Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Centripetal

Centripetal

It seems to work when I comment out lines 753 through 775 of CustomDNAConverterBehavior. (Same as HumanFemaleDNAConverterBehavior)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Hard target

Hard target

How do I save a character made with uma?

3. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    I´ve tested a build with Unity 4.5.2f1 and UMA 1.21 and didn´t managed to replicate your problem.
    If you´re testing on a clean project with UMA 1.21 imported, it´s hard to tell what could be wrong... :(
    be sure you´re importing the project from assetStore into a new unity project to be sure.

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

5. Stickworm

Stickworm

Thanks Ecurtz and Fernando for the info, I'll give it a go. I've also played about some with Daz today and managed to import the models complete with their morphs. What would people say the pros and cons of the two systems were? I'm wondering if daz's morph data might start to get really big for one

6. Hard target

Hard target

I followed the instructions to make a prefab.And it would not work.The button would not show up.

7. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

I test with new empty project and download UMA again. In this case all work. But in my project with generated by material builder slots and overlays (incl. green normal map) and default UMABase material I have no normal maps in build. In editor all fine.

I have another question too. What is best way to do cloak with UMA? If I use additional bones to bake cloak animation, will I need many animations for each couple of character animation and cloak?

8. hopeful

hopeful

There is a video at the top of p. 27 of this thread showing a character wearing a cape that uses bones with physics applied. Maybe that technique is something you can use.

9. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

I am sorry cant seem to find the avatar with points set up for marvelous designer any one point me in the right spot please.

10. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

after a lot of searching the awnser to UMA's fbx not working in a lot of programs and the model being so small in max and maya and such it turns out to be a blender bug. it appears that when you export a skeletal mesh from blender using fbx it somehow messes up the scale.

Making the physical model bigger or even adjusting the various different scale settings has no effect. It would seem from reading around that this is a known issue and that in certain previous versions this was not a problem.

The easy fix for this would be for some one who knows blender well to export the female and male model as .dae files and add them to the conet pack.

11. hopeful

hopeful

Just to get it clearly stated in the forum, which versions of Blender work with fbx and which don't?

12. Tryz

Tryz

I've been playing around with UMA for a couple of days and so far it's really pretty awesome. Building off of the Power Tools, I created my own recipe editor and that has made it a whole lot easier. Thanks Fernando!

Here's where I'm a little stuck... I'm not sure how to organize and place all my components since the model doesn't really exist.

I'm working on getting his armor, boots, pouches, bow, sword, etc. attached. I also have things like the Motion Controller and a custom Animator that would allow him to climb, run, etc. Finally, I've got other components for things like attributes, inventory, skills, etc.

Normally, I'd put all of these components on the GameObject that is the character. However, with UMA most things (Animator, Character Controller, etc.) don't exist until run-time. So, I can't set things up in the editor the way I'd normally do it.

How are other people building out their PCs and NPCs when using UMA?

What do you do for components (like the Character Controller) that needs to be modified at edit-time?

Is there some workflow I haven't really grasped yet?

I'll take any advice I can get! thanks. :)

13. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Hi there,

i have a problem using mecanim with the UMA-Avatars.
    If i use the free raw MoCap-Data (available in the Asset-Store), the gravity isnt working anymore. Additionally the Avatars are slowly flying in the air. Its a problem with the rigidbody i think.
    How can I fix that?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  14. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

From my understanding anything past blender 2.2 the fbx export has not been compatible with bones not a blender user just reading there page as its a know issue the statement was from there web page.

15. hopeful

hopeful

Welcome to the UMA-verse, Tim!

I think UMA is trying to scale its 2nd mountain right now, which is getting the basic kit - which works - fleshed out to where people can pick it up and easily use it in games.

The only store asset I'm familiar with that addressed the placement of handheld items for UMAs was UMA Wizard, which unfortunately is currently abandoned (or at least the dev is on hiatus since May). IIRC, what he was doing was creating an UMA, then placing weapons and working out IK for that UMA, and saving the weapon orientation and IK for that character along with the recipe. He was in the process of developing and standardizing that system when he got called away.

Now ... could weapons, shield, and so forth be handled as additional slots? I think that was the plan early on, maybe with turning slots off and on in conjunction with weapon draw / sheathe animations. But I don't recall anyone demonstrating it.

Any insight / help you could provide in this area would be great, as there doesn't appear to be any clearly established method at the moment. Fernando and UnLogick have been the main movers for UMA, and they can certainly tell you more than I can about it.

