Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

Edit:

Yes, that's a bug. Also a second bug at the top of the else (> should be >=).

The fixed function should look like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void EnsureChannels(int channels)
    3.         {
    4.             if (channelMask == null)
    5.             {
    6.                 channelMask = new Color[channels];
    7.                 channelAdditiveMask = new Color[channels];
    8.                 for (int i = 0; i < channels; i++)
    9.                 {
    10.                     channelMask[i] = Color.white;
    11.                     channelAdditiveMask[i] = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    12.                 }
    13.             }
    14.             else
    15.             {
    16.                 if( channelMask.Length >= channels ) return;
    18.                 var oldLenth = channelMask.Length;
    19.                 var newMask = new Color[channels];
    20.                 var newAdditive = new Color[channels];
    22.                 System.Array.Copy(channelMask, newMask, oldLenth);
    23.                 System.Array.Copy(channelAdditiveMask, newAdditive, oldLenth);
    24.                 for (int i = oldLenth; i < channels; i++)
    25.                 {
    26.                     newMask[i] = Color.white;
    27.                     newAdditive[i] = new Color(0, 0, 0, 0);
    28.                 }
    29.                 channelMask = newMask;
    30.                 channelAdditiveMask = newAdditive;
    31.             }
    32.         }

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    hopeful likes this.
  2. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

3. MrG

MrG

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  4. Jaimi

Jaimi

No problem. I checked in slightly different code if you want to pull it - just in case the ChannelMask and ChannelAdditiveMask were different sizes (don't know how that could be.. but now it works for all cases)

hopeful likes this.
  5. Jaimi

Jaimi

These warning are harmless. The "EditorGuiUtility.LookLikeControls" call that causes most of the warning doesn't actually appear to do anything in Unity5. I've removed all the lines in my code base, and unless I'm missing something extremely minor, everything looks and behaves exactly the same.
    The other warnings about the SlotAsset.slotName and materialSample - those are needed internally when not compiling in "Lean and Mean" mode, and can safely be disabled.

If no one has objections, I'll remove the LookLikeControls lines, and disable the warning on the other two (slotName, materialSample).

6. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

No objections here. I love having Warning and Error free code. :)

7. evil_genie

evil_genie

This doesn't work with UMA2 as the variable that holds the prefab no longer exists...

How can you add a ragdoll to a UMA in UMA2?

8. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Hey guys, I saw somewhere that there is an UMA group on skype. How do you join it (or get invited or whatever)? I'm not an experienced skype user :) Could bee useful to be in that group though as I am using UMA VERY intensively right now :)

9. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Quick question (and likely a stupid one going against the principle of uma). Is there any way to avoid stitching the meshes into one mesh?

10. ecurtz

ecurtz

There's supposed to be some URL to join the Skype group, but damned if I can figure out what it is. If you PM me your Skype info I can add you.

Mikael-H likes this.
  11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - give them different materials.

Ramsdal and hopeful like this.
  12. cchacon

cchacon

Getting these 1 Warning and 202 ERRORS in: Unity 5.3.1f1, UMA2.0 when I try to open:
    Assets>UMA>Content>FernandoRibeiro/HumanHighPolySlots/PBR/ExampleScenes/

Warning:
    Lightmap snapshot 'LightmapSnapshot' is inconsistent - 2 files out of 8 are missing. Realtime GI will be disabled. Please rebuild lighting for this scene.
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Errors:
    All the 202 errors look like this, coming from Fill, Text, Sliding Panel, etc.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEngine.UI.MaskUtilities.GetStencilDepth (UnityEngine.Transform transform, UnityEngine.Transform stopAfter) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/MaskUtilities.cs:73)
    UnityEngine.UI.MaskableGraphic.GetModifiedMaterial (UnityEngine.Material baseMaterial) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/MaskableGraphic.cs:71)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.get_materialForRendering () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:245)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.UpdateMaterial () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:351)
    UnityEngine.UI.Graphic.Rebuild (CanvasUpdate update) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/Graphic.cs:329)
    UnityEngine.UI.CanvasUpdateRegistry.PerformUpdate () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/guisystem/UnityEngine.UI/UI/Core/CanvasUpdateRegistry.cs:149)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Anyone else seeing the same?

