Search Unity

[CLOSED] trueSKY for Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rvkennedy, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

OK - new version, and sorry for the long delay!

The render DLL is called TrueSkyPluginRender_MT.dll - the dependency checker for RenderDependencies will give a meaningful report for this - it was looking for the old file before.

EDIT: This is version 3.0.0 - the upload should be complete now!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    John-G likes this.
  2. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

I just want to make sure that I'm reading this right....is there a decimal point missing somewhere?

3. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

No - but - there will be something awesome available at a lower price point. We're trying to nail down the details, and it is somewhat dependent on Unity and their T's and C's for the store. The trick is to keep it as an entry-level product for the indies, without eating into our AAA market. But still, it will be great. I'll keep you guys posted!

John-G likes this.
  4. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Yeah, ok.
    Good luck and all

rvkennedy likes this.
  5. Axel59

Axel59

The last package works...

But it's not seems very stable. I have many Unity crash just when i change the time value in play mode (with the example scene).

And Finally Unity freeze when I've try to change cloud parameters in the sequencer (in edit mode). And I can't reopen the Unity project (it's freeze).

All this just after 10 minutes of test. Do you have testing your package on differents computers?

6. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Thanks very much to everyone who's helped test trueSKY on Unity. The plugin is now at version 1.0 and ready for use.

And based on your feedback, we've created an entry-level package, trueSKY Alpha. And it's now available on the Unity store:: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17304

John-G likes this.
  7. John-G

John-G

Congrats on release, have this on my shopping list.
    What type weather effects are included, could you show a video of them in action.

8. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Oh let's see: time of day obviously, volumetric clouds (from cumulus humilis to cumulonimbus, cirrus, stratus and so on), rain, snow, godrays, rain fallstreaks, rainbows. Clouds you can fly through, clouds that wrap seamlessly around mountains. Sun, moon and stars. Integration with Unity - drive the lighting from trueSKY.

This is the launch video:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  9. sledgeman

sledgeman

Really impressive work. Reminds me to Vue xStream 2014 weather system. Seems to be equivalent in quality. Is this only DX 11 Plugin ? Will it be available for DX 9 and openGL 2.0 , in the near future ?

rvkennedy likes this.
  10. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Thanks for the compliment! Of course, we render in 2ms, they have all day :) I don't see us going back to DX9, as there's limited ongoing support for that from MS. OpenGL in the OSX version, but 3.0+

I've been asked for an executable demo, so here is one of those! It's a demo with a first-person controller and some weather changes - you will see: dawn, rain streaks, god-rays, particle effects, cloud changes, sunset and night-time over the course of a repeating day-cycle.

11. John-G

John-G

You mentioned sun moon and stars, are these accurately positioned by location and time?

12. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

This has definitely caught my eye.
    A couple of questions/observations if you don't mind... :)

First, are there any known "gotchas" as far as particles, water, reflection, that sort of thing?
    Also, I noticed looking down the valleys that the clouds formed noticeable patterns and rows off into the distance. Is this a general issue, or just something not configured in the noise settings for this particular scene?
    Any issues running on a 64 bit system?

Any thoughts on the terrain border, along the sky? I noticed a strange border effect, but it's really not that big.

Can you comment on licensing or other differences, for the asset store product?

Very beautiful clouds and sky, grats on such a nice product. May I suggest posting a demo with water also?

13. derkoi

derkoi

Shame it's only DX11, as a developer I can't ignore the many people who play on older PC hardware.

14. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

No gotchas that we've found, particles work fine. For reflection and water there's a bit of setup involved in capturing the sky for a cubemap.
    The clouds in the demo setting repeat at about 50km; this is configurable, you could have a cloud volume covering the whole visible region.
    No. We're all on 64-bit here.
    A fix is on its way. I'll activate AA in the next demo also.
    As long as your working under a budget of US$1M, there are no other restrictions.
    Time permitting, we'll get one up there - might be a delay as we're off to SIGGRAPH next week! A quick note on pricing: the permanent price we're setting for this will be $250. Until the end of this month, we'll have it at launch price, $150. But to get things kicked off, we'll be doing a 24-hour sale at $50! So if this is of interest, do check out the store page later today.