BTW, nice to see your use of proportional graphics alongside your UMA. I wish I'd thought of that. It's a good idea!

16. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks Hopeful! :)

I don't have any real issues with weapons and such. I've created a mount-point system that can create pseudo bones off real bones and allows items like swords to be attached. It's worked out great except it requires setup with the character ahead of time.

I think that's the crux of my dilemma. If avatar's aren't created until run-time, how do people edit things like the Character Controller or Mount Points during edit-time? I can see where some of this info could be saved with the recipe, but that feels a bit cumbersome.

If I can wrap my head around this, I may be able to modify the assets I sell to support UMA.

Another thing I'm hoping to get help with. I've created my first 'slot' and 'overlay'. For the most part, everything worked great. However, the overlay doesn't seem to be rendering the texture correctly.

You can see in the bottom half that the Material Builder created the overlay and placed the textures there. The hair texture looks good. However, when put on the slot it doesn't look right.

To try to simplify things, the texture doesn't use any alphas and I added the blue to test it out. I thought alpha might be the issue, but it wasn't.

I'm not sure if the issue was with the building of the overlay or a shader. Thoughts?

Thanks.

17. hopeful

hopeful

Going by the forum postings, it seems like 9 out of 10 people struggle initially getting the Blender to UMA workflow right.

I have no idea what's going on in your case, but Fernando will probably respond and set you straight in a few hours. ;)

18. Tryz

Tryz

So I figured out that the UVs of the model were running into the negatives (i.e. 0 to -1). Unity and Maya seems to render that fine, but UMA isn't. Once I made all my UVs positive (i.e. 0 to 1), the textures show up correctly...mostly.

Now to figure out how to get transparencies to work... ;)

Once I get this all working, I'll upload a 'How To' guide for Maya. It contains all the tips and tricks I'm learning along the way.

Teila likes this.
  19. adventurefan

adventurefan

Not sure if it's what you are doing, but are you adding a mesh and you want a normal map plus transparency to work on it? then you need a regular Unity shader like Transparent/bumped specular set as the shader for it.

Also I'd like to share a helpful script I found for anyone looking to export your specific uma model geometry with textures to work on custom textures in other progs. Not needed if you're making generator stuff but I mean if you have NPCs that are always the same, or a player that's always the same, with this script you can make their appearance first, export them, then work off the literal geometry in other programs to make accurately custom textures.

exporter script at bottom of this post: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/420747/obj-mesh-export-help.html

20. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks AdventureFan.

I am trying to get the normal map plus transparency and nothing seems to be working. I tried Transparent/bumped and UMA/TransparentTwoSided.

I've even created my own shader to support transparencies. If I do this:

float4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex);
    o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    o.Alpha = c.a + 0.1;

I get a faint transparency as I'd expect (assuming c.a is 0). However, if I take off the " + 0.1", I see nothing. It's like my image (a PNG) doesn't return anything in the alpha channel. For kicks, I tried the beard texture that came with UMA (and works on the face), but I have the same exact issue on the hair.

Funny how the simplest things can be the biggest pain in the butt.

(Thanks for the share!)

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hey Tim

You're way off target with all this worry about transparency. Clearly you're using UMA incorrectly. So just take a deep breath and read the uma wiki newbie section to get your bearings straight.

The thing you need to understand is that the SlotData.materialSample is cloned and used for setting up the final UMA materials. If you set a transparent shader on the material sample that SlotData will render transparent!

The female avatars are already two draw calls as their eye lashes are rendered with the transparent two sided shader.

Cheers

22. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Make sure there is only one rigid body OR CharacterController, not both. also try increasing the character weight to stop him from floating. If you're using your own Animator make sure to disable Locomotion on the Male_Unified in the Races folder

23. UnLogick

UnLogick

Just set your own controller on the UMACrowd, UMADynamicAvatar, or whatever entity you use to spawn UMA characters with. You simply CANNOT CHANGE a mecanim avatar once it has been assigned and UMA will assign the controller you tell it to assign!

24. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

Ya that's what I meant. We define our aniatr in our spawing object and it verrides the locomotion controller.

25. adventurefan

adventurefan

Well to change the shader, are you going through material builder, creating the new slot for it with the new material (that has your shader you want) in MaterialSample? Because that's the way I do it and it works. If you can't get it to work I'll do a tutorial at some point.

(also I should add there's a bit of an additional weird trick I have to do to use this, which is set the normal map in the material sample, and the diffuse in the overlay. don't ask me why but that works out fine whereas methods may not render something)

26. Tryz

Tryz

Haha... That's a programmer response if I've ever seen one. :)

I've spent the last couple of days going through the wiki and documentation. I've read them all. Unfortunately, it's all very 50,000 ft level.

