Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uFrame 1.0 is almost here!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Michael_invertgamestudios, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Michael_invertgamestudios

Michael_invertgamestudios

We are only hours away before the release of uFrame 1.0, stayed tuned.:D

2. Michael_invertgamestudios

3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So i am more a designer and do not understand what MVC and MVVM is and also just understand a little about programming just learning it more and more often by reuse and changing code i have in bought assets from the store.
    So will this help me too?
    I like the part that i do something like a plan and can work more on little things step by step and do not have to have the whole program in my mind.

What is important to me is that i can use other assets from the store too like i.e. the prime31 things to bring in more features to my game like in app purchasing or for example, all of the sectr assets for level streamin or others assets for level of detail things and touch functionality for mobiles.
    Can i use them together with this and can you please also provide a video with little examples for us non programmers on how to make them working?

I saw that your assets make a great part of the code but in one video i hear or read that the code i fill into by hand maybe deleted later when your asset have to generate the code again. That is also the reason i ask if this can work with other unity assets to.

I now will watch all the other videos from you and then try to read more on your sites to understand it more because i have the feeling this can help me.
    I am just not 100% certain.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#publisher/270

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#publisher/6087

Edit:
    Can this work also together with playmaker, uscript, antares or things like plygame?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  4. Michael_invertgamestudios

5. micahoz123

micahoz123

Hey!
    Sorry if the video made it sound like files would be deleted but just to be clear. When you save the diagram it generates two types of files

Designer Files: These files are maintained by the editor and will be re-generated upon save.
    Editable Files (Created only when it doesn't exist already): These files allow you to extend directly upon whats inside the designer files. These files will not be deleted when saving the diagram. This is done by partial classes which is a programming feature which allows you to split the same thing into two separate files.

This asset is more of a design model to structure how you're game is developed it doesn't limit you by any means as to what assets currently in the asset store can work with it. Absolutely anything can. Playmaker and uscript can definitely co exist nicely with this product. And i'll produce an example that demonstrates this. The included uBehaviours system is built more for designers and allows you to create your own components from the convenience of the inspector. We are going to sell this product as well separately. but for now it's only with uFrame.

As for plyGame i feel like this would be overhall because it want's you to describe things similarly to how you define elements and is geared towards a specefic genre of game ( maybe i'm wrong i'm sure its an amazing product as well ). I've never used it so i can't full speak to what it can or can't do with uFrame.

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Thank you for your fast answer.
    You have a new customer :)

7. micahoz123

micahoz123

Awesome! Thank you so much! Let me know if you run into any issues! Hopefully the 10 tutorials that are on our website is plenty to get you moving in the right direction thought :) And there will be many more to come in the next few weeks!

8. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Sorry, I was probably using the wrong wording there. What I mean is, I'm trying to grasp where data-loading would fit into this framework when it's coming from files. For example, we load enemies, items, and special settings for the game all from XML such as the health of enemies, whether or not they have a shield, their ai routines, etc. At the moment various regular, non-monobehavior, classes handle loading the data and creating objects with them when needed. When they're ready to be spawned in, they're referenced by monobehaviors to handle the visual pieces, including the prefab and any associated GUI elements.

I also want to make sure the system really scales well with larger games where we need a lot of control and readable generated code. We're tried some systems that are node-based for visual programming, and we've run into issues like 1) the graphs being awkward to use when we wanted to do something more complicated (e.g. needing a lot of nodes, where the same behavior could've been accomplished with 1-2 lines of code), or 2) the generated code being really hard to follow and extend.

9. Michael_invertgamestudios

Looking at about 9hrs left of the sale guys and gals, thanks for all the amazing emails and questions so far, keep them coming.

$Screen Shot 2014-04-28 at 3.47.20 AM.png

10. braaad

braaad

Regarding loading files, yeah it's great at this, that's where the controllers come in. It sounds to me like you already have a system working so it should just be a matter of adding your existing file reading code and putting it in a controller for the respective element. Then, when a new element is requested from a view the controller will read in the appropriate data, create the element and send it on it's way. This can be done on scene load, lazy loaded, or however you want really. Same goes for saving, but in reverse. I am actually in the process of doing this myself, but with JSON rather than XML.

Regarding the visual aspect. Firstly I had my reservations regarding the visual side, mainly because the graph would get out of hand and it did rather quickly. BUT sub-systems were added in to combat this (among other things) each sub system gets it's own sub-graph, accessible by double-clicking on a sub-system. This will then display all the elements relative that particular system. In my case I have an EntitySystem which holds the base types(elements, views, components) for all my game entities. I then have seperate systems, for example PlayerSystem, that is linked to the EntitySystem by ctrl+click mousedrag to link the two systems together. Now in the PlayerSystem I have access to the EntitySystem, I then derive a player element from the Entity base element, all the inheritance is then generated. It allows you to seperate things into more manageable graphs but still have the power to easily implement things like inheritance.

