Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UDK 4.0 Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n0mad, Jun 8, 2012.

1. tatoforever

tatoforever

Epic and Crytek don't have any other choice but to keep their engine open to smaller developers (aka Indies, small studios, students) for two big reasons. Next gen gaming is not even on the horizons yet and speculations are pointing out to very difficult financing times for even bigger AAA titles. The second reason is Unity. Not only is getting better, but if they shut down the door to indies, Unity will have all those developers to them. Yes, Epic and Crytek both have nice revenues from their own AAA games but thing have changed now, industry have changed with economic change. Still, they need smaller developers to fill up their holes. There's a lot of other reasons to keep smaller developers on their free version boat. Though, how soon that will come? I don't know but something is sure, they are scared of Unity and they are moving their asses really fast.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. nipoco

nipoco

That's for the full licence with source code access. However that doesn't apply to UDK. It is free to use and if you want to publish your game you have to pay $99 once and share the revenue with Epic when you reached more than $50000 in profits.

But who knows, maybe Epic will change that licensing model with the upcoming UE4.

3. InSpire™

InSpire™

WOW, NiPoCo, so basically when i downloaded the "Beta" i have about the same access as unity standard?

4. pivotraze

pivotraze

Well, to the engine. But UDK has WAY more features than Unity Free, even Unity 4 Free

Basically... you can't edit the code used to make UDK/Unreal Engine 3, but can use all the other features of it

5. nipoco

nipoco

No, UDK comes with almost all bells and whistles, except the source code. That means all post process effects, real time shadows, light mapping, iOS support, Speed tree, Kismet etc. Unlike Unity free, which is very limited in that regards.
    However, while Unity pro does not contain the source code either, it is still more flexible and accessible than UDK. But that probably change with UE 4.

6. pivotraze

pivotraze

And the cool thing is, UDK for UE4 will still be free, for all the bells and whistles (minus Source Code), no doubt :p

I haven't used Speed Tree much as of yet, or FaceFX, or many other features that are realllly cool... heh

I will eventually though ;)

Oh, and one more nice thing that UDK has the neither Unity Pro, nor Unity Free have: FREE Scaleform integration. I can use Scaleform UIs in my game, for free, if it is not commercial :)

*note, I am not disappointed with Unity in any way for non-free scaleform UI integration.

7. InSpire™

InSpire™

Dont get me wrong i started with Unity and i LOVE IT. Except when my player model wont work... By the way i need a 3d model with animations XD. Anyways i think ill start a game on UDK once my RPG is Fin.

8. pivotraze

pivotraze

Have fun :) UDK isn't the easiest, but I don't really think it is extremely hard to make something interesting with it.

Regardless, good luck on your current game! :)

9. nipoco

nipoco

Oh yeah. Scaleform is also one of the killer features that ships with UDK.

But I forgot to mention that UDK is limited to PC and iOS builds at the moment. People who want to deploy for Mac, Android, Consoles or Linux will have to shell out the big money for the full Unreal Engine license.

10. pivotraze

pivotraze

Hate to say it, but you are wrong on the Mac part :)

http://udk.com/news-beta-sep2011

I'm sure it is no longer a preview, and much better by now :) As for Android, Consoles, and Linux (I didn't know UE3 even COULD run on Linux :) ) will need a full license.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DistributionAppleMac.html

For Unreal Frontend, I do have MacOSX in it, on my UDK :)

Oh, and:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33958/Epics_Rein_UDK_Will_Eventually_Come_To_Android.php

It looks like UDK will eventually come to Android. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

*note, one thing I love about UDK: They don't charge an extra license for iOS or (maybe soon? Android) support. No $500-$1500 fee! :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  11. nipoco

nipoco

Well, that is even better. I wasn't aware of that.
    As for Linux. No UE3 does not support it as far as I know. But Epic seems to think about it for UE4

12. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yea, I noticed it doesn't support Linux yet either.

However, after an edit, it looks as if Android is coming for UDK as well:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33958/Epics_Rein_UDK_Will_Eventually_Come_To_Android.php

Pretty sweet, considering they don't charge a lot to publish to iOS, maybe they won't with Android.

That would be SWEET if Unreal supported Linux :) I wonder if UDK would get support though...

13. InSpire™

InSpire™

Well you cannot currently create a game on mac but you can make it compatible for the mac or for any OS for that matter. Maybe not Ubuntu XD. Thanks Pivot. Also do you know how Inputs work? Im getting confused i set a input titled Move Forward put in the positive key as "w" amd it moves backwords -.- LOL. gotta love this stuff.

14. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yeah, UDK editor is Windows only.

Well, I haven't modified inputs apart from "F" to make it do flashlight, and not feign death. You shouldn't need to modify inputs in UDK? The default PlayerController class uses WASD etc...

I guess you could, technically, modify that by extending UDKPlayerController, but that's kindof unnecessary.

15. kablammyman

kablammyman

LOL!!!

I guess the next gen games will also be made in Java since the JVM is just as fast as a binary. ;)

16. InSpire™

InSpire™

ooohhh no Pivot i was talking about unity.

17. pivotraze

pivotraze

Heh, oops. I was confused. Quick topic change.

You can use:
    Input.GetAxis("Vertical") for W and S
    Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") for A and D

Instead of mapping WASD individually :)

18. InSpire™

InSpire™

Well right now im just going to try to implement a WoW type controller. Im creating a game about a girl whose family was murdered by one of two Factions and she grows up and basically finds who killed her family by any means necessary, the game is back in Sword and Bow era.

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But it's not free, it just has a different payment model. With Unity you pay a low fee up front, and no royalties. With UDK you pay no fee up front, but lots of royalties if your game makes significant coin.

Both toolsets rock, but if I intend to make money from my projects I know who I'd rather work with from the financial perspective.

UDK is only "free" if you intend to make less than $50k.

20. InSpire™

InSpire™

Yes. okay that makes sense But if your maybe a Novice still like myself, i intend to make games that make no money right now. Maybe after I make this next game and get better at modeling or find a modeler we can work from there. But think about it. 50k is alot of money.

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Not if you're in the business of making games/software. That's less than one person for one year.

22. echtolion

echtolion

It really isn't for a company.

23. InSpire™

InSpire™

as i said i am a novice game make by myself. if i were to make 50k on a game that i Solely created i would be very happy and willing to split it with the people who provided me with the game engine.

24. pivotraze

pivotraze

$99 up front fee, and then 25% after 50,000.

Yes, but as InSpire said, if I were to make a game that garnered $50,000... I would GLADLY split some money with the people who provided me the engine, in this case, Epic.

25. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Absolutely, me too.

But... if I made 100K from a game I'd rather give Unity a $3000 or $4500 split than UDK a $12,500 split. ;) (Of course, though, the math works out differently depending on the situation, so there's no one "right" solution.)

26. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

The 30/70 plan that many call standard, is something that I've always found funny. For the most part, the majority of their 70 will be profit while the majority of your 30 will be expenses...

27. nbalexis1

nbalexis1

Don't know about Unreal3, but I was an unreal2 user.

Unity is much better, I think I can make a game in Unity in 1 month while the same game will cost me 2 or 3 months in unreal2.

But I saw the video of Udk4, that's cool, but I heard somewhere it will come out in 2014? If it will come out this year, I really have to make a choice between udk4 and unity4

By the way, I think unreal2 is using uc which is not c++, and c++ is not dying, especially in game programming.

I think C++ may die in some cases that you need to get some think working as soon as possible, for example, a tool for test or programming, or your product is a web service, or you want cross platform features. I think that is true that programmer are moving to web services, and moving to other cases that they can program using scripts.

But C++ will never die when you want to make a PC program.

Windows, Linux, Unity, Unreal, IE, Chrome, Office, Many many games, php, apache, mysql, visual studio, 3dmax, maya, photoshop, flash, python, android ... many many things are made with it. I guess mac, xcode and ios also use c++.

"90% of game engines and game companies use C++", hey, I'm thinking about the other 10%, I know that there are engines made in C, but I really don't know there are 3d engines made using other languages...

