Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. ecurtz

ecurtz

You can certainly generate slots and overlays in any combination you want, but some things might be difficult to achieve within the limitations of the random set. I didn't write that code, so this isn't necessarily correct, only my understanding of how it "should" work.

If you want everyone to have the torso slot, you should add it into its own section, and give it the option of the two skin overlays, then everyone will have the default bare top. Then in a separate section you can add the various options for shirt slots and it will add one of those as well. The complication comes from also wanting the overlay only shirts to be an option in that set. As far as I can tell from a quick look at the code there's not protection against adding the same slot multiple times, so you can't really put the torso in there a second time for the shirt overlays. If this is your own code that wouldn't be hard to change, but if this is just for an asset demo or something I don't see a way to do it.

However it looks like the shirt meshes would cover up the overlay tops, is there some reason you can't have one of them there all the time? You could do that by having the overlay top options in the first section with the torso, and then in the section with the slot shirts have a third unnamed slot option. If this one was randomly chosen it wouldn't add a slot from that section leaving one of the overlay shirts.

2. Suraia

Suraia

Thanks for replying again.

As far as I know what you explained here is exactly what I already did. The reason I 'can't' have one of the overlays all the time is pretty simple. If I should make a chest piece with a low back for example but my default bra overlay shows up, you'd always see it. That's why I created the naked chest Torso slot and made a separate module with the different slots for the chest pieces and top overlays.

In the end, for the things I want to create, I think I won't be using the randomsets as they are now since I'd need to have a way to changing the clothes of the characters or hiding them. If I correctly understand how the randomsets work at the moment I think that I can't use them for that and I'd have to start writing my own scripts for that.
    So there is a good way around it in the end, I just wanted to know how it worked for the possibility of generating certain sets of characters without writing my own scripts. I think I know now when I can look into using a random set and when I need to write my own script.

3. jonboris

jonboris

Hi, I've just tried opening my project in the free version of Unity 5. I'd previously converted the project to use UMA 2, and it worked fine in Unity 5 Pro, which I use at work. But when I checked the project out at home and tried to run it in Unity 5 Free, my characters generate veeery slowly and many of the overlays come out as white (as they're not loading properly). Can anyone help with this?

4. ecurtz

ecurtz

Are you using UMA2 from the latest branch in github? I've only seen this happen as part of a weird Editor issue where it seems to be leaking graphics render textures, but we haven't been able to track it down. Does restarting Unity fix it? Performance should be identical in both versions of Unity 5.

5. jonboris

jonboris

@ecurtz, I'm not sure if it's the latest version of UMA2, but it definitely is UMA2 if that makes sense (I've run all the converter scripts successfully etc).

I've managed to get it working now. I realised that the "UMA Generator" script was still doing a "use unity Pro" check. When I disabled this in the script, everything worked fine again :)

6. ecurtz

ecurtz

If not using Pro was still an option it isn't the latest code, but sounds like you've got it working well enough to wait until release to update.

7. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

There is a way to import those basic animations (idle, running) in Maya to check my rigging/skinning?

8. UnLogick

UnLogick

No.
    That would require an fbx exporter or similar. Problem is that Maya can't do Mecanim retargeting, and those animations were not created for uma, they're just retargeted at runtime by Unity.

9. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I believe Maya might have it's own retargeting solution, so you could import the fbx file and retarget to the other rig, just be aware the final animation result will be different than the mecanim one, as the retargeting process may vary.

10. Sliceandkill

Sliceandkill

Ok thanks! What FBX I should import?

11. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Just take a look at the animation you would like to import to maya, there should be a fbx file that provides the animation. There had been many years since I lat used maya, so I don't know what tools you will need to use on the retargeting steps in maya side.
    Cheers

12. kreston

kreston

Hello there, I have 2 questions about UMA.

1. I want to create a new race (a child race, both boy and girl) I've created the model with MakeHuman and it has its rig too.
    Do i have to use the same rig system in the standart uma model?