Regarding code generation, I am not sure what you have used in the past that have done this so I can't directly compare. You don't actually ever edit the generated code itself, that is tucked away in seperate files that you shouldn't touch, as they get regenerated every time you save your Element Designer. UFrame will generate you your own versions to add your own code to, these are only generated once when you first create something new. You are then free to add your own logic inside these, handy hooks are provided that you can override to get full control of, for example if you had a PlayerView and the PlayerElement had a property Health, in the PlayerView you would have access to the HealthChanged method so if you wanted to do something when the health changed you would just override the HealthChanged(float health) method. Every time the player's health changes this gets called.

I have a feeling it's might be a little different to what you may have used in the past. Your best bet, if you are still unsure exactly how it works, is to watch some of the videos if you have time.

If you have any specific questions, I am actively developing with this version so feel free to ask.

11. Michael_invertgamestudios

12. Linus

Linus

Following the getting started guide:

From PDF (Linked to screen shot http://i.imgur.com/vWsoBDk.png )
    From http://www.invertgamestudios.com/uFrame/html/index.html
    New GameType is not an option when right clicking Elements folder.

$uframegametype.png

13. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Thanks for the detailed response; it was really helpful :) I'll be checking out the videos as I see they've been updated recently for the latest version.

14. micahoz123

micahoz123

Hey linus so sorry about that. We where in such a rush to get things out the door for the sale we havn't updated the getting started guide. You no longer need to create a "New Game" or any of those things now all you need is the diagram tools. If you're looking to just get started watch the first 2 video tutorials on the web site and we promise we'll get the getting started guide updated ASAP.

http://www.invertgamestudios.com/uframeoverview/tutorials/

Hope this helps :)

15. micahoz123

micahoz123

Yes brad has thoroughly been involved in the testing of the tools and really helped to bring the product together with helpful insight as he tested complex scenarios for the super cool stuff he's working on.

So if brad replies i'm just endorsing the fact that he knows what he's talking about because he's been using it for some time now. :)

16. Linus

Linus

I was not going insane then.

Understandable.
    Thanks for the sale, and hope it does well.
    Bought it because I kinda felt it would be useful for structuring code. Watching video 3, about 16 minutes in, I think an eureka moment is coming up real soon :)

Glad you sorted the errors shown in beginning of video 1, there is no bigger turnoff than errors from stuff on the asset store, well, next to everything from assets going into root folder. Seriously that should be forbidden in the asset store assets.
    your product is well organized, thanks.

Glad you support and will continue to support products like NGUI.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  17. micahoz123

micahoz123

HaHa Linus! Completely agree!

We are actually planning to extend the editor to integrate seamlessly with playmaker and some other tools as plug-ins. I hope by "eureka moment" you mean you are beginning to understand it better lol.

18. solakila

solakila

Hi

I'm little confused how uFrame elements communicate with each other.
    Perhaps you can help me out a little. :)

For example, I have something like this:
    $uframe1.jpg
    Does TestMainMenuSystem knows anything about TestGameSystem?
    Or they're just separate system, didn't know about each other?

$uframe2.jpg
    And I saw your tutorial videos, you use your emergencyGame element to get info from pill, then relay it to player.
    So in this picture, if TestGamePlayer need to interact with TestGameObj, like Player can pick Obj or Player can destroy Obj.
    Would you suggest I put these interaction code in TestGameElement? Or just link TestGamePlayer with TestGameObj, let these two element handle stuff on their own?

$uframe3.jpg
    Finally, there's connection between TestGameSystem TestGameAnotherSys
    Does TestGameAnotherElement knows about anything from TestGameSystem?
    Can TestGameAnotherElement access any elements in TestGameSystem?

Thanks~ :D

19. micahoz123

micahoz123

Hey solakila!

So I create another video for you :p I hope it helps explain the connections a bit more.

20. solakila

solakila

Thanks for your nice video!
    This helped a lot. :D

21. BES

BES

HI, I added this asset to my project and now I am getting a ton of errors ..

Mismatched serialization in builtin class 'Mesh' in the AssemblyNameProvider.cs lines 10 and 11 ..

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=70702

22. micahoz123

micahoz123

I think this somewhat doesn't have to do with uFrame but something in you're project. the AssemblyNameProvider just tells the uFrameAssetManager to find various assets. It does this by loading each .asset file and seeing if its of the correct type. So one of the asset files seems to be corrupted for some reason.

But this is good to know as a potential problem and I will add a note to me backlog to fix this issue. I plan on releasing an update sometime with this weekend with tons of fixes and even some additional features.

I hope this gives you an idea of the problem and hopefully i'm not misunderstanding the problem but i'm pretty sure this is the case.

23. BES

BES

Hmm.. ok ... I updated to Unity 4.3.4f1 .. had to re-add all the assets manually(due to minor scripting errors and such,like two or 3 mouse.cs files and such) ... guess I will do it again to try to track down what one it actually is..

Thanks for the response, most of the people I bought assets from don't even respond here or on their own support forums ... its refreshing when I do get a response :D .

