Search Unity

UMA Power Tools Support (v. 2.9)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnLogick, Jan 7, 2014.

1. RoyS

RoyS

Only have UMA 2 and UMA Power Tools installed with the new version of Unity (v5.1.1f1) and am getting a bunch of error messages associated with Power Tools.

Here are two of several error examples:
    Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/TextureProcessIndieThreadedCoroutine.cs(19,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `BlendAdditiveTextureRectCoroutine' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/UMAGeneratorCoroutineThreaded.cs(15,25): error CS0426: The nested type `MaterialDefinition' does not exist in the type `UMA.UMAData'

2. hopeful

hopeful

Are you getting properly functioning prefab UMAs using the kit? UnLogick has said the "SaveCharacterPrefab" script is supposed to work, but while the prefabs look normal, for me they don't seem to be functioning and can have odd internal characteristics.

3. UnLogick

UnLogick

You're absolutely right the power tools update is long overdue.

I had a mental road map that included uma 2 pbr but I'm a programmer not an artist and all I could produce was programmer art. Power Tools update is moved to the top of the queue and I'll attempt to wrap up the last bits tonight. My primary goal will be to release a functional uma 2 version, but I might cut a few corners and make the bone baking single threaded in order to get it done and then add threading in a secondary update.

The current power tools version was designed for uma 1x and doesn't work properly with uma 2x.

I must admit I never tested thoroughly, I pressed the button and saw that the prefab looked fine in the inspector...

Zephyz123, Dreamaster and Teila like this.
  4. hopeful

hopeful

I suspect there is an uninitialized variable, or something along those lines, because I have on occasion got some very odd results. As noted before, in one case the head and neck bones were located in the chest, while bones in the right and left arms and legs cross attached to each other. But it wasn't consistently like that.

5. radiantboy

radiantboy

When will this work with UMA 2? Im getting lots of errors when I try.

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/TextureProcessIndieThreadedCoroutine.cs(14,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CopyTextureRectCoroutine' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/TextureProcessIndieThreadedCoroutine.cs(15,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CopyAdditiveTextureRectCoroutine' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/TextureProcessIndieThreadedCoroutine.cs(16,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CopyColorizedTextureRectCoroutine' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/TextureProcessIndieThreadedCoroutine.cs(17,13): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `CopyColorizedAdditiveTextureRectCoroutine' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

etc...

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/UMAGeneratorCoroutineThreaded.cs(14,30): error CS0426: The nested type `MaterialDefinition' does not exist in the type `UMA.UMAData'

Assets/UMA/Extensions/UMAPowerTools/Scripts/UMAGeneratorCoroutineThreaded.cs(15,25): error CS0426: The nested type `MaterialDefinition' does not exist in the type `UMA.UMAData'

6. Teila

Teila

Someone posted the exact same question above. ;) No, it doesn't work.

Dreamaster likes this.
  7. radiantboy

radiantboy

Ah sorry :) I just wanted to confirm, Ive been waiting ages to make prefabs from the UMA2 people!... Where is this asset author! Love this tool please fix :-D.....

8. UnLogick

UnLogick

I will, however my day job is keeping me busy, but making a new power tools update is my top priority so hopefully I'll get it wrapped up soon.

marked_one and Teila like this.
  9. radiantboy

radiantboy

Understood, I dont want to rush you, I know exactly what it's like. :)

10. UnLogick

UnLogick

To make it easy on myself I started with the uma 2 bone baking in single threaded, trying to absorb as many improvements from uma 2 as I could. I must admit I'm amazed at the results...

Performance stats on my elderly dev machine (Intel i3)
    UMA 2-Default Mesh Combiner - 11ms
    PowerTools-Bone Baking Mesh Combiner - 13ms

So at the cost of a measly 2ms at character creation time you get the full advantage of bone baking!

I also managed to locate an insane tangent bug in my old code so not only is this a speed improvement it's also a quality improvement.

I'll attempt to wrap up the remaining code during the weekend so I can release it.

11. Teila

Teila

Fantastic, UnLogick! Thank you. :)

Dreamaster likes this.
  12. radiantboy

radiantboy

Yesss! This is going to be great :)))

13. UnLogick

UnLogick

And it's online, now with UMA 2 support. Make sure you grab the latest UMA 2 package (2.0.2) that's also just gone online.

Though for some reason I got a bunch of UMA 2 "standard assets" files mingled into the package... And some even stranger Unity 5 lighting, taking the directional light down to 1.5 seemed to work better. I'll get all of that sorted out next weekend.

Please note this is not a polished release and the tutorials/videos are not updated!

