Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tutorial] Unity Remote install and configuration

Discussion in 'Android' started by dcr110, Jun 21, 2013.

1. dcr110

dcr110

Hi everybody,

Yesterday I was trying to install the Unity Remote and I have a lot of trouble until I get it to work. I get it to work from information from many forums and threads. Besides, in Brazilian play store i saw a lot of people saying the remote didn't work on Unity 4, which is not true, so I decided to write this tutorial to help other people to get it to work on Windows.

1. Install Java jre or jdk. The version must be the same of your OS (32 bits or 64 bits): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2. Configure Java environment.
    2.1. Right-click the Computer icon on your desktop and select Properties (Shortcut: Windows+PauseBreak)
    2.2. Select Advanced System Settings
    2.3. Click the Advanced tab.
    2.4. Click the Environment Variables button.
    2.5. Under System Variables, click New.
    2.6. Enter the variable name as "JAVA_HOME" (without quotes) and jre or jdk path as the variable value, for example, C:\Program Files\Java\jre7. (In 64bits OS, make sure to take the java from "Program Files" and not from "Program Files (x86)")
    2.7. Edit the variable "Path" value, adding "%JAVA_HOME%\bin;" (without quotes) at the beginning.
    2.8. Hit "Ok".

3. Install Android SDK from Google. Use the same version of your OS (32 bits or 64 bits): http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html . After installing, open the eclipse.exe, if it opens without error, everything is ok.

4. Enable USB debugging in your device.

5. Connect your Android device and install it's drivers. Go to Windows Device Manager (step 2.1 and then Device Manager) and see if the device doesn't have a yellow exclamation. If it has, you have to install the driver. On Windows 64 bits, maybe you have to disable the Windows driver signature. For Windows 8, see this post. For Windows 7, check this one. If you don't have the driver, try the Google one, start the Android SDK Manager and in the extra, check Google USB Driver and hit Install Package. After downloading, you can install following this instructions.

6. Check the device installation through adb. With the device connected, open the command prompt, go to the adb folder (it's the platform-tools folder in SDK folder, the command is "cd path" where "path" is the path to platform-tools) type "adb kill-server" hit enter and then type "adb devices", hit enter. You should see your device under the "List of devices attached". If you don't see any device, you have a problem in your device installation.

7. Configure Unity. Open Unity, go to Edit>Preferences>External Tools and tell Unity where the Android SDK is installed. Close Unity.

8. Execute the Unity Remote. With the Unity closed, connect your device to your computer, start the Unity Remote and then open Unity. When you hit play the game must run in the computer and in your device.

I saw some posts saying that in some cases you will have to run the step 6 every time you start Windows, so, if you have problems, you already know what to do!

2. Leocesar

Leocesar

Thank you dcr110, my main problem was to get the right USB driver for my Samsung tablet Galaxy S3. Problem solved when I installed the official Samsung drivers packed in the Samsung Kies application.

Agradeço pelo tutorial, melhor que as orientações da própria página do Unity.

3. stenlik

stenlik

Hi,
    The key factor there is that the Unity on PC must be started after:

1) The Android phone is connected over USB cable
    2) The "adb devices" command recognizes the device (so proper drivers are installed)
    2) The Unity Remote runs on phone

BR
    STeN

shinatoX1 likes this.
  4. BWILL

BWILL

USEFUL INFO:

I am no expert, only 14 years old, but I was trying to set up the Unity Remote by following these instructions. I tried for about 6 hours and nothing ever worked.
    The issue was that I was using the following device: 9" Hipstreet FLARE 2 Google Certified Dual Core 8GB Tablet.
    Once I switched to the "huawei ascend y530" and followed these steps the remote started working. Therefore, if you are having any problems it may be the device you are using.

I also looked at this website for additional help:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tutorial-unity-remote-install-and-configuration.187194/

I had to install usb drivers for my device at:
    http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html

P.S. thank you so much for this help, I was going insane.

Draxie likes this.
  5. zico_mahilary

zico_mahilary

hi... i cant understand this part... could anyone help please
    this is how far i managed to go
    Capture2.PNG

6. PunkTilious

PunkTilious

Thank you very much for this post. Might have been all I needed was to reboot Unity, but it helped either way. :)

7. ProjectSeven

ProjectSeven

Its works like a charm if these steps are followed. Thanks Yo !

8. koothur19021

koothur19021

Oh man can't thank you enough. Thank you so much , it worked.
    But the play back is kind of laggy. Anyways to fix that ?

9. Setmaster

Setmaster

It works, thanks.