2. I'm capturing motion with kinect and importing to my Unity project. But when i apply the recorded mocap to UMA avatar, it looks strange. Characters mouth is always open and avatar is going upwards slowly(he is flying :D)

Can you guys help me with these?

13. Ging2020

Ging2020

I have same problem with you, because this plugin is not upgraded to the unity 5,so there are problems,I hope developers can upgrade it. Thank you

14. ecurtz

ecurtz

Unless you really dislike the base meshes for some reason you're much better off doing children with a new DNAConverterBehaviour rather than with a new mesh. You'd need to do that code anyway to make them adjustable as well as the fairly complex rigging required.

The open mouth is a known issue with Mecanim, for some reason they used JawClosed rather than JawOpen and so anything with the default value of 0 leaves them with their mouth hanging open. You can change the TPose on your race to fix it (there are _NoJaw versions included), but that will break Mecanim animations that actually do have Jaw data. The floating thing is usually related to root motion and/or multiple layer animations blending badly.

15. jonboris

jonboris

Hi, I have a general question about how to deal with accessories...

I'm making a set of glasses and a set of ears of different size.
    What's the best way to get the glasses to fit snugly over the ears?

Hint: my existing rig currently has no "ear" bone!

16. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

The only way I imagine that can handle this is having ear adjust bones, and having those influencing the glasses area that has contact with the ear, this way it adapts to ear position and scale. Don't use the ear bone itself instead of an adjust bone, other side you will have problems with ear rotation.

17. kreston

kreston

So if i create a new DNAConverterBehaviour can final result look like this?

For the second question : there are no multiple layer animations. Only one animation like Idle_short
    How can i solve the floating character problem?

18. buckius82

buckius82

You want the animatorI in the root object. The way I did it was I drug the the prefas in the scene I de parented the object containing the animator. And created a new7 prefab then targeted the umarace to the new prefab. Hope this helps

19. jonboris

jonboris

@FernandoRibeiro Thanks, I thought that might be the case, but was wondering if there were any alternatives (guess not!)

So, I need to add in a left & right ear adjustment bone... if I add this to my existing rig, will I need to re-generate every slot I've made so far, or can I just re-do the ears and glasses? (assuming these are the only things influenced by the ear adjustment bones)

20. frankmat

frankmat

Hi I was wondering... if I wanted to overlay a number onto a player jersey... and do it dynamically. Is there any way in UMA to add it into the overlay as text rather than an image? or will I need to create images for each number?

21. buckius82

buckius82

I made a uniform set and wanted to change the patches I had to make an overlay for each; I used combinations to simplify it. If were going to do numbers I would do 0-9 centered for thes single digit numbers. Then do 0-9 offset left and right then do a combination of the two for two digit numbers.

I have done war paint patches tattoo's through gimp, they are not the greatest but are decent place holders until I learn mudbox or another 3d painting application. To answer the original question though I don't think it would be possible unless you tried some sort of projector.

22. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

What's that about UMA2.0?

23. frankmat

frankmat

Thanks. Yes I was going to do the same think with the 0-9 digits offset... but thought I would ask if there was another way :) Thanks again!

24. charris456

charris456

Hi guys,

I am using UMA2 from github, and using the Sci Refit from Will B. I ran the upgrade script, and added the UMA Legacy Material. I am having issues with the slot library actually finding the slot in the dictionary based on the nameHash. When using:

umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[2] = GetSlotLibrary().InstantiateSlot("M_Sci Body_Slot");

I get a slot not found exception. However, if I use

umaData.umaRecipe.slotDataList[2] = GetSlotLibrary().InstantiateSlot(-618223225);

It works.. I added some debug statements and for some reason the hashName is coming up different from what it is in the dictionary when instantiating it by name. I have made sure the actual name string is the same.

I added the slots by dragging the slot into the library, then pressing the Update List / Order By name button.

Anyone know what is going on? Would really like to be able to use the name instead of trying to find and keep track of the hashName for all of them :).

