Search Unity

Ultimate Fracturing Destruction editor extension for Unity 3D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UGTools, May 30, 2013.

1. UGTools

UGTools

Hi guys! wow, I missed these last posts. Before the replies:
    Unity 5 compatible version has been submitted and should be available soon! :)

2. UGTools

UGTools

Windows 8 yes, windows phone untested but should be compatible as well.

3. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Spaceray!

Yes! in fact a Unity 5 compatible version has just been submitted. We are working on a new fracturing system with primary and secondary fracturing and we will keep updates and features coming!
    Also we have a list of user requested features that we also consider :)

Yes! this is on top of our requests as I said :)

It works well with newer devices. We don't use platform-specific features so that we can use all Unity target platforms.
    There have been many mobile projects that did use the extension and so far everybody is very happy with it.

This is also one of the features we are working on. Broken+resting pieces will be converted to static so that no physics are computed and they can be merged ins single drawcalls.
    Right now physics will be computed until they go to sleep, but if they get hit again they will wake up. Also, they can benefit from dynamic object batching to reduce drawcalls but due to limitations (number of vertices, shadows, vertex attributes) this isn't always the case.

Yes. In theory you could do it at runtime but our current tools are intended for pre-fracturing.

No, as long as the mesh is watertight you can break any mesh. It may have holes, be concave/convex, it doesn't matter.

You can use any material you want, exterior mapping will be kept and interior faces will be generated procedurally. But you can use any material and shader, there is no limitation.
    And yes, you could change the original material once broken.

Objects are pre-fractured, so the runtime properties of the impact would not affect size/topology, only the way the already existing pieces break.

Size will matter, as bigger size will mean interaction with more chunks = more breaks. Once broken interaction will be exactly the same as a normal Unity rigidbody+rigidbody collision.

Yes, as long as the shard's mass and velocity are over the thresholds you set up on your glass fracturing properties.

Hoipe that answers your questions! if you need some additional info don't hesitate to contact me :)

4. UGTools

UGTools

Yes! updates will come, don't worry, I am constantly working on the extensions :)
    Right now I have two other plugins ready to be released plus a pack, and they have taken most of my time the last months.
    Also the testing and updates for Unity 5 :)

On top of the new features are:

-Secondary fracturing, so that you will be able to break an object into bigger chunks, which on ground impact could break into smaller pieces.
    -Optimizations, mostly regarding broken chunks. These will be made static if some requirements are met and also hopefully be grouped into one single drawcall. This will mean a huge performance difference :)

5. cg_destro

cg_destro

cool, waiting for new version :)

Cool_Flow and julianr like this.
  6. SpectreCular

SpectreCular

Is the Unity 5 compatible version available yet?

Also, for whatever reason, I keep running into an issue where I believe the initial velocity of impacted chunks become WAY too large (or perhaps they're just automatically being destroyed?) after just a few short frames beyond using chunk.Impact()...

In an attempt to control this behavior, I've tried tweaking every setting I could find, including adding a couple of support planes to the Fractured Object... But in Play mode it looks as if no matter what I do, all collided chunks instantaneously disappear upon impact. What could cause this, and how can I fix it?

EDIT:
    I can now confirm that it is, in fact, a physics-related issue, and that the chunks are not being removed from the scene sooner than expected. I tested this theory by making a large interior scene (to be sure that nothing can fly too far away), and ran the fracture script on a large brick wall in the middle of the room...

It would appear that the initial velocity given to these chunks are forcing them to go 100% batshit crazy, and happens even more-so when there are a large number of chunks touching eachother & awaiting impact in a static Fractured Object. With a very minimal number of adjacent chunks, this superman-strength explosion is much lower, but is still FAR higher than it should be. What can I do to lower this effect?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  7. UGTools

UGTools

Hurray! The Unity 5 compatible version has been approved! Go get it :)

8. UGTools

UGTools

I have experienced this sometimes when the chunk colliders are initially intersecting each other. When a detach event occurs, and the chunks switch to dynamic mode, this initial overlap makes them go berzerk. Can you post a screenshot with the chunks selected so that I can take a look at the colliders?

9. SpectreCular

SpectreCular

I was just in the process of recording a video for you, when I accidentally left the "Preview Chunks" slider to 0.01, which appears to have fixed the issue in-game. So with that said, I'm pretty sure that your assumptions are correct, but if you'd still like a screenshot/video, I'd be happy to comply.

10. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Hey! Quick question: are the fractured objects individual rigidbodies?