Thanks,
    Carlos

13. evil_genie

evil_genie

How did you set that up? Ive been trying to add components to my UMA and havent gotten much headway in figuring it out. Thank you!!!

14. UnLogick

UnLogick

You've downloaded uma 2 with an older version of Unity... Unity broke some ui component due to performance reasons, so we're giving you different versions based on your unity version... please download uma with the new version of unity and you'll get the fix.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

This is done and checked in. Also displayed the name of the Shared Overlays in the recipe editor.

16. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Hey guys,

Some faces from brave test subjects from my master thesis just reached the asset store. The subjects are all very excited at the possibility to become part of a game so please let me know if you end up making something with this! :)

Also, I could generate faces of other people, so if you want to make yourself into a character in your own game let me know. Maybe I can add the first 10 people to the asset pack or something, I don't know.

The tool used to construct these faces is not quite ready for release, it will probably take a few months before that happens. I'll get back to you if/when that happens...

Here's the asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/53256

Some people on this forum have been a huge help to my thesis! @SecretAnorak , @FernandoRibeiro , @ecurtz for example, if any of you guys want a voucher for this just let me know, you definitely earned it! I may be missing someone, it's been such a long project so if I missed you let me know as well.... @Jaimi you seem to be a very active contributor to UMA in general so same goes for you. Any other active contributors who deserve some love, let me know that as well :)

Now here's an image of two of the faces in the pack, happens to be me and my girlfriend. I forgot to change the color of the eyes, already been severely feedbacked by her on that account... big_precise.png

17. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Wow, Love it..! Superb work.

18. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Thanks! Took about 10 months of work to get the system to where it is today. Your tutorials helped a lot on the UMA side :) I PM:ed you a voucher for the faces. If I ever get the whole system on the asset store you'll get a voucher for that one as well.

19. Mikael-H

Mikael-H

Ohh, and the t-shirt overlays are originally from your tutorial as well, just a bit modified :)

20. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

In UMA 2.x I needed the ability to retain the use of a prefab, so I basically tracked down in the code where the skeleton was created. I manually create a UMASkeleton off of my prefab by basically doing a new Skeleton () on the correct transform of my prefab and then assigning it directly to the uma data before the skeleton gets dynamically created in the first dirty call.

This has worked great so far, but I still retained the separate male / female prefabs from uma 1.x. I am back working in UMA this week and thinking this is no longer necessary. Is this true? It looks like UMA will assign the bone positions on its own to what it wants in 2.x. I'd love to get rid of the second prefab since it means I only need to maintain one.

I've tested generating random female characters using the original male prefab and they look identical to the ones generated with the female one so at this point I am thinking this would work.

21. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

It was probably already discussed, but I encountered a bug where I couldn't change shared color of overlay when editing recipe (it automatically defaulted to shared color with index = 0), crutch-fixed it by editing UMAPackedRecipeBase.cs:

original:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int colorIndex = colorEntries.IndexOf(colorData);
    changed to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int colorIndex = colorEntries.FindIndex(data => data.name == colorData.name);
    Original line always returned 0 for some reason, couldn't be bothered to look deeper into it.
    Change requires using System.Linq.

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you using the version from GIT? I thought I'd fixed that in December. (same time I added the "collapse all/expand all" buttons)

edit:

Yes - but the fix checked in is slightly different:

Code (CSharp):
    1. +               int colorIndex = -1;
    2. +               for (int col=0;col<colorEntries.Count;col++)
    3. +               {
    4. +                  if (colorEntries[col].GetHashCode() == colorData.GetHashCode())
    5. +                  {
    6. +                     colorIndex = col;
    7. +                  }
    8. +               }
    This was caused by the ColorData overriding the == operator, so basically needed to be looked up by the hash code.

23. carsenk

carsenk

I've been having an issue skinning my Meshes (armor pieces) to the UMA 2 Male Seperated.. I have tried binding the mesh to the bone as well as making sure the skin weights were correct, I am able to import the model just fine into Unity, switch the rig to Humanoid and continue to make the slot or overlay assets, however sometimes either when trying to make the slot with slot builder it doesn't actually make the slot asset or it does but then when loaded up on my UMA character it doesn't appear or its attached in an odd spot like helmet will attach to his hips and not his head ( I bound the helmet to the head bone) I also have tried this in several modelling apps such as Blender, 3DS Max 2016 Student, and Maya 2016 Student.

Any ideas from anyone familiar with UMA 2 and making slots/overlays or the skinning of meshes? Anyone know of any other UMA 2 skinning videos as there are only a few on YouTube and they are for UMA 1...

24. Teila

Teila

Secret Anorak made a few on his YouTube site and I believe he is making more.

carsenk and SecretAnorak like this.
  25. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hi carsenk.

If you check out my current series, you should get some idea of what is happening. I've not published the slot making part yet, but that's the easy bit, the preparation is critical. I can almost guarantee you have a mismatch in your model's transforms, as the UMA Avatar is rotated and scaled in an odd way. I show a fix for that in part 3, follow along and try again.

Hope that helps.

carsenk likes this.
  26. Teila

Teila

@SecretAnorak, are you making a video that shows skinning clothing like shirts and pants?

carsenk likes this.
  27. carsenk

carsenk

Thank you so much SecretAnorak, I will definitely be watching and will try to see if I can get my issue resolved, I do see how critical the preparation steps are before, if anything is slightly off the whole rest of the UMA process is pointless at that point. So yes, I think you are understanding exactly what my issue is. I will try your videos and let you know my findings.

The best video for this would be something in regards to using Maya, 3DS Max, or Blender to import the UMA Male Skinned Mesh and then importing another model and binding it to the rigging etc. then exporting into Unity, that is mainly what I need here as somewhere in there I go wrong (probably within the modelling app)....even though when trying pose mode and moving bones around the mesh I recently attached does update and move to the rigging which is the way it should be, but I am totally lost on where I could be going wrong really....I just know when I try to make a slot asset it is either blank without the mesh or it has it and then when I equip it, it doesnt show or is at an off angel, so yea, ill check your vids and report back :)

Thank you so much for making videos as well! :)

28. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

I certainly am. The cap is a quick win and should be fully a working slot at the end of the next video. However both the shirt and pants present particular problems which I can't wait to show you how to banish.

So: next video is a quick win, after that I go deeper into the rabbit hole for those who want to know it all.

carsenk and Teila like this.
  29. Teila

Teila

I can't wait!! Such a thrill when I get that email about a new video! lol

carsenk likes this.
  30. carsenk

carsenk

Been watching your videos SecretAnorak, on Video 2, I found the actual .max scene file from the same github in a new MAX folder, it seems to load up differently than the older .fbx file for the Male_Seperated. I am using UMA 2, does that matter at all?

EDIT: Yea I have done everything stated in your videos up until part 3, not sure if I am correct in part 4 though and im sure that matters some, but I know to switch the rig to humanoid and export as fbx with 1.0 scale etc. trying it out right now

Please make Part 4!! :) Awesome videos, very clear and well spoken, what scale setting do you recommend for Max for Unit Setup for the US? Inches? Which Inches exactly?

Will update more as I find out more :) so far I have done everything the same as you have.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  31. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Hi everyone I just made a simple script to quickly change all the slot and overlay materials instead of doing it manually. It's late and I haven't fully tested it yet but it seems to work. Just drag your slot and overlay libraries in to the wizard along with the UMAMaterial. I made it so I can have UMAs side by side using different shader so I can see what looks best and tweak.

Hope someone finds it useful.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using UMA;
    5. using System;
    8. public class AssignUMAMaterial : ScriptableWizard
    9. {
    10.     public UMAMaterial material;
    11.     public SlotLibrary slotLib;
    12.     public OverlayLibrary overlayLib;
    14.     String help = "Select Slots and Overlays";
    16.     public SlotDataAsset[] slots;
    17.     public bool findAllSlots = false;
    18.     public OverlayDataAsset[] overlays;
    19.     public bool findAllOverlays = false;
    21.     void OnWizardUpdate()
    22.     {
    23.         helpString = help;
    24.         isValid = (material != null);
    26.         if (slotLib != null)
    27.         {
    28.             if (findAllSlots == true)
    29.             {
    30.                 slots = slotLib.GetAllSlotAssets();
    31.             }
    32.         }
    33.         if (overlayLib != null)
    34.         {
    35.             if (findAllOverlays == true)
    36.             {
    37.                 overlays = overlayLib.GetAllOverlayAssets();
    38.             }
    39.         }
    40.     }
    42.     void OnWizardCreate()
    43.     {
    44.         if (slots.Length > 0)
    45.         {
    46.             foreach (SlotDataAsset slot in slots)
    47.             {
    48.                 slot.material = material;
    49.             }
    50.         }
    51.         if (overlays.Length > 0)
    52.         {
    53.             foreach (OverlayDataAsset overlay in overlays)
    54.             {
    55.                 overlay.material = material;
    56.             }
    57.         }
    58.     }
    60.     [MenuItem("Custom/Assign Material", false, 4)]
    61.     static void assignMaterial()
    62.     {
    63.         ScriptableWizard.DisplayWizard("Assign Material", typeof(AssignUMAMaterial), "Assign");
    64.     }
    65. }

32. jrhee

jrhee

Hi,

I recently came across UMA and am really excited about it!

So far I've been able to convert my existing rig to a UMA compatible format, extract the t-pose into a custom race and use that to generate a UMA avatar.

I've noticed two issues so far while testing:
    1) Some faces seem to be missing on my combined mesh. It doesn't appear to be an issue with inverted normals since they appear fine on basic avatars.
    2) Mesh weights don't seem to be consistent with basic avatars (note the hands in the example below).

upload_2016-1-23_0-6-13.png

Any ideas on how I might troubleshoot these?

Thanks!

33. jrhee

jrhee

Disregard, looks like something's wrong with my models- looking into it a bit more on my end, thanks!

34. Jaimi

Jaimi

FYI - Updated UMA on Github with a fix for the multi-UV issue causing crashes in the SkinnedMeshCombiner.

35. jrhee

jrhee

Two quick questions on overlays:

1 - What's the recommended way to create new overlay assets? I saw the tool demonstrated in tutorials is now referred to as "Legacy Texture Builder", but I don't see an alternative documented anywhere. Should we just create overlay assets from the create menu?

2. Any chance there's a way to automate cropping and setting the offset rect of overlays like shown in the underwear/brow/beard examples?

36. SecretAnorak

SecretAnorak

Hi jrhee,
    I wrote a little guide to overlay creation some time ago. The Legacy builder is necessary if you wish to use UMA's compressed special textures. However you can create overlays with any shader manually (including PBR). Have a little look at my rough guide:

Now you can use any Shader you like with much less fuss. I say less, since there is still a fuss to be had, but once you get into the flow it's pretty simple. Let's step through an example with unity's standard shader
    1. Create a Unity material and switch to the standard shader with specular setup (so we can use Diff, Norm and Spec maps). You can add maps here, but they will/can be overwritten later.
    2. Right click in the project panel and create a new UMAMaterial, Give it a name and set if you want it to atlas with similar materials or not. (it will only atlas with overlays using the same shader)
    3. Set your channel size to 3
    4. Set the first channel to Texture, and it's property to _MainTex (these property names are found by digging around in the shader code)
    5. Set the second to Normal Map, and its property to _BumpMap (yes you use standard normal maps since this is not UMA's special shader anymore)
    6. Set the third to Texture, and its property to _SpecGlossMap
    7. Right click in the project panel and create a new UMA Overlay Asset.
    8. Set the texture list size to 3 and add your textures in the order you defined above.
    9. Set the Material to the UMAMaterial you created in the last few steps.
    10. Bam! you now have an overlay that uses the standard shader.
    NB: Slots also have a material property that MUST match any overlay you add. so you will have to change the slot definitions too before you can add your new overlay to them.

Bit of a slog, but if you're not afraid of digging through shader code, this process should work with any shader."

