Search Unity

Tutorial / Guidance wanted for a personal project

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by gmilitel, Apr 10, 2015.

1. gmilitel

gmilitel

Hi, I'm very new to unity and searching here and there for some answers for a project I have in mind for a personal satisfaction. I'm a fan of military games where do have to make some strategy, planes,ships,tanks,etc. I want to play with a game that give me the opportunity to drive a complete armed forces simulating real scenarios hitting targets (naval,air and land). My dream will come true when I can lead army,naval and air assets to a desire objective like taking a island or a complete city or an entire country / region. The main should be in a top map (google maps like) with units represented by icons telling with mouse clicks where they need to go (heading at). A 3d window will show units as they get clicked with their 3d effects, particle system, physics,etc. A GUI system needs to be fitted to see own/enemy unit information like heading, speed, weapons loadouts,etc.

I found assets, scripts, tutorials around the forum of each piece of I was describing above and needs to put all things together, I need more time to learn unity basis, as I'm not a programmer. This is a major project I'm planning to achieve and I know they need time to get everything in place.

I need some help to start just with simple things, so let me put a brief early step I want to reach in the next weeks:

1. Setup a Top map view with a fictional terrain (I'll try to add some real DEM terrain in the future).
    2. Setup units in the map represented with an icon (I'll switch to NTDS symbology later)
    3. Setup mouse clicks to move units
    4. 3D Window to see 3d objects (click on the icon on the 2d map)
    5. a simple GUI to manage units (I'll work it out to show unit loadouts,speed,altitude,etc)

If someone can point me somewhere, how can I approach each step It will be very appreciated

Regards.

2. gmilitel

gmilitel

Ok, I did some progress:

Step 1:
    Done.
    I found a script and with the help of this post I setup a map with pan+zoom capability. I know this sounds like a little progress but for me is like an entire life.

I wish to have the StrategyCam solution found in the asset store in my project but I'm light years of that.

I'm very pleased for now.

Cheers.

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Keep up the good work. You can post your project for feedback in the WIP section. If you want more information on learning, then try the learn section of the the Unity site (follow the link at the top of the page: "Learn").

When you have a specific need, make one post per topic and preferably one topic at a time, until you can get thru all the issues you have with your project.

Another resource is the community IRC channel. You can find more information by following the link "Community" at the top of the page.