Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UNet Sample Projects

Discussion in 'UNet' started by seanr, Jun 9, 2015.

1. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

Attached to this post are some sample projects for the new networking system. These projects all use the High Level networking API.

Warning, these contain programmer art and are not pretty at all.

2dshooter - is a 2d shooter game, use arrow keys and space bar, start with the "start" scene.

tanks - is a 2d tank example, use mouse and arrow keys, start with the "title" scene.

Invaders - is a 2d arcade game, use arrow keys and space bar, start with the "StartMenu" scene.

NetworkStarter - is simple 3d with boxes, it uses the multiplayer lobby and does scene changes, start with the "lobbyNewGUI" scene.

move - is a simple 3d client movement test, use arrow keys and space bar, start with the "ballz" scene.

Attached Files:

2. hatless

hatless

I tried the 'tanks' and 'networkstarter' projects and they only spammed error messages. Do these work for anybody else?

pagt07pa likes this.
  3. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

4. aabramychev

aabramychev

Unity Technologies

transport layer demo:

Attached Files:

5. erebel55

erebel55

Considering how powerful and advanced Unity is, these samples are pretty disappointing (I know unet was just released).

At a bare minimum I would like to see something like these
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/pun/current/tutorials/rpg-movement
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/pun/current/tutorials/mecanim-demo

• Player movement smoothing techniques (besides lerping). I'm not sure lerping is a viable smoothing technique. When I have tried using it in the past, it gives an "ice skating" effect, which isn't good for humanoid type characters. I would like to see more about interpolate and extrapolate options (such as with PhotonTransformView).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    d1favero, IanSmellis, Braza and 3 others like this.
  6. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

well, here is one more complaint, sorry but this dont work.

i have tried NetworkStarter.zip project and i can only connect with 1 client, the second wont even connect console debug wont throw any errors,
    even raising the max players setting on lobby manager still wont let you connect a secon dplayer.

I hate to say this but like erebell55 said in the post above the demos are quite disappointing, seems that it is not working for anyone, unless we are missing some steps like saying a magic word before clicking play?

7. Fangh

Fangh

I can launch Network Starter, I built the game and launched it twice. Host with the first and join with the second. Eveything is fine, movement are the same on the two instances of the game BUT the boxes are not at the same place in each games.

Attached Files:

8. Royall

Royall

Will there be any examples showing the HLAPI without using the all in one "NetworkManager"?

9. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

10. Royall

Royall

Well I am looking for an example where http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkServer.html and http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Networking.NetworkClient.html are used similar to the master server sample but instead simpeler without hostlists, but more as a dedicated server setup.

Limkami likes this.
  11. seanr

seanr

Unity Technologies

The NetworkStart projects uses the NetworkProximityChecker on the boxes. So players can only see boxes that are near them.

12. shawnblais

shawnblais

Invaders seems to have some pretty major bugs. Everything looks fine on the Server instance, but the client is totally broken, with the enemies scrolling off-screen and the players ship wildly flying all over the place.

FDT likes this.
  13. gilead

gilead

I'm having trouble using Match maker on Android (both with these example projects and otherwise).

I loaded up 2dshooter and gave it my Cloud Project Id in the PlayerSettings. If I load the start.unity, run it, click Enable Match Maker, click Create Internet Match, I get success JSON response on the log and the game begins.

However, if I switch to Android platform, build it up, run it, do the same sequence as above, after clicking Create Internet Match I end up with:

I/Unity (20567): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 65)
    I/Unity (20567): Failed to read the ID for the match maker, please set the Cloud Project ID string in the Player Settings (see https://unet.cloud.unity3d.com)
    I/Unity (20567): MatchMakingClient Create :https://mm.unet.unity3d.com/json/reply/CreateMatchRequest
    I/Unity (20567): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 65)
    I/Unity (20567): System.FormatException: FAILURE Returned from server: FailedCreateMatch for appId=Invalid
    I/Unity (20567): at UnityEngine.Networking.Match.Response.Parse (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (20567): at UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse.Parse (System.Object obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (20567): at UnityEngine.Networking.Match.NetworkMatch+<ProcessMatchResponse>c__Iterator0`1[UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    I/Unity (20567): JSON Response: [[UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse]-success:False-extendedInfo:Failed CreateMatch for appId=Invalid]-address:, port:0,networkId:0x0000000000000000,nodeId:0x0000,usingRelay:False
    E/Unity (20567): Create Failed:[[UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse]-success:False-extendedInfo:Failed CreateMatch for appId=Invalid]-address:,port:0,networkId:0x0000000000000000,nodeId:0x0000,usingRelay:False
    E/Unity (20567): (Filename: ./artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 65)

So it seems like I wouldn't have set my Cloud Project Id.. but when I added

Debug.Log("Cloud Project ID: " + Application.cloudProjectId);

to the ShooterNetManager.Start() it prints exactly correct cloud project id.

