Search Unity

UDK 4.0 Editor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by n0mad, Jun 8, 2012.

1. reset

reset

I had read somewhere that UDK 4 will be available very soon - before the end of the year.

2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

that's what I plan on doing.

3. kantaki

kantaki

I would say :

Workflow (for experienced users)
    Ce3 > unity > UDK

workflow (for beginners)
    unity >>>>>>>>>>>....N/A

In the end it all comes to personal preference . For me i really dislike the unity component system.

But to be honest, Unity has by far the biggest and friendliest community. There are so much tutorials and leanring resources.
    + Many "indie" system like Kits, Models, Networking backends etc.
    + great support

This is the real advantage of unity (in my eyes)

4. tatoforever

tatoforever

The component system is good (if used properly) but can also be very bad if wrongly used.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

So don't use it? it's optional for your own code. Why even make this an argument when it's clear it's optional.

6. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Maybe he doesent wish to wast time making a custom thingo when other engines already have an exeptable equivilant?

7. niosop2

niosop2

What custom thingo? If you don't want to use components then create just one script and do everything in that one script. Then it's just like your traditional non-component based engine, no custom thingo-ism required.

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Interesting video
    But I'm kinda lost where the UDK part came from as the video is about Unreal Engine 4, which is not the same thing as UDK
    Was there an ETA on how many months it will be until UDK will follow UE to 4.0 and when UE4 will even land at all?
    to me it looks like a matter of 2013 till UDK will be there, if at all, at which point its likely gonna compete with Unity 4

9. janpec

janpec

Probably UDK will be released very soon after UE4 will be consider how past updates were released to engine and SDK kit. It takes them only month to update UDK with new features from UE updates (after those were released),.

10. _Petroz

_Petroz

Yeah I looked around and AFAIK there hasn't been any announcement for UDK 4. From what I have read they're ditching uScript? If UDK Is going to be kismet only that seems pretty limited, if it's going to have C++ support that seems pretty powerful.

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think Epic games would make allot of money from games using UDK? probably an amount that would make them want to release it ASAP

12. janpec

janpec

I am guessing here, but probably not that much. Amount of finished and well selling games from UDK is still not big at all, defenetly nothing comparing to UE.

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I was guessing as well :) I don't think it would be as much but i think it would be quite a lot of money(and i cant see any reason not to release UDK 4 at the same point as UE4)

14. Jacksendary

Jacksendary

i saw this preview 2 days ago, and tbh i think unity3D now need to make a HUGE come back if they're gonna go over udk... with that said, graphic isn't what makes a good game but it is a bigger part of making the game feel "real"... also, BIG UPS to udk for finally trashing their S***y scripting language and go over to C++ even that they may change language again in a few years since C++ is a dying language (which is understandable). Microsoft have also lately confirmed they will slowly trash C++ libraries and slowly go over to C# for all theirs apps and stop supporting C/C++ in visual studio 2012.

15. Fallenrat

Fallenrat

After watching that, I still like Unity alot better just purely for the beginner friendly learning curve.

16. _Petroz

_Petroz

I don't know where to start. Firstly the difference between C++ and C# is huge, the saying that C++ is a dying language is horribly misguided.

The extremely slow iteration times with UE3 made it a pain to work with. It looks like they are trying to address that with the quick compilation while playing. Unity is miles ahead in work flow and Epic are playing catch up. The graphics are really nice, some of those improvements are impressive, but a game doesn't need those features, particularly indie games.

17. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Funny how some ppl are calling that "UDK"... Epic still don't even know if they will make a UDK version at all.
    They are going to release a UDK for this at the end of this year only if the engine is totally finished, and looks like thats not the case. They still working on UE4.
    And if they make a UDK based on UE4, I would be really surprised if they open C++ to anyone. UDK may use visual scripting only.

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Epic does know that they will, if they didn't it would be like chucking a gold nugget away and also giving away your Ferrari's(Market share) keys to someone(Unity).

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

UDK is updated monthly, thats true.
    But that does not mean that UE4 features are added there.
    I would expect the editor features to move over to UDK but the graphical side is a thing I wouldn't expect for the forseable future under the current indie licensing model.
    If I recall right, there are already deltas right now between UE3 and UDK.

20. Morning

Morning

I love GI and dynamic lighting most. Looks great.
    You don't have to give out entire engine code if your engine is pure c++. Source engine gives c++ access but only to the game side of it, the actual engine is not released as open source. So UDK4(if you can call it that) can have C++ support without the need to give out the entire engine.

21. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

It better be soon if they want to stay relevant, it's not like Unity and Cry aren't iterating and improving as well.

-Will

22. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Heh, that'd be a great way to screw it up! Wait too long to release!

The good'ol too little too late.

Wish it was out now!

23. Morning

Morning

I think unreal isn't that scared of getting behind cry/unity competition a bit. After all their main profits come from AAA licenses, not indies.
    Still, getting it on earlier would bring them a huge advantage.

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

Based on their demonstration video, the player class (which is 100% pure game logic) is written in C++. Is not part of the engine code, it is independent of it. Though, I'm not sure if its pure C++ or a C++ like scripting language (we don't see any .h files, only cpp files which probably means that could be some sort of c++ like scripting) I'm not sure, is either that or managed C++. Anyway, my point is that if they make an UDK4, it will have both (visual scripting and binary engine access through code scripting). It will not make sense to have only visual scripting.

25. cannon

cannon

UE3 provides C++ link targets, their UDK does not. You can add some C++ code to UDK via DLLs, but it's a limited interface similar to Unity plugins and not the same as C++ for game code. They have non-visual scripting (UnrealScript) for both, not C++ though it tries to look a bit like it.

I expect it will be the same for UE4's UDK.

26. tatoforever

tatoforever

I don't mean the actual UDK neither UE3. My speculations are based on their demonstration video (UE4). They've removed UnrealScript on UE4, so i believe that it will be different than actual implementations (UE3/UDK).

27. cannon

cannon

Wow, that's a huge change. You're right; they'll need both, unless they seriously believe their new kismet is enough.

28. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

Well I think you are deeply missing the point, but that's probably because you have not used something like that before ^^. It's not about the graphics, this is just a showcase demo. Final games will look a lot better.
    What is so impressive about this demo is that it is all REALTIME, all DYNAMIC... That's the point. Everyone who has every tried to get decent Apex destruction, decent realtime lighting, or even just lighting, decent shadows, decent occlusion culling, decent anything will agree that having those static tools (on which Unity is built upon) is just a big piece of crap. You spend virtually 99% of your time on these F***ing things that just outta work... And in Unreal 4, they just work out of the box. That is the difference!

So basically, I really don't care about occlusion culling, global illumination layers and all that stuff... These are implementation details. Having to deal with that as a game developer is like having to know about how the heads in your hard drive ought to be moved to get the data stream from the correct file... No damn... What you wanted was just reading this freaking file right? And this is what UE4 does (and CE3 btw)

And by no means, does this mean that a game developer shouldn't know what's going on behind the scenes... But he still shouldn't have to deal with it. Same like how good software development everywhere else already is... We are finally moving forward!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  29. n0mad

n0mad

Indeed ;-) I was really talking about the pure visual part of it, not the tools to create it :p

30. Morning

Morning

Cryengine was the first engine to go fully dynamic as far as I know. Can't wait when this becomes standard. Dynamic is good from both developer and gameplay perspective.

31. InSpire™

InSpire™

I have done the worst thing... Tried the UDK Oh my God. Its great. More comfortable with Unity though.:D

32. Meltdown

Meltdown

Did you get blown away by the fluffy particle effects?

33. lmbarns

lmbarns

Or scripting in C++ now that they're ditching uscript.

34. Khyrid

Khyrid

I heard C++ was a dying language, I guess if UDK is adopting it's not.

35. lmbarns

lmbarns

No, it's much alive, it's just a lot less accessible to the masses with a higher learning curve.

It's faster than java or c#, Unity is made with it....

36. Khyrid

Khyrid

Wait, so Unity is made with C++, so then they decided that customers are not going to be as good of programmers as them, better give them an easy language. lol.

37. Meltdown

Meltdown

Where did you hear that?
    90% of game engines and game companies use C++.
    Also DirectX and it's API is C++, and Windows is built on C++, all with some assembly probably thrown in.

It's the de facto standard to interface directly with hardware, graphics cards and all the other funky stuff.
    I doubt it's going anywhere.

38. kablammyman

kablammyman

this.

I really don't understand why people think C++ is "dying"...maybe its wishful thinking because everyone wants to be considered a programmer now-a-days, but without the actual understanding of how computing and hardware works. lol

39. Khyrid

Khyrid

HERE

40. khanstruct

khanstruct

The emergence of C# was what originally began the thought of C++ fading away. But no, C# is simply a user-friendly way of getting into the C language. C++ isn't going anywhere.

41. thesaint1987

thesaint1987

When Unity buys either Crytek or Unreal :D

42. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

You'll like it more when UDK 4 with it's new integrated IDE will make it easy to script games!

43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Bah, that's small fry, they should just buy tencent directly.

44. InSpire™

InSpire™

one big problem im halfway done with scripting on a Unity game im making throwing me wayyyy of course XD. The skyboxes blow me out of the water.

45. Lypheus

Lypheus

I'm not sure how C# has any relevance on C++, the two programming languages are living in completely different worlds these days (when was the last time you wrote a web app in C++? been a while for me I can tell you).

And to the statement of C++ being 'faster' than Java, that's simply naive - we've been down this road so many times now it's barely worth arguing anyhow, this is entirely dependant upon the situation, Java tends to out perform in the areas of memory mgmt C++ for floating pt, in the end they are usually a wash and it comes down to what problem domain you're in and which language suits it best.

http://blog.cfelde.com/2010/06/c-vs-java-performance/
    http://www.javaworld.com/jw-02-1998/jw-02-jperf.html

Most confusion seems to stem from the fact that with Java you have a security sandbox, automatic gc, etc... in same cases even these perform better than C++ when comparing them under similar circumstance (esp. gc).

46. janpec

janpec

Indeed UDK skybox system is pure awesomnes, not just skybox but default lighting themes you get are really great. Very similar to Mudbox setup.

47. InSpire™

InSpire™

Yup. the only thing that i dont like is how its not as straight forward as Unity

48. pivotraze

pivotraze

I love UDK as well :) I have a weird issue with it right now, with lighting (o_O) but anyways, once UDK for UE4 comes out, I think it will be a MAJOR contender to Unity for ease of use, personally. :)

49. nipoco

nipoco

Apart from the stunning particle effects, real time GI, post process effects, I really love UE4's new Kismet. Perfect for us non-programmers to create fast prototypes and small games. I guess I will take a look into UDK once Epic integrated UE4.

I found the video on that site pretty interesting. It shows Epic's art director and some of the mini games, he created with Kismet2.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  50. InSpire™

InSpire™

How much is Licensing anyways? i have hear rumors for 350k