 6, 2012.

1. devandart

devandart

@Bento-Studio
    Hi Bento-Studio,

in our current game we want to have 4 different Characters with many individual Animation Clips.
    The player can switch between them in realtime because each character has it's own specials.
    So I would like to create for each Character a Uni2DSprite / single prefab.

Do you have an idea how to handle this because your prefabs lose the connection by instantiating???

Thanks a lot.
    I hope you understand my problem.

Cheers.

2. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

create all characters in the scene, but keep 3 of them outside the level (in a box somewhere).
    And simply change the positions at changing characters. That way you have all characters wirh connection.

3. devandart

devandart

Yeah okay, but I don't want to attach all my components to all characters.
    And the other problem is, that I want to have them all usable in new scenes.

But then the asset connection is lost.

Isn't there a workaround? :confused:
    Maybe I should create a "Player" Prefab with all controllers etc. and all sprites are only sprites with Tags "Character1" for example.
    Then I search for this sprite in the scene and use it...

I'll wait for other ideas.

But thanks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. gdeglin

gdeglin

Hi. We're running into a problem where Uni2D sometimes modifies the meta files for every single image file in our project when sharing code via version control.

Here's an example of the kind of change that is made to each meta file (first line deleted, second line added)
    labels:
    -- Uni2DID_9edfd2ff-a9cd-4e79-a9f7-20244c15015c
    +- Uni2DID_a686a8ab-2c1e-47f4-8026-46bba9d3c8e8

Anyone know how to fix this?

On a side note, the Uni2D/NGUI compatibility issues are annoying. Hope the next version resolves them!

5. p6r

p6r

Here is my video to show a nice way to use Uni2D and Grey/White Textures to colorize then to deform or to animate :
    (Sorry for the bad quality of the video ! Look at 720 p !)

6R

6. paul-velocity

paul-velocity

yea, was looking for soemthing out of the box really, as id have to wrap, background , foreground, collision layer, entities, pickups and enemies :-(

7. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@devandart We're not sure of what you exactly want to do. Could I suggest you to do some screenshots to explain what you exactly expect

@p6r Cool!

@ paul-velocity We take note of your wishes.

@gdeglin
    These problems will be fixed in the upcoming 2.02.
    Release planned for the next week!

Cheers!

8. devandart

devandart

Thanks for your answer.
    I think my main problem is, that I want to use animationSprites as real prefabs with update-connection in all scenes. :D
    For example when I add a new animationClip I want it in all scenes.
    I know this is not really possible but isn't there a workaround for this?

Another question is, if it's a good idea to have many many animation frames?
    Our animationClips have up to 50 frames and everytime I change sth. the atlas is recreated and it takes many seconds. :D

Cheers.

9. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@devandart Hello, you can only use Prefabs in runtime for now. So you can do a spawner of GameObject with the constraint that you will not see the result in editor. About your second question, we prefer regenerate even if it's not very efficient, to be sure that everything is well changed (due to a Unity constraint) but we may find a better solution in the next update to improve this.

10. Gorgor

Gorgor

Hi,
    great to hear that Uni2D-NGUI problem si going to be resolved. I just want to point out that Uni2D also breaks "uTomate" plugin.. I use uTomate to build mac/windows players but if I add Uni2D plugin into the project, building players freezes Unity. I'd like to point out that it is not necessary to use uTomate to freeze unity. I can build player the standard manual way with uTomate AND UNI2D in project and it freezes unity.. if I remove Uni2D everything works fine..
    So just telling you to let you know.. hopefully your update somehow resolves even this and if not, the next one will.

11. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Gorgor
    Hello! Thanks for this feedback. We hope the upcoming version will fix this. I added some details in PM. Meanwhile, could you try to contact uTomate's support? The only thing from our side that could cause a trouble on the uTomate's side, is about the texture management. Please, could you check with uTomate's creator what could be in conflict with the texture management?

12. kork

kork

Hi, I'm from Ancient Light Studios, the creator of uTomate. I guess it's easier if we work this out here instead of sending our customers back and forth :D I found the following stack trace in the log of our mutual customer:

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3.   at Uni2DEditorAssetTable.get_Instance () [0x0008a] in /Users/Gorgor/Documents/development/Unity/Projects/2dLightsTest/Assets/Root/Plugins/Uni2D/Sprite/Scripts/AssetManagement/Uni2DEditorAssetTable.cs:115
    4.   at Uni2DAssetPostprocessor.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] a_rImportedAssets, System.String[] a_rDeletedAssets, System.String[] a_rMovedAssets, System.String[] a_rMovedFromPath) [0x00010] in /Users/Gorgor/Documents/development/Unity/Projects/2dLightsTest/Assets/Root/Plugins/Uni2D/Sprite/Scripts/AssetManagement/Uni2DAssetPostprocessor.cs:73
    This looks like an asset postprocessor is failing at or after the build. I wonder if that could be the reason for the freezing. Would you be willing to supply me with an evaluation copy of Uni2D, so I could conduct some more tests to see why this breaks?

13. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@kork

PM sent.

14. Gorgor

Gorgor

To all interested..
    Both uTomate and NGUI incompatibilities were resolved in version 2.02 - version sent to me today (ahead of official release I suppose). Going to update ma AS review:)
    Big thanks to both Uni2D and uTomate guys!..

15. p6r

p6r

I always have this "4096 behaviour" in Version 2.01 under Unity 3.5.7 !?!

6R

16. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Sorry I forget to mention this have been fixed for the upcoming 2.02 (submit planned for today)

17. p6r

p6r

Hmmm...
    Yes, when we drag and drop pictures in Unity 3.5.7 with Unid2D 2.0.2 imported, the textures are now 1024 Max size for example... GREAT !
    BUT when I create a sprite, the texture suddenly has a "Max size" of 4096 !!! And then + 1 Mb instead of 300 kb !!! Normal ???

Regards,
    6R

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  18. fmarkus

fmarkus

No response... Must be a french company...

19. BTStone

BTStone

@fmarkus

Snap, you did know Bento-Studio IS actually a french company, didn't you :D ?

20. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Yes apologize for missing your post and indeed we are french ;) So no there is no other way to set keyframes but you could still use Keyframe manager shipped for free with Uni2D 2.0.1 to manage your keys. It's a very useful tool. And about Chipmunk we know it but we'll use the native Unity implementation of Box2D for the future. Cheers!

21. fmarkus

fmarkus

;)

Is it possible to know what's new in the update?

22. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@fmarkus Yes, it contains bug fixes concerning the atlas issue with the combination of Ngui or with other plugins and small workflow improvement. The update have been sent for more than a week and seems to have been accepted but I get no confirmation from Unity. It's very strange. The next update will be 2.1 and will contain a new amazing feature. Stay tuned!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  23. fmarkus

fmarkus

Sounds great! What's the new feature?!!!? ;)
    By the way Michel Ancel, the author of the Rayman series is my brother in law :)

24. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

By the way Michel Ancel, the author of the Rayman series is my brother in law :)

He is a bloody Genius!

25. fmarkus

fmarkus

He is!

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

hi bento studio

sorry if this has been asked already, how do i switch the texture to use a hires version for retina, without altering the mesh/bones?

thanks

27. devandart

devandart

28. egor.shaldov

egor.shaldov

Please tell me why when I download the latest version of the repository are ALWAYS billed meta files for ALL image files

29. Ash_Woodlander

Ash_Woodlander

Hi, Bento-Studio. Sorry for my bad English at first. Thanx for so good asset.
    But a have some questions. Help me, please.

1) How can i flip animation? Horizontal or vertical.I don't know, how can i do it. I can flip texture, but my texture is atlas for animation... Maybe i can't understand some things...help me please.

2) Can i edit the atlases? I know only how create automatic, but i can't create atlas which i want. Only when i add texture to Uni2dSprite, or to AnimationClip. But don't know how can i do it myself. I want select some png images, press any button, and take atlas.

3) How can i do multi-resolution graphic packs for my mobile game(IOS, Android). In 2dtoolkit i can choose overrides for the camera, and build many resolution packs of the graphix. How can i do it in Uni2d?

Sorry, again.

30. Ves

Ves

Amazing plugin. I just have a quick question: what's the best way to animate a character's limbs? Should the limbs be children of the body, and then each have their own bone structure animation clip?

Thanks for your time!

31. Rekkou

Rekkou

Greetings, pardon my bad grammar but i need to ask a question. Is the bone axis in Uni2d is limited only to one axis?

Right now, i am currently trying to animate a wing, but the movement i wanted to do seems impossible because the bone can only rotate to one direction.

32. Mihai-Ionut

Mihai-Ionut

I got a character made from parts that are in an atlas,everything good (3 draw calls,9 saved by batching) but when I start an animation, batching doesn't works anymore,I get 12 draw calls.In the animation(made with Unity Animation) i change the transform and for one sprite I change the alfa of the material. All sprites are quads,no shadows or light mapping.

33. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

Hello everyone,
    Apologize for delaying our answers.

@Ash_Woodlander
    1) Try to use negative scale to invert your sprites.
    2) You can create manual atlas by creating an atlas texture and adding them manually in the list of sprites.
    3) Uni2D doesn't support yet the multi-resolution feature.

@Ves
    It depends of your character, but yes you should connect them to the body and beginning by a root empty object to control the character position/orientation. Uni2D allows you to move bone into the hierarchy and rename the bones but remember that you can't rename the bones after you create the animation.

@Rekkou
    You can animate only in 2D from the uni2D inspector but you can animate in all the axis from the animation vie or by manipulating the 3D gizmos.

@Mihai Ionut
    Did you change the scale of the sprites?

34. mcmorry

mcmorry

Any plan for this feature?

35. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@mcmorry
    Sorry not yet unfortunately :/

36. Mihai-Ionut

Mihai-Ionut

@Bento-Studio Yes,I am changing the scale in some of the sprites but not all.

37. Yendall

Yendall

Is there a release date for Uni2D 2.1? I'm excited for this new amazing feature haha :)

I also have a question about Sprite Animation:

Say I created a character sprite with controllers with added animation clips for walking. Is there a way to script the sprite to start certain animations on key down? for example: if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.D) { animation.Play }

This IF statement doesn't work because I am assuming Uni2D uses a completely different animation system to the standard Unity3D system. Is there a way to play these clips given certain scenarios?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  38. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@Mihai Ionut
    Yes that's why you may have some unwanted drawcalls try to use our "sprite scale" instead of regular resize. And please note that if you use skinning on GPU batching can't be done.

39. devandart

devandart

Yeah a new feature...
    Bones with inverse kinematics? :D

Your Plugin is so awesome, thanks again for that!

40. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

XD - devand is hungry for inverse kinematics
    But yes - that sould be awesome.

+1 for InKi bones :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  41. teamkrinoid

teamkrinoid

Having a weird issue with Uni2D (latest version) and Unity 4.2.1

I create a blank project, import Uni2D from the asset store, and the example scenes run fine. However, I can't drag and drop sprites from the project into the scene view; the cursor turns into a circle with a dash in it. I was convinced by a friend to get Uni2D after I saw his workflow of dragging sprites from the project into the scene view. Any reason why this wouldn't be working? It should work in a blank project...

42. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

be sure to have the uni2D sprite manager opened and as active window in the foreground :)
    without it, the uni2D functions are not updating - means no mouse or keysystem and drag&drop

43. Bento-Studio

Bento-Studio

@teamkrinoid, Chaosgod_Espér just given the answer to your problem! Thanks

44. alex-ra

alex-ra

Having an question about the drawcalls, I have a complex system of rigging for a character , it has only 2 bone systems, all the sprites fit in one atlas, in theory i should have 5 to 6 drawcalls(2 bones per bonesystem, one from an alpha value and one from the atlas), but it gives 7.
    I've found that only some of the sprites are making one drawcall, but they don't have any bones on them(but are parented to a bone) and have no scale value changed, also i used texture to mesh to do some alpha cutoff (but all the sprites have alpha cutoff and only these are giving one drawcall).

From where do i have one drawcall in plus?
    And why some times uni2d bones give 3 drawcalls for 2 bone systems and some times 4?

The caracter is for mobile device so one drawcall its very important for me. :-s

$AAA.jpg

Update:
    I've managed to discover this situation:

when i disable the head group and keep a hand group i still have +1 drawcall
    when i disable a hand group i have -1 drawcall

when i disable the hand group and keep the head group +1 drawcall
    when i disable the head group -1 drawcall

It's like something cumulative is eating one drawcall.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  45. alex-ra

alex-ra

I found out why, when my sprites with alpha, pass through the front and the back of the skinned mesh i have another drawcall in plus.

46. timelord

timelord

Hello,

Im trying to figure out how to start a Uni2DSprite animation when a box trigger has a collision. I added this script to my box collider only to get a error
    Here is my code......

public var sprite : Uni2DSprite;
    public var expSound : AudioClip;

function OnTriggerEnter (col : Collider) {

if(col.gameObject.tag == "Player"){
    AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint(expSound, transform.position);
    sprite.spriteAnimation.Play();

}
    }

Im sorry im such a noob at programming but I just wish Uni2d had more tutorials and examples available so I could understand how the API works.

Best Regards
    Timelord

47. marvelshaan

marvelshaan

hello,is this working for android games..anyone developed app with this asset..i heard that this asset is very good.....

48. devandart

devandart

Hi,

yes Uni2D works very well with android and I think with each other platform, too.
    It's one of the best assets I know for 2D. ;)

Regards

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

hi bento

i'm having trouble getting draw call batching to work.

i have 11 uni2d sprites, under the uni 2dsprite panel in the inspector it has the right textureatlas selected under 'user atlas'. under shared material it says none and is greyed out, just so you know. at the bottom of the inspector under skinned mesh renderer it has the texture atlas material and i can see the texture atlas in the preview.

however instead of being 11 draw call, i am seeing 11.

wondering if any of this is my be why:
    - each sprite has a bone / skeleton animation attached
    - each sprite is inside a container empty gameobject. that game object is stored in the resources folder and inited at runtime. there are no gameobject/sprites on the stage in the editor only at runtime.

any thoughts?

many thanks

50. teamkrinoid

teamkrinoid

Thanks for the answer! Thought it was probably something simple I was overlooking :neutral:

Just saw that Unity 4.3 is finally out (with new 2D support). Will there be any compatibility issues with Uni2D? Should I hold off upgrading? I could see some of the new 2D workflow improvements in 4.3 clashing with the custom functionality of Uni2D