I'm asking because I'd like to add a component (script) to each and every piece after a fracture. Is that possible?

11. UGTools

UGTools

Yes they are, you can add a script after a fracture to each chunk very easily :)

LazloBonin likes this.
  12. oneaperture

oneaperture

Hi, i'm wondering if the engine support backface culling walls as the walls only renders if we are positioned in front of them.

Thank you so much.

13. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hey

Thanks for the Unity 5 update :)

Small fix required here around line 1621 in Fracture.cs:

replace this:

newGameObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().castShadows = gameObjectIn.GetComponent<Renderer>().castShadows;

with this:

newGameObject.gameObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().shadowCastingMode = gameObjectIn.GetComponent<Renderer>().shadowCastingMode;

N

14. xianguru

xianguru

Having an issue with the fracturing Plugin for Unity 5. Some chunks are floating when chunks underneath have been destroyed. not sure if i am being dumb or if this is a bug. here is a picture.

15. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

I am seeing this error when fracturing a mesh after clicking ComputeChunks:

Failed getting triangles. Submesh 1 has no indices.
    UnityEngine.Transform:set_localPosition(Vector3)
    FracturedChunk:UpdatePreviewDecompositionPosition() (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/Fracturing/Scripts/FracturedChunk.cs:382)
    FracturedObjectEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/Ultimate Game Tools/Fracturing/Editor/FracturedObjectEditor.cs:823)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Any ideas on what I can do to fix it?

thanks

Nalin

16. UGTools

UGTools

Hi there!

Could you post me a screenshot of your model?

17. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

My screenshot is attached, however I did manage to get it to fracture by messing around with some of the parameters (also attached), particularly with Min Collider Volume which I had to increase.

At the moment I seem to have more luck with BSP rather than Voronoi which also seems to crash Unity5! but overall it seems to be a more of a hit and miss affair when I try to get these spaceships to break up :(

Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 09.27.24.png Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 09.29.50.png

18. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Puzzlekings!

Is that mesh watertight? It needs to have "volume" for the algorithm to work 100% correct. Those flaps or some other parts could cause issues if they are only planes :)

19. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks,

The mesh seems ok and as I said I managed to get it working to a degree as it has broken up into 6 pieces which is acceptable.

I have had other problems with spaceships such as the player spaceship in the Unity Shooter in this asset:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13866

Do you have any suggestions for how to use this tool with these types of meshes?

N

BTW is there any way of getting the tool to simply break up an object into its component sub-meshes if it is constructed that in such a manner?

20. UGTools

UGTools

Can you post a screenshot of the issues?

Regarding your question, to break it up that way I would use the included Mesh Combiner tool to combine all meshes, then use the result single gameobject as input to a fracturable object.
    If you specify 0 chunks and have mesh island generation checked, I think it should give you that result :)

Arkade likes this.
  21. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Screenshot attached: FractureProblem.png

Regarding the other point - yes I used mesh combiner and then fractured the result. I guess what I wondered was whether there could be an option other than BSP/Voronoi called "SubMesh" which simply took in a compound object and added the fracture chunk scripts and everything else into it so that it could collapse regularly in a defined manner?

Cheers

Nalin

22. mikezenox

mikezenox

So I skimmed through the thread and all the changelogs I could find and only saw a "maybe" concerning skinned-mesh support. Does this contain skinned-mesh support yet? That's the only thing keeping me from purchasing.

23. UGTools

UGTools

Hi puzzlekings,

It's difficult to see from the screenshot. Would you mind sending me the fbx to info@ultimategametools.com?
    Thanks!

24. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi

I just sent you a Unity Package with a prefab

cheers

Nalin

25. autowash

autowash

Hi!

I'm considering buying this package, but I have a question...

I specifically want to calculate and return individual voronoi cells for a supplied (concave) mesh, and supplied voronoi points. As far as I can tell from the description this should be possible, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

26. UGTools

UGTools

Hi puzzlekings,

It seems the mesh isn't completely watertight. There are some empty meshes that are being generated that have 0 vertices and the tool is trying to build a collider for them. I will take this special case into account and uploaded a fix.
    It will work without it, it will just bug you through the console :)

27. UGTools

UGTools

Yes and no. Internally the voronoi fracturing algorithm does something like that, but it would take some effort to isolate the code and do it.