But to see the full power make a standalone build of "Scene102 - lod expressions".

hopeful and ecurtz like this.
  14. hopeful

hopeful

Any idea why the 102 demo scene hesitates a lot, even though the FPS is great?

EDIT: Ah, apparently sometimes I'm holding down the mouse button when I move the character, an old habit from a game I once played. When I release the mouse button the hesitations are almost unnoticeable, even with 300 characters in view.

UPDATE: But I can get an error ...

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UMA.PoseTools.UMAExpressionPlayer.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAExpressionPlayer.cs:111)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  15. UnLogick

UnLogick

Fixing that is trivial but it raises the question how often do you get that error? And more importantly do you also get a similar error on Update at line 76?

If you only see them one at a time in isolated cases simply adding this sanity check around line 93 should do the trick.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.       if (umaData == null || umaData.skeleton == null)
    2.          return;
    If they're spammed by the hundreds then it's a completely different thing.

16. UnLogick

UnLogick

Now this is why I'm completely excited about the new version of the power tools and just had to release it in it's current state. Hundreds of characters running smoothly. :)

But if you really want to see performance then make a standalone build. :)

hopeful likes this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

It seems like I get that error regularly when the body count is above 300. I'll move around in the scene and then the error occurs. So far I think I only get the error once, but I pause on error. I suppose I could switch that setting off and see how many errors I can accumulate ... ;)

18. UnLogick

UnLogick

If it's a once off (once in a while) then it's purely a script execution order thing and the if is a valid hot fix. If it's a repeating error then I truly have to investigate.

19. hopeful

hopeful

Got this error, first time I've seen it: task.vertexBuffer == NULL

Also, once the error I mentioned earlier occurs and the program is not set to pause on error, the errors cascade to 999+ in a few seconds, all that same NullReferenceException.

UPDATE: Once I include the two lines of sanity check code, every pass across the map that I make more and more UMAs disappear. It appears stable for a while with about 8 UMAs, and those UMAs happen to be centrally located in a clump that never goes to LOD 5.

But then eventually that number is reduced to 4, and then the display says there are 4 visible when there are actually no UMAs left on the screen.

20. UnLogick

UnLogick

Hmm, sounds like something bad is happening.

But this only happens when you have hundreds of chars? Could it be that the generator is somehow silently failing such making the expressions stuff go bananas... The generator has the bad workflow that it just retries the next frame which could potentially be very bad if it's repeating the same error.

21. hopeful

hopeful

Well, I know I can get the error to reliably occur if I create 315 UMAs (without the sanity check).

EDIT: If I create 225 UMAs and travel across the map, they start disappearing and don't return. In two passes across the map, I can reduce 225 UMAs to 61.

By the 3rd pass - just going back and forth along the same path - there are 50 UMAs.

After 4 passes, just 39 UMAs remaining.

Then 35.

In this case, with the sanity check in, it seems characters disappear along my path and are accumulating at the poles perpendicular to my path.

22. hopeful

hopeful

For that matter, when running the 101 "simple" scene, I can load 315 UMAs and as I travel to one corner many disappear, and as I head from there to the opposite corner more disappear. It's down to 135 UMAs by the time I reach the second corner.

23. Snownebula

Snownebula

How do you save to string and load from a string?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  24. UnLogick

UnLogick

25. UnLogick

UnLogick

Oh my, that is a bit embarrassing... and no log errors or nothing. I'll take a quick look but it's already past midnight so I'll certainly not release anything even if I manage to fix it.

EDIT 2: It seems sometimes a character slips through the cracks...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  26. UnLogick

UnLogick

I found the two bugs causing the missing characters in the demo.

File: UMALODController.cs (Line: 107) - This is how that while loop is supposed to look (2 changes)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. while (nextLOD != null)
    2. {
    3.     if (distance < nextLOD.leaveRangeSquared)
    4.     {
    5.         nextLOD.Enter(autoLoaderNode.Value);
    6.         break;
    7.     }
    8.     nextLOD = nextLOD.lowerLOD;
    9. }
    Apart from that it seems characters demoted to the "OutOfRange" list is never being revived. That's probably going to require some actual code. :)

hopeful likes this.
  27. UnLogick

UnLogick

And done, even added a few basic teleporters to triple test massive changes. :)

28. UnLogick

UnLogick

Yeah I know a measly 11.95 FPS what is there to brag about?
    Layer 0-1 have full expression animations. (That's 45 chars!)
    There is a total of 743 generated characters at various LOD levels.
    260 of those characters is actually being rendered in this view direction.