And I think Visual Studio 2012 will of course support C++, I doubt they can throw away C++ while I think quite lots of VS users only use VC.

28. pivotraze

pivotraze

30/70? I think it's close to 70/30 :p

UDK get's 25% of your sales. You get the other 85 (if you sell it on your site)

Otherwise, Steam gets ~30% I guess, and then UDK gets 25% of what you get after Steam's 30%.

29. nipoco

nipoco

That is correct.

30. tasadar

tasadar

if you made the game with 5 people then it is 5 x 3000$ or 5 x 4500$ so it also depends on your team size.

afaik if your udk game enters steam, steam wont get the %30 acc. to some agreement between epic and valve.

31. InSpire™

InSpire™

Think about it. You have a Modeler who also does sound and Terrain, then you have Programmer who does art as well, so two person team make a outstanding game thats addicting they make 100,000 off of it, to play it costs 5 dollars a month, so there money is continually rising, anyways 100k - 25% is 75k now being it is a MMO its not on steam so they are still making 75 THOUSAND DOLLARS and its still incoming.

32. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

As if the modeler and programmer didn't have enough to do?

33. InSpire™

InSpire™

oh S*** i forgot only Blizzard, Jagex, and Bethseda can make videos darn totally blanked.

34. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

anyone can make a video with the right software.

35. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

Yeah, I had a brainfart on that... was more like a Monday than a Wednesday...lol. Still meant it to be 30/70 to start, but with their 30 mainly being profit while your 70 tends to get eaten up.

Was just a case of browsing through various things out there and how many of them stated they used the standard 30/70 (70/30 as the case may be)...

36. SevenBits

SevenBits

What, like Minecraft, a game that crashes even on moderately good gaming PCs? Java simply has the wrong coding model for games; not to mention the code bloat.

37. pivotraze

pivotraze

Haha it's fine :) Understandable. And yeah, what you get will likely disappear faster than theirs lol

38. InSpire™

InSpire™

goal make many small expansions that always make 49k

39. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

40. InSpire™

InSpire™

41. HolBol

HolBol

Your maths is wrong. 25% + 85% = 110%.

42. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

It's kind of funny reading some of the "death of C++" stuff. Then again, I'm a Windows guy - so the reading of late has mainly been about the death of XNA - avoiding Javascript/HTML5 - and the rise of C++/XAML...

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Are you sure that it isn't UDK gets 25% of profit then also Steam gets 30% leaving you with 45%

44. n0mad

n0mad

25% of 30% of 100% = 52.5%
    ;-)

(+ 50% taxes = 26.25% of initial revenue. LOL @ this system.)

45. Wolfos

Wolfos

Well, compiling C++ would take a long time. It takes like 2 seconds to try a new feature you just coded in Unity, it would take an hour in C++.

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

C++ is not dieing but its shifted out of the way from 'higher level programming task' moving more and more into the realm it belongs and always belonged to and thats low level and hardware close programming, not application programming, game play programming etc

As such it will never go away, but the dependence on it for 95% of the developers worldwide is shrinking too and with each new .NET version on windows thats just more the case cause .NET 4+ have tricks up the sleeve to let you write performant apps for multicore machines in minutes to hours that take weeks on C++

And the 49k trick is not gonna help you with UDK. its $50k lifetime revenue of your work with UDK, not $50k per application. Once you hit that $50k all your applications are subject to the revenue share.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  47. Meltdown

Meltdown

Oh.. the crap that guy posted?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-NZ/vcgeneral/thread/a83a0a94-dc1e-4e3a-ac39-23a58be8f980
    Read the MS MVP's post halfway down the page.

C++ is very alive and kicking in 2012 and has new features for it, I don't know what sewerage system complex he hangs out that he gets all this crap from.

According to the previous post in that link, WinForms development for C++ will stop being supported by MS, as C# and managed is a more efficient model. Anything else C++ is mainly built on, will be around a long time.

48. _Petroz

_Petroz

People who say C++ is a dying language are completely clueless.

49. Arowx

Arowx

I'm off to check out UDK, I think I need to keep my options open.

50. Morning

Morning

C++ is dying? Back to COBOL I guess.