24. Free-Compass

Free-Compass

Hi
    When I link one view component to another one, the element design window always fails and locks.
    Even worse, the undo is invalid now. I must recreate all files. :(
    Error Log: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    BeizureLink.get_EndRect()

25. micahoz123

micahoz123

Hey Free Compass,
    Really sorry about that. I've already tackled this issue for the next build. The view components had more than 1 issue I've addressed. Again i really apologize. I"m trying to get this build out before the end of this weekend sometime.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

I just ran into this as well. Is there anyway around this error or wait for the new build?

27. micahoz123

micahoz123

Hey Mike, Just released the 1.04 Build. Should correct this issue! :)

28. Member123456

Member123456

I just posted over in your support forums. It appears there are some issue with the build you released. Either that or maybe I am doing something wrong.

29. Michael_invertgamestudios

Discussions are going on in the uFrame forum now up and running.

30. Michael_invertgamestudios

uFrame update

Frame Release Notes
    IMPORTANT!!!: REGENERATE ANY DIAGRAMS!
    1.06 5/10/2014
    - Fixed: Heirarchy Icons going missing
    - Fixed: When creating views that are not connected they won't be generated as an empty file.
    - Fixed: You can't delete items that contain other items. You must delete the "inner" items first.
    - Fixed: When removing things it correctly removes the associations so that cascading errors don't occur. This includes Views still being generated
    - Fixed: Add to scene on scene managers not working correctly
    - Fixed: Some errors that occur from other non uFrame corrupted assets when polling for diagrams.
    - Fixed: Other minor issues and fixes
    - Modified: Now you can use ForceResolve directly from a view without manually adding the named injection.
    - Modified: Controllers now have a GetByName and GetByType which can be overriden and are used by views.
    - Modified: SceneManagers no longer initialize single instance types. So a at least one view should check InitializeViewModel in the inspector

31. Michael_invertgamestudios

32. Michael_invertgamestudios

Thanks James for another great review of uFrame
    "This tool is just what I needed for unity; alredy being familure with MVC and MVVM from my past exp and always a fan of modeling my ideas before I go and code them uFrame gives me nearly everything I need to work how I am most comfortable."

33. vidjo

vidjo

Cant wait for the new documentation!!

34. Michael_invertgamestudios

Its coming, we have been very busy :)

35. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

Currently suffering from thousands of errors.

Code (csharp):
    2. Serialization depth limit exceeded at ‘::TriggerInfo. There may be an object composition cycle in one or more of your serialized classes.

36. micahoz123

micahoz123

To my understanding this was a Unity issue of 4.5.

37. hexdump

hexdump

HI!,

This doesn't work on unity 4.5 then?

Thanks in advance.

38. braaad

braaad

39. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

40. Dosetsu

Dosetsu

It works. Just the error console dump when running it is undesirable.

41. hexdump

hexdump

Thanks Dosetsu.

On the other hand, is there any performance penalty using uFrame?

Thanks in advance.

42. BigBite

BigBite

Hi I just bought this asset. The "Getting Started" section in the docs mentions to click on UFrame in the menu, but there is no such thing on my menu. There are 2 other third-party plug-ins in my project; ProBuilder and Behavior Designer. I mention this just in case it important. Am I missing something? I can't find the UFrame "Editor" in the menus.

I'm using Unity 4.5

NVM, I think I got it working now.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  43. BigBite

BigBite

Hello everyone. After playing around in the Element Designer for a while, I clicked save. I then went into VS to start to implement some logic, I found that nothing was generated, aside from the Controller and View files.

Do I need UnityVS to hook everything up automagically?

44. Michael_invertgamestudios

45. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

Hey BigBite,

I believe the uFrame folks may have been updating the documentation while you were trying to follow along. Michael mentions that the new site is up which probably means the new documentation is complete. That will make things a lot more clear.

When you click save all of the files are generated for you to enable the elements(controllers and view models) you have designed in the designer and the views that you have created within those elements. Some of the files you will be able to modify are the partial classes, which inherit the properties from the elements you have created. The best way, I have found, to get at the files is to right click in the designer on individual objects to open the controller, view model at the element level and the view from within the element after double clicking the element.

You do not need UnityVS to achieve any of this.

46. Michael_invertgamestudios

Be apart of the uFrame community and head over to our new forum page:

47. zyzyx

zyzyx

Hi,
    will there be a trial version of some sorts? I really want to test uFrame before I buy it.

48. Michael_invertgamestudios

Not at this time, but shoot us an email with any questions you may have:
    invertgamestudios@gmail.com

49. Michael_invertgamestudios

50. Michael_invertgamestudios

We are proud to announce that uFrame version 1.2 is out. Tons of fixes and features have been added. Also a significant amount of re-factors have been applied to support future releases. This is a major milestone for the Invert team: but only a small step in our vision for uFrame.

If you run into any issues please let us know and we'll have a fix ASAP. Help us help you and please remember to submit any bugs on our website via
    Submit Bug on the Help page.