Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UNET - New Unity Multiplayer Technology

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Meltdown, May 14, 2014.

1. Meltdown

Meltdown

Magiichan likes this.
  2. P_Hansson

P_Hansson

Thanks, very interesting. A lot of overlap with the coming version of uLink, especially with abstracting out low layer socket communication.

Actually, looking forward to compare the API compatibility in uLink with a hopefully cleaner UNET API compatibility layer and do a phase out if the possibility appears. I also love competing in optimization and this will give me a decent challenge unlike the sad state of Unity 4.x networking which we never even had to actively try to outperform. :p Lol, won many programming optimization competitions in university for similar motivational reasons.

However, there went my vacation this year as well. ^^ Just kidding. To be honest, the scope of intersection between uLink and UNET is not obvious without careful study and there may well be reasons to do things another way.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  3. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

well, it is good unity is rewriting its poorly stock networking infrastructure for multiplayer games,
    all sound great, but......
    really ???

ohh god, another unity money hungry slot machine move. really?

so now, if we need those features for our game we have to do a monthly paid subscription to the cloud?
    isnt the unity store and each new pro version release enough for you hungry appetite?

no standalone release so we can host it in our own servers.
    shame on you!!

unless i misunderstood, this wont be a new free stock unity feature besides its default new networking,
    it will be that if you like to use the default unity networking multiplayer extra addons like matchmaking, server load balancing for unity networking features you need to pay a monthly fee to their cloud services.

badumna cloud already does that, so is photon cloud.

i just hate the "highjack my game" / be dependent to a third party cloud service for my game paying a monthly fee.
    come'on man I thought those tyranny days were over 10 years ago, metered bandwidth,ccu,mau blah,blah,blah.... monthly fees

If you going to enrich unity with a better stock networking than the current third world class networking, then do it as an engine included feature.

so what next?
    another fee for using unity 5 new GUI editor??

those should be a stock engine included features since day 1, not 10 years later as a paid service.

4. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Excellent, can not wait to try this out.

5. Yukichu

Yukichu

I think this is fabulous that they finally realized their networking solution was... less than optimal. I am afraid of the 'pay for this extra stuff' but they have to make money somehow I guess.

I've been considering holding off on my uLink license until UNET comes out, but seeing as how it will be put out in phases... realistically could see phase two in Unity 6.x. I hope they come up with a good solution, a good authoritative server setup, and not a reliance on some cloud services - let you host them locally if you choose.

Definitely keeping my eyes on this.

6. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

well, dont hold your breath,
    just keep on working on ulink since you mentioned you already have a license, i recommend you to just use it.

the unity development is very slow and some times they dont deliver what they promise, just look at unity UI system, it has been promised since God knows when, 2.5 or 3.5? eatherway it has been at least minimum 2 to 3 years backed up.

so this new networking imo wont be any different.

i dont think they aim to fully authoritative setup, since they plan to highjack your server by offering cloud hosting like photon or badumna does.some sort of relay between unity instances , being the client authoritative, at least that is how it sounds.

so do not hold your breath, lol

i think ulink may still be your best option for fully authoritative server.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

3D Omlette, less negativity please, it's pointless and immature. If you have something constructive to say then please make that point instead.

8. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

sorry, dont mean to be negative, just stating facts.

but if you guys think i am being negative, ill just stop speaking up my mind.

regards

9. appels

appels

Where did you get this info?
    Can you post the related articles?

10. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

11. Yukichu

Yukichu

I understand the negativity, which is why I'm hoping it will turn out better than expected.

I am being realistic though, the fully functional version probably won't be out in the next year... but hopefully not two.

It's exciting and very, very, very much needed.

12. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

I actually talked to the person at asia united, basically for the first phase(which comes with unity 5.x) release it's still cloud hosting - not full authoritative server, the process of how long it will take actually it will reach the third phase(where they will have sorta of dynamic lobby system opening rooms and full authoritative server is unknown date), until then I think it's better off stick with third party like: SmartFox/Photon/Ulink

13. Yukichu

Yukichu

Thanks for the additional info! Definitely helped.

14. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

yup, like i mentioned before, and did not mean to be negative, but facts are very tangibles when it comes to this.

like FuzzyShan stated, we better stick with a third party network plugin for quite a while until the time comes for UNET, which seems to be not any time soon if you want a full authoritative setup.

but at least now we know unity networking is being reworked for good for the future.

15. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

That was me! But let me explain in a bit more detail. Phase 1 is more about multiplayer gaming. If you use our HLAPI then you get a client/server based network model. But here server means client as a host. And that uses the match maker and relay server we created that lives in the cloud. The HLAPI is about taking away all of the pain points we can which is why we offer things in the cloud to help you. But maybe you are an experienced network engineer and you don't need to use our stuff in the cloud. That's ok, you can use the LLAPI, and define your own network model.

Phase 2 is all about server authoritative gaming, where server is really a server outside of the other players. Here too we want to offer the option of using our hosting to take the pain away for those who are not networking engineers. But if you are a networking engineer and you want to host things yourself, then I think you should be able to. I am not being very specific about that right now because like I said in Asia, Phase 2 is in R&D at the moment. We are not trying to hide our pricing plans or try to find ways to sneak into your wallets. That's just silly.

I would like to hear some constructive ideas on what you all think would be good options for hosting in Phase 1 and Phase 2.

16. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

Thanks for the explanation Erik.

i am not quite sure if i understood but
    I in particular do not like cloud hosting, for me it just feels like highjacked game., i hate to rely on a cloud hosting, i like better to host on my own hardware nodes and have full control over things and client db etc...

why dont you guys offer both options, cloud for people who like it hosted and standalone/onpremise for the matchmaking features etc...

that way we all can enjoy both of the setups and flavors since phase 1 instead of waiting a couple of years for that.
    something like photon does, cloud and standalone server options

17. Yukichu

Yukichu

LLAPI serves tht function I thought... you could code your own stuff if you want.

It would be nice if the HLAPI type-stuff could be replicated with the LLAPI in a package, particularly with an example project. It's all very light on details, so it's hard to really know.

Having stuff hosted in the cloud for those that do not want to worry about networking is a very nice idea, so long as (which has been stated) there is ability to create/host your own. The ability to have something up and running quickly with HLAPI then spend time writing your own LLAPI stuff is, to me, very intriguing and nice.

Price points and costs... I don't know. I think (personal opinion) Photon and SmartFox are horribly overpriced once you get to higher number of CCU. So... again, I don't know. It would be nice to have a 'free tier' for maybe like the most basic of something, like 10 CCU or even 5. Just something so you can prototype.

Just make sure the higher number/unlimited CCU isn't something ridiculous. There are other things to consider, like bandwidth used vs, connections... so maybe some kind of a la carte would be nice. CCU cost, bandwidth cost. Not sure what else.

18. JeremyUnity

JeremyUnity

We are doing exactly this. The LLAPI is the foundation of everything we are building on, including the HLAPI which uses it for communication the same as anyone else could. This way we can be confident the LLAPI is good to use for anyone trying to build an alternative to the HLAPI.

Our intent is nothing nefarious. Our phase one relay server doesn't host any content, it is just an always available service on the internet to solve the issue of allowing a group of clients to speak. With phase 1 functionality one client would also be a peer host and considered the server for that game session.

Since most of the internet is IPV4 and NAT protected relaying traffic like is a requirement to any real internet enabled game, and avoids users having to do things like configure their router to open and forward ports and allows play on any device that can reach the relay service. We hope it is a time saver to simplify what goes into making a robust multiplayer experience.

19. pracalic

pracalic

What about authority server for first person game and real time contact game. Can You get new physics engine to unity, to resimulate physics like quake or valve network games? Or maybe You implement new characterController with physics resimulation implementation inside?

20. Meltdown

Meltdown

It's nice to see more Unity employee presence in these types of threads. You guys have been sorely missed.

iBinary likes this.
  21. P_Hansson

P_Hansson

Well, they probably have good things to do - when you're focusing on something visiting forum risks being a distraction. Anyway, looking forwards to UNET.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

My questions would be:

1. The relay server - is it something that needs to be done for every packet, or can we use relay for clients to get IP initially then just talk to each other directly?