Dreamaster, hopeful and Teila like this.
  29. UnLogick

UnLogick

Alright updated the Power Tools package with all them fixes and even some fixes I didn't know... in the picture above the Troll head is actually too small according to the recipe! I found the error with this new scene "Scene103 - LOD" showing the results of LOD up close.

Suddenly I could see how the head popped in size, turns out the big head was the correct one. :D

The bug was only visible when the Expressions was playing, so at a further LOD the head popped to it's correct size. UMA 2 had an almost identical bug that was also fixed. So do grab the latest UMA 2 as well.

hopeful and adventurefan like this.
  30. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Hi, on asset store page it mentions some glitches when creating prefabs.
    I cant see mention of it on the thread in the forum though, can i still use power tools to make UMA work with things like UFPS? Cheers

P.s. thank you so much for this asset!

31. UnLogick

UnLogick

@siblingrivalry, the only problem with prefabs is that when you select a character and say build prefab, that character instance in your scene is left in a bad state where some of the objects now belongs to the prefab and not the scene.

As soon as you leave play mode this bad state is being discarded by unity so it's not a serious issue.

32. Urbanwarfare-Std

Urbanwarfare-Std

Hi UniLogic,

Thanks for updating the PT to work with UMA2 - I am having some similar issues to the errors above, I've updated both UMA2 and the powertools and I get the following:

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(23,41): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `boneHashList' and no extension method `boneHashList' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(26,41): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `tempBoneData' and no extension method `tempBoneData' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(40,29): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `boneHashList' and no extension method `boneHashList' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(42,49): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `tempBoneData' and no extension method `tempBoneData' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(44,35): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `boneHashList' and no extension method `boneHashList' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(61,50): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `animatedBones' and no extension method `animatedBones' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(63,67): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `animatedBones' and no extension method `animatedBones' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Assets/Standard Assets/UMA/Core/Scripts/UMAProcessBones.cs(72,49): error CS1061: Type `UMA.UMAData' does not contain a definition for `animatedBones' and no extension method `animatedBones' of type `UMA.UMAData' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Any idea what I need to fix?

33. UnLogick

UnLogick

As the location of that file indicates the problem originates in UMA/Core. This particular file was removed from UMA as part of the latest update, however it seems the asset store downloader doesn't check the delta and remove this file on update.

It is entirely safe to delete the UMAProcessBones.cs file it is not being used by UMA anymore!

If ever we delete another file from uma I guarantee we'll leave an empty file stub in it's place so the asset store will correctly delete the faulty code.

34. hopeful

hopeful

Prefabs still aren't working, right? I clicked on a UMA from UMACrowd, saved to Assets as a prefab, and while he appears to be functioning (he does the idle animation), his material seems off.

@UnLogick, can you give it a quick check?

35. UnLogick

UnLogick

Looks spot on to me.

Red shirt was generated from the inspector.

Blue shirt was generated from the menu.

And here are the prefabs in an empty non uma scene.

How are you trying to use it? Do you see any errors in the log or something?

36. hopeful

hopeful

No errors in the log, but I guess I must be doing something wrong, because they keep coming out with some kind of lighting error ... looking a bit toasty.

What I'm doing is I start the UMACrowd scene, get my crowd generated. Then I switch over to Scene mode and select an UMA from the front row. Then I go up to UMA > Power Tools > Save Character Prefabs, and when I click that and save to a folder under Assets, immediately the character I clicked on in the scene suffers a material change, going dark. Hair, skin, clothes ... all dark.

This dark coloration remains in the prefab. I could post a picture if you want, but basically just imagine hair, skin, clothes all going significantly darker, or even black.

BTW, I'm using the latest UMA2 and Power Tools, and U5.1.0f3.

EDIT: Whites of the eyes are still white and teeth are still white, and red lips on one model appear bright red.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  37. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, let's get a few things sorted out.

1. Do you have the latest versions? I updated power tools and uma 2 last friday.
    2. Do you have mac or pc?
    3. What version of Unity?
    4. Please add the prefab to a scene and post a screenshot that includes the inspector like I did in my last post.
    5. I'd also like a similar screenshot of the child object like this:

38. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. I don't know what was causing the problem, but I opened a new project and imported and everything seems to be fine.

My previous project was nearly empty, only holding UMA, PT, and some Secret Anorak tutorial files.

I have no idea what was causing the problem, but in the new project my characters no longer look overcooked when I make prefabs.

I had cleared out an older UMA version and Power Tools when updating (the ones previous to Friday), so maybe there was something old remaining there.

