Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Archania

Archania

Jake, it would be the same thing. You would still access the same code to do it.

2. ecurtz

ecurtz

That might be an issue with the UMA code not correctly marking the editor data as changed. Have you updated to the version 1.2 which was posted in the last few days? Some of the fixes in 1.2 were for the data saving issue.

I don't have any ideas about the freeze though, without any message. In general I've mostly seen it lock up on infinite loops.

3. hopeful

hopeful

If you need an asset that provides a GUI for changing the colors during runtime, inside a scene, then I'm not aware of any free ones. There are a few paid assets in the store that will do that, though.

4. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

UMA Recipe handle that:
    From UMA Recipe Tools at assetStore:
    "
    Edit Recipe Colors directly in the editor
    The inspector also shows all overlay colors so you can easily tweak the recipe!
    "

5. Alk Studios

Alk Studios

Our UMA character creation solution (Here) supports real-time modification of skin, eye, hair and clothing color.

Demo Here

6. divas1980

divas1980

tk for help:),
    i have downloaded the new versione 1.2 and now dont freeze..but there is new error :D :

Exception: Bone not found.
    UMA.UMASkeletonDefault.SetScale (Int32 nameHash, Vector3 scale)
    MaleCartoonDNAConverterBehaviour.UpdateUMAMaleCartoonDNABones (UMA.UMAData umaData, UMA.UMASkeleton skeleton) (at Assets/MaleCartoon_files/DNACoverter/MaleCartoonDNAConverterBehaviour.cs:754)
    UMA.UMAData+UMARecipe.ApplyDNA (UMA.UMAData umaData)
    UMA.UMAData.ApplyDNA ()
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UpdateUMABody (UMA.UMAData umaData)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data)
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate ()
    UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update ()

I premise that i have used the blender with the original skeleton of the UMA_MaleHuman with a new mesh. I have skin the model and then export in fbx..same for separated model.

I hace check slots and the unifed model are sets hips like root bone.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  7. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

This error message suggests there´s a bone missing on the rig or that bone configuration was not fully accomplished when setting prefab/race data.

8. divas1980

divas1980

tk for reply and sorry :rolleyes:
    ..is possibile know which bone is?..
    in play mode in hierarchy there is the clone of the model with some bones.

img3.jpg

9. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Sadly with the DLL it´s harder to debug this area. I would recommend creating an script that compares the two rigs. If you´re using the same rig as the base one, it´s more probable that the problem is on setting up the bones at the race/prefab. Take a look how it´s done on races tutorial again to be sure you´re following all steps.

If you´re using Unity 4.5, you can also try this https://github.com/tlotter/UMA/tree/ReplaceDLL , so you can replace DLL with full source code and debug what is happening with more precision.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  10. Archania

Archania

I got this error this morning after importing the newest version from the asset store:
    MissingReferenceException: The variable meshRenderer of SlotData doesn't exist anymore.
    You probably need to reassign the meshRenderer variable of the 'SlotData' script in the inspector.
    SlotLibrary.UpdateDictionary () (at Assets/UMA/Example/Scripts/SlotLibrary.cs:31)
    SlotLibrary.ValidateDictionary () (at Assets/UMA/Example/Scripts/SlotLibrary.cs:43)
    SlotLibrary.Awake () (at Assets/UMA/Example/Scripts/SlotLibrary.cs:15)

I went through all the SlotLibrary and everyone is associated with the corresponding one so not sure.

11. jrf2574

jrf2574

Hopefully an easy question to answer, and I apologize if this has already been addressed but I can't seem to get transparency to work with hair cards. I have an albido texture with a mask in the alpha channel, alpha is transparency is checked on import. With the material builder I used the TransparentTwoSided material for the material sample. When I generate an avatar it appears with the correct slot and textures, but the alpha is not working and only the UMA base shader material is added as a component. Am I doing something wrong?

12. UnLogick

UnLogick

You need to set the SlotData.textureNameList to match the shader, the number of texture names must match the number of textures on your overlays. TransparentTwoSided should be {"_MainTex"} only I believe.

13. vlames

vlames

Can you integrate Uma into unity 4.6 so that slots and overlays are normal components like lens flares, like you can just drag n drop textures meshes an bumpmaps into it and we won't have to use the confusing material builder?

14. amayyudan

amayyudan

Hi Fernando,
    Thank you very much for this idea, I will definitely check the Jiggle bone functionality, hopefully it contains everything I need. Of course, if I have to implement something additionally in order to reach my goals and the solution works well, I will share my results and the know-how with the UMA community members.
    Best regards,

15. amayyudan

amayyudan

Hi hopeful,

Thanks for this recommendation, I will also consider this option (although Dynamic Bone is not free of charge, but maybe such a low price can be accepted). Anyway, my long-term goal is to simulate the real behavior of the human body, with right elasticity for each body part. The best way, of course, would be utilizing the built-in physics engine, but quick-and-dirty solutions will do at least in the beginning.