2. In the case of cloud network, If one player drops, can we choose a new master player automatically like Halo 4 and similar titles do? They pause for everyone, choose a new host and the game continues. This is IMHO a feature Unity needs natively. Otherwise Cloud networking becomes quickly annoying. The host, losing the game quits in fury - everyone's party is ruined!

3. We hope you will consider garbage collection and the ability to create an object from a local pool rather than relying entirely on Instantiate, for performance reasons.

4. We would like to be able to broadcast custom packets without massive RPC overheads.

5. We would like to have some form of important flag or priority system that works with unity's culling. For example, everyone has the same Occlusion culling data, therefore it might be possible to use this or another system.

6. It would be really smart/cool if Unity was able to sync navmesh pathing, so if it is deterministic, we can send an ai unit along a unity navmesh path, and this will be synched in a much lighter manner using only timestamps. Basically a core reason to use UNET instead of others are deeper integration benefits, such as moving 200 units with navmesh, but barely doing any real work over net ;) Also increases the benefits and value of other Unity systems and features, which often get replaced when networking becomes involved.

Increases value of pro.

iBinary likes this.
  23. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The relay is for public internet usage, though you can skip it for local LAN matches if you like. For initial release, the relay is always routing but we're thinking we'll consider adding the "NAT punch-through" factor in the future. However, we're concerned that NAT punch through is unreliable as sometimes the 3rd leg of the triangle does not have a reliable route. So, it may be that clients may test a peer connection and drop the relay if the connection works.

Host migration is on the agenda and we're investigating how best to solve it. The tricky part is that usually host migration has game specific work that needs to occur, and how best to expose that.

Sean or Larus would be better to answer this, but IIRC our HLAPI handling the sync/creation/etc. has a callback for allowing you to decide what to do.

Should be doable with our low level transport, just ask for another channel to send your packets on. There isn't a "broadcast" verb yet, but we'll likely be adding it at some point.

That's on our to do list, though probably for a future phase. Phase 1 is about connectivity, future phases will aim for deeper integrations.

A good idea! We'll add it to our future feature possibilities.

24. larus

larus

Unity Technologies

Yeah, we have something for that. We can handle it automatically or you can have a spawner callback so you can control how a certain object is created. Instead of instantiating the object you could take it from your pool and return that instead from the spawner callback.

The HLAPI is also pretty flexible in this regard, besides sending RPC type messages similar to what we have in the current system you can send your own custom messages with basically only the message ID as overhead (in addition to transport level UNET protocol), a callback you've registered as a handler would be invoked when the associated message ID arrives.

hippocoder likes this.
  25. AgusB

AgusB

I don't know too much about networking.
    Will this new UNET give us the possibility to implement LAN multiplayer games, I mean, broadcasting and finding a host on the same Local Area Network you are, and connect without the need of internet at all with the use of a High Level API (without needing to get to the socket level of understanding)?
    This would be really helpful especially for mobile multiplayer design, everyone carries his phone, so the LAN party is everywhere.

Sorry for my bad english

26. yoonitee

yoonitee

This sounds fantastic. It is just what I wanted. I suggested cloud services for Unity a few months ago. Maybe they took my suggestion onboard. :) Anything to take the hassle out of multiplayer programming sounds good to me. I don't understand how to set up my own virtual servers and so on. I hope phase 2 is as simple as uploading your Unity server version executable and clicking a button.

You say it is on "Unity's" cloud. Where is this cloud? Is it actually on Google, AWS or Microsoft servers? Not that it matters just interested.

Now we can all make MMORPGs and not worry about the servers crashing. Excellent.

27. BFGames

BFGames

:D

28. yoonitee

yoonitee

Also, I hope if it is a paid for service there will be at least some free quotas for testing like Google has. And also VERY IMPORTANTLY to set monthly budgets so you don't get a surprise bill of a million pounds!

Also can you keep the old Unity matchmaking service up for legacy games please? Or maybe move that to the cloud too so people who don't want to rewrite all their old code can still use that old Unity Master server? (yes, i know its strictly just for testing but I bet some people use that in small indie games).

