Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Rock Crawler [Steam released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos85, Oct 22, 2015.

1. khos85

khos85

Game: Ultimate Rock Crawler
    Platforms PC, Mac, Linux

Great news to share, Ultimate Rock Crawler is now available for you to download and play, check it out at http://store.steampowered.com/app/400880/ , I hope you enjoy it and conquer those rocks :)

Early Alpha Gameplay video:

Screenshots of only a small part of game:
    1d.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 22.jpg Untitled.jpg

Description:
    Ultimate Rock Crawler lets you become an instant Off Road Rock Crawling Champion.
    Rock crawling is an extreme form of off road driving using modified vehicles to overcome obstacles. Drivers drive four-wheel-drive vehicles over very harsh terrain. Driving locations include boulders, mountain foothills, rock piles, mountain trails. Rock crawling is about slow-speed, careful and precise driving, through large gear reductions in the vehicles drive train. Rock crawlers often drive up, down and across obstacles that would appear impassable.
    Just like in real life this game lets you choose different routes that are of varying difficulty, Red or Yellow Routes. The faster you complete the route you choose the better, and uniquely the lower score is the best score. It will take much skill and practice, careful use of steering and accelerator to complete courses to achieve a best score in this open world off road game.

Features such as in car cameras, winch, lots of rocks to crawl over, different body designs, realistic physics and graphics, unique and challenging locations sets this game apart. Complete easy or difficult routes.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Is there going to be a more realistic and accurate suspension? I think those visuals together with the physics will matter the most :)

It seems you are parenting the camera directly to the car. I think it would look better, doing this by code and lerping the follow-movement a little

3. khos85

khos85

Hi, thanks for looking :)
    Yes, I'm working on better articulation and lots other details like diff lock/2/4wd, in game/car radio and a ton of other stuff, to get all the "crawler" type features I dream of :)
    I've got a version of mouse orbit and smooth follow scripts on the camera, what do you think, will that be ok, or maybe smooth the movement a bit more perhaps?

4. khos85

khos85

P.S. do you think the visuals are good quality?

5. khos85

khos85

I've been updating this lots, cars have much more articulation (if upgraded via the garage), real-time simulated coil spring suspension links , independent suspension arms, 4wd/2wd/difflock, adjustable suspension height, tire sizes, tire tracks, nicer scene improvements,making lots more maps to play in, progressive damage and dirt, head/brake lights, upgrades like very low/high gearbox, engine upgrade, choose petrol or diesel, progressive repairs needed, body colouring, performance optimisations ( aka 60fps possible :0 ) , driver and steering wheel arm anims..

two closeups to show dynamic suspension springs:

Still lots to do, I'd appreciate your views or comments on this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  6. khos85

khos85

Adding additional features including under the hood servicing options in the Garage scene:

Also adding open top Crawler option for those sunny days:

How about flashing your headlights at objects with a extra powerful highbeam mode (normal and highbeam mode headlights):

Comments / ideas on what to add here are welcome.

7. khos85

khos85

Added Level editor, so you can make your own Rock Crawling courses
    Quick Test:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  8. khos85

khos85

Putting together a new video:

Added some more images:

Working on Car dashboard:

Feedback / Comments welcome :)

9. khos85

khos85

Adding more options such as option to upgrade to different tire types (each type as different grip/slip settings), also other options such engine intake , other objects such as logs, old wrecks in scenes , created roll cage on alternate crawler body.

Updated Garage view:

Comments, if any, would be most welcome.

10. khos85

khos85

I'm getting closer to releasing this game, I'm looking one or two beta testers, who would be interested to test the game? Send me a message on Steam if possible

As a marketing type idea: When the game is released (hopefully in a few weeks!) I plan on running a in game competition where a few people can win prizes (prizes will RC Rock Crawlers whohoo :)), I can't give details of the competition yet, but it'll be cool I reckon as you can win some nifty prizes..

Hopefully you like the sound of this, I welcome you to share it with friends who might be interested in this.

11. khos85

khos85

12. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Wish you all the best, also in terms of sales. Looks lovely and well done!

13. khos85

khos85

Many thanks for your comment and well wishes, I hope at least a few people get to enjoy my creation, all thanks to the cool game engine UNITY of course (v4.6 is used)!