Search Unity

Undo and Serialization

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by SweetJV, Aug 22, 2016.

1. SweetJV

SweetJV

I have a component that has two sets of data:

- "real" data, which will be used at runtime
    - "editor" data, that is useless at runtime, but is needed to store things while editing the component (ex. selections, etc)

The "real" data fields are marked with [SerializeField], while the "editor" data is not. The idea here is to save the memory footprint for run-time by letting those fields be null/empty in the final build, but become populated during editing.

However, I now suspect this may be incompatible with the Undo system. In my custom editor I'm using Undo.RecordObject. And while I can undo/redo the operations, it seems like my "editor" data is getting nuked.

So, I'm wondering two things:

1. Am I correct in thinking that the undo system uses serialization, and so of course my editor data will get nuked. Or, is there some way to preserve that data?
    2. If I do have to serialize the "editor" data for undo/redo to work, is there a common solution for stripping this kind of data out of the final build?

Or, maybe I'm completely wrong and I just have a bug that's nuking my data during undo/redo. Anyway, I'd love to hear any thoughts or advice on this.

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Hi

1: Yes, Undo.RecordObject relies on serialization

2: I don't know of a way to serialize data for the editor only, so my only suggestion for now would be to move the editor data somewhere else if possible.

3. SweetJV

SweetJV

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

For anyone that runs into a similar situation, it turns out I had a couple problems going on. My biggest one was that for my editor selection data I was using a custom list class, derived from list, which exposed additional helper methods. Something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. public class SelectedItemList : List<SelectedItem>
    3. {
    4.     public void InvertSelection( List<Item> items )
    5.     {
    6.         // Code that inverts our selection
    7.     }
    8. }
    Unfortunately, Unity doesn't serialize derived Lists even if you mark it with [SerializeField]. I knew about that limitation when I created the class, but figured that was fine since I didn't want my selection data saved anyway. But to be compatible with Undo, I guess you have to be compatible with serialization.

So, I had to refactor my class to use a vanilla List<SelectedItem>. However, I also figured out that you can create an extension method for a concrete version of a generic. So, I was able to re-create my helper methods, like so:

Code (csharp):
    2. public static class SelectedItemListExt
    3. {
    4.     public static void InvertSelection( this List<SelectedItem> selected, List<Item> items )
    5.     {
    6.         // Code that inverts our selection
    7.     }
    8. }
    It would be super great if Unity could upgrade their serialization for collections. But until then, I guess this is a passable work-around.