Search Unity

[CLOSED] trueSKY for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rvkennedy, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John-G

John-G

Yes plane flies thru clouds, no setup required - automatical works. Clouds obscure your vision when flying thru them. :)
    Quick test method, is to just drag the camera in the scene view thru the clouds.

Do you have sun and moon showing in your scene? I have the background light from sun, but the halo graphic for sun (Suimono\Assets\Simul\Media\textures\SunFlare.png) does not show.
    Nor does the moon show (Suimono\Assets\Simul\Media\textures\Moon.png) or anything that ir in that texture folder does not show for me in scene. I'm getting lights ok from moon ans sun :(

As for blank sequence you can right click in the project folder and select create - truesky sequence.
    Ps in sequence if you click on bottom left timeline where it says Sky, it bring up all the sky options for Tim,e date, sun azimuth, moon diameter etc
    Same for clicking on 3d clouds and 2d clouds - more controls related to them to be found.
    (Found by accident, as not listed in the documentation.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks. I had to move the camera up in the Y axis 4000 units to get inside the clouds. That renders beautifully.

I do not see the halo for the sun nor the moon texture either.

Thanks for the tips about clicking on the actual words in the sequencer to bring up the global parameters. What I meant by a blank sequence is to not have any key-frames at various times. I was able to select all the keyframes and delete them this time without crashing. So that answers that question.

Thanks again!

3. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I think the Sequencer is still a little buggy... crashing if I delete all the key-frames, and bringing the same key-frames back after deleting them after playing the scene.

4. John-G

John-G

Yes unfortunately the same happens here, sequences do not appear to save, so once you hit play and come back to them they are back to default. I tried to edit them manually in text editor - but Truesky no longer opens them if edited this way ;(

5. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I guess we'll have to wait for the developer to answer some of our problems and questions...

6. John-G

John-G

Wohoo, figured it out. You can't edit a sequence thats attached to the TrueSky script. You need to create new sequences, which you can edit and save.
    I created 2 different sequences and did a quick test on the so both were different cloud types etc. Hit play on unity and dragged each in turn into the Truesky script to see the results and it worked.
    Closed down unity and re-opened both sequences were as I had designed them. :)

7. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

My new Sequences wont save. I'd right-click in the Projects area, go to Create > trueSKY Sequence. It brings up the editor, but how do you save them?

8. John-G

John-G

They pretty much auto-save. Further testing shows that the hidden options for Sky like latitude and longitude don't save :(
    Maybe these have to be fed by script? But the keyframes and cloud information do save, though it seems to have a minimum of 4 keyframes, if you delete all of them it opens again with 4 default keyframes.
    But adding cloud, sky keyframes and changing there properties are saving on my end ok.

But being an Alpha Build, I'm very impressed with the power so far. Though there are quite a few fixes required. Plus some good documentation need to be created.

Also for anyone thinking of using Suimono Oceans V2 they are some issues with these 2 together. Ckeck out my posts in the suimono tread for info (Page 8):
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/suimono-water-system-2-0-beta-announcement.211653/

9. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I could not get this to work with Candela SSRR.

10. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Anyone get this working with Linear Color Space? The sky get washed out.

11. John-G

John-G

Did you try adjusting your Multiplier on the SimulSun script attached to the light source.
    I found the default of 0.05 way to high and settled on 0.03

12. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

That only seems to change the lighting on everything but the sky/clouds.

Did you ever get the cloud shadows to work?

13. John-G

John-G

No, no shadows or astronomical objects seem to be working. Will have to wait on an update from dev for those fixes.

14. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

You can modify weather properties from the C# side, or edit in the sequence. At the moment, you can change time-of-day. In the next update we will add support to modify cloud density and altitude. We will add more C# API calls as we go.

The performance depends on the number of cloud samples, and the downscaling factor, both of which can be modified in the trueSKY object within Unity Editor.

15. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

This is fixed in the next update - it may take a few more days for Unity to post it but anyone who wants it now, message me at contact@simul.co. We're just finishing up SIGGRAPH today so will catch up with more of your questions and issues in the coming days.

16. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I think this is not enabled in the current Asset Store version. Message me at contact@simul.co if you'd like to get the update before it appears there.

17. VIC20

VIC20

bump

18. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I don't see why it would be a separate product, unless Unity has some restriction on that which I've not seen. But the price won't change between Windows and Mac.

19. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Thanks - will fix!

20. norby

norby

Hi Rvkennedy

Do you have a timeframe for the OSX compatible version?
    would be great to know :)

Thanks

rvkennedy likes this.
  21. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Hi Norby, we don't currently have the skillset in-house to do the conversion so we're looking for an external developer to do it. If you know anyone... we need an OSX developer with xCode, C++, and OpenGL experience. If we don't find a good external person, I'd say about 3 months before we can allocate the time to get it done.

