Search Unity

Tutorial Section a mess in new update

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Blackdrazon, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Blackdrazon

Blackdrazon

So the tutorial section was updated with the Unity 5 launch and it's essentially collapsed into a pile of spaghetti. Let's see...
    1. The Tutorials have essentially all been given the same table of contents instead of separate ones. So if you click on the Roll-a-Ball tutorial on this page, you'll be taken to this page, which isn't just full of broken images, but gives no indication where the Roll-a-Ball tutorial begins out of eighty-four distinct entries.
    2. The entries are all all numbered out of order, and most of them clumped into the "chapter 1" section.
    3. This problem continues on the individual tutorial pages. Except here, the numbering appears to be in order, which given the state of things, is even more misleading.
    4. If you tried to follow the tutorials from top to bottom, you'd be confronted first with a series of 0th chapter tutorials not listed on the main tutorial page, then some 1st chapter tutorials not listed on the main tutorial page, then the Intermediate-level Stealth tutorial, which is interrupted by the Beginner level tutorials (and some more unlisted ones!), then the Intermediate Rougelike tutorial... before Stealth picks up again in Chapter 2.
    I essentially only recognize what's going on because I was here when the site was still intact. It's like someone walked away in the middle of retagging the pages.

I understand that most of these tutorials are incompatible with Unity 5, but until Unity 5 tutorials are ready to launch, the page is still the official Unity Tutorial page, and it's still a disaster. What's worse is there was no reason to change it to this format in the first place when it was in proper order just yesterday.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. adamdoehling

adamdoehling

I second this....can someone @ Unity in charge of the website have a look?

3. TizzyTool

TizzyTool

+1. Can't access the 2D roguelike tutorial at all.

4. Gnumptie

Gnumptie

+1. They've all been completely scrambled! Can we get a roll-back to yesterday's tutorials page please?

I guess I could take pot luck and do some random tutorials until then! :confused:

5. Blackdrazon

Blackdrazon

I haven't tried playing all the videos, but if you're looking at the Table of Contents, they're near the bottom of Chapter 1. If you're on a Chapter 1 lesson page, they start at Step 47.

Hopefully they'll be back in their own section soon, "Step 47" is no "Step 1" in my book.

6. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

You might want to do a hard refresh (ctrl + F5). I've just visited all tutorials and everything looks normal to me, unlike earlier when things were... messed up :)

Good luck!

7. Gnumptie

Gnumptie

All good now. The bug gremlins have decided to return things back to normal.

8. Blackdrazon

Blackdrazon

Looks fine again to me, thanks!