25. ecurtz

ecurtz

Looks like a bug to me, try adding
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             name = slotName;
    into OnAfterDeserialize() (about line 145) of Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/SlotDataAsset.cs
    and see if the name changes in the SlotLibrary

and/or

Look at the actual slot asset and check the Slot Name in the inspector against the string you're using, that's what the hash is from, and it isn't what's currently being shown in the library. :(

26. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

As you're creating your own base mesh, I highly recommend updating all body parts to include the rig extra bones. UMA can handle additional bones, but It's usually better to have the base mesh/rig cover all necessary base bones.
    Cheers

27. ecurtz

ecurtz

That seems like an awful lot of work to get the glasses going. Since I'm lazy I'd at least look into just parenting them entirely to the head and giving them a script or DNAConverterBehaviour that would just adjust the position and rotation a little to match the ears and nose. (Although this is also non-trivial as they'd be part of a sub mesh - maybe give the glasses themselves a single position bone located at the bridge of the nose and use that to adjust them?)

28. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Yep, but he can benefit from the new ear adjust bones for hair (areas close to ear) and other elements as well. I would follow your approach for extra elements, but if this is going to be at the base rig, it's worth updating the rest. If he plans on having more people working on the project, it's better to have a standard.

29. charris456

charris456

Thanks! It was a different name in the actual slot than the asset name.

30. ecurtz

ecurtz

Yeah, it should be possible to do that just with a DNA Converter, although I'm a little worried about eliminating the breasts for a good prepubescent girl result. Unfortunately it will involve a lot of playing with the numbers to get the right results though. I have a better solution for making custom converters on the drawing board but it won't be ready in the immediate future.

As for the other thing there are too many ways to get floating characters to know which one you're seeing, but it's almost certainly a Mecanim issue rather than UMA. Just search here or Google and you'll see a lot of options for what could be going on, most have easy fixes.

31. Sphelps

Sphelps

When is UMA going to be updated also I am having issues with Athena and Dionysus scenes have issues in the examples. Could we update UMA so the pro option is not used

32. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

As soon UMA AssetStore version is updated, I'll upload Athena and Dionysus PBR textures and example scenes, you can check the end result here:

33. Sphelps

Sphelps

Cool Thanks

34. boysenberry

boysenberry

This is a really amazing project!
    Thank you and @UnLogick @ecurtz for all of your hard work (an the rest of the community that have helped make this such an awesome solution.
    I am using Unity 5 personal addition (until I can get to market) and UMA 2 and am amazed at what can be done on a personal budget.
    Also, congratulations on your coming baby; I wish you many blessings with your new born.
    That being said, any idea on when you're submitting to the Unity asset store? I looked in on the Power Tools forum and it would seem to be tied to the release of UMA 2, is that part of the UMA 2 time line for release?
    Just curious and excited to be able to use everything in Unity 5.

Thanks again!

FernandoRibeiro and hopeful like this.
  35. BaxtardWorm

BaxtardWorm

hi i want to know how to get thishttp://unity.darkrurik.com/index.php?option=com_darkunity&view=darkunity&view=darkunity_esempio_7&Itemid=1410 with an Avatar uma and possibly how to associate a motion animation, and then create other type style swimming or jumping power help me thanks

36. kreston

kreston

I have solved the floating character problem. Thanks.
    But i couldn't understand the DnaConverter part. For example, in HumanMaleDNAConverterBehaviour its just changing the scale of the bones depending on umaDna values. I don't think i can create a child with only changing scale of the mesh. Or am i missing something?

37. ecurtz

ecurtz

Nope, in theory you should be able to make a child just by changing the scale (and position) of the bones - that's the whole idea behind having all those adjustment bones - one mesh in, all sorts of meshes out. You can't make a child with the sliders in the demo because those are all constrained to make vaguely plausible adults. However that's the theory, I don't think it's at all easy with the current tools to actually make a new DNA Converter which will produce nice looking child mesh. Think if you were trying to convert the current mesh into a child in a 3d application: you'd scale the whole thing down, then make the head a bit bigger, adjust the eye spacing and limb proportions, etc. All those adjustments should be possible to do with DNA, it's just a bunch of work. The question is just if it is more or less work than skinning the new child mesh with the complicated UMA rig.