10. Quazar_100

Quazar_100

It works but I have no gyroscope input responding in Unity 5.
    Strangely, some months ago, everything worked smoothly on Unity 4.5
    Is anyone have same experiences ?

11. Sek19

Sek19

dcr110

Hello! I would like to thank you dearly for your contribution to this issue of connecting unity with it's remote feature. This is something I've been struggle bussing with for quite some time. Really, I gave up for a long period of time it wasn't until today I found this post and finally got this to work because of your help in the matter! Keep being awesome and thanks for the wonderful help!!!!

12. Rambert

Rambert

Thank you, with this post i could check everything step by step.

What i did:
    At first i installed the samsung usb drivers.
    Then the Google usb driver via SDK Manager and at the end i installed Samsung Kies again.

After that i did Step 6 (...\SDK\platform-tools\adb devices) and got this message:
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port XXXX *
    * daemon started successfully *

I repeated this Step and got this message:
    List of devices attached
    xxxxxxxx unauthorized

... and on the smart phone appeared the quester if i like to allow this computer to use the debug funktions.
    Now its working!!

Tanks a lot!

13. Quazar_100

Quazar_100

Please help me as it still doesn't work here.

I've done everything you wrote here !

Also, this post I followed & still nothing.

Could it be a driver issue ? I can't think of something else ...

14. senseiGoodie

senseiGoodie

Excellent post dcr110.

In my case, I think point 6 was crucial. After follow the instructions of this points, I have been succeed in running my projects on my mobile.

After all the morning trying to fin out why I was not being able to test my projects on my mobile, you give me the solution.

Thank you.

15. danny1111

danny1111

I've got a Vodafone Smart prime 6. What driver should I get because there isn't any for vodafone. Does anyone know who manufactures the Vodafone phones

16. Andrew122222

Andrew122222

I tried these instructions and it still wasn't working. I finally figured out my issue, so hopefully it will help others too:

When running adb.exe devices, it was also showing another device (as well as my phone). I didn't think this was an issue, but it was. I had Bluestacks installed (Android emulator), and after disabling it, Unity Remote started working on my phone.

To stop the emulator, I did the following:
    1. Windows key+R
    2. Type services.msc
    3. Stop BlueStacks Android Service
    Hope this helps others.

17. Zulqurnain

Zulqurnain

Thank U Very much that was very helpfull, it's worked

18. stark_sarthak

stark_sarthak

I was fed up with this problem for 6 hours or so and then i found the following solution :-

BlueStacks (android emulating software) interferes with Unity's ability to communicate with a cable connected android device. So even if bluestacks is just installed on your system and not even running, it will interfere with Unity's remote app and it won't be able to run on your physical device connected via a cable. This is valid for android but I dont know about iOS because i don't use it.

Solution - Open windows task manager and kill all tasks with the name "BS" or "Bluestacks" written on them. Then connect your device with Unity remote and follow the normal procedure as mentioned in all threads and tutorials. It shall work like a charm.

This might not be valid for everyone who's unity remote is not working but I thought I'd just share my personal experience so it could help someone out.

19. Rever1967

Rever1967

20. Memborg1

Memborg1

Thank you for this solution. Works great.
    Used an LG G3 for this setup

21. Behdadb

Behdadb

Thanks a lot.

22. babar_ec

babar_ec

Thanks a million. I'm using Unity Remote 5 and the point 8 did the trick for me.
    8. Execute the Unity Remote. With the Unity closed, connect your device to your computer, start the Unity Remote and then open Unity. When you hit play the game must run in the computer and in your device.

23. davidjoe

davidjoe

Thanks God. It works like a charm

24. Zodess

Zodess

Following these steps made my Unity Remote 5 work, after a few days of frustrating tries. Thank you!

25. Ubrano

Ubrano

Grazie mille!

26. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you it worked for me.....do exactly what is said in this tutorial....I had JDK 7.0 32 bit on my 64 bit PC but didnt work but then I installed JDK 9.0 64 bit on it then it worked.....thanks

27. EmeraldThunder

EmeraldThunder

now not working agaaaain :(

28. gpaulguilfoyle

gpaulguilfoyle

29. professionalONE

professionalONE

you need to add the path to 'path' variable

30. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

This video helped me:

31. Hasini_Madhuwanthi

Hasini_Madhuwanthi

Hi I am having an error.
    /adb.exe forward tcp:7201 tcp:7201
    error: cannot bind listener: cannot bind to 127.0.0.1:7201: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. (10013)

plz help me

32. LimbicNode42

LimbicNode42