29. tobiass

tobiass

Will the LLAPI enable you to send raw packages or do you need a Unity server to connect to, because the transport protocol is not optional?

30. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

The Unity Simulation Server will make it super easy to do server authoritative games using either the LLAPI or the HLAPI. I think you are asking if you can use the LLAPI with a custom server, in which case we will have a UNET Server dll that can be used in this custom server.

hippocoder likes this.
  31. tobiass

tobiass

Erik: Ah, thanks for the info.

32. TheZoran

TheZoran

Hi all,

my question would be, IF/WHEN (Phase 1/2/3) you will go for a possibilty to create multiple connection to servers or direct client to client connections, while connected to a server, so that u can create something like a seperate chat server system for example and also let the server communicate between each other, directly.

This would be awesome to know.

Thanks
    Zoran

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

I know this is a slightly old thread, but since there aren't any newer threads, I'll post my question and suggestion here. Will UNET be integrated into the Unity3D designer? That would be sick if it was. I mean where you could drop a ball into the designer, and select which players can see that ball, without any scripting required.

Obviously integration that like would be a big undertaking, but, just off the top of my head I can think of a simple way it could work....

1) Drop MultiplayerObject_1 into the scene, which is an invisible networking protocol object/script thingie.
    2) Drop a ball mesh object into the scene.
    3) Connect the ball to MultiplayerObject_1, so that the ball's variables (such as XYZ location) are known to MultiplayerObject_1.

Now, a player loads the scene, and it connect them to MultiplayerObject_1, the same way we connected the ball to MultiplayerObject_1, either by scripting, or by dragging and dropping in the designer.

Now that player will see the ball move, because both he and the ball are connected to MultiplayerObject_1. Months of programming needed to create a multiplayer scene: SOLVED in 30 seconds!

Obviously you need a physical server to make this work, but that could be done right there in the designer too. Assuming you are using the UNET servers, you would select "MultiplayerObject_1", and in the parameters box right there in the deisgner, type in your credentials to your UNET hosting server account. Now the MultiplayerObject_1 will automatically sync any changes to the ball to your server. BAM, you've got the beginning of a multiplayer game.

As an extra feature, you could allow me to select which variables are shared. The above example shared the XYZ location of the ball. And maybe the default would be that anything and everything about the ball is shared, including the balls size, texture, shaders, and anything else including any custom variables. But optionally, instead of "all" to be shared, if it could allow me to also select specific variables to share about the ball, such as sharing only its XYZ location, then players would see that if it changed, but wouldn't see a texture change, etc.

This wouldn't eliminate the need for scripting. If I want a player to MOVE the ball by clicking on it, I would still have to script the means for that player to be able to move the ball.

But having some kind of drag-and-drop means to sync objects in a scene simply by connecting them (and players) to a "MultiplayerObject" would be incredible, right inside the designer. Then I could focus entirely on scripting the means for players to make objects move, and I wouldn't have to worry about making sure they can all see it, because that would be handled for me automatically.

And if I want some players to see something, but others not to see it, then I can drop multiple MultiplayerObjects into the scene. Players would connect to several of them, but not all of them. This would allow them to see certain things, but not everything. Using this, I could make sure they always see their own army, but not necessarily see the entire enemy's army at all times.

If a player is connected to multiple MultiplayerObjects, and the same ball is also connected to those same MultiplayerObjects, the player shouldn't receive multiple duplicate updates regarding that ball.... Unity3d should weed out duplicate updates automatically.

And what about authoritative issues? Well yea, that's important to. If you want to make it ultra simple for me, the ignorant programmer, you could simply integrate the entire server-side scripting language right into my designer. So I can see two types of scripts, one will be client side, and the other server side scripts. All of this, right inside the designer, with full integration with the objects in my game. Meaning I can connect objects into my game to the server-side scripts, by dragging and dropping server-side scripts into my objects, or objects into my server-side scripts, or client-side scripts into server-side scripts, etc. Server side scripts will not be compiled into the client-side code, but rather, will be uploaded to the server when I build by game. Anything authoritative I need to do, I would simply do it with the server-side scripts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  34. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

but your obviously forgetting that unity DOES NOT take a cut when you sell your game, in fact they dont even charge you for using their product at all. Unity Technologies only make their money from Pro sales, and the asset store.