John-G likes this.
  15. John-G

John-G

Oh wow that's an unbelivable introduction price, and if I'm reading right it will be in the 24hr asset store sale today.
    Oh man I really want to get, but alas I'm away on holidays with no PC access.
    Asset store won't allow purchase thru smartphone :(

Still a great bargain for those that can avail of it.

Can you give more details on the astronomical aspect of the truesky package.

Do the sun moon and stars follow correct orbital paths for location and date/time?

16. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Yes - it's all correct ephemerides for sun, moon and stars, based on whatever latitude, longitude, date, and time you enter. Someone - someone - should make an Oculus-based planetarium with Unity. Any takers?

John-G likes this.
  17. John-G

John-G

That's brilliant, will pick this up for sure.
    One more quick question, do clouds generate shadows?
    Looking to make a naval sim that will incorporate realistic navigation using dead reckoning and celestical navigation using sextant. Will celestical orbits work using dates from 1940's?

18. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Yes - this should be visible in the demo I think.

Absolutely. Sounds awesome :)

19. braaad

braaad

Thanks for the sale! Will be grabbing it when I wake up.

20. John-G

John-G

Yah, found a third party browser that allows me spoof iphone to allow me browse as a desktop.
    Now I can purchase assets from my iphone.
    Will pick this up in the 24hr sale for sure, will it be tomorrow? Didn't appear to go on sale today.

21. hopeful

hopeful

I've seen other devs jump the gun by a day, so there's likely some sort of ambiguity in the way the timing of a sale is announced by Unity.

It probably goes on 24hr sale tomorrow.

John-G likes this.
  22. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

We're new at this! I'll ping you guys when it's time.

John-G likes this.
  23. John-G

John-G

Thanks Roderick.

24. braaad

braaad

Yeah the timing catches a lot of people.

@rvkennedy, is this an official Unity 24 hour sale?, if so it looks like it should start in ~15hrs when the current one finishes.

25. norby

norby

Strange , i wanted it to buy yesterday but i couldn't find it in the store
    Now there is but the price has changed. did the 24 Hour sale stop?

thanks

Norby

26. braaad

braaad

@norby Assuming it's on a Unity 24 hour sale it will start in about 1.5 hours when the other sale finishes. I think they jumped the gun by a day.

27. John-G

John-G

Not on 24hr sale today either :( hopefully tomorrow?
    Might be better to manually adjust price of asset for a day then revert back to normal price.

28. braaad

braaad

:(, looks like another days wait, maybe a confirmation if this is a Unity sale or just a temporary price drop on your part?

29. hopeful

hopeful

Not sure how far in advance Unity sets these sales. Obviously it's not on the sale today.

But ... I'm still looking forward to the sale. :)

30. Rico21745

Rico21745

This looks really nice and I'd pick it up if I had a bit more info.

Does TruSky Alpha have a runtime API? Can we trigger/query the system for things like rain, time of day, set/get current weather/cloud type, etc?

How about performance? What's the average ms it takes on GPU/CPU? Any settings exposed that would allow us to increase/decrease fidelity in exchange for better performance?

31. Guile_R

Guile_R

Just a heads up everyone, TrueSKY is available for $50 right now in the asset store. :p

John-G, rvkennedy and hopeful like this.
  32. braaad

braaad

33. hopeful

hopeful

Sneaky! Thanks for the tip ... hope the others catch it.

34. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

Yep - it happened overnight!

This is our own sale, so we have less control over timing. But I won't change it back before Monday, and that change may take a couple days to filter through.

I'll be starting a new announcement thread in the Asset Store forum, as I guess this is no longer a Work in Progress.

If you encounter any issues, you can contact us directly at contact@simul.co, or we can also use Unity Answers - tag your questions with truesky.

So - go get 'em, do let us know of any issues - and it would help greatly if you leave ratings and reviews! And post screenshots!