Any ideas? Anyone tested this with Android? Or iOS or WP8?

Egg_Developer and isidro02139 like this.
  14. Evil-Otaku

Evil-Otaku

What's missing is the appId. I had to manually set it. Its the UNET ID underneath the Cloud project Id

NetworkManager.singleton.matchMaker.SetProgramAppID((AppID)XXXXX);

_Adriaan, isidro02139 and gilead like this.
  15. gilead

gilead

Thanks, that helped with the match maker.

16. RMDKmatt

RMDKmatt

Has anyone got the new Unity 5.1 Multiplayer features connecting multiple computers over the Internet?

17. gilead

gilead

Yeah. I'm currently connecting Editor, Android and WP8 over the internet using the match maker.

Edit: take the 2dshooter project posted above, input your Cloud Project Id (Edit -> project settings -> player) and you should be able to connect multiple desktop clients to each other over the Match maker.

Connecting Android and WP8 with Match maker seems to currently require SetProgramAppID method call Evil Otaku mentioned.

isidro02139 likes this.
  18. RMDKmatt

RMDKmatt

I'll give that a try thanks gilead.

19. isidro02139

isidro02139

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows of a live-chat (IRC etc.) community where people can share their bugs and experiences with UNET? (specifically for UNET and nothing else). For example, I just discovered that upgrading from 5.1.1p1 → 5.1.1p2 was the reason my editor was crashing when trying to use the free-tier match-making system.

Thanks!

20. isidro02139

isidro02139

FYI there is an IRC channel now on irc.freenode.net (#unity3d-unet). Also, some shared resources are gathered here:
    https://goo.gl/UmBBpM

21. isidro02139

isidro02139

This helped me get my iPhone6 to connect to the multiplayer could via match-maker service! Thank you ^^

22. BmDeveloperz

BmDeveloperz

I'm getting these errors on network starter project.

Create Failed:[[UnityEngine.Networking.Match.CreateMatchResponse]-success:False-extendedInfo:Failed CreateMatch for appId=Invalid]-address:,port:0,networkId:0x0000000000000000,nodeId:0x0000,usingRelay:False
    UnityEngine.Networking.Match.<ProcessMatchResponse>c__Iterator0`1:MoveNext()

lliviu and macagu like this.
  23. BmDeveloperz

BmDeveloperz

And also i cant connect from my own project too which was working fine. Anyone knows the solution or the reason for this issue ?

24. Hyper-Luminal-Games

Hyper-Luminal-Games

Same issue as Olcay, except works fine for me in the starter project. I cannot get it working at all in my own project. Hidden settings? All I can see is the Cloud Project ID setting.

25. BmDeveloperz

BmDeveloperz

At least someone should tell that this is a bug which will be fixed. Or... this problem is an issue about settings or needs an additional thing to do. No one confirms that this online matchmaking is working in webplayer or in multiple PC :S It's only working on editor.

26. BmDeveloperz

BmDeveloperz

And also i tried to create a cloud project and build my project there... After a succesful build, still same problem.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Error (using Unity 5.1.1p2) when opening 2dshooter project:

UNetWeaver error: Command [Other:CmdDoMe] parameter [me] is of the type [Transform] which is a Component. You cannot pass a Compent to a Command. Try passing data from within the component.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Log:Error(String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:19)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.NetworkBehaviourProcessor: ProcessMethods() (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetBehaviourProcessor.cs:1263)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.NetworkBehaviourProcessor: Process() (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetBehaviourProcessor.cs:51)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver: ProcessNetworkBehaviourType(TypeDefinition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:997)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:CheckNetworkBehaviour(TypeDefinition) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1436)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:Weave(String, IEnumerable`1, String, String, String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1536)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Weaver:WeaveAssemblies(IEnumerable`1, IEnumerable`1, String, String, String) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/UNetWeaver.cs:1605)
    Unity.UNetWeaver.Program: Process(String, String, String, String[], String[], Action`1, Action`1) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Weaver/Program.cs:33)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Serialization.Weaver:WeaveUnetFromEditor(String, String, String, String, Boolean)

28. rob.whitten

rob.whitten

Is there an example for controlling a prefab from two players. For example, I have a driver and gunner and I want the driver to own control of the driver vehicle prefab's movement but I would like to gunner to update vehicle's turret. Right now I have the gunner using one prefab setup with turret controls and the driver uses a different prefab setup with steering controls.