Best regards,

16. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

OH MY GAHHHH!!! I upgraded UMA and created a leather jacket today. When I put it into the project it did this!!! Any ideas what caused this? Is the Blender files old or something? Scared the living CRAP out of me!
    Screenshot 2014-08-03 21.12.27.png

17. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Figured it out! Some moron moved the origin away from the feet and that killed it. Yeah... must have been one of my employees, one of hundreds that I have working for me. Yeah. Thank God I was there to fix it for them. :D

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

And I was just about to give you the number of my local exorcist. :)

Glad you got it working, you get immediate feedback when you changing origin of bones with UMA. The only way to attempt to handle this gracefully is to treat the race skeleton as more correct. Something I tried to do in my power tools, unfortunately it turned out to be not quite as easy as it sounds.

19. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Hi Fernando!
    Does UMA now supports Generic avatars (non Humanoid)? We use non standard skeleton and Humanoid avatar broke model.

20. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Imported the new UMA today and would like to thank for all the fixes and additions! One thing that makes my workflow more difficult though: the randomset editor. Many things are easier to debug when knowing the index of a slot. The new editor does not show that anymore. Also, folding is not supported anymore. I now have to count manually until I reach for example slot 19. Is there a way to get the old editor back or to add such features as showing index and folding?

21. UnLogick

UnLogick

The old editor should be accessible from the "debug" inspector. Please file a bug report on github for the missing index problem.
    https://github.com/huika/UMA/issues

22. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yes generic avatars are supported, but this model should continue to use humanoid, goto the mecanim avatar setup scene and press the "uma|export TPose" menu item, use this exported asset with your uma race and uma should work with your humanoid setup.

23. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

I'm sure this has been asked 20 times before but, is there a way to make the clothing models "cloth sims" type of thing? Like flowing robes, etc?

vlames likes this.
  24. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Does humanoid avatar changes skeleton weights?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  25. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

@joen: I don't know what the debug inspector is but I found the way: simply remove the script entry in the inspector and it will show the default editor with all the indexes. Nice! Best of both worlds.

26. UnLogick

UnLogick

Right click on the "inspector" window/tab thingy and it's context menu will show debug inspector... this will disable all custom inspectors and show only raw unity serialization inspectors.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  27. UnLogick

UnLogick

Resizing the arms/legs of an uma character requires us to rebuild the Mecanim Humanoid Avatar, since the needed information isn't available at run-time we need to create a T-Pose asset that will allow us to set up a mecanim avatar at run-time.

Using an incorrect T-Pose asset will produce incorrect results!

28. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

Thanks Fernando, I've sent message to him. Hopefully the package will be made available soon.

29. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

It seems I solve me problems with custom skeleton and now I have all needed assets (models, race, slots, 1 overlay of entire model, T-Pose, RandomSet and Adopted DNA converter). But when I configure demo Crowd scene for my race and press "Generate UMA" unity freezes. I have no idea what go wrong :(. Please help

When debugging with VS Unity not freeze now and have many similar exceptions on console:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    2. UMA.SkinnedMeshCombiner.CombineMeshes (UMA.CombineInstance& target, .CombineInstance[] sources, UnityEngine.Transform rootBone, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap)
    3. UMA.SkinnedMeshCombiner.CombineMeshes (UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer target, .CombineInstance[] sources, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 boneMap)
    4. UMA.UMADefaultMeshCombiner.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas, UMA.UMAData umaData, System.String[] textureNameList, Int32 atlasResolution)
    5. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.UpdateUMAMesh (Boolean updatedAtlas)
    6. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.HandleDirtyUpdate (UMA.UMAData data)
    7. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.OnDirtyUpdate ()
    8. UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update ()
    I replace DLL with source files and continue debugging. Now when I step by step complete first frame when UMA avatar makes, when code exists UMA.UMAGeneratorBuiltin.Update() Uniti freezes.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  30. UnLogick

UnLogick

Please send me a bug report with a demo scene where it works with the normal UMA generator. That makes it so much easier for me to find the problem.

31. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

Not found PM, create conversation

32. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Could u inform me, when it´s available?

33. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Where is the Locomotion-Script attached to the generated character in the UMA Crowd?
    Need to know this, becuse i want to write an own Script, which steers the avatars independent of the character Controler.

And how am I able to create an own RadomSet?
    Is there a tutorial available?

