Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

AssetStore link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13930
    List of all UMA Assets Available on AssetStore: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/search/page=1/sortby=relevance/query=uma
    Wiki: http://uma.unity3d.com/wiki/

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar, is an open source avatar creation framework, it provides both base code and example content to create avatars. Using the UMA pack, it´s possible to customize the code and content for your own projects, and share or sell your creations through Unity Asset Store.

With UMA, it´s easy to populate a huge area with random characters, create and customize an unique NPC or even generate main characters with full customization. In all those cases, UMA makes it possible to share content as clothes and accessories between avatars, simplifying the process of content creation.

UMA has been under development for more than a year now, it started as a personal project and after 4 months Unity Asset Store sponsored this project so it could be open source and available for everyone. Joen has been contributing since then, and for the last 6 we started receiving both help and amazing feedback from the beta test group.

Today is December 25, and Unity couldn´t be giving a better present to me and it´s amazing community, UMA is available at AssetStore =)

Cheers,
    Fernando R.

VideoTutorials: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4467t...0kQbp&index=27

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    cren888, Gozdek, Richardm1985 and 2 others like this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Woohoo!

3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Is this for Mechanim? what exactly can we do with it?

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

5. John-G

John-G

Thank you Fernando for giving the community such a fantastic character system.
    Have a fantastic Christmas.

6. UnLogick

UnLogick

7. Whippets

Whippets

Gratz Fernando - great project you've given us, and special mention to Joen and the beta crew for bug fixing, head banging, hair tearing, and frustration in general. Job well done.

8. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Thanks for all the nice words guys =D This is just the beginning, I hope we will see plenty of content for UMA on AssetStore on following weeks.
    Merry Christmas! =D

9. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Why is it free? I know you have a deal with UT, but... Still, something like this should not be free. This stuff is hard to build.
    Well, congratulations! Looks very useful and fun to use it.

10. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there Bruno!
    It´s not only free but open source =D
    This is Unity Asset Store Christmas present for you guys ;) (And mine too)

11. Whippets

Whippets

Heh, free is the only way. If there was a realistic price on UMA, none of us could afford to use it XD

12. Phelioz

Phelioz

Seriously man I love you for giving this away for free, I mean it even open source <3

13. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

You have links to how to create content for this?
    And how are the model on performance? Has any standard models made with this been tested or have any spec's? I would love to see some.

Overall Thank you and Unity.

14. janpec

janpec

Congrats!

15. UnLogick

UnLogick

Thanks.

There is some raw-material and tutorials on content creation at the beta site.
    http://fernandoribeirogames.wix.com/umabeta#!content-creation/c1k7h

Fernando will be making updated tutorials soon(tm), but we put all effort into making the delivery for the holidays.

About performance, I'm working on my "UMA Power Tools" and I can show you this web-player.
    http://glscene.com/unity/UMAPowerPack/AutoLoader4/AutoLoader4.html

There might be some slowdown first time you show a character, that is Unity preparing the meshes and textures it's built from. The entire character is still rebuilt every time it's shown!

Pressing F1 will switch to the Legacy Combiner that is slightly faster, but doesn't handle additional bones. (Like wings and horns.)

Cheers,
    Joen

16. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Wow amazing!
    What animation system does it use? Mechanim or Legacy?

17. UnLogick

UnLogick

Full Mecanim Humanoid support! Avatar is created at Run-Time and will match the proportions of your Character!
    Support for Legacy could be added. But unless someone (new) steps in and makes it, I expect non-humanoid to be supported before Legacy animations. Strictly speaking there is less than 10 lines of code requiring your character to be Mecanim Humanoid.

18. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Fernando, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil? Someday i will pay a chopp for you for this. rsrs. Thanks a lot

19. TopThreat

TopThreat

WOW!!!! Thanks!!! Can this do persistant characters too or just generated?

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

Demo Scene 1, shows the generation of a crowd of completely random characters.
    Demo Scene 2, shows the loading of 5 persistent characters.