22. thylaxene

thylaxene

OK I understand about the OSX converting resources. So the question is if I bought the $50 trueSky alpha now will I get OSX support once released? As I'm happy to buy it now at the intro price and wait for the OSX version.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  23. Xeir

Xeir

I'm thinking the same thing, as I'm 99% Mac based, the 1% Windows being purely for testing.

But, as he mentioned:
    It sounds like it will be added to the existing package, which is what I would expect in any case.

So, while we would have to wait a bit for it to show up, I'm thinking it could well be worth the wait.

Couple of questions, is there anything limiting us in other-worldly use? For example:
    - Dynamic cloud color/weather patterns to represent weather on other worlds.
    - Having cloud layer sub-systems that can react independently of the main mass. Envisioning a sub-mass coalescing into a devastating weather anomaly or have multiple smaller masses converge.
    - I think someone brought up something about an event system already; lightning triggering sounds, collision events on the cloud mass and/or sub-masses.

Just envisioning some possible uses here and I think I'm just trying to talk myself into it more and more.

rvkennedy likes this.
  24. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Yes, no reason not to.
    You can already make some fairly alien-looking stuff if you push the settings out of their normal range. We're talking to some astrophysicists at the moment about simulating some known planetary atmospheres in the Solar System - planets we have good data for. This will help push out the range of capabilities for trueSKY, then creating unknown or fantasy planets will be easier.

It's not on our current schedule but definitely something we want to do at some point. Tornadoes are on the wishlist.

25. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I would hold off until we know the schedule a bit better. I'm sure this won't be our last sale, it seems to be a thing with Unity.

26. Xeir

Xeir

Sounds great!

Here's a thought, does trueSKY handle planetary curvature, being able to wrap around a planet. Thinking view from space, sub-orbital flight, re-entry and seeing the weather from a top down perspective with appropriate curvature. Again, just thinking out loud.

27. John-G

John-G

Hi Roderick emailed you regarding a issue I'm having with TrueSky and Suimono beta V2 working together.
    Hoping you might be able to have a look and see if there is a solution to getting these to play nice together :)

rvkennedy likes this.
  28. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I like the way you think! We do do curvature, but there's probably a bit of work to make it look really nice from stratospheric altitudes and beyond. It's underway.

Xeir, VIC20 and John-G like this.
  29. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Few things to note (note: deferred, linear, GTX 570):

1) There are no instructions (that I could find) to do a build.

With an x86 build you need to copy the shaderbin .FXO's over to the build directory.
    I.e. Assets\Simul\shaderbin\*.fxo to x86\Game_Data\Simul\shaderbin.
    I figured this out by looking at the standalone demo build structure earlier in this thread.

The interop DLLs for x86 will copy over automatically as part of the build process.
    An X64 build doesn't seem possible right now without x64 dlls.

2) The DLLs appear to be debug DLLs. Is this correct and if so, are you planning to swap out for the release ones?

3) Integration was quite simple and fast and integrated to my time manager quite quickly. Overall it looks very nice! Although there are no celestial bodies that I can see (this was mentioned earlier in this thread).

4) From about 18:00 to 6:00 there seems be no light whatsoever (using the example sequence), and the clouds are noticeably brighter than I feel they should be at night, especially when you look straight up.

5) There seems to be a non-trivial performance hit at the resolution I usually test builds at (1920x1200). This is a bit hard to quantify and requires further testing/profiling against some baselines, as I recently changed my project to deferred/linear and haven't benchmarked for a while.

I understand this was an alpha release - I just wanted to point out what I found so far.

30. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Thanks for developing this for Unity.
    Ever since I came across Simul a few years ago I've longed to be able to develop with the tech!

Very much looking forward to getting more C# API commands so I can have more control over things at runtime, as my game will require random weather (within preset constraints), rather than relying on scripted events.

I also want to be able to query where rain is falling so I can accurately texture the ground with respect to damp or dry patches. So I'm hoping to see lots of data access added over the coming months.

But even at this stage the clouds are just a joy to watch.

31. FractalCore

FractalCore

I import this into an empty project (DX11, Deferred Lighting), load the example scene, click play. The clouds and sky look perfect, runs well, no errors. Then after a few seconds the frame rate gets increasingly worse until it's just a slide show. Cranked the quality down, didn't help.

I tried the standalone build that was posted here. It runs perfectly smooth. I've got the latest geforce drivers. Why would it be running so bad in Unity?

32. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

any plans for dx 9 support? I want to buy this, but by going directx 11 only it effectly kills any possibility of making a profit off my game.