34. hopeful

hopeful

There are a lot of UMA videos on Youtube. I'm not exactly sure where the official starting point is right now, as there have been many videos and many updates over the last year, but this one is probably as good as any for someone just now finding out about UMA.

Also, there is a free UMA Tutorial asset in the store.

35. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

How to split mesh into parts correctly and easier with 3d modeling soft?
    Now I get splitted mesh, that seems normal, but if I place at (0,0,0) cords LeftHand and Torso (with arms) slots, hand mesh will be corrupted.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  36. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

I know how to create or modify the RandomSet before the Update, but know the workflow is changed al little. I wanted to know how i can manage the RandomSets with the Update 1.2

Obviously there is no tutorial available yet.

Additionally, where do i get content respectively created slots like boots and clothes. There is a AL Male Civilian Pack available, but i also need something like that for female, plus differnt hairstyles to guarntee an great variety. I know its able to create them by my own, but i have to concentrate on scripting the crowds behaviour, based on navigationgraphs and predictive collisionmodel.
    Therefore how do i get access to the generated avatars at runtime and in which script the locomotion-script is attached to the avatar? Should i modify that script or write a new one (which i would prefer)?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  37. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Take a look here at ~8 min for the RandomSet:

in which script the locomotion-script is attached to the avatar -> at ~5 min

Cheers

38. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Could you elaborate on "Now I get splitted mesh, that seems normal, but if I place at (0,0,0) cords LeftHand and Torso (with arms) slots, hand mesh will be corrupted." ? Not sure I follow what you´re doing and what you wanted to accomplish.
    What you move to (0,0,0), the bone, or the entire game objects?
    By generated slot, you mean after it´s processed by MaterialBuilder?

39. Prophet6989

Prophet6989

>What you move to (0,0,0), the bone, or the entire game objects?
    GameObjects
    >By generated slot, you mean after it´s processed by MaterialBuilder?
    Yes

Here another exaple. Our 3d modeler fix weight maps on separated model. Now hands seems different, but still corrupted.

mesh generated by materialBuilder

prefab generated by MaterialBuilder

Only hand have this issue.

40. tomi-trescak

tomi-trescak

Dears, how would you rig the beard for UMA? I have created OK looking beard and Now I'm trying to use it with UMA. The problem is that my beard is sticking to the nedk of the avatar. I tried weight painting only with head, but for some reason it is still attaching itself to neck. See image. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 16.26.39.png

41. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hey Tomi

I'm guessing you skipped a step, after changing the beards bone weights to match the entire face you still need to create a new UMA SlotData using the new mesh. UMA copies the data in the mesh and there is no automatic update that will update the SlotData to match your 3d model.

As I said it's a guess...

42. MarcoMeter

MarcoMeter

Hi folks,

could someone give me a hint on how to setup facial animation on a generated UMA avatar?

I know it makes use of bone deformations, so I guess it doesn't support blendshapes, doesn't it?

It would be great if someone could provide a demo or a reasonable approach to start out with facial animation of a UMA avatar. For now I just need to see its capabilities to determine if this fits the need of an academic project of my college.

Thanks in advance.

43. ecurtz

ecurtz

Facial animation using bone deformations works well. Here's a demo of the stuff I've been working on (well haven't been working on, since I've been lazily waiting for 1.2 to be released, but I'm back on it this week and should have an asset version in the next few weeks.) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8494826/ExpressionsTest4/ExpressionsTest4.html

44. Hedonsoft

Hedonsoft

I've retargeted some mecanim animations to UMA but the hands and fingers aren't deforming right, they look twisted. The animations I'm using do have finger bones and the rig is humanoid. What's the secret to getting UMA characters' hands setup correctly?

45. DevionGames

DevionGames

Just wanted to let you know that AI For Mecanim has simple UMA Support. If you require more actions just let me know and i will try to add them.

hopeful likes this.
  46. cookimage

cookimage

47. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Do anybody made Female Content and Asseciores like watches and bags?
    Buyed the AL Male Pack, but for Female there doesnt exist enough content.

48. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

Are u able 2 offer MecanimAnimationFiles for ur facial animation?
    Maybe a lookAt-Animation for the eyes too?

49. hopeful

hopeful

I've not seen any female clothing aside from a few sets of armor available in the store.

The people who did the AL male clothing are currently at work on female clothing.

If I recall correctly, Arteria3d won't be releasing any female clothing till they've finished converting all of their male clothing to UMA.

I'm not aware of anyone working on accessories ... whether for males or females.

50. CrowdCruncher

CrowdCruncher

How long does that take?
    I´ll make Asseccoires by my own and offer them to you for free. Now i´m working on a Cap.

hopeful likes this.