You can also notice that each time you load my web player above you get the same characters in the same positions. Once you press Page Up and Page Down their numbers change but the selection of characters stays the same.

If you in Scene 1 select one ore more characters, (the root of the character, not the skinned mesh!), you can use the UMA|Load and Save|Save Selected Avatars (asset) menu item to save those characters into assets and link to them in Scene 2.

21. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hahahaha =D

22. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

I´ll start recording new video tutorials tomorrow on my free time :)
    Those will provide both help for content creators and developers. There had been so many changes from the original video tutorials that I´ll start from beginning :)

23. landon912

landon912

Merry Christmas Fernando! Thanks for the great present :p

24. Venged

Venged

Merry Christmas! Thanks for everything you and UT did to make this happen. I really appreciate it.

25. Ribosome

Ribosome

Hi, glad to see the latest release:), now I know it's easy to change Uma's parts' size and rotation
    But how do I customize character's clothes and their colors easily?

seems troublesome:confused:

26. UnLogick

UnLogick

At the moment there is no smart editors for that, it can only be done through code. Doing so is quite trivial (for a coder).

The reason nobody have written a generic tool for it yet is the lack of meta data associated with the current SlotData(Meshes) and OverlayData(Textures) system in UMA. Meaning that you would have to hard code which Overlays(textures) matches which Slots(meshes), and which order they should be applied in. After all adding a shirt texture under the skin texture is kinda pointless. :)

However such a meta data system is in development in a separate branch and will be added, probably in about a week. After which I expect to see multiple such editors to spring into existence. So in about two weeks I'm fairly certain such an editor will be available at least in a beta version.

27. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Fantastic! This will potentially let also be useful for DX11 Tessellation and LODing our characters for efficiency. Thank you again. Just a great surprise all around this Christmas.

28. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

MIT License !
    Thanks, it is very appreciated.
    -Ippokratis

29. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there guys!
    We´ve just got aware that ConvertRenderTexture on UMAGenerator is breaking Atlas generation when using OpenGL. This will be corrected as soon as possible ;)
    Cheers

30. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I'm getting a number of errors on Import within a Brand New project using the Asset Store version of UMA and the newest version of Unity Free (4.3.2)

UMADnaHumaniod_Generated - Line 22, 37 - Count is marked as an override but no suitable property found to override
    UMADnaHumaniod_Generated - Line 23, 41 - Value is marked...""
    UMADnaHumaniod_Generated - Line 182, 42 - Names is marked...""
    UMAContext - Line 7, 16 RaceLibrary could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
    UMAContext - Line 8, 16 SlotLibrary same as above
    UMAContext - Line 9, 16 OverlayLibrary same as above

31. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

I guess 4th time is a charm. After installing this the 4th time the errors appear to have gone. Although, I don't see a scene like the tutorial video shows.

32. Ribosome

Ribosome

Another question, How do I load a clean avatar I saved?
    currently I am using the UMADynamicAvatar, give it Uma Recipe, and then it ' ll the the avatar at start,
    but there are some unwanted structure, I means every UMA loaded has Rigibody, and collider attached, which I don't want at all
    because I want to controll UMA movement by other scripts and a CharacterController, and also I don't want UMA have any empty parent
    I need a clean one, how to do that? thanks in advance

33. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Good to hear it´s working now.
    About the video tutorial, some of them are 5 months old, so I´m starting recording new video tutorials to help new users.
    The video recording would start today, but I´ll handle a known bug first, and record tomorrow.
    Cheers

34. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    The fast way is to actually remove unwanted components from the prefab at UMA_Assets/Races, but keep in mind some components are necessary. If you remove the capsule collider, you might want to remove it´s update call set at UMACrowd as well. The avatar hierarchy required an extra level to keep dynamicAvatar above the UMAData itself, to easly update avatars. Joen included an extra GO to handle other changes and improvements that will be available on following weeks.