U4 make theirs from sale cuts from the developer, dont forget steam already takes 30% and if you use U4 $19/MO + 5% free ontop of the 30% steam fee (If you choose steam as a sales platform).

so i believe unity is not greedy at all and offers indie developers a fair chance in the game for mobile platforms and PC.

take into account (U4 had recently changed their game to a free subscription plan and i do not know their current prices) U4 is going off the prices i knew of when figuring out what engine i wanted to work with.

MHUnity likes this.
  35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Let's not derail a productive thread folks (and don't bother replying to me because I'm just moderating!) :)

36. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

Where's all official information and docs on UNET? As I understand it has been just released in 5.0.1

37. Mabenan

Mabenan

no it will be released in 5.1

38. sballew7

sballew7

I heard 5.1 is estimated to release around early July. While that sounds awesome, I'm a bit skeptical about the networking being publicly available that soon. I mean, Unity tends to delay releasing large features. I want to believe, though!

39. TakuanDaikon

TakuanDaikon

Unity 5.1 release candidate was released with UNET, although there isn't much information about it yet.

40. dominicmuelelr

dominicmuelelr

Hi everyone! It seems the new Networking features are out for everyone in the Unity 5.1 beta now.

However, I wonder if anyone has managed to cobble together a low level networking demo from the docs yet? I'm a little confused by the contents of the scripting reference (Help->Scripting Reference in the Unity Editor). It would be cool if I knew how I'm supposed to go about
    • opening a UnityNetwork protocol UDP socket
    • connecting to it
    • how best to serialize and transmit data
    Basically I'm looking for something like this except not obsolete. Please note that the Unet namespace has been renamed to UnityEngine.Networking and the API has changed as well

EDIT: Various stuff
    EDIT2: Also if someone has information about the availability of the new Unity Cloud Server source code I'd be interested, will the code become public like the old racknet one?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  41. jpthek9

jpthek9

UNET sounds awesome! Can't wait 'till it comes out for an official release.

42. jpthek9

jpthek9

Unity makes a fair amount from the Asset Store too but I agree with you. Unity's pricing is very nice for what they provide.

Wumbo_Games likes this.
  43. tiggus

tiggus

Reading through this now myself -

Looking under "NetworkTransport.Connect" in scripting API does have a full example on how to connect. NetworkReader and NetworkWriter seem to handle the serialization of data.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Is there an ETA on UNET?

EDIT: Just went up and looked at previous posts... I am guessing ETA is unity 5.1 then. :)

45. GTGD

GTGD

I have a small UNET project going with the Unity 5.1 beta. I've arranged it as a set of tutorials and I'm pretty much covering the basics of UNET. I've just reached implementing basic AI.

Here's the unity forum link.

46. Erind

Erind

can the cloud work with the network view and the old network code

47. Erik-Juhl

Erik-Juhl

Unity Technologies

The new multiplayer services in the cloud will not work with the old network code. You will need to use the new network code.

48. tapticc

tapticc

I really want to embrace Unet and move away from Photon but concerned that redeveloping to Unet could be an expensive mistake if the pricing is too high. Do you know roughly when the pricing info might become available, ball park?

49. NicholasYoung

NicholasYoung

I would also love to know roughly how long the cloud multiplayer services (matchmaking server and relay server) will remain in beta with a 100ccu limit. Ball park estimate is fine... weeks, months, a year?

I would love to use this feature for a game we want to release soon, but can't make that decision before pricing and CCU limits are known.

Thanks!

50. blastone

blastone

When will the Pricing models be made available?

Im hesitant to embrace a technology and integrate it into my game when I don't know how much its going to cost me int he future.

Will it be more or less then Photon Cloud for the same levels of CCU? Or will it use a different model around MAU.
    Currently I am building some top brand name games with Photon Cloud, but could be swayed if this is a real contender.

@Erik if this information is still non disclosed how do I get in contact with a sales representative to get an insight into the future price points?

RealSoftGames likes this.