28. GBCFraser

GBCFraser

Hi UG,
    I am trying to add concave colliders to the fracturing tool. I just got your concave colliders tool and imported them. Using Unity 5.0.1f1, I should be able to use your concave tool right in the chunk generator. But it says "Concave collider not found". How do I get it to find the concave extension?

IMG:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/txhyh7e846ihr6q/evidencePNG.png?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  29. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

That's awesome.

Thank you!

Nalin

30. UGTools

UGTools

Hi GBCFraser,

Now that you say it, I haven't tested the integration of CC with UFD on Unity 5. I'll take a look at it :)

31. GBCFraser

GBCFraser

Would appreciate it thanks.

32. UGTools

UGTools

Hi GBCFraser,

I will upload a version to the asset store fixing this. Meanwhile you can edit line 650 of FracturedObjectEditor.cs.

Change
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(System.IO.File.Exists("Assets/Plugins/ConvexDecompositionDll.dll") == false)
    to
    Code (csharp):
    2. if(System.IO.File.Exists("Assets/Plugins/x86_64/ConvexDecompositionDll.dll") == false)
    That should fix it

33. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@UGTools

Any idea when the new update will be live at all, with the mesh fix you mentioned last week?

cheers

Nalin

34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hiya, interested but:

upload_2015-5-6_13-42-8.png

also, is it a requirement to buy the collider tool?

35. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Hello- I'm interested in buying this asset- I am a Playmaker user so I'm interested in the Playmaker integration- Could you list the Playmaker actions that are included or describe the workflow using this asset with Playmaker? Thank you!

36. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Nalin,

Sorry, I just finished submitting updated versions of the other 2 assets. I will take this weekend to fix the issues we talked about :)

37. UGTools

UGTools

38. UGTools

UGTools

Hello there!

I will take this weekend as well to redo the PlayMaker actions. At some point in time I forgot to add them to the package and now they seem to be lost :)
    No worries, they shouldn't take that much time to code. I will provide actions to explode, collapse and simulate impacts. Basically all that the asset allows to do by scripting.

hopeful likes this.
  39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Ah I see well the screenshot is from your demo which perhaps needs addressing as it gives a very poor view of the asset's quality if a bunch errors pop up :)

The FAQ mentions that a 3rd party capping library will often make unity crash, and I should choose another seed. This is the reason I cannot go with your library. I need something that won't crash a million PS4s if we didn't notice it happen during development. Basically if something bad can potentially happen, we have to assume it will happen.

If this system becomes bullet proof count me in!

40. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to purchasing it- thank you

41. Jimww

Jimww

Hi,
    I need to break up an object's surface area, equally into x number of clickable objects, with the x only being available at runtime. Can this asset do that? I was researching implementations of the Voronoi Diagrams and came across this asset, so I'm hoping..

42. UGTools

UGTools

Yep! I've been working on it during the weekend. Should be available soon :)

43. UGTools

UGTools

Not at runtime I'm afraid. Probably at some point if I have enough time I will try to make a realtime implementation but it will take quite some effort...

44. dariusbode

dariusbode

I have two questions about this promising toolset.

How exactly are physics being calculated? With Unity internal physics oder something else?

Is there a way to get and set information from active chunks during runtime? I would need a count of currently active chunks and the possibility to delete these...

45. UGTools

UGTools

Hi Darius,

Physics are calculated using Unity. This is a good thing because
    a) It integrates well with all other physical elements
    b) In Unity 5 the physics system (PhysX) has been upgraded and now it performs way faster using new algorithms and true multithreading support.

And yes, you can track active chunks and delete them through scripting :)

46. UGTools

UGTools

Hi guys! Any of you who got the "Failed getting triangles, submesh i has no indices" could send me an e-mail to test the new version before I send it to the store? Thanks a lot!

47. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

48. UGTools

UGTools

Sent! hope it fixes it

49. blake_seow

blake_seow

Hi,
    I brought the tool and using it for my Unity5 projects. It's really really awesome!
    I'm testing the performance so I could decide if I could use it for my whole City (PC game). So I simply open "02 Sample Scene - Exploding Floor", and duplicate the floor object into 16 and lay them around. But when I running it in the editor, I found the frame rate dropped to 8~15 FPS (My hardware is strong enough). I'm not sure if I did it in the wrong way or is there any trick to improve the performance?
    I'm thinking is there a way to hide the chunks and show the original mesh insteaded before the first contact?

Thanx for your great tool!

50. blake_seow

blake_seow

After build, it runs better, but still around 30fps.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      501.4 KB
      Views: