Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Twitch.tv Creates a special category for game development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by elmar1028, Oct 29, 2014.

1. elmar1028

elmar1028

2. melkior

melkior

I know livestreaming is popular amongst gamers but I can only see this as a distraction as a developer? I work hard enough as it is to cut out distractions!

3. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well the thing about live streamers is they actually send donations. I guess some people might make enough from it which is better then doing side work.

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  4. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

I've seen lives streams of development before. Mostly game jams like Luddum Dare. Quill18 is a good example of a person who live streams whiling deving. He also lets the viewers get in on the decisions sometimes which is pretty cool.

5. Beardbotnik

Beardbotnik

I personally have been using twitch at times to stream some development and I think it can be a great way to get your game out there. You get to have people ask you questions about the game and feel involved a bit more. In a time where indie devs tend to have to self promote and market their games I think this helps add another useful tool for getting your game out there and building a fanbase.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  6. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I saw a little of quill18 streaming. That was great!

It's definitely interesting that twitch has a category for this now. People like transparent development of games they might be buying. That's a small advantage over AAA games :D

7. BFGames

BFGames

Think it is pretty cool. Both for viewer who wants to learn about game development and for developers who likes to share their work. I mean sitting alone working on a project can be an extremely lonely feeling. Sharing it might actually keep you going.

8. JovanD

JovanD

Can't wait for sluts to start streaming development!

Wacky-Moose and Neoshiftr like this.
  9. elmar1028

elmar1028

You can't stream your self half naked anymore on Twitch.

10. BFGames

BFGames

1/10 naked will do for us geeks ;)

JovanD and elmar1028 like this.
  11. elmar1028

elmar1028

I think its a good move which is beneficial for both developers and gamers as both learn from streams.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  12. Ayrik

Ayrik

I would stream my development, but most of it is done on the train to/from work where the WiFi sucks really bad. Not to mention it would be so incredibly boring for everyone, haha.

13. elmar1028

elmar1028

Yeah. Unfortunately, Game Development category is not so popular among users. (Max 200 views) :(

14. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

Lets help each other out and follow any active developer streams on twitch. We have been streaming for the past few months and continue to do so.

Would appreciate follows from anyone here that is willing to follow: www.twitch.tv/fueledbyrockets

Happy to follow back anyone that follows!

elmar1028 likes this.
  15. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Working on a huge project maybe. But if you were modeling something small or making a component you could show progress on every half hour or so people might be interested :D

I bet twitch would mute people who did music though, even if the live streaming of it was the first sample of it ever existing ._.

16. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I do game dev streams (http://www.twitch.tv/Asvarduil), and I've found it helpful to myself, since I usually get some good in-situ feedback, but also helpful to the viewers; they get to ask questions about what I'm doing, which means I get to explain my (current) tactics, and give some advice as necessary (for instance, in my current project, I have all of my sprite frames in different files. I explain to my viewers that this is suboptimal from a performance perspective, but that I do it for now because it lets me correct animation errors more easily.)

17. rxmarccall

rxmarccall

@Asvarduil, followed your channel, would appreciate a follow back :D

18. mgear

mgear

19. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I started to use it and i dont actually interact with anyone but for some reason it really motivates me. Although i cant quite figure out how your supposed to code/play and handle twitch at the same time.

20. elmar1028

elmar1028

I have noticed a few things:

1) When I was programming, nobody watched me
    2) When I was building UI (using Unity 4.6) I got 6 viewers

This gives us a conclusion that people like drag & drop stuff... :(

21. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess you would have to interact with other people and they might. If your coding for a few a while and keep to a schedule you might get a few regulars. One guy has over 200 viewers although it looks like hes an artist

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  22. mgear

mgear

23. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I've had the opposite experience. I get the most feedback and activity from code-heavy episodes (it may be because I'm the kind of nerd that when I get to code, I'm all but squeeing with delight.) I don't get many viewers on-stream, but my YouTube uploads usually do alright in terms of views.

24. elmar1028

elmar1028

According to twitch streamers get followers because they interact with viewers.

But I am not that kind of guy who would enable webcam and talk because I am too shy! :p

25. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

lol hmm yeah this makes me want to try this, buuut.. yeah im kinda shy too,

26. elmar1028

elmar1028

Once again I tried once but with audio and webcam disabled. Besides there are top twitch broadcasters (in Game Development) who don't show their face or talk.

The only thing which holds me back is my upload speed which is 0.5 - 0.7 Mbps. :(

27. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Is there value? I've considered this as a way to practice my communication, with the hope of giving back. However, the reality is that VERY few people would actually view it, in which case, it's likely a waste of my time, which I value VERY highly.

And yet, at the same time, I'd like to learn more about setting up and running a stream, as I think it's something I could do well. Assuming I could figure out all the software, video, and tools needed to get it all up and running.

Gigi

28. mgear

mgear

I've been watching many streams for some time now, and my notes would be:
    - If the stream(er) is good, you get a loyal following (see JonahLobe, handmade_hero, PlayDungeonMans, BlueMurderGaming etc.)
    - After couple of weeks watching that Fireborne game asset creation I would buy the early access game if they have such, just because of the stream.
    - Many coding streams get help & suggestions from the chat, even if its pro-coder, they learn new ways
    - Most streamers seem to get donations, especially good streamers get asked all the time "how to donate" or "please add twitch subscriptions"
    - Some do beta testing on the stream, with the viewers playing the game (multiplayer or own their own)
    -

Setting it up seems easy,
    - OBS software (few notes: Can enable archiving and saving video locally, for uploading to youtube later etc..)
    - Good mic. is important, if sound quality is bad, nobody wants to listen.. (Check: BlueYeti microphones)
    - Twitch channel layout edit (add info, links, twitter..)
    - There are chat bots available, to help answering common questions

TrentSterling and Gigiwoo like this.
  29. mgear

mgear

Hey, interesting new stream:
    "Jean Simonet, former BethesdaSoft Dev (Oblivion/Fallout/Skyrim) is now streaming the development of his new indie game in Unity3D"
    http://www.twitch.tv/jean_simonet