Search Unity

uGui multitouch Win7 not supported ??

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by MS80, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MS80

MS80

I really like the new uGui system, but it seems that multitouch on windows7 platform is not supported!?
    The gui system seems to interpret the multitouch input as mouse input, so only the first touch gets recognized!

On android platforms it works out of the box, multiple touch inputs just work! I dont know if win8 multitouch is supported, but i suppose not...

Whats the difficulty with win7 multitouch support for gui-elements? I know there are multitouch frameworks out there, but to combine those with the gui system looks just too complicated...

Is there any possiblity to make uGui work with Win7 multitouch? Maybe someone already has got it to work / made some progress !?!

Thanks in advance!

2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

HI, could you please raise a bug.

3. MS80

MS80

Hi, I would not assume this as a bug, it's too bad it is not supported on win7!

The UI demo scenes (f.e menu 3d, drag and drop) are working out of the box with multitouch on mobile device (tested on android with 4 fingers), multiple drags / clicks / enter etc. at the same time are no problem.
    If I want to make use of a multitouch device (PQLabs Touch overlay, Acer dual touch screen, Surface etc) running on win7 as a standalone this does not work, only the first touch input can interact with the ui (as it gets recognized as windows mouse cursor), additional touch inputs are ignored!

It would be awesome if the new UI system would support multitouch on Win7 / Win8 out of the box,too!!
    Is there a chance to edit the eventsystem to support win7 touch as well??

Kogar likes this.
  4. bdovaz

bdovaz

In Unity all related to Input touch API doesn't work in Windows 7/Windows 8.

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Input.html

If you do a "Input.touchCount" in Windows it will not return the appropiate touchCount.

We need alway to use TouchScript package but it doesn't have an integration with uGUI.

5. MS80

MS80

Thanks, you affirmed what I could not believe! :(

I use TouchScript, too! It is great, but as you said: no gui integration

Please, dear Unity team, could you make this happen for the upcoming versions?? We have multitouch on all mobile devices, whats the problem with win 7 / 8? If you look into the feedback sections, there are very old requests with over 200 votes, exactly asking for this, win7 multitouch support (http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/windows-7-multitouch-support) (http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/2814--support-touch-events-on-windows-).

6. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Is this still the case now that 4.6 has been released? I need to build a Win7 multitouch project, but don't have hardware to test on yet. Would be great if I could use the new uGUI

7. MS80

MS80

Bump!
    Any news??

bug report 09/2014: 632719

8. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Funnily enough, I was just looking into this. I've come up with a couple of options, one which I'm trying, one which is a bit beyond my skill set - but someone else might have more luck.

Option 1: This thread details an input module that 'sort of' works with TouchScript. I'm trying to improve it at the moment.

Option 2: My other thought was to use the Win7 Touch Input code that Valyard created for TouchScript and try to create an input module for uGUI.

Option 2 would probably be a bit more robust, but then you lose out on the other features of Touchscript.

I'll update if I make any more progress.

9. MS80

MS80

Thanks emsee. Indeed this is a good starting point! Let me know if you make any progress!

10. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

MS80 likes this.
  11. MS80

MS80

That's much more than a good start, its more like 90%! ;) Thanks for this!
    Let me know if you need some hardware tests, have some multitouch devices available here (Acer, PQLab).

12. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Some hardware tests would be great!

I've tested a lot of uGUI widgets and canvas settings, but not all the combinations. It seems to work for WorldSpace, ScreenSpace Camera and ScreenSpace Overlay - although the BoxCollider2d trick only works in WorldSpace mode.

What I'm most happy about is that it works with all the available Touchscript inputs (TUIO, Win7, Win8 etc).

It would be good to document anything that is still not possible.

13. MS80

MS80

14. highlyinteractive

highlyinteractive

Awesome :)

I guess we should keep it all in the TouchScript forum - it might help Valyard with an official TouchScript release.