29. chenyuchih

chenyuchih

For guys with trouble in opening 2dshooter example.
    Edit Other.cs : Line 80
    public void CmdDoMe(int val, Custom c, Transform me)
    to
    public void CmdDoMe(int val, Custom c)

UnbreakableOne, sharat and codestage like this.
  30. webagency1

webagency1

Hi! I tried publish move game on Web GL but it is not worked. Does anybody know why?

31. ytrew

ytrew

Can anyone tell me where to get the updated version of the 2Dshooter. The one found on this forum does not work with regards to syncing bullet movement. It also differs from the Unite talk demo.

Thanks,

32. webagency1

webagency1

Does anybody know how to attach camera to the player in multiplayer game? My cameras of different players are mixed...

33. orange_910213

orange_910213

There are two different computer and the network is different too。One of the PC has created the internet match, but another one can‘t find it.Does anybody know how to solve it?

34. james69lemon

james69lemon

Since I switched from using the old GUI, to the new GUI system (as used in the NetworkStarter project), The client-player in never instantiated when the game starts. Also, ClientRPC calls are no longer being called on the server. Any ideas here?

35. ian_facepunch

ian_facepunch

Is there a sample that shows how to use the Matchmaker with LLAPI NetworkTransport?

webagency1 likes this.
  36. chetan-rane

chetan-rane

i am still not able to connect pc and android together using match maker.
    what wrong i am doing?

37. AubryStrawberry

AubryStrawberry

Can anyone suggest how to find the IP address being used by NetworkServer.Listen(port) ?

38. james69lemon

james69lemon

FYI i fixed this by updating to 5.1.2p2

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Interesting, there was no mention of multiplayer bug fixes in that patch. Maybe updating will fix some of the issues I've been seeing. Thanks for the tip.

james69lemon likes this.
  40. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

The ball sample demonstrates the problem I'm having... desync. Are there any projects that are in sync? The game I'm working on has grid based continuous movements and even minor desync is incredibly noticeable.

--edit

2d shooter also has very noticeable desync issues. When a client thrusts, it hits walls first on the server so the client rebounds against nothing.

Are there any examples with highly synced players?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  41. nbg_yalta

nbg_yalta

NetworkTransform is pretty useless component. For example there is no way to reach smooth movement with Character Controller. Is it really that hard to provide us with nice and smooth solution, not this jerking bullshit?

42. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I was going to come back here today and say I solved the issue. I removed the NetworkTransform and synced things manually with Rpc functions. It uses less network traffic and ends up with way better results lol.

twobob likes this.
  43. Glabrezu

Glabrezu

You can write your own class using almost the same code as the one you see in NetworkTransform, but with your own interpolation in Update. I did it because it currently has no interpolation for SyncTransform, but you can use it as example for your own needs.

It also serializes some other stuff unrelated to movement (navagent's destination) and has a few other lines that will be useless to your project, but you can just cut them out.

Attached Files:

twobob and Tomnnn like this.
  44. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@Glabrezu that's an interesting idea. The issue for me is that interpolation does not look correct in a grid based game :) It causes people to sometimes move diagonally when they should only move in 4 directions.Having an rpc update input and position has the least noticeable desync for grid based movements.

When I can go back to physics based movements I'll see if networktransform has improved. The issue I saw with all of these demos is that if you take the client and go towards a wall, it always hits the wall first on the server so your client bounces off of nothing. If it's that easy to desync then it's not good :p

45. realvfx

realvfx

Hi! :) I am trying to modify the lobby example file for my game project lobby system.. everything looks fine and working okay.. but for some reason, the host can see all the clients player game objects but the clients only see themselves and the host ..not each other.. please help !

46. GenaSG

GenaSG

Hello.
    I've updated to Unity 5.1.3f1 and now I'm getting
    UNet Client Disconnect Error: Timeout
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity:UNetStaticUpdate()
    error when trying to use network latency simulation. I've tried it on the "move" project.

47. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

UNET still working for me in 5.1.3f1, maybe something got deprecated in the example?

48. asperatology

asperatology

49. GenaSG

GenaSG

Could be. But I'm getting similar problem after updating to newer version.
    To be precise I'm getting error described here . First I got it in my project. Then I decided to check if this problem exists in sample projects.
    Too bad there is no fully functional example from unity. I mean client side prediction and server-client reconciliation.

50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

What functions are you using? I am able to use syncvars, hooks, client rpcs and commands without issue. That's all I'm really making use of. The built in stuff for other things, like network transform, is way to buggy even in 'stable' versions of unity.