38. ecurtz

ecurtz

We're trying to put the stuff together for a new Asset Store package and sorely need some more artistic folks who wouldn't mind doing some screenshots or maybe a new logo. If you might be interested please drop into the Skype support chat! (PM me if you need the link.)

boysenberry and hopeful like this.
  39. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I'll be able to help, ~2 weeks for our baby to arrive =)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    boysenberry, ecurtz and IFL like this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

Better hurry up and make use of Fernando. Babies can't always tell time properly. :)

boysenberry likes this.
  41. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

That's for sure =D

boysenberry likes this.
  42. hopeful

hopeful

43. UnLogick

UnLogick

My time is severely limited these days. So when Eli and I was both online we decided to push through and release even though the docs are weak and the upgrade guide weaker. Please help each other out and update the forum and the wiki with your experiences. We tested as well as we could but please don't consider this a well polished build.

What I'm trying to say is READ THE UPGRADE GUIDE both when you upgrade your existing project and when you import 3rd party content designed for UMA 1. Please note that it is impossible to roll back to UMA 1 once you go UMA 2, only a backup will let you do that!

So make sure to take a backup, if you encounter anything weird please update the wiki with a warning, nobody reads the entire forum thread! So adding a small warning in the wiki perhaps with a link to a more comprehensive forum post could help save others the pain.

44. kimgod1142

kimgod1142

Hi! i'm planning to use UMA for my game
    But i'm kinda noob for unity, and also have no idea about graphic design things.
    So I think i need to use kind of tools like DK uma editor or Uma Power tools
    but only problem is i got no much money to buy all that tools, also even I don't know which one would be better.
    So I'd like you(All UMA users or developer) to recommend one of them.
    for right now I'm thinking about purchase power tool, but I also want to listen other developer's opinion
    Thanks!

45. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am unsure wich uma plugin is now or will be shortly compatible with UMA 2.
    I am interested to buy one but also have some.

So what i want to buy is from DK UMA Team the Dynamic Kit UMA Edition Premium.
    Also i am interested in the UMA Recipe Tools from UnLogick Factory

I have UMA Power Tools from UnLogick Factory
    UMAzing from Strafejump Studios and it look a little that this will not be updated because the makers now choose UE4

Any words about them and UMA 2?

46. ecurtz

ecurtz

Wait until you've played with Unity enough to understand what it is you need before you buy anything. All the tools will still be there.

FernandoRibeiro, hopeful and UnLogick like this.
  47. ecurtz

ecurtz

I recommended waiting a few days to let the tool authors get a handle on their upgrade plans .

All of the current UMA extensions on the store could potentially have issues with the UMA 2 upgrade until the authors make any code changes required. You'll have to contact them or wait for them to announce what they'll be doing with UMA 2 support. I know Joen (UnLogick Factory) is planning to upgrade his tools soon, because he was doing a lot of the work on UMA 2, but even those aren't working today.

hopeful likes this.
  48. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Oh and because i saw you are now here Fernando, can i still use the old videos to learn how to make new characters for UMA 2? If not i would like to know what has changed or how it has to be done now.

49. UnLogick

UnLogick

The asset workflows are still the same. That's why UMA 1 content can be imported into UMA 2. However in UMA 2 we do some additional processing. In UMA 1 the Material Builder gave you SlotData and OverlayData assets, in UMA 2 the material builder gives you SlotDataAsset and OverlayDataAsset assets. This is handled automatically when you press the "Find Missing References" button which is why you should press this button every time you add UMA 1 content to your project.

50. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Is there any upgrade guidance on upgrading old Slots/Overlays to the new system? I haven't looked at the newest rev yet. I am using 2.x from a few months ago (right around the U5 release), and I went through the upgrade process back then (from 1.x to 2.x). Will my old slots/overlays still work? If not, can they be upgraded or do I need to recreate them by hand?