I did go back and try again as you suggest:

1. I set the textures and built the overlay.
    2. Then I set the Material Sample to the transparent one you suggested and built the slot.
    3. I've made sure the overlay and slot live in libraries and random set.

As you can see, no hair. In fact, I've confirmed the hair slot is actually there. It's just every pixel is transparent.

From my previous tests, I can tell you that I'm getting back 0 as the alpha value from the tex2D() call that's in the shader. Definitely odd.

If there's a different way I should be doing this, please let me know and I'll share my step-by-step instructions with others so they don't go through the pain.

27. Tryz

Tryz

Thanks for the help AdventureFan. :)

Originally I wasn't trying to use my own shader and I simply went through the Material Builder and used TransparentTwoSided. Only as I dug around to find out what I was doing wrong did I start using my own shader.

With my own shader, I still went through the Material Builder... I believe that's correct.

Totally believe there's some step or nuance that I'm missing. Thanks again.

28. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hehe, true.

My point is that this is working on everything else than your stuff, so it has to do with the way you use UMA.

Please get me a screenshot of the inspector of the SkinnedMeshRenderer on the generated UMA character. I'm especially interested in the materials list and the inspectors of each of those materials.

If you select the UMAData on the generated character at run-time and find the hair in the inspector a screenshot of that could provide valuable clues.

Also what alpha value do you set on the overlay color? I'm thinking that if you fail to specify a color you might end up with rgba(0,0,0,0) and the alpha channel might get multiplied with 0, giving you the result you describe.

29. Navtej

Navtej

Bone_error.jpg I am Getting a Problem of Bone, i have tried my custom avatar and Werewolf avatar also, getting problem in both the Models.
    Unity Error : Exception : Bone Not Found
    PFA Screenshot

30. Tryz

Tryz

Here's the images you asked for. I did dig through all my stuff first, but with no luck. That's why I went deeper.

Hopefully you'll see something I missed. You can see the hair mesh, but no visible texture.

Left side is the Skinned Mesh Renderer.

Right side is the Slots. Different character since I accidentally stopped it first, but same effect.

Overlay color alpha is 255. Given the question, I did try changing the color to red (with 255 alpha), but that didn't help.

Thanks.

31. UnLogick

UnLogick

According to this image the overlay color is white with alpha 0, that black line below the white color is the alpha modifier. Set that to 0 and your texture alpha channel doesn't matter. Set this to 255 and your alpha will work as intended.

Attached Files:

32. Tryz

Tryz

I was stumped for a bit.

The overlay value was actually set to 255. However, the value in the Random Set was set to 0. I just thought it was a pass through from the overlay and didn't think to check it.

Once I changed the Random Set, it worked.

Thanks!

[Edit]
    If you're using Maya, I put together a quick step-by-step walk through for creating your own Overlays and Slots. There are some things in bold red that caught me along the way. Once I got past them, smooth sailing...

If it's useful, feel free to share it or add it to the wiki..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    Richardm1985 likes this.
  33. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

I test with new empty project and download UMA again. In this case all work. But in my project with generated by material builder slots and overlays (incl. green normal map) and default UMABase material I have no normal maps in build. In editor all fine.

Can anybody help?

Teila likes this.
  34. Teila

Teila

Wow! This is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much. :) I am making assets at the moment and using Maya...and was about ready to attempt to figure all this out. Perfect timing.

Tryz likes this.
  35. UnLogick

UnLogick

I added it and linked it from our Content Creation main page.
    http://uma.unity3d.com/wiki/index.php/Content_Creation

Tryz and Teila like this.
  36. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Hello guys. Is it possible add system to custom created avatars? Sorry if I am not first asking this. ;)

37. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Sorry i dont get it.

I use the UMACrowdScript to let my Avatars spawn. So i changed the AnimationController in UMACrowd [GameObject] to my own "MyAnim".
    If i turn off the Animator in the Avatars inspector while running, gravity will work. But then i dont get the Animations.
    It doesnt matter which AnimationController i use - the prefab Locomotion or MyAnim. It deals with the Animationprefabs. If i use the Animations which are included in the UMAPackage i dont get problems. But if i use Raw MoCao-Data, the problems start. Maybe it deals with the hierarchy of the Animations?