35. Ribosome

Ribosome

Thanks,it actually works , and here is another question, this may be the same with the Changing clothes,
    Will it be easy for me to swap UMA's body parts? Like I don't the a certain face look, I want to replace it with another one

36. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

As Joen wrote before, right now this requires programming knowledge, but it´s actually quite simple. You can both change the actual head mesh, or just it´s textures.
    Cheers

37. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

I think you just go in to blender or the like using the content creation download from beta site. Then just mess with bone weights. There is a video on it. then just use the head, arm, feet etc u made in a slot. I'm holding off for low poly pack but gathered this was the approach...might be wrong.

SIDE QUESTION:
    A list of what bones we can have a script remove after mesh creation would be helpful on optimization end.

38. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there!
    You can both change the mesh based on bone deformation and actually edit it´s vertices creating a new slot, but it´s necessary to access the modified content by code. In example scene Crowd, UMACrowd is responsible to define what Slots and overlays will be used.

This optimization you´re talking about is actually being handled by Joen´s amazing pack, he plans to sell it on AssetStore on following days.
    Cheers =D

39. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there! Just corrected one known bug on avatar serialization. The OpenGL ConvertRenderTexture known bug will be handled tomorrow by Joen.
    Cheers

40. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Cool. Do drop us the link when its up. Joen...any heads up on price so can start saving :)

41. Ribosome

Ribosome

Hi, buddy, when would tutorials about making slots be out . I means, after the Artist colleagues give me those parts,how do I make them as usable Slots
    Looking forward to see tutorials about making UMA from scratch;)

42. UnLogick

UnLogick

Heh, I keep finding new snippets I want to add, so I haven't settled on a price yet. In the beginning it was just the bone baking, but now I've added the auto loader, showing of characters directly while editing and while I'm working on getting Josef's horns and wings to a pack I've found a few more content creation snippets that are nice.

But I'm aiming at cheap, hoping that many will buy. :)

RealSoftGames likes this.
  43. UnLogick

UnLogick

• OpenGL ConvertRenderTexture fix pushed to GitHub
    • Cannot Link for WP8 and Windows Store fix pushed to GitHub - still need testing that it actually works. Pm me if you want to test.

Cheers
    Joen - UnLogick

44. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Fantastic. My characters are all teens will we be able to make more heads and hair styles with your app?

45. UnLogick

UnLogick

Fernando made the existing body parts without my pack, so strictly speaking you do not need my pack! The only thing I do is make pretty windows that let you fill in a few fields and then it will generate the raw asset for you and auto-generate as many fields as possible. But it is perfectly possible to Edit the assets directly in Unity.

Right now I've made snippets to help you set up additional bones which is needed for the wings and horns. That's simply because I'm too lazy to fill out a 50 bone array by hand, and to worried that I'll make a manual mistake.

It may be a good idea to look at the rigging for the existing heads, so your heads supports the same customization. For tutorials and raw base meshes look at the beta site.
    http://fernandoribeirogames.wix.com/umabeta

You should know that Barney G is working closely with the beta group on setting up a system where you can specify which OverlayData(textures) works with what SlotData(meshes). If that system ends up needing a helper tool I'll certainly be making that too.

46. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great. You should also make a thread for your new app with a price vote. You said it would be reasonably priced (yayy) but set a few prices for us and let us tell you what we will pay. And spell out your features so we all understand what you have and a road map for what you will add.

47. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yep, but as I mentioned I'm still adding to it, so it's too early for a poll. :)

48. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Hi there @rocki!
    1. I´ve already made some tests using Skyshop (take a look at image below), but you need to adjust their shadersto access the correct chanels for specular and gloss, as we manage to pack those together with NormalMap texture :) Please take a look at manual for further information.
    2. UMA does not support flash. Joen had worked hard to adjust the project to work with WP8 this week.

boysenberry likes this.
  49. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

Okay Fernando…please tell us all what is on your shoulder in your profile pic. It's driving me crazy! lol

50. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Lol! It´s a mocap suit
    http://www.xsens.com/en/general/mvn

boysenberry likes this.