UnLogick likes this.
  39. hopeful

hopeful

Hmm. After clearing everything out of the old Secret Anorak tutorial project, except for a folder for SA stuff, and reimporting, I still get darkened prefabs.

I guess I will delete the SA stuff and see what happens.

UPDATE: Deleted all the SA stuff, leaving only UMA and PT, and I still get darkened prefabs. How strange!

UPDATE: Okay, I cleared out every single asset in the project, reimported UMA and PT, exited Unity, re-opened it, and ran UMACrowd and saved a prefab ... and it was darkened!

There must be something else going on ...? But what is very curious is that in the running scene the character goes dark as soon as the prefab is made.

40. UnLogick

UnLogick

@hopeful, also try to delete the project's library folder such forcing Unity to throw away any old cached data and re-import cleanly.

41. hopeful

hopeful

To recap: in a new project, the prefabs save fine. I tested this under both forward / gamma and deferred / linear.

In my slightly older project, where I was running the SA tutorials, the prefabs go dark when saved, even when every single asset has been removed and UMA2 and PT are reimported. The character turns dark in the scene when it is made into a prefab, and the prefab is also dark.

1) Latest versions of UMA2 and Power Tools.
    2) Windows 8.1
    3) Unity 5.1.0f3

UMA2 crowd scene with character selected:

And how character looks (scene still running) after prefab has been made:

Which is what the character looks like as a prefab, too.

42. hopeful

hopeful

Ah! Okay.

UPDATE: Deleted the library, restarted, and the prefabs still come out darkened.

43. hopeful

hopeful

Here's an interesting wrinkle. When I turn my project from deferred / linear to forward / gamma, new prefabs save fine.

But when I go back to deferred / linear any prefabs I make are "burnt" again.

UPDATE: The "burnt" quality clearly relates to linear lighting. If I switch to forward / gamma or deferred / gamma, the prefabs look fine. But if run on deferred / linear or forward / linear, the prefabs get burnt.

In the new project, I tested under both forward / gamma and deferred / linear, and prefabs saved correctly.

UPDATE 2: Now when I go to the new project and create a prefab under deferred / linear, the prefab is burnt! Prefabs made under forward / gamma are fine.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  44. UnLogick

UnLogick

Unity has a lot of gamma vs linear color space oddities.

It gave me endless grief when I worked with the pbr demo, in the end we concluded that making every thing cleanly in linear was the only way to achieve consistent results across mac and windows.

However the legacy shader never worked correctly with linear lighting, my avatars looks like your prefabs when I run the crowd scene in linear. So this is a shader/asset problem not a power tools problem.

45. hopeful

hopeful

I'm trying to parse this, from my limited understanding of all things Unity.

On a practical level, does it mean that those who want to make UMA prefabs should temporarily switch to forward / gamma in order to make the prefab, and then they can run their game in deferred / linear and the prefab will work properly ....?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  46. UnLogick

UnLogick

Let's separate the two things:

Forward/deferred is ways handle light/shadow, the uma legacy shader works with both.

Linear/Gamma is ways to handle color intensities, the uma legacy shader have problems with Linear.

As long as you use the uma legacy shader you cannot expect good results in the Linear color space. UMA itself have no problems with linear color space, it's only the legacy content that was default with uma 1.x. With a little processing the normal maps of legacy content could be converted into something any shader can work with such getting good results with another shader.

47. hopeful

hopeful

I guess my ignorance is showing. I understand that the problem is with linear mode, but I don't know why.

The use of shaders in UMA is the darkest spot in the system to me, without a doubt. I would like to customize in that area, say to use a store bought toon shader or whatever, but I haven't a clue as to how to do it.

48. UnLogick

UnLogick

Actually I just realised what is causing the problem. With the legacy shader the normals are not marked as normals and that means they're being combined into the atlas with linear which is incorrect. It should be possible to make the UMAMaterial and the atlassing code to force the normals to be combined in gamma space.

hopeful likes this.
  49. Teila

Teila

So, getting ready to dive into UMA and Power Tools again but confused by the linear vs. gamma conversation. I use deferred linear in my project. Should I switch to gamma to make my prefabs? If I do, will I be able to use them in my project? You mentioned the shaders...are there pbr standard shaders available for UMA now? If so, can't we just use those?

50. UnLogick

UnLogick

The only reason Eli and me haven't released a pack for uma 2 is because we're not artists and what we ended up with looked distinctly as programmer art.

The Legacy content was designed for the legacy shader, but if you look at Fernando's git account you'll find another repo with all the pbr textures you need to set up the base content with pbr.