Another question, will this work with the oculus rift?

and 3rd question, the rain... does it collide with things? like rooftops when you enter a building.

33. HolBol

HolBol

Why would it being DX11 kill your profit?

34. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Because the vast majority of consumers still dont support direct x 11. Just look at the steam hardware survey. People who can run direct x 11 are at about 11 percent. So your limiting yourself to 11% of gamers.

35. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

Uh, am I missing something here? Doesn't look like 11% to me.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

blueivy and John-G like this.
  36. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

look at the 2nd image that says "DX10/11 Systems (Vista/Win7/8 + DX10/11 GPU)"

11.8% people capable of running dx 11 currently.

And even if your going to go off of just gpu itself... that says 75% are capable. Doesnt mean they will run it well, plus leaves out 25% of the population. Thats still HUGE.

but my point is if im reading those numbers correctly 88.2% of the population still cant do it.

Your basing it off gpu itself, but your forgetting you still need windows 7 or 8 and lots of poeple are still on windows xp and windows vista

37. HolBol

HolBol

Shame unity doesn't supply a in-code 'switch' for getting the game between a DX9 and DX11 version. Unless they do...

38. DirtyHippy

DirtyHippy

I see what you are saying, but these numbers on their page don't line up. The Win7/8+ accounts for ~90% of their installed base according to their OS page (out of 95% Windows). So with 95% Win7+ and 75% DX11 GPU how does that equate to 11% combined? As a side note, I find it very hard to believe a 11% number. 75% seems more reasonable to me at this stage.

In any event, 75% seems fine to me at this point to move to DX11. The numbers will only increase between now and the time you release your game and frankly most won't ever reach that point anyway, so the argument is academic. It took me less than an hour to wire up TrueSky so its not like it cost me much.

39. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

eitehr way, my questions about truesky still havent been answered.
    Does the rain collide with solid objects like rooftops?

40. andreibranescu

andreibranescu

Very nice sky, stunning visuals!
    I was wondering if it will ever be available on Linux. And if yes, when?
    Thank you!

41. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Hi,

I've got the latest version from the Unity Asset store and I'm having problems editing using the Sequencer.

When I run the scene everything works fine and I get the sky and all the effects rendered just as I would expect.

However I'm not able to edit values in the Sequencer. All buttons, sliders and text boxes in the main area are greyed out so I can't modify anything. The timeline bar on the Sequencer works fine, and I can drag the timeline and see the effects updated. But it's impossible to edit anything as everything above that is disabled (even the scrollbar doesn't work when it should).
    I can't find a workaround for this because it also happens in a brand new project created solely for the purpose of testing it out, on new sequences, and the example sequence.
    I've also tried it when making sure the sequence I'm trying to edit is not linked to the TrueSky object, but that doesn't help either.

I often get this error message come up in the Unity console: "UnathorizedAccessException - Access to the path [actual path]\TrueSkyUI_MD.dll" is denied. I think that must be the cause of the Sequencer interface appearing in this locked state, but the dll is where it thinks it is.

I've made sure all my files are not read only, so not sure what else to try.
    I've even told my anti-virus (Bitdefender) not to do anything in this area, but it makes no difference.
    I'm running Windows 7.

If anyone can help me out with this I'd really appreciate it. The effects are fantastic, but I'm completely unable to customize them at the moment (other than by manually moving the timeline and seeing it update that way).

If you need a screenshot to demonstrate what I mean about the Sequencer appearing disabled and greyed out, please let me know.

Thanks.

42. John-G

John-G

43. CityGen3D

CityGen3D

Thanks very much John. That thread had completely passed me by.
    Looks like there's some interesting stuff in there, so will send a mail and read though it.

Cheers!

44. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

no one answered my question about the rain. Does it collide with anything? If i am inside a building will i see it coming through the ceiling when i need it only to be outside the window?

45. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

The stuff this does is nice, might have to bite the bullit and use dx 11. I have to ask though. Does it work with occulus rift? And which thread should I be asking on? I see 2 truesky forum threads.

46. crazyhorse666

crazyhorse666

No I have tried even w
    Non I have tried even with mesh colliders on roof drops still keep coming .!

47. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Yea thats lame. What if you just wanted to have rain in the distance from this nad use your own particles near the player. Is it possible to tweak the rain based on distance?

48. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Can you send us a mail at contact@simul.co and I'll try to track down the issue for you?

49. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

I can see this is something that needs fixing. There are a number of ways to do it, but I think all will require some kind of input from the Unity side. We can put in a global control to limit the rain when you want. What would be your preferred solution?

50. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Really it's best to use the other one - now that the plugin is released it's no longer a "work in progress". Though obviously as we're still fixing things and adding features it is a work in progress. But please use the other thread, it helps us keep track if there's only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.