Thanks again everyone for your interest and support.

braaad and John-G like this.
  35. John-G

John-G

Excellent picked up just now. :)

36. norby

norby

yeeaah nice , i bought it too
    let's play

Norby

37. rvkennedy

rvkennedy

John-G likes this.
  38. John-G

John-G

Hi Roderick,

First, I've just started to play around with TrueSky (Just messing with the included Demo and what can I say I'm blown away. This is an amazing product, with an amazing feature set.
    There is so much power to generating clouds systems to a users preference. I've only touched the surface of what it has to show for itself.

Had a few crashes, though to be expected with an Alpha - even crashed my display drivers at one stage lol.

One issue to report is when creating a new setup form Menu-Initialize TrueSky in scene.
    The setup does not add a light component to the Sunlight Object.

Manually added light component

Is there a link to documentation on the Sequence feature and what each function does.
    Noticed a regional setting for weather effects and wondering how thats used. Also looking for info on the Map tab of the Sequencer, what is it used for?

EDIT: Also how to show stars?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    rvkennedy likes this.
  39. Rico21745

Rico21745

No answer?

40. John-G

John-G

Ok found some docs on the sequencer:
    https://www.simul.co/wp-content/uploads/documentation/html/sequencer.html

I've altered my lat/log position but am unable to figure out how to store that into the sequencer? As soon as I hit play it defaults back to original settings.

Still can't seem to get stars or shadows to show??

@Rico21745: Not sure about API calls (I'm a non programmer) but here is a pic of performance.

Running with double the render distance of 100km of default 50km.

EDIT: Sun, Moon, and other planetary bodies are not being rendered as well as stars.
    There are lights being omitted from the sun and moon, but no textured objects or visual representation of these bodies in the scene.
    E.g the moon illuminates clouds but there is no moon visually present to the camera.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  41. John-G

John-G

A few pics of it in action.

Noticed another small issue, weather effect have no means to attach sounds that I can see off, so no loud clasps of thunder or sound of rain.
    Also doesn't appear to be a 3d representation of lightning strikes, the clouds illuminate but no visual lightning.

Guile_R likes this.
  42. norby

norby

Hi Rvkennedy

you mentioned "OpenGL in the OSX version, but 3.0+"
    The plugin is now at version 1.0
    Do you have a timeframe for the OSX compatible version?
    maybe i missed something :)

Thanks

Norby

43. norby

norby

wow great pictures

Norby

44. Rico21745

Rico21745

Eh you know what, forget it. If this is what this asset's support is like when it's first released, I have no faith in the creator to provide any sort of meaningful support. Something as basic as a scripting API for a weather system is extremely important yet not present in the linked documentation.

Best of luck to those of you looking to purchase this. I'm no longer interested.

45. John-G

John-G

I would imagine that they are off work till monday, so I would expect support then. I'm sure you'll get a reply tomorrow ;)

Also they mentioned that they were at Siggraph this year http://s2014.siggraph.org/ (not sure if all team is attending) and that runs from 10-14 aug so between heading there from the UK I would expect support to be slim for a few days, they will have their hands full for the next few days.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    rvkennedy likes this.
  46. thylaxene

thylaxene

Can I suggest you up the price when you release OSX support?

47. John-G

John-G

He posted above stating price will rise to $250.

48. VIC20

VIC20

Will the later Mac version included in trueSky alpha? (I have no real use for Windows versions)

thylaxene and JohnRossitter like this.
  49. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I just purchased it and it looks fantastic! I do have a few questions though...

One thing I did notice is that everything gets washed out with color space being linear. Am I doing something wrong?

The sun/moon that's integrated; is it possible to have that as a directional light to enable shadows in my scene? Or will I have to script the light source to move in sync with the sky?

Is it possible to create a blank Sequence, or will I have to delete the set keys? I've tried that and it crashed Unity.

Any thoughts on integrating this with Unity 5 and their GI system? :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  50. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Were you able to get you plane to fly through the clouds? I know there website talk about being able to. If so, how did you achieve that? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.