No-Problems-Animation-prefab:
    Gravityproblem 1.jpg

Problems-Animation-Prefab:
    Gravityproblem 2.jpg

Do i have do change the hierarchy of the Animation-prefab?
    Or does the yellow Rectangle have to include an Idling-animation?

Please help....:eek:

38. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yes, but unless you do some very serious rigging, your avatars would become their own base meshes incompatible with the existing "uma male", "uma female" and "uma werewolf" base meshes and existing clothes.

If you want the full base mesh/clothing compatibility you would have to re-skin your avatars to use the existing uma skeleton rig, as well as skin it into matching proportions, and then use a custom dna converter to restore your proportions afterward! (As I said very serious rigging).

However you can easily give your avatars the full adjustment power of UMA, it would only require you to do minor work.
    1. Add some extra uma adjustment bones
      I'm only talking about inserting some bones in the hierarchy!
    2. Create a DNA class with the values that you will allow people to change.
    3. Create a DNA converter that converts the dna values to bone scale/position/rotation.
    You can pm me your skype info and I can give you further details.

39. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you for quick repose UnLogick.

I wish to create my own avatars and add only adjustment power to it. I don't need existing clothes\armor sets will be useful for my avatars. So second option is my choice.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  40. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

One thing to keep in mind, if you use the UMA humanoid as a base, the clothing you design for your models could also be sold individually and used with other UMA models as well. We are kinda hurting for clothing options at the moment.. Well, and hair.. And wings.. And... lol I would love to get a set of model for humans, elves, dwarves, woodland fae/faeries, cat folk, and a canine lyncanthorpe type race (yeah Fernando, I know there is the werewolf but he looks more creature than playable race to me heheh) where clothing could be interchanged. I think Fernando and Joen mentioned that could be doable if they all used the same base skeleton, if I remember correctly. (hard to tell with my memory these days lol)

At any rate, as we were talking in our emails.. Would be awesome to get some artists on board designing for UMA. Hopefully we can twist your arm into working on getting some of your work in the UMA market!

41. hopeful

hopeful

My take on Mr. Necturus' situation is that he already has his own base female with the elf women, plus a few to choose from as base males. He could also rig the skeletons, reptilian, and goblins with adjust bones so that when they spawn in mobs they don't look like a bunch of clones.

Once he sets up the base female, all of his female clothing items become interchangeable for that body, and it's relatively easy to add more.

Once he selects a base male, if he wishes he can reconfigure all of his armors and clothing to fit on a single model, probably including all of the skeleton armors. That would be a big gain for anyone purchasing his models. And then there's the huge inventory of weapons and shields that he has.

He could even UMA-ize the horse and unicorn he has in his library, so that the horn, mane, tail, saddle, armor, and coat colors all become interchangeable slots and overlays.

42. mr_Necturus

mr_Necturus

Thank you guys! Actually I planned this many times ago, and start this winter after will finish my other big Castle project.

The plan was to create man and woman hero characters and ad to them many clothes, armors, weapons and all animations which I have one by one over time. All in Medieval Fantasy style.

I don't want to use my old stuff. I like to go straight ahead and don't turn back. ;)

So I want to create my own avatar characters and combine it with UMA technical futures. I still didn't decide yes or no. It will depend on how easy I can integrate my character into this system and what things I can change.

hopeful likes this.
  43. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Early I found that difference between editor and build in my project are tangents (in build no tangents). Now I found that turning on DX11 checkbox in player settings solve my problem with default assets. BUT in empty project with only UMA package imported this behavior not reproducing. I'm confused.

44. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Nice - i found the reason for flying avatars. It dealt with the animation-options. I had to bake the Y-Position.

Here the link where i found it:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/468709/no-gravity-with-mecanim.html

45. UnLogick

UnLogick

Bug Fix: MeshCombiner now handles multiple bindposes on the same bone correctly.

To everyone who have these gaps in their output meshes. Who have custom content that gave incorrect end results, please try the latest git version.

46. Navtej

Navtej

Having a mesh problem in the UMA AVATAR.
    PFA Image

Attached Files:

47. UnLogick

UnLogick

Try getting the latest version from git, it has a bug fix that might help.
    https://github.com/huika/UMA

48. judah4

judah4

so, testing exiting from full screen to windowed but uma doesn't seem to like it.
    redUma.PNG
    This one was an empty project with a slightly older uma version.

tkoUma.PNG
    This one was my main project with a month old uma version.

Any ideas how to fix it or does this require a Uma update?

49. Navtej

Navtej

Not Solved

50. Navtej

Navtej

Yes Please, Use the Latest Version, It has Bug fixes and Improvements.