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    treshold likes this.
  37. Teila

Teila

UMA2 now has slot and overlay builders so it is very easy to do. Just click and add what is required to the slots. If you are using PBR materials, download them and just replace the legacy with the PBR. I tried deleting the Legacy folder once and had issues so I guess it has to remain.

carsenk likes this.
  38. UnLogick

UnLogick

Cool stuff, I love the art style.

39. jrhee

jrhee

Awesome, thanks everyone!

40. Ashamen

Ashamen

My apologies if this has been answered already, which i swear it has but i cant seem to find it.

I created a new race to understand the mechanics. I used the bones from the UMA female base, skinned as close to her skinning. after going through the race videos i got all the errors fixed that i could find. So when i generate the character nothing shows up visual. The hierarchy shows that the model is generated with its bones all. When i look at the scene view it shows the gizmos that are generated and if i zoom in 1 small circle is visible, which might be part of a breast but i have no clue. Any ideas on why the model is invisible. Oh and im using overlays from the uma female just to test the process, i havent used my own overlays yet.

Tony

41. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

does anybody have a working copy of the uma werewolves? They were once in the asset store and for free I guess?

Thanks and have a nice Weekend :)

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's on github: https://github.com/huika/UMA-Extrafiles

Firlefanz73 and hopeful like this.
  43. Ashamen

Ashamen

Ok on closer inspection, and I do mean closer (zoomed in on the one visible piece as close as Unity will let me) I see some barely discernible floating pieces within the Gizmo. I am thinking that my scaling the rig up to match the size of my character was not such a good idea. After examining the rig structure over the course of figuring how UMA works I think I understand how it is put together so I will just recreate the rig but matching everything it has with new bones. I really dislike how Blender exported out a very tiny, and to me, unusable example mesh/rig.

44. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Are These werewolves working still? Are there more uma non-human Things instead of the Zombies I saw in the asset store? Uma Mummies would be cool :rolleyes:

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

I haven't used them, so I can't say for sure. But I believe they will work if you recreate the slots and overlays.

46. andrew210

andrew210

Finally got around to coming close to finishing my mobile friendly UMA characters:

Next step is the mouth movements for speaking when they're talking to the avatar. First we tried doing animations for this in blender and importing it before realising this doesn't work so then I looked into UMA Expressions and quickly became very confused. Looking at the examples, I can see how the UMA Expression Player works mostly, however I can't figure out how to feed it an animation. I'm assuming that I'd record an animation and then save it (could this be done with the standard way of recording unity animations or does it *have* to be done within the UMA Expression Player? Once these clips are saved, I can't figure out how to pass this back into the UMA Expression Player, any help would be greatly appreciated!

UnLogick and hopeful like this.
  47. dudedude123

dudedude123

Is there a way to transfer weight to the clothing with the new blender?

48. ecurtz

ecurtz

There are some (very) brief instructions about building animation clips for the Expression Player in UMA/Example/Expressions/Scenes/Editing Expression Clips.txt but the basic idea is that the expression components act just like any other channel that can be animated by Unity. You don't animate the individual bones but for example the smile/frown amount of the left side of the mouth.

hopeful likes this.
  49. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Just an info for the uma expressions:

I have bought the asset "Salsa with random eyes".
    It supports Lip Sync Talking and expressions. I am very satisfied with it.

50. andrew210

andrew210

I looked into that too, but I won't have voice acting in my game as we're trying to keep filesize super small, can I feed Salsa either text or even just a "Start Talking" and "End Talking" command? Failing that maybe I could send it an audio clip with cadences that would animate the mouth and somehow mute the audio clip for the user...?

And the final bug I can't figure out now,

here's my model with everything on, the mouth is closed on the model by default:

And here we go in the game the mouth is always open and not shuttable with the ExpressionPlayer, using the ThirdPersonAnimationController and the animations from Standard Assets (although we replaced "Idle" with our own custom idle animation incase that could have been a cause for the error)

Not strictly an UMA issue, but I figure the people in this thread have the depth of knowledge to hopefully be able to give an idea as to why it does this / might help someone else here if they come across the same problem.